It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I don't really like moving the PGA Championship, which would take away a lot of opportunity for Midwestern
locations but I like the fact that they are trying to think about this differently. Should be interesting to see
what happens. As long as it doesn't interfere with the 2020 Olympics!

The PGA Tour’s FedEx Cup has been around for a decade, and it’s done a great job in creating a logical end to the season, complete with a massive payday for a season-long champion and four closing events with elite fields.

However, the FedEx Cup playoffs and the PGA Tour season end in late September, weeks into both college football and NFL seasons. By then, golf is on the back burner for sports fans, meaning the audience for the playoffs isn’t nearly as big as it could be.

The PGA Tour seems to have realized this, with chatter at the Tour Championship last September about the possibility of ending the playoffs before Labor Day. Bumping up the FedEx Cup playoffs would have wide-reaching impact on the PGA Tour schedule, including the possibility of moving The Players Championship back to March and slotting the PGA Championship, run by the PGA of America, into May from its now-traditional August spot.

New PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan, who took over on Jan. 1 for the retiring Tim Finchem, seems ready to pursue this change.

“That’s certainly something that we would like to see happen,” Monahan said to the Wall St. Journal. “Having big events every month, culminating in the FedEx Cup playoffs in August prior to the NFL season, that would be a very powerful schedule.”

Of course, the change would require the co-operation of the PGA of America, who would have to cede that August spotlight while losing some of the northeastern and Midwestern courses that it goes to with its biggest championship. While May might open the door to other venues in the southern half of the country, that may not be the right payoff to gain some additional prestige in being the second major instead of the erstwhile Glory’s Last Shot.

Such a change probably wouldn’t take shape until 2019, Monahan suggested. That would come in time for 2020, however, when golf returns to the Olympics and the sport needs to alter its schedule again to accommodate the gold-medal competition.

Last edited by T-Bone on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I already despise the more recent "carryover" schedule change, but since that's the "old man yells at clouds" viewpoint, may as well make it end as proposed. Maybe while the new commissioner's at it, he can bring back an annual tour stop to the area.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I really enjoyed the western open when it was July 4 weekend at Cog Hill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I don't like this. Just keep it the way it is.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I stopped reading when it said the FedEx Cup is great. Easily the worst playoff in the history of organized sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am 

Just changed the name of the thread, thought this would be more productive going forward. Anybody watch much of the
golf this past weekend? I pretty much just watched the highlights. Nice to see Justin Thomas put it all together and take
another step to becoming another of the young guns. Pretty exciting time to be a fan of the PGA Tour right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:57 am 
100000 CLUB

It was nice to see some live, meaningful golf. I watched most of Friday and Saturday, and flipped it on yesterday during commercials of the NFL playoffs.

Don't sleep on Matsuyama either. He is already probably the best Japanese player to ever play on the PGA tour and he is likey to get even better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
It's really something to see Thomas "jump" while hitting a drive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It was nice to see some live, meaningful golf. I watched most of Friday and Saturday, and flipped it on yesterday during commercials of the NFL playoffs.

Don't sleep on Matsuyama either. He is already probably the best Japanese player to ever play on the PGA tour and he is likey to get even better.

I'd agree. I know that he has been the hottest player on the planet the last few months and another young guy on the cusp.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:29 pm 

meh, they've been saying that about Matsuyama for a while now. Wake me up when he finishes higher than 4th in a Major.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:40 pm 

He's great tee to green but I think his putting will hold him back from being one of the elite players on tour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:13 am 
100000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
meh, they've been saying that about Matsuyama for a while now. Wake me up when he finishes higher than 4th in a Major.
He finished in the top 7 at two of the majors last year. I agree that his putting may hold him back a little, but he is white heat red hot right now, so it stands to reason that its possible for him to go on another run like this in April or June.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Some of you must be watching imaginary golf. Matusyama finished 52nd in putts per round last year.

Jimmy Walker won the PGA Championship. He was 46th.

Stenson (Open Championship) was 75th on the Euro Tour and Danny Willett (Masters) was 93rd.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:14 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:
He finished in the top 7 at two of the majors last year. I agree that his putting may hold him back a little, but he is white heat red hot right now, so it stands to reason that its possible for him to go on another run like this in April or June.

he's red hot now? That's great, the season hasn't even started. This is like getting excited about a pitcher in spring training. Let's talk if the guy is still on fire and winning tournaments in March and April.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 pm 

shakes wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:

he's red hot now? That's great, the season hasn't even started. This is like getting excited about a pitcher in spring training. Let's talk if the guy is still on fire and winning tournaments in March and April.

The season started in October.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Chus wrote:
Some of you must be watching imaginary golf. Matusyama finished 52nd in putts per round last year.

Jimmy Walker won the PGA Championship. He was 46th.

Stenson (Open Championship) was 75th on the Euro Tour and Danny Willett (Masters) was 93rd.

But he was 103rd in strokes gained putting in 2016 (Walker was 46th). With that said, and with the way he strikes the ball, all he needs is a hot putter for 4 days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Not surprised about the proposed PGA Champs move. This has been talked about years, actually. Masters in April, PGA in May, US Open in June, British in July. I've always felt that the gap between Augusta and the Open was odd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:22 pm 

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:

The season started in October.

we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. Season starts when they get back from Hawaii and the field is full.

No one gives a fuck about the wrap around season or the golf vacation everyone takes to Hawaii.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

The wraparound season is a joke. However from a OWGR and FedExCup points perspective, those events over the Fall are just as important as any tournament not including a major.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:57 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
The wraparound season is a joke. However from a OWGR and FedExCup points perspective, those events over the Fall are just as important as any tournament not including a major.

OWGR and FedExCup are also a pointless joke IMO which further reduces the value of the wrap around season.

FedExCup: Come see the guy worth $150 million and the guy worth $130 million battle it out to see which one will get $10 million and which one will get $7 million. CAN YOU FEEL THE EXCITEMENT!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

I dont care what Rory and Moore are worth. The Tour Championship was damn entertaining. Thats why I watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:17 am 

Nice 59 by Justin Thomas yesterday. These guys are getting too good. I watched about an hour or so last night. A lot of
coverage of Matsuyama. I really don't enjoy watching him play at all, he is unhappy about every single shot he hits. The
announcer says, " oh he doesn't seem to like that one" as he appears to be pissed off and dropping a hand off the club
and it ends up landing on the green 20ft away. Kind of Tiger-esque in a way. I found it annoying. Yeah, I get it, you
didn't hit it perfectly. That's golf.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:39 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Nice 59 by Justin Thomas yesterday. These guys are getting too good. I watched about an hour or so last night. A lot of
coverage of Matsuyama. I really don't enjoy watching him play at all, he is unhappy about every single shot he hits. The
announcer says, " oh he doesn't seem to like that one" as he appears to be pissed off and dropping a hand off the club
and it ends up landing on the green 20ft away. Kind of Tiger-esque in a way. I found it annoying. Yeah, I get it, you
didn't hit it perfectly. That's golf.

The frequency of sub-60 rounds (only 7 total ever) in recent years is alarming. I appreciate the achievement, but it's getting harder for me to not question how the combination of golf ball tech and cement fairways is contributing to the trend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:35 am 

Jaye Marie Green practices for the LPGA's season opener by hitting golf balls in a bikini

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jaye-ma ... al_twitter

WOULD

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:16 am 

Tiger coming back to a regular tour event this week. Should be interesting. I believe he is playing somewhere the next 4 out of 5 weeks.
I'll be happy if he can make the cut. I'll likely be watching quite a bit of golf this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:23 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Tiger coming back to a regular tour event this week. Should be interesting. I believe he is playing somewhere the next 4 out of 5 weeks.
I'll be happy if he can make the cut. I'll likely be watching quite a bit of golf this weekend.

Supposedly the rough is going to hellacious because of all of the weather they have had, I feel a wrist injury on the horizon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:43 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Supposedly the rough is going to hellacious because of all of the weather they have had, I feel a wrist injury on the horizon.

Ah, nice to have you back Hawger. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:20 pm 

Welcome back, Hawg.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:39 pm 

Mucho Gracias you 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Hi Hawg.

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next