It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
The price of the round is the standard guest fee at the club. I would bet anywhere up to $200 for some of the nicer clubs. I think its $175 to try Bull Valley. I don't think I would pay that, but something like $100-$125 to try out some of the clubs around Chicago would definitely be worth it for me.

For me, I'm putting a little more focus on quality over quantity than I have in the past. With work being so busy my golf has suffered. Last year I played 20 less rounds than the year before. So I don't mind putting a little more $$ into a round since I'm playing way less than in the past.

If I'm going to be playing on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I'd rather pay an extra $40 and be on an empty CC course than pay the usual and spend 5 hours on a packed muni.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
shakes wrote:
The price of the round is the standard guest fee at the club. I would bet anywhere up to $200 for some of the nicer clubs. I think its $175 to try Bull Valley. I don't think I would pay that, but something like $100-$125 to try out some of the clubs around Chicago would definitely be worth it for me.

For me, I'm putting a little more focus on quality over quantity than I have in the past. With work being so busy my golf has suffered. Last year I played 20 less rounds than the year before. So I don't mind putting a little more $$ into a round since I'm playing way less than in the past.

If I'm going to be playing on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I'd rather pay an extra $40 and be on an empty CC course than pay the usual and spend 5 hours on a packed muni.

Makes sense. Too bad they don't have the rates posted. Good idea anyway. I don't have any big plans to play in IL that much but I think
if I were to play I would like to check out a couple of courses you gave good ratings to, most notably Ravisloe and Highlands of Elgin (?).
Pretty sure I have covered most of the northern burbs since I got to Stonewall last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Makes sense. Too bad they don't have the rates posted. Good idea anyway. I don't have any big plans to play in IL that much but I think
if I were to play I would like to check out a couple of courses you gave good ratings to, most notably Ravisloe and Highlands of Elgin (?).
Pretty sure I have covered most of the northern burbs since I got to Stonewall last year.

As nice as Ravisloe is, I don't think its worth the drive for you. It's nearly an hour for me to get there from the north side of the city. HOE is a little closer and easier to get to for you I would imagine. That one is worth the drive I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:08 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

As nice as Ravisloe is, I don't think its worth the drive for you. It's nearly an hour for me to get there from the north side of the city. HOE is a little closer and easier to get to for you I would imagine. That one is worth the drive I think.

I'm not one to shy away from a drive to play a nice course but point taken. They are both beyond my usual range and it would likely eat up most of
a day for me to go and play either of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:23 pm 

Went to the Northern Illinois Golf Expo at the Lake County fairgrounds. I was pretty under impressed. I think there is a lot of potential if they can get a full venue. A lot of really old clubs and junk there. There were quite a few other items that were worth finding but I really didn't need to bring home yet another putter or set of clubs I always wanted when I was growing up. I left there and went to Golf Galaxy to browse around. Glad that I did. Found a Titleist 915 D3 driver in the used club section with the correct shaft on it. Had a lot of success with it in the hitting cage and walked out the store with a new driver for under $200. Wasn't actively looking for a driver but that club was on my short list and at $450 brand new two seasons ago I'm thrilled to find it. Also pretty sure what I'm going to get for a hybrid ne wedge in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If its not all mush, I might actually try to get out for 9 holes this weekend. Supposed to be in the mid-upper 40s Thursday thru Sunday.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
T-Bone wrote:
Found a Titleist 915 D3 driver in the used club section with the correct shaft on it. Had a lot of success with it in the hitting cage and walked out the store with a new driver for under $200. Wasn't actively looking for a driver but that club was on my short list and at $450 brand new two seasons ago I'm thrilled to find it.

Nice score! Used bin finds are the best. I used to do that quite a bit when I was putting together a real bag and started experimenting with putters and fairway woods. I mostly stick to eBay now. I just bought a Mizuno 5 hybrid that matches my current setup. Figure I will keep this set as a backup set when I buy the Callys. Plus, I may go back to them later in life because it is hard to find game-improvement irons with a 46* pitching wedge. Might want to go back to a 46/52/58 wedge combo and walk/carry with a 10-12 club setup.

donspiracy bought my Cleveland 52/58 wedges and his short game instantly got way better.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:40 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Found a Titleist 915 D3 driver in the used club section with the correct shaft on it. Had a lot of success with it in the hitting cage and walked out the store with a new driver for under $200. Wasn't actively looking for a driver but that club was on my short list and at $450 brand new two seasons ago I'm thrilled to find it.

Nice score! Used bin finds are the best. I used to do that quite a bit when I was putting together a real bag and started experimenting with putters and fairway woods. I mostly stick to eBay now. I just bought a Mizuno 5 hybrid that matches my current setup. Figure I will keep this set as a backup set when I buy the Callys. Plus, I may go back to them later in life because it is hard to find game-improvement irons with a 46* pitching wedge. Might want to go back to a 46/52/58 wedge combo and walk/carry with a 10-12 club setup.

donspiracy bought my Cleveland 52/58 wedges and his short game instantly got way better.

I agree it is nice to find a club you want in the used bin. Somewhere someone has purchased a club that they either can't hit or don't like
and bring it back. Always worth a look and it is how I have picked up my 3 wood that I love as well. After buying a new driver online spec'd
out just right and not being able to hit it worth shit I now have to actually hit it in a cage or outside somewhere. I am sure 9 times out of 10
it would be fine but this one time I got burned and I can't convince myself to buy anything other than wedges without hitting them in person.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Do yourselves a favor and make Goodwill a frequent stop on your weekends.

Last month I found a full set (3 - PW) of Titleist 690 MBs in the used golf club section of the Lemont Goodwill. On sale for $1.99 a club. Turn them around on eBay for $120.

Grieving widows or heartbroken and vengeful divorcees are a golfer's secret playground.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Do yourselves a favor and make Goodwill a frequent stop on your weekends.

Last month I found a full set (3 - PW) of Titleist 690 MBs in the used golf club section of the Lemont Goodwill. On sale for $1.99 a club. Turn them around on eBay for $120.

Grieving widows or heartbroken and vengeful divorcees are a golfer's secret playground.

:lol: I didn't even know they had golf clubs there. Happens to be a nice one a few blocks from me. There is also a Play It Again
Sports on my way home that I stop into once in a while. They "kind of" know what they have there but it's a good place to look for
starter sets and things like that. That set of MB's was a good find. Heck, you sold them at a good price.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:17 pm 

Checking out some Golf Unfiltered podcasts this afternoon mostly talking about equipment. So far so good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:09 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
If its not all mush, I might actually try to get out for 9 holes this weekend. Supposed to be in the mid-upper 40s Thursday thru Sunday.
Fuck you, rain.

I'll still probably hit up a driving range this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Fuck you, rain.

I have a $100 gift card to Top Golf sitting at home but just not motivated to get down to IL to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:29 am 
100000 CLUB

Top Golf is novel, but I am not a bigfan of it. I know others here like it a lot. Maybe if there was one closer to my place I would think differently.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:58 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Checking out some Golf Unfiltered podcasts this afternoon mostly talking about equipment. So far so good.

Thanks man. Hope you enjoy them. You'll notice a change in audio quality from 2016-2017.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 am 
100000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:

Thanks man. Hope you enjoy them. You'll notice a change in audio quality from 2016-2017.

Shots fired at Dr Ken!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Top Golf is novel, but I am not a bigfan of it. I know others here like it a lot. Maybe if there was one closer to my place I would think differently.

I live a few minutes from Naperville, and I have been there once.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:53 am 

Chus wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I live a few minutes from Naperville, and I have been there once.

Last time I went was a board event at a course near the one by O'Hare. I happen to have a work event in Dallas later this year
and see they have a few locations down there, so might try to use it then. Looks like the hotel isn't too far from one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Fuck you, rain.

I am playing 9 at Flagg Creek tomorrow. Saw some poor bastard out the yesterday about 2pm. Walking his bag and looking completely miserable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
St. Andrew's in West Chicago will likely have MANY people out there tomorrow.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
If I want to drink and/or eat while hitting balls, then Top Golf is a good time. Otherwise, there are better options. The food at the Wood Dale location is really good.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

I lived 4 minutes from the Top Golf Naperville location and while it was very convenient and a good time, I couldn't justify the cost to go any more often than once a month (at most). You could spend upwards of $100 REAL quick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
https://indoorgolflinks.org/

Had a great time at the place in Orland. Open everyday thru the cold months. They do serve booze and The Prayer Center is down the street for before or after going there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
donspiracy wrote:
https://indoorgolflinks.org/

Had a great time at the place in Orland. Open everyday thru the cold months. They do serve booze and The Prayer Center is down the street for before or after going there.

Yeah, there machines have really come a long way, and you get track-man feedback with every swing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:41 am 
100000 CLUB

Actually got out with a buddy on Saturday and managed 43+43= 86 at Stony Creek in Oak Lawn. Its a short par 66 course, so my score wasn't that great, but good enough for winter! I did not putt well at all (six 3 putts and a 4putt). The greens were wet and slow, and there were a lot of foot prints and ball marks from the busy day of play. If you hit a chip shot that went higher than about 5' in the air, it barely rolled once it landed on the green. Tee to green, for the most part, was OK. This is not a course that I use driver more than 5 or 6 holes but only once did that club get my into trouble. Pushed a couple of iron shots, but I could tell that was just being a bit out of sync having not swung a club for the past 8-9 weeks. The course was soggy & muddy in a few areas, but overall in a lot better shape than I thought it would be. The weather was absolutely glorious, as I was in short sleeves for about half the round. I hit 7 GIR and had 4 pars for the round. It was nice to be outside all day, and for January 21st I hit the ball well enough to leave with a smile on my face.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:09 am 

Taking a half day today to do my annual golf shopping trip in anticipation for the new season. Really looking to fill one need
which is a gap between my Ping Crossover and my 5 iron. Looking at a 4 iron that matches my set but the dark horse I started
considering is the Titleist T-MB 4 iron. Hoping I can put the two head to head in a hitting cage and see what makes sense. Also
selling back my SLDR if they will take it. On their website, it prices out at $46 trade in value. I guess I will take that if they offer
it. Bought it used for $200 and used it for half a season before putting it in the basement for good. It's a great club for someone
out there, just not me.

Edit: went with the T-MB 4 iron. Think it will work out great as it fit just what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:13 pm 

Went to my local Dick's Sporting Goods on Sunday and it had been a while since I'd stopped in. They essentially added about
33% to their golf section and were offering nearly double the number of golf sets they did last year including some TaylorMade,
Ping, and even some Mizuno. I figured it was a matter of time before they started trying to move some of the inventory they
picked up from the Golfsmith sale. Waiting for them to send out their annual coupon for free re-gripping with purchase of the
grips from them. I confirmed they had the grips I wanted. I need to put 4 new grips on some of the new clubs I got and replace a
few. Also thinking about putting a Super Stroke on my back up putter. I finally have the set ready for 2017 so looking to get to
a driving range when I get back from vacation next week and with any luck be golfing on a regular basis in 4-6 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:58 am 

Tiger has dropped out of the next 2 events, get the man a wheel chair.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hawg Ass wrote:

The insinuation from Team Tiger that his medical team can predict "back spasms" to last four more weeks is hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:32 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

The insinuation from Team Tiger that his medical team can predict "back spasms" to last four more weeks is hilarious.

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next