It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:02 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Just shy of a six-hour round at Big Run.

Always a good time with donspiracy, but I can do without the death march. Shot an 88, but didn't play very well at all.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Thats pretty terrible.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:22 am 

One of the numerous things I pondered during the death march was how I tend to hit my 6/8/PW more frequently than my 5/7/9 irons. I think I could play an eight-club bag and score about the same - driver, 5W, 4H, 6/8/PW/SW & putter. I might give it a shot if/when I get back to walking/carrying.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:32 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Shot 76 yesterday and should have been a couple strokes better after a couple of poor chips. Didn't hit the ball nearly as
crisply as the day before but didn't get in trouble and played the same ball all weekend. My lower back started acting up
at the turn and that made me question whether or not I could really swing at it so I just kind of powered through it. Still
sore this morning so I hope it goes away early this week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Golf is weird.

Played George Dunne National on Friday and Sunday. Used irons that were "more forgiving" on Friday, shot 88. Used my blades on Sunday, shot 80.

Becoming more of a firm believer in just play what makes you happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Saturday at Big Run was a pivotal round in my golf life. Felt like I could do good things on every hole. An incredible amount of progress has been made, and there is still much room for improvement in my game. Need to take that lesson on the swing approach side and get a real iron set on the "what's in the bag" side.

Posted a 112, counting every mis-hit and redo. Hit the driver really well with the new shaft. Second shot was the boogeyman though, chunking under the ball, then topping the third shot. Wedges were straight, but way short of my intended distance.

Pitching wedge is something I actually spent time practicing on and almost knocked a couple down. Putting was solid enough, but some of the greens were super soft and bumpy at the same time. When all four players have putts that catch air on the way to the cup, it is not poor technique.

The 9th hole that is 600 yards and the old men dragging their balls(in the group in front of us) across every green, decimated our groups back 9. Mr. Styles called it right on, it was a death march. Our group got on the 12th green as the group ahead was going to the 13th green. Mind you, 13 is a short downhill par 3. Our group had time to clean up on 12, head over to 13th tee and we waited. Then we waited some more. It had to be 10 minutes these fuckers spent on that green. Watched all four of them three putt or worse.

Just brutal, every hole we wait for them to clear the green. The father and son that was the other half of our group were getting super duper pissed. The dad on the 14th even drove up to the group and confronted and escalated the situation. A great way to ruin the ideal conditions Saturday afternoon. A lake breeze in late July just can't be wasted on slow play. A legit 6 hour round. Thank you to Mr. Styles for surviving that with me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Golf trip at Lawsonia over the weekend. Started the weekend with a shank free round of 89. Next day, back to shanking and a 104. Yesterday, no shanks and a 97 with a 10 on the last hole.

Distance is completely fucked. Hitting my 5i 150 yards, down from 170-175. my longest hybrid is going about 180 now, down from 200.

According to the formula I use to determine tee boxes I should now be playing courses at about 5400 yards (36 x 5i distance) which I'm going to start doing until I get this shit fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:28 am 
100000 CLUB

donspiracy wrote:
Posted a 112
Give that course, the length of play, and the iffy greens, that is not a bad score for you. I think my personal best there is like a 105.

I would love to play that course again, but give the constant pace of play issues I just can't justify spending that much time and money there. Maybe if I teed off at sunrise, it would be a different story.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Big Run might be my least favorite course in the area. The holes are way too close to each other, the greens are extreme and at times unplayable, and the shot distances on many of the holes are just stupid.

You should never have to hit driver-long iron-long iron into any hole, period.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Golfing this evening. No scorecard just practice nine holes looking for consistency. The biggest thing the last month is pushing all drives right. Not slicing but pushing. I figure follow through which is usually a problem for me and maybe positing to drive.

Willing to accept all ideas on what to try to get this thing going straight. Especially some pre round stretches/swings to get the follow through to loosen up. It is like I have a back restriction due to previous injuries.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:46 am 

pittmike wrote:
Golfing this evening. No scorecard just practice nine holes looking for consistency. The biggest thing the last month is pushing all drives right. Not slicing but pushing. I figure follow through which is usually a problem for me and maybe positing to drive.

Willing to accept all ideas on what to try to get this thing going straight. Especially some pre round stretches/swings to get the follow through to loosen up. It is like I have a back restriction due to previous injuries.

If you are hitting the ball the way you want but just pushing it, my suggestion may be just trying to change the ball position on the tee.
Are your irons getting pushed as well? In my mind, if you move the ball up about one ball width you should see the club face closing a bit
more at impact. Sounds like you just need a small tweak so rather than monkey with your swing, ball position may be what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 am 
1000 CLUB

USGA handicap revision came out yesterday. Back down to an 8.1. This will undoubtedly cost me dollars at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:52 am 

T-Bone wrote:
pittmike wrote:

If you are hitting the ball the way you want but just pushing it, my suggestion may be just trying to change the ball position on the tee.
Are your irons getting pushed as well? In my mind, if you move the ball up about one ball width you should see the club face closing a bit
more at impact. Sounds like you just need a small tweak so rather than monkey with your swing, ball position may be what you need.

Yes it goes straight as an arrow right and plenty far for me. My irons are perfect. I saw a video on line that suggests something what you are saying but more than a ball width. He seems to say you should focus your head and eyes about 4 inches behind the ball. Maybe put a green marker down behind the ball?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:08 am 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yes it goes straight as an arrow right and plenty far for me. My irons are perfect. I saw a video on line that suggests something what you are saying but more than a ball width. He seems to say you should focus your head and eyes about 4 inches behind the ball. Maybe put a green marker down behind the ball?

A push -- and not a slice -- is an indication of a square clubface with an inside-to-out swing path. Swing more left.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 am 

pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I am no teacher but in my experience I have found that starting with small and subtle changes may do the trick. A ball width is quite a bit of room to
close a club face for a lot of people but each swing is unique. I'm interested to find out if you are able to fix it. It can be frustrating when you are really
close to putting it together but just missing that one swing thought or subtle tweak.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 am 

Yeah it is frustrating. I thought I had it all together with lessons last year but lost something small somewhere.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:50 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
USGA handicap revision came out yesterday. Back down to an 8.1. This will undoubtedly cost me dollars at some point.

Last year at this time I was a 9, now I'm up to a 13.1 and rising.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:30 pm 

I'm a 10, obviously.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:06 am 

So last night was good and bad. I started out still pushing right and by the last three holes mostly straightened it out. In between I was slicing, dicing and worm burning my way through the nine holes. I ended up seeing the most effect by focusing behind the ball as was thought.

I still have to get back to my proper correct way to swing all the way though and follow through. what I really need is a long session at the range with no pressure on myself. Even though I enjoyed walking the course I just put too much pressure on myself with the driving that the irons and short game was screwed up.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 am 

Made some progress last night in golf league. Figured out something with my driver towards the end of my trip and it carried over to last night. Realized I was bringing my club back on too high a swing plane, lowered it last night and boom, hit all 7 fairways and by the end there wasn't even a tiny fade on them.

Was at the range and felt much more confident with my irons, making a bigger swing and getting some of my distance back. Got on the course and was even through 4 with a birdie. Then the shanks came back on #5 with two of them, got things back in line on #6, but struggled with some shanks on the last couple holes to finish 7over.

Work Comp Lawyers Assc golf outing tomorrow at Pheasant Run which is a dump, but it still beats going to work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I used to play pheasant Run all the time when I was a kid. Good to hear it hasn't changed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:15 am 

Small chance I will get out to play this afternoon, maybe only 9. Playing for sure Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
May have to dodge some rain Sunday and Monday but doesn't look too serious. Back feeling better than it did on
Sunday but something still doesn't seem quite right with it so getting out for 9 today might be just what the
doctor ordered, probably the shorter course by my house that should be pretty dead with the cooler weather. The
older folks that dominate over there can't hang in the cold.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:53 am 

Played 9 yesterday and got paired with a 66 yr old girls golf coach of one of the local high schools. I shot a 39 and only
beat her by a few shots. I was impressed as hell. Played this morning and hit the ball very poorly but scrambled and
putted out of my mind. 24 putts for 18 holes, missed one putt inside 15 ft all day. Two doubles and a triple on the back
nine killed my card and put me at 82 for the day. I'll try again tomorrow. I'll probably hit the ball great and have 40
putts :eye:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:09 am 

My putting mojo has returned.

You've been warned.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:52 am 
100000 CLUB

52-45 this morning. Birdied the first hole. Quite rough after that, couple of snowmen and 7. Finished +3 over the final 7 holes holes to keep the score in double digits.

~410 yard par 4 eighteenth hole, I was hitting my second shot from about 90 yards out. I didn't think I had it in me to get a drive out there that far. Chipping shanks are gone, but hooked several irons.

6:07 tee time, and the weather was particularly glorious.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
It's annoying at times, but I don't understand getting so upset regarding pace of play. Calm the fuck down, are you in a rush to get home to hear the Caller Bob nag you about what you didn't get done while golfing?

I used to caddy at a country club and all the time, grown men picking fights over pace of play. It was sad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Caller Bob wrote:
It's annoying at times, but I don't understand getting so upset regarding pace of play. Calm the fuck down, are you in a rush to get home to hear the Caller Bob nag you about what you didn't get done while golfing?

I used to caddy at a country club and all the time, grown men picking fights over pace of play. It was sad.

I agree with this. Don't get me wrong, nobody likes a 5 hour round, but I don't understand why people play speed golf. You look at some of these groups and two guys are hitting at once, putting with the pin in while someone else is chipping, etc. Maybe they should find playing partners whose company they enjoy for four hours.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:20 pm 

Bob appears to be answering his own question. These turds don't have anything better to do - their day has peaked - so they are content to take 3 practice swings before each shot - gotta make sure their fellow turds are all watching - as opposed to, you know, playing ready golf.

There is no reason for a 6 hour round.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 am 

Hit the ball much more solidly today and the putting didn't leave me. 6600 yards on a tighter
Track. More one irons and more greens. 35-35 --70 (-2). That felt really good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm 

That was the worst round pick of golf I played in a while. Fuck this fucking horse shit fucking game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 26  Next