It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Shot 76 at Cog Hill #1 yesterday using the Square to Square swing method I've been researching. Love the way the golf ball holds the intended line much more consistently. This game can actually be fun when you control the club face.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Shot 76 at Cog Hill #1 yesterday using the Square to Square swing method I've been researching. Love the way the golf ball holds the intended line much more consistently. This game can actually be fun when you control the club face.

Nice round, Ugie!

I had my irons dialed in for a brief period in Alabama and I felt like I was taking the club back more square. Is that similar to the Moe Norman concept? I remember that involving more of a baseball grip, though.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers

:thumright: Nice round

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:52 am 

Good session at the range. Didn't try to change too much but I had noticed that my posture resembled more Quasimoto than
Adam Scott so I stood up a bit taller to the ball. I also was swinging way too much with my arms and not clearing my hips, I
think this is a big reason I was hitting smother hooks with all my clubs. For anyone in the far northern burbs looking to hit
some golf balls, Midlane had a pretty nice range. They don't have enough greens to shoot at and no yardage marked off for you
which is frustrating but it is quite expansive and also has a nice chipping and putting green as well. $8 for a large bag of balls
and I think you get 50-60 in the bag. I hit two of them and it was probably a little more than I needed for that session. Going to
try to get out right after work tonight and then playing early Saturday and Sunday. Ready to start scoring better.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:26 am 

http://www.golfwrx.com/446978/golfwrx-m ... s-of-2017/

Some interesting results from a GolfWRX poll on player irons. Pretty evenly split actually.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:10 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
New-to-me driver should arrive today. 2014 Callaway Big Bertha Alpha. First experience with an adjustable club. Loft, lie, draw/fade and even lauch/spin rate adjustability via the Gravity Core. Similar Fubuki shaft similar to what I was using. $110 shipped w/headcover and tool included.

Both the driver and 3W are 1/2" over what I'm used to playing: 45.5"/43.5" vs 45"/43". The difference is noticeable - I was all over the place after the 1st range session. I think gripping down will work, just takes a little getting used to. Windy as hell today, so not the best conditions to try new clubs.

Ugie's Srixon 565 is 45" and it felt awesome. That is a phenomenal club - and I only hit it once. :lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:36 am 

Played like Jekyll and Hyde all weekend. Not sure why I can't find any consistency and can't seem to fix my swing issues. Hit the
ball well Friday and it got progressively worse Saturday and Sunday. I thought I would just be able to play myself out of it as I have
been out 16 times already this year but it would appear I am just making things worse by playing with obvious swing flaws. Back to
the drawing board later this week and I think I will scrap playing Saturday for a 3 hour session at Pine Meadow including chipping, sand
shots and putting.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 am 
1000 CLUB

Played Cog Hill #2 (Ravines) on Saturday. Shot 86. Didn't putt as well as earlier in the week and had trouble off the tee. Rebounded on the back (and after dropping an ass-plosion in the halfway house men's room) to make the day more enjoyable.

Hit the range the next day to continue working on the S2S swing, and experienced an interesting conversation.

Pull up to Mid-Iron in Lemont (for those unaware, think "Tin Cup driving range") with my own shag bag of golf balls in tow. Fully intended to also hit Mid-Iron's golf balls on the actual range, but wanted to practice my chipping on the practice green nearby with something other than beat up range balls.

I throw down a few of my golf balls, and this elderly gentleman walks up to me. Turns out he's the owner.

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news..."

"Let me guess; are you going to give me a hard time because I brought my own practice balls?"

What followed was a civil disagreement on whether or not I should be able to practice with whatever golf balls I wanted (chipping green is free), especially since I fully intended on purchasing range balls anyway. At one point the gentleman remarked, "You may have your own golf balls, but do you have your own golf course?" I smiled and let him know I thought that was an interesting argument. I ultimately conceded and respected his wishes, mainly due to being raised to respect one's elders.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Played Cog Hill #2 (Ravines) on Saturday. Shot 86. Didn't putt as well as earlier in the week and had trouble off the tee. Rebounded on the back (and after dropping an ass-plosion in the halfway house men's room) to make the day more enjoyable.

Hit the range the next day to continue working on the S2S swing, and experienced an interesting conversation.

Pull up to Mid-Iron in Lemont (for those unaware, think "Tin Cup driving range") with my own shag bag of golf balls in tow. Fully intended to also hit Mid-Iron's golf balls on the actual range, but wanted to practice my chipping on the practice green nearby with something other than beat up range balls.

I throw down a few of my golf balls, and this elderly gentleman walks up to me. Turns out he's the owner.

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news..."

"Let me guess; are you going to give me a hard time because I brought my own practice balls?"

What followed was a civil disagreement on whether or not I should be able to practice with whatever golf balls I wanted (chipping green is free), especially since I fully intended on purchasing range balls anyway. At one point the gentleman remarked, "You may have your own golf balls, but do you have your own golf course?" I smiled and let him know I thought that was an interesting argument. I ultimately conceded and respected his wishes, mainly due to being raised to respect one's elders.

There is always one old asshole at every course. It's not like you dropped dozens of balls. I don't see what the issue is with you chipping a couple of your own. Range balls are usually chewed up. They aren't going to bite or spin like a good ball from your bag.

I would have just told the guy that there are a lot of courses/ranges in the area, and that I would be happy to take my business elsewhere.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Mon May 08, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Finally took the plunge and became a member at Lawsonia. Its $2200 for a family membership, but since its just me and the wife they let us have a single membership for $1600. Can play whenever we want, no restrictions. Only have to pay a $20 cart fee and since its Lawsonia, sometimes they don't bother collecting that and just send you out with a cart for nothing. Also get 20% off on all soft goods in the pro shop and discount on food and beverage.

Also can play in the member scramble events on Memorial and Labor day.

Given how much we go up there, might end up losing a few dollars or breaking even, but I'll trade that for the flexibility of being able to just go there anytime and hop on the course for as many holes as we want.

I also assume there will be discounts for guests so one of these days the CFMB golf outing at Lawsonia is gonna happen!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 pm 

shakes wrote:
Finally took the plunge and became a member at Lawsonia. Its $2200 for a family membership, but since its just me and the wife they let us have a single membership for $1600. Can play whenever we want, no restrictions. Only have to pay a $20 cart fee and since its Lawsonia, sometimes they don't bother collecting that and just send you out with a cart for nothing. Also get 20% off on all soft goods in the pro shop and discount on food and beverage.

Given how much we go up there, might end up losing a few dollars or breaking even, but I'll trade that for the flexibility of being able to just go there anytime and hop on the course for as many holes as we want.

I also assume there will be discounts for guests so one of these days the CFMB golf outing at Lawsonia is gonna happen!

On my short list of places I haven't played in Wisconsin yet but want to. List also includes Whistling Straits Irish, The Bull, University Ridge and
Big Fish. I'm supposed to be knocking off Sand Valley in 5 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:03 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

On my short list of places I haven't played in Wisconsin yet but want to. List also includes Whistling Straits Irish, The Bull, University Ridge and

Let's definitely make that CFMB Wisconsin golf outing at Lawsonia happen this summer. I need more reasons to be up there now that I'm paid up front lol.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Let's definitely make that CFMB Wisconsin golf outing at Lawsonia happen this summer. I need more reasons to be up there now that I'm paid up front lol.

Do we have to play in your group, or can we pretend that we don't know you?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:17 pm 

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Do we have to play in your group, or can we pretend that we don't know you?

you can do both!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Shakes, for someone who has well-documented back issues I'm surprised to hear that you get out as much as would take to justify a $2200 membership.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I think this place is restricted, shakes, so don't tell 'em you're Jewish

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:38 pm 

Shakes, for someone who has well-documented back issues I'm surprised to hear that you get out as much as would take to justify a $2200 membership.

As a neurosurgeon once told me, I'm half medical miracle and half moron.

As for how much I manage to get out, 2 years ago I played 80 rounds. Some of those days I could barely move, was in a lot of pain and probably should've stayed home. But, I'm always in pain to some degree. But after 20 years I've learned to accept a lot of daily pain into my life and just deal with it. Last year I scaled back and tried to stay home on the days I couldn't bend over to put my socks on, ended up with 60 rounds. Last year I think I had about 12 rounds at Lawsonia and had my wife with me for probably half of those. Rack rate is $95 with a cart. That alone comes out to around $1700.

Cost of membership is $1600 (not the $2200 in your post), even if they hit me for the $20 cart fee on occasion I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. Factor in the free range and 20% off in the pro shop, throw in an extra couple weekends (since I'll have more incentive to go up there as a member) and I think I'll easily suprass the $1600 the membership is costing.

Also, another factor is that I play as single quite a bit. In the past I will show up at Lawsonia and they will either squeeze me in somewhere or pair me up with people, sometimes members. Have always had a great time meeting members and playing with them. Now, as a member, I'm already signed up to play in the Memorial Day scramble with 30 other members. I'm assuming I'll make some friends and going forward I'll have lots of people up there to play with.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:36 pm 

Had a solid range session w/ the Big Bertha non-Beta version. Finally adjusted to choking down 1/2" - plus, It's not a square face, so it requires more precision. Playing it at 11.5 degrees, neutral lie and a very slight draw bias with the weighting. The shaft is lower-launching and I tee it lower, so the combo works Not sure about the impact of the Gravity Core - I hear it only affects spin around 300 rpm. Would be cool to spend a 1/2 hr. on a Trackman to get everything optimized.

Definitely getting more distance. Curious to see how it performs on the course.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:47 am 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:

Definitely not an MD myself, but genuinely curious: how much better would you feel if you took a year off of golf? (Trust me; I know that's crazy-talk.)

Furious Styles wrote:
Had a solid range session w/ the Big Bertha non-Beta version. Finally adjusted to choking down 1/2" - plus, It's not a square face, so it requires more precision. Playing it at 11.5 degrees, neutral lie and a very slight draw bias with the weighting. The shaft is lower-launching and I tee it lower, so the combo works Not sure about the impact of the Gravity Core - I hear it only affects spin around 300 rpm. Would be cool to spend a 1/2 hr. on a Trackman to get everything optimized.

You can actually take the gravity core out of the club as it would also affect spin numbers. But, as I always say, we don't play with launch monitors on the course so who cares?

Watch this video on the differences of the weight placement (~13 mins long). Should give you some additional insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-99pjinkY

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:29 am 

You can actually take the gravity core out of the club as it would also affect spin numbers. But, as I always say, we don't play with launch monitors on the course so who cares?

Watch this video on the differences of the weight placement (~13 mins long). Should give you some additional insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-99pjinkY

At my swing speed I'm not sure the gravity core setting will make much of a difference, but my 1st experience with an adjustable club has been interesting. Read a bit on GolfWRX about the positioning of the gravity core affecting the sound at impact or contact high on the face is mitigated by the core higher in the clubhead.

I still can't get over the 1/2" difference on the driver and 3W. I was a mess before I choked down. Don't care for the feel, even with an extra wrap under my lower hand, but the performance is fine to get me through the season. I just saw John Daly's WITB and his driver is 44.5".

Thanks for the video. I found something last week that Callaway put together but I think the Gravity Core effect/explanation was wrong. :lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:49 pm 

shakes wrote:

Definitely not an MD myself, but genuinely curious: how much better would you feel if you took a year off of golf? (Trust me; I know that's crazy-talk.)

I've taken breaks before and usually don't touch a club from October till late April, but it doesn't make a difference. My back is in a constant state of degeneration, its only going to get worse.

It is what it is and I'm used to dealing with it. Just sucks that its such a wild card for me. I go on a lot of golf trips with friends and have had bad back issues on several of those trips. 2 years ago drove all the way to French Lick and was in horrible pain on the course most of the weekend...ended up skipping the highlight course of the trip (Pete Dye) because I was in so much pain I couldn't even put my socks on that morning.

Even when I can play without much pain I deal with lots of pain post-round for at least the rest of that day and sometimes even the day after. I know that when I play golf I can't make plans for that night as I need to spend the rest of the day/night laying down and relaxing.

Reading this post and looking at it objectively, I admit it looks pretty stupid that I put myself through that just to play golf...but its golf! I've already lost 2 sports I loved playing because of my back, first it was basketball after surgery #3 (used to play 5-6 days a week) and then this year I finally retired from hockey, don't know if I can mentally handle having to give up another.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
So your disks are just rotting away? This is some nerve damage after a big injury? I remember it being discussed but don't remember why no final solution or continued degeneration.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:27 pm 

pittmike wrote:
So your disks are just rotting away? This is some nerve damage after a big injury? I remember it being discussed but don't remember why no final solution or continued degeneration.

have had 7 spine injuries and surgeries since 1997. There is no final solution (insert Hitler joke here). The disks aren't rotting away, but the scar tissue from 7 surgeries coupled with the amount of work that has been done on my L5-S1 and L4-L5 have left me with some pretty severe symptoms. I have permanent nerve damage from the sciatic nerve, haven't been able to feel anything from my left knee cap to my ankle since 2012. Still get random bouts where my left leg will start throbbing where the nerve damage is, that only lasts about a minute but its very odd feeling to say the least. Mornings are awful.

What it comes down to is, even when surgery fixes a problem, no one comes out of surgery at 100%. Throw in several repeat surgeries at the same site and my lower back probably looks like the new construction road rerouting project at Fullerton and Damen.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Sorry to hear. Kudos for keeping on with golf.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 am 

Golf league last night. It got cancelled but since me and my partner were already there we decided to go out and play. Played in a downpour for 9 holes, but had a good time. Actually hit a few good drives (and a couple hozzle shanks) and parred the first 3 holes before my lack of rain gear started to reap havoc. Duffed my way through the next couple and then my partner gave me some extra rain gloves which helped a lot. Was down 3 going into 8th hole and was talking trash to my partner (there's a lot of that going on when we play) and told him that the only reason he beats me is cause he's 40 yards past me on the tee. He said I could go ahead and pick any club out of his bag except putter and he would play it the whole hole. I went with the 9 iron. I hit a good drive, he went 9 iron 9 iron to get to 80 yards. Screwed up his next 9 iron and left it in the rough by the green. I hit a 5 iron that went through the green and 2 inches into the rough. He rolled his 9 iron chip 15 feet past the pin. I chipped in for birdie! He 3 putted with his 9 iron for a 6 and we were tied going into last hole. I choked the second shot after a great drive and he won the hole and a free dinner compliments of me.

I'm really happy with the changes the pro made with my iron swing at the lesson I had a couple weeks ago. He got rid of my outside in swing and has me coming in from the inside and much shallower. I'm hitting the irons really well now with a slight draw and much less fat shots. Trying to incorporate that philosophy into the driver swing and yesterday I started to see some positive results. The miss is still a hozzle shank which is an awful miss with any club, let alone a driver. But I had less of them this time out and the big 50 yard right turn slice wasn't there at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:21 pm 

Sounds like Kuchar's swing.

In theory...

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:23 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

In theory...

Jesus, of all the pros to try and mimic a swing I had to pick that guy?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

In theory...

That man has done quite well for himself with that swing.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:39 pm 

shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

In theory...

And he has a hot wife.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

In theory...

And he has a hot wife.

Gee golly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 26  Next