It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:19 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I plugged one of my drives yesterday. :lol:

Ugie was playing the latest Srixon driver yesterday. I hit it on 18 and for the 1st in 5 years I want a new driver. Just felt more solid and stable (might have been the 9.5 loft/stiff flex, but I loaded it okay) than what I'm playing now. Love the lack of graphics on the head, too.

I did a fitting at Club Champion a few years back and nothing beat my current driver setup. My swing has changed and I hit a higher ball now Not saying I am getting the Srixon, but I'm definitely getting fitted for a new driver this year.

5 days until RTJ Trail time.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I suck at this game :(

55 for 9 holes yesterday including a 10 on a par 4 with two in the drink. I cant even really blame the wind as 2 of my best drives of the day were frozen ropes straight into the wind. It was a very frustrating day.

My best shot of the day was hitting out of a bunker to about 3'. I sank the putt for a 7 and The Championship :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Got out for 9 on Saturday. My problems with the driver have continued to get worse from year to year, now all I can do is either slice it 190 yards or top it 50 yards if I try to avoid a slice. Ended up shooting 45 because my short game has been fantastic so far this season, but the driver is ruining my love of the game to the point where I don't even really want to play anymore. Sat home all day yesterday rather than play golf.

I'm going to find a new instructor, try to get some new eyes on the problem. I'm at the point now where I'm pretty much convinced that my back is making it impossible to swing a driver considering how much of a difference there is between the way I hit a driver and the way I hit every other club in the bag. I doubt anyone out there has that much of a discrepancy between one club and the rest of the clubs in their bag. If you lined up 100 amateur golfers and had them hit a driver I would easily be in the bottom 5-10. If you did the same thing with the other clubs in the bag I'm guessing I would be anywhere from the top 20 to top 40 depending on the club.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
shakes wrote:
Got out for 9 on Saturday. My problems with the driver have continued to get worse from year to year, now all I can do is either slice it 190 yards or top it 50 yards if I try to avoid a slice. Ended up shooting 45 because my short game has been fantastic so far this season, but the driver is ruining my love of the game to the point where I don't even really want to play anymore. Sat home all day yesterday rather than play golf.

I'm going to find a new instructor, try to get some new eyes on the problem. I'm at the point now where I'm pretty much convinced that my back is making it impossible to swing a driver considering how much of a difference there is between the way I hit a driver and the way I hit every other club in the bag. I doubt anyone out there has that much of a discrepancy between one club and the rest of the clubs in their bag. If you lined up 100 amateur golfers and had them hit a driver I would easily be in the bottom 5-10. If you did the same thing with the other clubs in the bag I'm guessing I would be anywhere from the top 20 to top 40 depending on the club.

I'm far from a PGA teaching pro, but if you are able to hit other clubs, it's likely not your back. Do you think it might be a mental thing at this point?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Shakes has got the yips.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:31 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
shakes wrote:

I'm far from a PGA teaching pro, but if you are able to hit other clubs, it's likely not your back. Do you think it might be a mental thing at this point?

No, I think its because I have trouble making a body turn and that seems to be a big part of hitting the driver. As a result of not being able to turn my body I believe I end up trying to do too much with my arms to make up for it and the results are either a big over the top swing or an awful mishit when I try to get rid of the slice spin. Last year I had some minor success with this by closing my left shoulder, trying to make contact with the inside back of the ball and also trying to stay back on my right foot as long as possible. But, trying that this year has resulted in me topping the ball 50 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
shakes wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
shakes wrote:

No, I think its because I have trouble making a body turn and that seems to be a big part of hitting the driver. As a result of not being able to turn my body I believe I end up trying to do too much with my arms to make up for it and the results are either a big over the top swing or an awful mishit when I try to get rid of the slice spin. Last year I had some minor success with this by closing my left shoulder, trying to make contact with the inside back of the ball and also trying to stay back on my right foot as long as possible. But, trying that this year has resulted in me topping the ball 50 feet.

Sounds similar to me Shakes. My pro that I took lessons from solved that for me with drilling. I also had back surgeries and while I have been healed perfectly I have always had a block with wanting to follow through completely and twist etc. We will see if the changes hold up for me this year but that mental back restriction on the woods was a real thing.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 am 

Go to the range and hit a bucket of balls a couple of times...only bring your driver. Work on swinging easy. I'd also get a lesson from a good pro.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:52 am 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:

Could also be a spine angle thing. Have you taken a video of your swing? If so, look at your shoulders. Do they stay tilted throughout the swing?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:16 pm 

scheduled a lesson with the pro who runs the golf league I play in at Sportsman. He was intrigued by my issues when I let him know that I have deep pockets and am historically known for throwing money at all my golf related problems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:21 am 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
I let him know that I have deep pockets and am historically known for throwing money at all my golf related problems.

:lol:

How often do you pull this out?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:35 am 
100000 CLUB

He left out the part about having short arms, which is a problem when you have deep pockets and can't hit a driver.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Just curious if a strong 3 wood or hybrid might be an answer for you. Maybe with the shorter club and the right shaft and
loft you could still push it out there good enough and not have to fight it so much.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 am 

I use my #3 Nike Slingshot hybrid all the time from the fairway and on longish par 3s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm 

Saturday - Hampton Cove - 36 holes

Sunday - The Shoals - 36 holes

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:05 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Just curious if a strong 3 wood or hybrid might be an answer for you. Maybe with the shorter club and the right shaft and
loft you could still push it out there good enough and not have to fight it so much.

Can't hit a 3 wood, same problems I have with the driver. Tried going all hybrid in the past, but the margin of error is too small for the hybrid compared to a driver and the occasional bad mishit coupled with the ball going a max of 200 yards when I hit it perfect isn't a very appealing long term solution.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm 

We hit Nashville on Friday around 11:00 and tee off at 12:50 for a warmup round at Ray Floyd's course:

Lunch before the round at Willie Mae's a few miles away:

We hit up Willie Mae's shortly after they opened at 11. Decent crowd already. Basic menu - I had the brisket on Texas toast with mac/cheese and green beans. It was out of this world. Subtle taste and meat just melted in your mouth.

The Legacy was a really great value at $36. Bermuda green, which was unexpected. Perfect for warm-up round.

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:23 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

Those are some dirt cheap prices. Bet the place is really good, but you won't know for sure until you get there and see that they give everyone a stack of white bread with the meat. That's when you know its authentic southern bbq.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:30 am 

Have a great time Furious!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 am 
100000 CLUB

That is a great pic of Hawg on that menu.

Hit 'em straight, FS!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:11 am 

A slice of pecan pie, a diet Dr. Pepper and a big, fat spliff post-meal/pre-round.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:47 am 

Not sure why I didn't think of this first shakes. I see these on TV all the time so you know they have to be good.

https://go.gx7golf.com/get/gx7xmetal/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Can't hit a 3 wood, same problems I have with the driver. Tried going all hybrid in the past, but the margin of error is too small for the hybrid compared to a driver and the occasional bad mishit coupled with the ball going a max of 200 yards when I hit it perfect isn't a very appealing long term solution.

Have you ever been properly fitted for a driver?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:11 pm 

Franky T wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Have you ever been properly fitted for a driver?

yes and not surprisingly, its not the clubs' fault.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 am 
100000 CLUB

Playing 9 holes early tomorrow. Hoping for nobody else out there so I can play two balls and maybe practice some extra chips & putts. Its a par 35 course, so being under 45 with at least one ball would be a nice goal to achieve.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am 

First off both days. Probably be in the low 40s and maybe a little windy but not horrible. Actually hoping it is a little bit drier
out there since it didn't rain too much all week long. Tee times start at 6am starting this weekend so nice to begin getting out there
and done before 10 again. Been hitting the ball pretty decent but just need to avoid the blow up holes. I've been playing
from the tips with no roll so I am not doing myself any favors on courses that are already over 6800-6900 yards when it is dry out

Last edited by T-Bone on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:13 am 

Just spotted someone flying Old Glory, the rebel flag and the Nazi flag outside of Springfield TN.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
Just spotted someone flying Old Glory, the rebel flag and the Nazi flag outside of Springfield TN.

well, I guess I won't be moving there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Furious Styles wrote:

You should stop and ask to use their bathroom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Went out to Old Oak today in Homer Glen and it was a shit show all around.

First, there was a 90-minute frost delay in the morning that pushed every tee time back the same amount. So my 11:10am time instantly became 12:40. But then the first tee starter happened.

This guy was pushing people off the tee in about 5-minute increments. It got to be so ridiculous that I actually teed off at 11:20am. While I understand what the starter was trying to do, this led to insane backups on every hole. By the second hole there were FIVE GROUPS backed up from green back to the tee.

I birdied the opening hole (par 5) but then the death march happened. My opening nine took over 3 hours to play, at which point I shook hands with the group I was paired with and headed to my car.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next