It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
We need to get you on a ball launch monitor Juice. If you're swinging a hybrid at 120mph, I'm quitting my job and we're taking you on Tour.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
We need to get you on a ball launch monitor Juice. If you're swinging a hybrid at 120mph, I'm quitting my job and we're taking you on Tour.

I knew it sounded crazy, I just didn't know how crazy. From what I can gather, the ProTee system is light-based, which from my understanding would make it rather sensitive to the point of increasing variance, but still possibly accurate given the right conditions, because it's just basic gate timing and a simple calculation. The thing I also found odd was that there was no "hybrid" option for club selection, the guy just said to select the comparable iron, so maybe the differences in the profile of a hybrid clubhead messed with the velocity reading system?

I do want to find a place that uses those mini Doppler radars, as those seem way more accurate. Looks like the indoor golf place in Downers has those Doppler systems instead of the ProTee light-based stuff. I'll give that a try sometime and report back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers

Ping's new irons have an interesting look to them....

“The G700 iron was a lot of fun to work on,” Jertson said, who noted that the Crossover irons were an inspiration because they were right at the limits of the USGA rules on spring-like effect. “Can we challenge ourselves to bring that kind of technology into a full set?

“It produces twice as much face deflection as the G iron, where the face is behaving a little in the way that we see with a metalwood.”

That function, Jertson said, leads not only to faster ball speed but “a catapult or diving board” like flexing for higher launch.

The G700 irons utilize a C300 maraging steel face insert, the same material used in the company’s G400 fairway wood and hybrid face inserts, surrounded by a 17-4 stainless steel body. Weighting in the toe and heel provide higher stability on off-center hits for better forgiveness, while the wide sole aims to make it easier to glide through the turf on less than clean contacts.

In addition to the perimeter weighting, the sole features an internal cascading weight mass away from face for a lower center of gravity and higher launch-lower spin characteristics.

“This allows us to have lower static lofts, but we’re actually achieving higher initial launch angles,” Jertson said, noting that the G700 standard-spec lofts are a half-degree stronger than the G400 irons. (A “Power Spec” option features lofts that are a degree-and-a-half on the long and mid-irons to two degrees stronger on the short irons.) “It helps us produce a unique high-launch, high ballspeed, low-spin towering trajectory.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Certainly better looking from that angle than the G but looks are subjective and can be impacted by angle of photo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Going full Cleveland/Srixon this season. Let's see if it makes a bit of difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:06 pm 

Going full Cleveland/Srixon this season. Let's see if it makes a bit of difference.

Saw your lineup on Instagram. It's an impressive bag o' clubs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's

Details, please.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:24 am 

I think I am going to pull the trigger on two new Vokey wedges this week. Currently carrying a 46 degree Mizuno PW , 50 degree
gap wedge and 56 degree SW. I got the 50 from a buddy and thought I would use it a lot more around the green for bump
and run type shots but I really didn't use it all that much and it ended up being a club I was using from 100 - 120 yds. I
think the natural gapping for me should be for me to pick up a 52 and a 58. I missed having a club I could lob around the
greens better than opening the face on a 56.

My other big dilemma has been that for whatever reason I had talked myself into believing that less bounce was better for
me rather than more bounce because I didn't have that fat trailing edge getting in the way. I have read some articles on
bounce and it would seem that based on my relatively steep swing and the conditions I generally play in that having more
bounce, at least on that 58 would really help. I struggled with bunker play more the last couple years than I have in my life
and I think that lack of bounce may have had something to do with it. There are a number of grinds available on these so I
just need to do a little research on what I need. Most places are selling the SM6's for $119 each and a choice of finishes as
well so I think I am going to go that direction.

Any advice would be accepted. I'll likely pull the trigger by this afternoon or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am 

Smart move going 46/52/58. I'm generally not a fan of 4 degree wedge gaps. I'm at 46/51/56/60 for wedges, but only use the 60 for touch shots around the green or hardpan sand (10 degrees bounce).

I like bounce options with my wedges because of the varying sand conditions at the courses I play. The 60 degree Vega wedge I play has 10 degrees of bounce, but the grind makes it feel like less on less than full shots. Plus, it has a straight leading edge vs. the more rounded edge on the Clevelands.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 am 

Booked 30 minutes on a simulator tonight. That is all they had but should be fun to goof off and maybe play nine holes. There is a
driving range mode as well so I hope to be able to jot down some spin and distance numbers if I can. Finally starting to get the "itch"
so time to scratch it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm 

Pulled the trigger on the wedges, got the 52 in the Grey finish and the 58 in the black. Looking forward to getting them as I believe
I had over 150 rounds on them and I really wasn't getting the same kind of spin with them as I did when they were new. Tried ordering
them from Dicks and then Golf Galaxy but both their websites locked up on me during the order process. Just thought I could get some
points on my account. Took the plunge and went to PGA Superstore and had no issues. That is it for me as far as clubs this year, I'm
real happy with everything else. Next thing I will look at is possibly ordering some custom golf balls this spring.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:

Details, please.

I promote their stuff in exchange for stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:51 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

Details, please.

:lol: I know. I meant which irons, driver, etc. The CBX irons/wedges are real appealing to me.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Details, please.

:lol: I know. I meant which irons, driver, etc. The CBX irons/wedges are real appealing to me.

Driver = Z 765
Irons = combo set of Z 765 (4-6) and Z 965 (7 - PW)
Wedges = Cleveland RTX-3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm 

Those 7/9 series irons look sweet. SeeMore still in the bag?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:36 am 

The simulator experience was kind of fun. Ended up getting an hour as a group ahead of me finished early and I was
there already. Goofed off on the range for about 20 minutes and then played 14 holes on Pebble Beach. Thought it
was pretty fun overall, at least "feeling" like you were playing the place. The chipping was a little goofy and hitting out
of the sand and rough was weird. They don't take anything off of your ball out of the sand or rough which I learned the
hard way until getting a better feel for it. Also put one out of bounds on #9 when I flew the green out of the rough and
hadn't taken the 30 foot drop into account. Smoked a 5 iron about 15 yards longer than I usually hit it. I found
the yardages to be a little inflated at times. I have been lifting quite a bit but not that much. :lol: Anyway, I
will give it another go probably with a buddy and play 18 holes. Should be pretty easy to play 18 as a two some in
under two hours. Was able to get some numbers off the range session that I will have to look a bit more closely at
today. Took photos of the numbers with my phone after hitting 5 balls each with driver, 3W, crossover, 5 iron and 8 iron.
After not touching a club in about 3 months I was ok with where I was at other than the driver. Ended up +9 through 14
holes at Pebble with an OB and some chipping and sand woes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Finally warm enough on a Friday afternoon to hit Top Golf. Haven't touched a club in 2 months. Like T-Bone said, starting to get that itch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm 

Ugie, has Wilson ever come to you about promoting their stuff? I think the Wilson Staff HQ is somewhere in the area (or at least the marketing arm of it), and I got a glimpse of the push they are trying to put behind their new driver and new line of c300 irons, figured they might try to get one into as many hands as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Pathetic and amazing how sore and stiff you get after hitting balls for an hour after not swinging a club for a couple months.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm 

Furious putting in work at the Golf Center of Des Plaines.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Franky T wrote:
Finally warm enough on a Friday afternoon to hit Top Golf. Haven't touched a club in 2 months. Like T-Bone said, starting to get that itch.

Went and walked 18 holes today in an on and off mist that was more off. Course is only 6100 yards and have winter greens to hit into but if it didn't feel great to just get out and hit the ball. Course was pretty wet and sloppy but wore my waterproof spikes.

Had knee replacement surgery in late September and this was the first time I walked 18. Played 4 rounds in early December but rode in a cart.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:53 pm 

40 on the front at St. Andrews. Never played in these conditions. You can take a slight divot, but balls hit the green like they are hitting a sprinkler head. 2-3 club down type deal. Committing to alcohol on the back nine. Stay tuned.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:29 pm 

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm 

EEEIGHTY....two

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 pm 

Looking like no changes to the bag to start 2018. Spent the offseason trying different putters at PGA SS. The SeeMore, Taylormade and Odyssey center-shaft models were fine, but nothing wowed me. Really like the Bettinardi wide blades in CS and the Kuchar model with 1/2 shaft of offset. Best non center-shaft putter I have tried in long time, but the price tag is a bit much. I'm down to one putter and I like to have a backup, so we'll see.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:01 am 

Playing a round of virtual golf this Saturday morning with a buddy. Not sure which course we are going to play yet. I found it pretty
fun the last time and while it isn't that realistic around the greens it is fun to see the drives and iron shots. On the fence about whether
or not to play in Mexico next week. As part of the resort package I can play pretty inexpensively just not sure I want to burn part of a
day doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
When will you ever get the chance to play golf on the ocean in Mexico? See if you can play 9 holes to get the best of both worlds.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
When will you ever get the chance to play golf on the ocean in Mexico? See if you can play 9 holes to get the best of both worlds.

I'll probably pull the trigger on it and play early one morning. Greens fees, club rental, shoe rental and a sleeve of balls I think will be about $75.
I guess I am cheap because I feel like I am spending money to be at the all inclusive. Not that fun to go and play alone or with strangers but you
are probably right and I should just do it for the experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I always thought I would like to play on vacation. I never did because at first it was a pain to lug everything and later the added baggage fees just made me say never mind. If you can get that $75 deal for all that I would definitely go.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yeah for $75 and all you have to bring with you is a glove, some tees, and maybe a few balls, I'd do it too.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next