It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:10 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Thanks, shakes. Its just on longer chips and pitches. I very rarely shank a full shot unless I swing like a complete jerk. But I suppose the same premise you listed above could apply on shorter shots so I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Seriously considering a change in irons away from my blades to something more on the game-improvement side.

While I prefer the look of a blade and absolutely love my Miura's, the loss in distance on off-center hits is pretty dramatic. And this is from a 9-handicap who practices at least once a week.

Spending some coin on lessons is an option as well, but even the most consistent swing in the world will have miss-hits. I'm a believer that it's the indian, not the arrow, but you still need the right tools for the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Seriously considering a change in irons away from my blades to something more on the game-improvement side.

While I prefer the look of a blade and absolutely love my Miura's, the loss in distance on off-center hits is pretty dramatic. And this is from a 9-handicap who practices at least once a week.

Spending some coin on lessons is an option as well, but even the most consistent swing in the world will have miss-hits. I'm a believer that it's the indian, not the arrow, but you still need the right tools for the job.

I totally get this. You can find some nice forged irons in cavity back designs if that is an option for you. A bit more forgiving but still keeps a lot of
the feel. I moved from the MP-33 to the MP-25 and while I miss that blade look, I enjoy being able to get away with a not-so perfect shot much more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!

Hank Haney says on his radio show that with the technology out there these days even the top pros shouldn't be using blades anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I hit Ugie's 4 iron once. It was painful. :lol:

I play the chunkiest irons I can stand to look at. I even play the matching gap and sand wedges now and they perform wonderfully. These are 2008 Mizunos. Improved forgiveness across the face is why I'm eyeing new irons.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Thanks, shakes. Its just on longer chips and pitches. I very rarely shank a full shot unless I swing like a complete jerk. But I suppose the same premise you listed above could apply on shorter shots so I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

A hozzle strike can happen just as easily with a short chip as it can with a long iron.

With a shank, most of the time its a hozzle strike which is always caused by diving at the ball and changing the angle of attack.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:09 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

I play the chunkiest irons I can stand to look at. I even play the matching gap and sand wedges now and they perform wonderfully. These are 2008 Mizunos. Improved forgiveness across the face is why I'm eyeing new irons.

I miss the face often enough with a driver to know that me + blades would be pure comedy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:

Yeah, I am thinking a shopping spree in the used club market may be in my near future. The Callaway Apex irons from 2014 were, at the time, the best clubs I ever hit. Wonder if I can find those for a deep discount...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:54 am 

After two weeks of limbo I finally rectified my driver situation by going out and buying the exact same Ping G30 that I broke, but by mistake I had them put the jumbo grip on instead of the regular size I've been using. Figured I would give it a try and see if I like it. Played in my league last night and hit 7/7 fairways so think I'm gonna stick with the big grip for a while.

Got my match tomorrow in the Sportsman Cup vs a guy who is known for being extremely anal about the rules so need to buckle down and make sure I don't mess any up. For instance, evidently I have a habit of teeing up about an inch in front of the tee markers. Instant penalty stroke. Actually I'm not even sure what the penalty for that is, maybe its even worse than a stroke. Either way, something I better not do tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:25 pm 

shakes wrote:
After two weeks of limbo I finally rectified my driver situation by going out and buying the exact same Ping G30 that I broke, but by mistake I had them put the jumbo grip on instead of the regular size I've been using. Figured I would give it a try and see if I like it. Played in my league last night and hit 7/7 fairways so think I'm gonna stick with the big grip for a while.

Got my match tomorrow in the Sportsman Cup vs a guy who is known for being extremely anal about the rules so need to buckle down and make sure I don't mess any up. For instance, evidently I have a habit of teeing up about an inch in front of the tee markers. Instant penalty stroke. Actually I'm not even sure what the penalty for that is, maybe its even worse than a stroke. Either way, something I better not do tomorrow.

Did you get an oversize grip or a jumbo? I've been playing oversized grips for probably 4-5 years now and love them. I don't have large hands
( hey, they aren't Trump sized either ), but just like the feel of them being a bit bigger and believe that it reduces some of the hand action during
the swing. Hard to argue with hitting all of your fairways.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Did you get an oversize grip or a jumbo? I've been playing oversized grips for probably 4-5 years now and love them. I don't have large hands
( hey, they aren't Trump sized either ), but just like the feel of them being a bit bigger and believe that it reduces some of the hand action during
the swing. Hard to argue with hitting all of your fairways.

not sure if its technically over sized or jumbo, also not sure of the difference between the two. It's the golf pride tour wrap grips, I got the biggest one whichever that is. Definitely feels too big for my hand, but if my wife can deal with that sensation for the 10 years I've known her then so can I.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dropped off a set of Srixon Z765s at the PGA Superstore in Downers to get the lie angles adjusted. Putting the Miuras away for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 pm 

Good to hear, shakes

I use an extra wrap or 2 under the lower hand to reduce taper/hand action.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
The round at the Midlothian Country Club was not great. Hope to be much more consistent tomorrow at the JORR Open.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:38 am 

Dropped off a set of Srixon Z765s at the PGA Superstore in Downers to get the lie angles adjusted. Putting the Miuras away for a bit.

Those are some sharp looking sticks. What kind of shafts do you have on them?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 am 

Looks like a perfect weekend for golf starting this afternoon. Definitely getting out each morning this weekend. Might be able to sneak out
this afternoon but a lot going on in the office.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:04 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:

Interestingly enough, Srixon sent me a set with the GRAPHITE(!) Miyazaki Kaula shafts. Same shafts that come stock in their drivers.

Apparently more companies are focusing on graphite these days since there are more options and opportunities to improve on the golf shaft. Steel shafts have reached the end of their technology yield.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 am 

T-Bone wrote:

Interestingly enough, Srixon sent me a set with the GRAPHITE(!) Miyazaki Kaula shafts. Same shafts that come stock in their drivers.

Apparently more companies are focusing on graphite these days since there are more options and opportunities to improve on the golf shaft. Steel shafts have reached the end of their technology yield.

I don't know enough about shaft technology but I got the KBS C-Taper shafts on recommendation from the guy at Golfsmith that was helping me with
my fitting. I told him I wanted to hit the ball lower and those were supposed to help spin the ball less and hit it lower. They look just like graphite
shafts because they are not stepped at all. I wouldn't say I hit the ball a lot lower with them but I can flight it lower on knock downs and such. I
don't see many graphites on irons, but I would probably agree with you that it may be more common in the future because of the options it gives you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:15 am 

Lost my match yesterday :( Was getting 6 strokes and started out great, was up 1 through 6 and tied with him straight up. Was putting really well with a 40 foot lip out birdie putt followed by a must make 10 foot par putt that I sunk. Then shanked a wedge on 7 and ended the hole with a bad mental error where I picked up my ball thinking the hole was over when really I had a 4 foot putt to tie. Oops. Battled back and was all square after 10 and then he would go up one and then back to all square for a few holes even though I was starting to have some bad shots. Shanked another wedge on one hole. Then, totally choked on #16. We were both 50 yards out for our approach (very short par 4) and he put his in the sand. I followed by doing the exact same thing and then skulled one out of the compact wet sand over the green and lost the hole to go 2 down rather than squaring it up. Topped my drive on 17 and then put two in the water before conceding the match in the middle of the fairway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 am 

T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I don't know enough about shaft technology but I got the KBS C-Taper shafts on recommendation from the guy at Golfsmith that was helping me with
my fitting. I told him I wanted to hit the ball lower and those were supposed to help spin the ball less and hit it lower. They look just like graphite
shafts because they are not stepped at all. I wouldn't say I hit the ball a lot lower with them but I can flight it lower on knock downs and such. I
don't see many graphites on irons, but I would probably agree with you that it may be more common in the future because of the options it gives you.

Graphite iron shafts have come a long way in term of performance, but I couldn't justify the cost unless I had tendonitis issues in my wrists. You have so many options in steel shafts today to really fine-tune things.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
My game is coming along. Still too much overswinging on the tee. With 45 degree left dribblers and the heavy slice short at times. Also trying to range in my clubs to know which to pick out of the bag.

Was making solid hits, but ending way short of intended target area. Nike Method putter is a new addition, and has changed my perspective on the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:44 pm 

Played Chevy Chase yesterday, had my most consistent round of the year. 42-40-82. Did everything well.

Then today, went to Ravisloe, paid $150 for me and the wife, picked up and called it a day on #6 after my 5th shank of the day. Now just driving the cart.

Having a bad back sure is a lot of fun, pretty enjoyable going to the course not knowing if I can even swing a club that day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
That sucks, Shakes.

My back was way better today than the other time I played this year. Shot 92 but felt much better. Chipped in on back to back holes which I have never done in my life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Got back out yesterday. Shot a 56-53 which is much more in line with where I expected to be. If I could golf every weekend, I'm sure I could get sub 100 which has always been my goal but I've been two times in a month and I probably wont get out again this summer :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 am 
1000 CLUB

Got out both Saturday and Sunday this weekend, which is a rarity for me.

Played Ruffled Feathers the first day. Windy as hell and a bit slow-moving. However, my buddy and I got paired with another solid player, which always makes the day go by better. Played in the afternoon and was running out of daylight toward the end of the round, so we combined with another threesome and played as a SIX the final two holes. We all played "ready golf" where, at times, two of us would hit simultaneously. That was surprisingly a lot of fun.

Went out to Mistwood on Sunday. Played with a few guys I haven't seen in years. Windy as hell again, but it was nice to all be around the same skill level (especially since we were playing a money game). Managed to only lose $10, which would have been a rarity with those players back in the day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I hit the ball OK at the JOrr outing on Friday. Out of the gate I played well, and put a couple shots closer to the pin than Furious, but I was just off the green and he was on. I did not putt very well all day.

Saturday i went out to Gleneagles (white) with some buddies, and the first 5 holes it was like I had never golfed before. 8,7, 8, 6 (par 3), 6 to start. Then I pulled my head out of my ass and started playing better, especially on the back. Ended up with 54-44. Did not putt well there either, as I just could not get the speed down. My shot of the day was a 7 iron from about 150 out that I put about 5' from the pin, and of course left the birdie putt short. Consistently inconsistent has been the name of the game for me the last few times out.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I'm going to play next Saturday with the goofs from my bowling team.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 am 

Chus wrote:
I'm going to play next Saturday with the goofs from my bowling team.

We need to have another Weed Open!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL

I had the same thought process.

After struggling with my Titleist 716 MB short irons (7-PW) and only hitting about 50% of my greens I made the switch to the Callaway Apex CF16 combo set, 4-7 are Apex, 8,9 and PW are Apex Pro's. Played league tonight and hit 8 of 9 greens.

Picked them up on Callaway Preowned with Tour Issue Dynamic Gold AMT S400 shafts for a pretty good price. Glad I made the switch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:22 am 

After a tough week out of town, looking forward to golf the next four mornings in a row.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next