It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
The only issue I see is playing with rented gear.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Fly Southwest?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Furious Styles wrote:
The only issue I see is playing with rented gear.

This is one of my big hang ups. I was reading some reviews of the course and someone mentioned they rented some clubs and they
were Cobra F6's. That would be interesting if true. I think I would also rather bring my own shoes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
ShipSticks, yo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
ShipSticks, yo.

If I was going to play multiple times during the week I would probably consider it but I am not going to spend over $100 to ship the
clubs for one round after not playing for 3 months. I don't think the clubs will make or break the round since I'll just be knocking off
rust anyway.

Edit - out of curiosity I put in my info to get a quote for Ship Sticks and they said I had to call about Mexico. I put in a Miami, FL
address and it was $55 each way via ground and $99 each way for two day service. I imagine it would be a couple hundred to get
them to Mexico at minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 am 

Played virtual golf this morning with my buddy. Took on Spyglass from the tips. Gimmes from 6 ft and in. It's a frustrating thing sometimes as I play a big draw but it had me hitting fades down the right side at some points. Seems to matter where on the screen you hit. Anyway it was still fun. Shot 90 with two lost balls. The putting and chipping is just not that accurate but we had a good time. Packing golf shoes tees and balls for Mexico today. Might try to play twice while down there.

Edit..... My friend swings as hard as I've ever seen in my 35 years of golf. His ball speed topped 180 mph a couple times with his driver. I plateaued at 165. No way I can keep up with him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 am 

Ended up teeing it up at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya course a week ago. It wasn't too bad overall, an interesting layout and quite tight.
The rented gear was in fact Cobra F6's and overall they were ok, I really never got a great feel for them. I mostly teed off with the 4 iron
to keep it in play and when I did use a wood it was the three wood. I didn't hit it all that well and lost 5 balls. In fact I was down to my
last ball for the last 4 holes so I had to play very conservatively but managed to finish birdie-par the last two holes. I wasn't expecting
much and didn't get much but had a beautiful day. I was first off at 7 and finished in less than 2.5 hours. The most interesting part of
the round was the animals I saw out there including something called a coati. I'll try to post a pic but it is like a cross between a raccoon
and a lemur. I was warned by the people behind me to watch out for them as they like to jump in carts and steal food but in the process
they have been known to take wallets, purses and cell phones. One of them did get in my cart when I was walking back from a green but
I had put all my things in the golf bag thankfully.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:31 am 

My wife finally talked me into taking the plunge and buying some sunglasses. I am probably the last human on earth to actually wear them.
Just tired of squinting in the sun and probably ruining my eyes. Anyway I got some Oakleys with Prizm polarized lenses. Anyone here play
golf while wearing sunglasses? The ones I got feel like they would stay on my head while swinging so probably am going to try to give it a
shot and play while wearing them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Ended up teeing it up at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya course a week ago. It wasn't too bad overall, an interesting layout and quite tight.
The rented gear was in fact Cobra F6's and overall they were ok, I really never got a great feel for them. I mostly teed off with the 4 iron
to keep it in play and when I did use a wood it was the three wood. I didn't hit it all that well and lost 5 balls. In fact I was down to my
last ball for the last 4 holes so I had to play very conservatively but managed to finish birdie-par the last two holes. I wasn't expecting
much and didn't get much but had a beautiful day. I was first off at 7 and finished in less than 2.5 hours. The most interesting part of
the round was the animals I saw out there including something called a coati. I'll try to post a pic but it is like a cross between a raccoon
and a lemur. I was warned by the people behind me to watch out for them as they like to jump in carts and steal food but in the process
they have been known to take wallets, purses and cell phones. One of them did get in my cart when I was walking back from a green but
I had put all my things in the golf bag thankfully.

Your very own Farmers Insurance romantic rodent commercial!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Unless its overcast, I always wear sunglasses when I golf. Never have had an issue with them falling off my head during a swing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
How much of club technology claims are bullshit? Watching the Golf Channel and I see all these commercials for driver and iron technology from the major manufacturers all claiming to have "changed the game". Are any of these things ("rib core", "twist face", "milled face", "power holes") actually innovative or some amount of revolutionary? From wood to metal, steel to graphite, I get, but milling the face of a driver doesn't seem to measure up.

Same goes for that guy on tour with the irons that are all the same length and the computer-crafted "efficient" swing. If you're doing something so revolutionary that is so much better than what everyone else has, why can't you win a tournament?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 pm 

Golf Thoughts by HawaiiYou.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Furious Styles wrote:
Golf Thoughts by HawaiiYou.

I thought that was a Spoon song off their last album.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
How much of club technology claims are bullshit? Watching the Golf Channel and I see all these commercials for driver and iron technology from the major manufacturers all claiming to have "changed the game". Are any of these things ("rib core", "twist face", "milled face", "power holes") actually innovative or some amount of revolutionary? From wood to metal, steel to graphite, I get, but milling the face of a driver doesn't seem to measure up.

Same goes for that guy on tour with the irons that are all the same length and the computer-crafted "efficient" swing. If you're doing something so revolutionary that is so much better than what everyone else has, why can't you win a tournament?

Bryson DeChambeau won the 2017 John Deere Classic.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:50 pm 

Chus wrote:

Well then, looks like he's changed the game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
I'd like to hear more about these "power holes".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 am 

I'm no expert but there is a bit of science and improvement in a lot of the new equipment but I think it is hard to quantify the data all the time. A
very small percentage of the people playing the high end gear can hit it like the pros can and thus may not be able to take advantage of all the clubs
have to offer. It appears that one of the biggest ways to improve is to get fit for equipment that actually works for your game. I am intrigued by the
Twist Face technology but will probably wait and see how much they go for next year or something. Not dropping $4-500 for a driver. Don't really
have an opinion on the same length irons. It would seem to make some sense but believe it would feel awkward to me. In the end I think a college
student could write a great term paper on the marketing of golf equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Unless its overcast, I always wear sunglasses when I golf. Never have had an issue with them falling off my head during a swing.

I picked up a pair of Sundogs off of ebay for 20 bucks. Liked them for golf and now I wear them as my full time shades.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 am 

Chus wrote:

:lol: Is this a bit? You seem to be quite ignorant about golf equipment (not to mention the PGA tour :lol: ), so you might want to tone it down a tad. Somebody thinking "M" on a shaft designates "medium" has a long way to go. Do your homework and get back to us.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis

The Air Hammer. A few of the guys and I on the golf team in high school would always let out a BOOM! or POW! on the final hole in a match. We were hated by most other teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYI0bPnvzOY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
SuperMario wrote:

The Air Hammer. A few of the guys and I on the golf team in high school would always let out a BOOM! or POW! on the final hole in a match. We were hated by most other teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYI0bPnvzOYm

The new version is even more bizarre. I was mesmerized by its infomercial one night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
Chus wrote:

:lol: Is this a bit? You seem to be quite ignorant about golf equipment (not to mention the PGA tour :lol: ), so you might want to tone it down a tad. Somebody thinking "M" on a shaft designates "medium" has a long way to go. Do your homework and get back to us.

Oh hi there, asshole, good morning to you too. I'll try to not ask questions that I don't already know the answers to.
Stop being ignorant!

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS TO CURE YOUR IGNORANCE!

You've been nothing but a condescending gatekeeper since I began asking about getting back into the game, and I have never professed myself to be an expert in any area of golf or golfing knowledge. Kiss the sweatiest part of my ass, jackass.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:46 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
I'd like to hear more about these "power holes".

Wilson has them on their C-line of irons and drivers. Cavities around the face are filled with polyurethane (now there's TWO rows of them!).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
Chus wrote:

Oh hi there, asshole, good morning to you too. I'll try to not ask questions that I don't already know the answers to.
Stop being ignorant!

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS TO CURE YOUR IGNORANCE!

You've been nothing but a condescending gatekeeper since I began asking about getting back into the game, and I have never professed myself to be an expert in any area of golf or golfing knowledge. Kiss the sweatiest part of my ass, jackass.

He knows his shit. If you stopped being a condescending know-it-all for two seconds, you might learn something. Furious was a tremendous help getting me set up with clubs that fit my game.

But, you be you.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 am 

Chus wrote:
He knows his shit. If you stopped being a condescending know-it-all for two seconds, you might learn something.

I don't doubt his knowledge, that is why I ask questions. And to whom did I condescend, Bryson DeSchembeckler or whatever? I was in fact wrong that he hasn't won a tournament, but my premise still stands: If you're "changing the game" in a way that nobody else has, shouldn't you be dominating people instead of just kinda good relative to the field?

Quote:
Furious was a tremendous help getting me set up with clubs that fit my game.

Yeah, and he basically just called me a fucking idiot for making a mistake in understanding club technology and told me to not ask any more questions until I have the knowledge that would obviate the need for questions, but I'm the "condescending know-it-all". :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 am 

Chus wrote:
He knows his shit. If you stopped being a condescending know-it-all for two seconds, you might learn something.

I don't doubt his knowledge, that is why I ask questions. And to whom did I condescend, Bryson DeSchembeckler or whatever? I was in fact wrong that he hasn't won a tournament, but my premise still stands: If you're "changing the game" in a way that nobody else has, shouldn't you be dominating people instead of just kinda good relative to the field?

Nobody but Cobra's marketing team said it was revolutionary. And that's because they are trying to sell clubs.

And he did win a tournament (only six months ago, and in Illinois), about which you were undeniably incorrect, but that didn't stop your condescension.

Chus wrote:

Yeah, and he basically just called me a fucking idiot for making a mistake in understanding club technology, but I'm the "condescending know-it-all". :roll:

He did no such thing. He said you were ignorant about new gear and the PGA tour, which was confirmed by your posts in this thread. To suggest that you swing shorter clubs faster than longer clubs isn't weird, it Did. Not. Happen. If you have the ability to defy the laws of physics, then I apologize.

I didn't know shit about gear either. That's why I did more listening than talking, when he was explaining it to me. There is a reason why we have two ears and one mouth.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Good luck!

P.S. Eye roll emoticons are a terrible look

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:07 pm 

Chus wrote:
Chus wrote:

Yeah, and he basically just called me a fucking idiot for making a mistake in understanding club technology, but I'm the "condescending know-it-all". :roll:

He did no such thing. He said you were ignorant about new gear and the PGA tour, which was confirmed by your posts in this thread.

Furious Styles wrote:
Somebody thinking "M" on a shaft designates "medium" has a long way to go. Do your homework and get back to us.

That's calling me an idiot. It's an entirely pleasant way to say it, but the core message is unquestionably "you're an idiot". Don't pretend he didn't do it. And that's fine, I am an idiot, that's why I'm asking. But I'm not about to let a sharp tongue go when I have not demeaned anyone.

Chus wrote:
To suggest that you swing shorter clubs faster than longer clubs isn't weird, it Did. Not. Happen.

See, again, I was posting data from what I saw, and asking if that made any sense, because it seemed odd to me. Then coming in with "Hurr durr, you don't know shit, that didn't happen" is just being a dick. Of course I know it's dubious, but it is data (not like I said "I felt like I was swinging my hybrid at tour-like level") spat out by a system that others have deemed reliable. And thanks for reminding me that there was immediate condescension from the both of you even then, when I was doing nothing more than repeating what the system told me, and the both of you essentially called me a liar, or an idiot, or both.

Flies with honey indeed. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm 

Good luck!

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 pm 

I wanted to add that while DeChambeau is the only one playing the single length irons and came in after a very decorated amateur
career, I don't think people expected him to come in and dominate necessarily. The real difference between him and most other players
is how he tries to use raw data and his background in physics to his advantage. Just so happened that a Golf Digest reporter played
with him this past week in the Pro-Am and this is what she wrote about how he prepares and attacks the course.... he ended up tied for
41st at E.

If you think Bryson is analytical by nature, multiply that presumption by one hundred thousand million. For most of the round (about 14 holes), Bryson had two FlightScope technicians measure and analyze each full swing. Bryson said he wanted to nail down exactly how the wind on each hole might affect his shots during tournament play, and the technicians offered him a wide array of information that ranged from ball speed and carry distance to spin rate and vertical attack angles. But what intrigued me even more, however, was a close-up look at Bryson's green-reading routine. His system, which is called Vector Putting, factors percentage of slope, the length of the putt, and green speed. As he stood over nearly every putt, he'd audibly say things like, "four percent, 61, 32." It's clear Bryson sees lines in numbers, unlike the majority of the rest of us who see lines in, well, lines. I'm not sure how intense other PGA Tour players are when they tee it up during a pro-am (I'm assuming they are, albeit not to to Bryson's extent), but the amount of concentration Bryson showed over every shot, from the first tee to the 18th green, was inspiring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:23 pm 

Condescending? :lol: Have you met shakes?

Go back and read page 1. I seem to remember I was quite helpful. Now, we have had a nice little golf thread going for quite a few years - mainly people talking about gear and bragging about their shitty golf games. Don't muck this thread up.

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next