It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I nearly wrecked my arm using a tennis ball.

Pink rubber ball?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I feel your pain.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:29 pm 

Are you guys saying you all used tennis balls or you didn't play Home Run?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
We used a tennis ball and it completely ruined my arm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Hatchetman wrote:
Are you guys saying you all used tennis balls or you didn't play Home Run?

I'm saying I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:21 pm 

Country boy...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
We just played pick up baseball. Right field out if we didn't have enough kids

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:23 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Country boy...

It's called Indian ball.

And the run-down game is called pickle.

I ain't ever heard of "home run."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:24 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ghost runners?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:25 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Unless you have at least 8-10 guys home run is better

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 pm 

We used whatever we could get our hands on but a taped up wiffle ball was the ball of choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:32 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ghost runners?

Yep. Pitchers hand out for first base and throw home to send the runner back because no catcher.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:32 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ghost runners?

Invisible men

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ghost runners?

Invisible men

Hahahaha. That's what we called it. Arguing endlessly that the invisible man should have advanced on a deep fly ball.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Is this the same as Off the Wall? i.e., where the box is spray painted on the side of a school. I don't see those rubber balls they used to sell when we were kids but a lacrosse ball is the right weight if you have like 500 feet to play with. Fucker flies like a golf ball.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
DannyB wrote:
Is this the same as Off the Wall? i.e., where the box is spray painted on the side of a school. I don't see those rubber balls they used to sell when we were kids but a lacrosse ball is the right weight if you have like 500 feet to play with. Fucker flies like a golf ball.

That's what I thought he meant....never heard of Home Run, but Off the Wall, yes. Those 98 cent rubber balls made some cool noise off the bat and off the wall. We also called it Fast Pitch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ghost runners?

Yep. Pitchers hand out for first base and throw home to send the runner back because no catcher.

These guys get it.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:57 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

That's what I thought he meant....never heard of Home Run, but Off the Wall, yes. Those 98 cent rubber balls made some cool noise off the bat and off the wall. We also called it Fast Pitch.

"Off the wall" was throwing a tennis ball off the wall for the other kids to try and catch. In urban :wink: :wink: civilization we called the big game strikeout. And the best one was on the walls of CVS or Burnside grammar school. And fwiw "artificial runners" were what we called base runners.

And what the rest of you hillbillies called run down or pickle was running bases on Chicago sidewalks. I'm scared to think of what passed for Piggy in the no sidewalk zones..

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

"Off the wall" was throwing a tennis ball off the wall for the other kids to try and catch. In urban :wink: :wink: civilization we called it strikeout. The "artificial runners" were what we called them.

And what the rest of you hillbillies called run down or pickle was running bases on Chicago sidewalks. I'm scared to think of what passed for Piggy in the no sidewalk zones..

Ah, that's right (both "Off the Wall" and "Running Bases"). Or, at least, it jibes with my experience. "Fast Pitch" was with the rubber ball against the wall with a box chalked in as the strike zone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04 pm 

Chus wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ghost runners?

These guys get it.

yeah we had all that. We used to cut off the end of plastic bats and load em up with newspaper. We used a ball that was not a wiffle ball, it did not have any holes in it. It was more solid and would travel farther, but didnt cause any damage to things when it hit them.

We had a whole system built up in my back yard. Off the garage was a single. Over the garage was a double. Over the garage and house was a triple. Over the garage, house, and bushes was a homerun. We always kept a notebook handy and would keep track of everyone's number of doubles, triples, HRs. A couple summers we played so much that several of us had over 100 homeruns.

Lots of good memories and fun!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:38 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

"Off the wall" was throwing a tennis ball off the wall for the other kids to try and catch. In urban :wink: :wink: civilization we called it strikeout. The "artificial runners" were what we called them.

Ah, that's right (both "Off the Wall" and "Running Bases"). Or, at least, it jibes with my experience. "Fast Pitch" was with the rubber ball against the wall with a box chalked in as the strike zone.

With a $1 rubber ball that split when crushed.

I still can't believe that we occasionally played with a rubber coated ball. Step in at your own peril

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:12 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Country boy...

It's called Indian ball.

And the run-down game is called pickle.

I ain't ever heard of "home run."

We played "Indian Outs" when we played ball. No need for a force play, just bean the runner with the ball and he's out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:06 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Is this a launch angle question?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:18 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

"Off the wall" was throwing a tennis ball off the wall for the other kids to try and catch. In urban :wink: :wink: civilization we called the big game strikeout. And the best one was on the walls of CVS or Burnside grammar school. And fwiw "artificial runners" were what we called base runners.

This.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:19 am 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

On the southwest side you also played fast pitch under a viaduct.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:21 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
DannyB wrote:

With a $1 rubber ball that split when crushed.

I still can't believe that we occasionally played with a rubber coated ball. Step in at your own peril

Yeah the rubber coated were pretty hard.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
yeah we had all that. We used to cut off the end of plastic bats and load em up with newspaper. We used a ball that was not a wiffle ball, it did not have any holes in it. It was more solid and would travel farther, but didnt cause any damage to things when it hit them.

They flew farther off the bat, but you couldn't spin them like a real wiffle ball.

RFDC wrote:
We had a whole system built up in my back yard. Off the garage was a single. Over the garage was a double. Over the garage and house was a triple. Over the garage, house, and bushes was a homerun. We always kept a notebook handy and would keep track of everyone's number of doubles, triples, HRs. A couple summers we played so much that several of us had over 100 homeruns.

We set the bases up strategically, so trees were foul poles. Over the power lines was a home run.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
We called it "fastpitch" and we had the perfect place to play. It was an empty carlot with lightpoles at the end of it. We pitched up against the wall with the painted strikezone and would try to hit it over the lightpoles for a homerun. Those were simpler times back then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Chus wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Ghost runners?

These guys get it.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: Nick&Vito's
Super Pinky

That is all