It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RFDC wrote:
I am at 30lbs lost since june. Back to running 2 to 3 times a week. Now just have to be able to maintain that over winter. That has always been a struggle

That is a lot. Not wanting to look back if you have a sentence on how. I am down 10 this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 am 

pittmike wrote:
RFDC wrote:
I am at 30lbs lost since june. Back to running 2 to 3 times a week. Now just have to be able to maintain that over winter. That has always been a struggle

That is a lot. Not wanting to look back if you have a sentence on how. I am down 10 this summer.

I used my fitness pal app and set a calorie limit per day. Then started jogging 2 to 3 times a week. And i have only drank water and coffee since June.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Weight stayed the same this week despite upping my hockey from 3x to 4x. Not surprising given the big drop last week and the fact that I could've eaten better this week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Using the MyFitnessPal app on my phone to track calories and exercise. Hit the gym this morning at 4:30am for 30 minutes of cardio. I will
be back in the afternoon to do some lifting and more cardio. Really want to try to go at least 4 days during the work week and see if I can keep
that pace up. I ate like garbage this weekend as a continuation of my visit to NYC. My wife and I have a vacation in Mexico in 110 days so we
are determined to pull our heads out of our butts and get it together. We talked about it a lot and realize now more than ever that this isn't even
a diet plan, this has to be a real lifestyle plan and change the way we think about both eating and drinking. It's been a good run but without the
changes I am just digging an early grave and not feeling my best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 am 

Hit the gym in the morning and after work yesterday. I met up with my wife at Planet Fitness and in back they have kind of a circuit training
area. There is a green and red light. Green means do reps on your machine for a minute. When it turns red you clean your machine and
move to the next. There are 10 machines and 10 box steps in front of each. You alternate between a minute of lifting , 30 seconds break and
then a minute doing box steps before going to the next machine and so on. 30 minutes of structured and full body workout in a circuit. I was
skeptical but overall I thought it worked well, especially for a quick 30 minute session. Going to get on the treadmill tomorrow and try to
grind out a couple miles and see how it goes. I really would like to do a 5K Turkey Trot but will be in Charlotte so even if I run in my parents
neighborhood I would like to get out and do one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I had Burger King for breakfast, if that tells you anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:01 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
I had Burger King for breakfast, if that tells you anything.

Did you have breakfast food or a hamburger? That is the way I prefer to judge you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
T-Bone wrote:
Hit the gym in the morning and after work yesterday. I met up with my wife at Planet Fitness and in back they have kind of a circuit training
area. There is a green and red light. Green means do reps on your machine for a minute. When it turns red you clean your machine and
move to the next. There are 10 machines and 10 box steps in front of each. You alternate between a minute of lifting , 30 seconds break and
then a minute doing box steps before going to the next machine and so on. 30 minutes of structured and full body workout in a circuit. I was
skeptical but overall I thought it worked well, especially for a quick 30 minute session. Going to get on the treadmill tomorrow and try to
grind out a couple miles and see how it goes. I really would like to do a 5K Turkey Trot but will be in Charlotte so even if I run in my parents

PF is my gym.

I've done the circuit once or twice, and I guess if you want cardio or high reps, low weight, it works out well enough. But it isn't a normal workout for me, and honestly, at my two most used facilities, that room's equipment is used as 'run over' equipment when the main machines get filled up on like a Monday at 6pm. No one really pays attention to the circuit most times.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:12 am 

IMU wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

PF is my gym.

I've done the circuit once or twice, and I guess if you want cardio or high reps, low weight, it works out well enough. But it isn't a normal workout for me, and honestly, at my two most used facilities, that room's equipment is used as 'run over' equipment when the main machines get filled up on like a Monday at 6pm. No one really pays attention to the circuit most times.

It isn't my preferred way to do it but my wife wanted me to try it with her, she is very intimidated by the gym so I figured I would do a circuit with her.
I can see its advantages. You really can't get any real work done in there but for some people a full body workout probably feels good to them. I did
notice what you said in that people would come in and use it as overflow and do some reps on a machine or two and leave. Pretty typical that people
don't read the directions or anything and do whatever they want. I thought it was an interesting concept. I prefer to work on one or two muscle groups
per workout like most people typically do but I wouldn't be opposed to jumping in there and doing it again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Good work, I hope you can make the road Turkey Trot happen. Back in the day we had an annual Thanksgiving trek to Memphis and doing a turkey trot there was a great way to start the day, see a different neighborhood, and it got us out of relatives' house for a couple hours.

You might consider doing some road running in addition to the dread-mill. I feel outdoor running better prepares you for outdoor races.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:44 am 

a genius wrote:
Good work, I hope you can make the road Turkey Trot happen. Back in the day we had an annual Thanksgiving trek to Memphis and doing a turkey trot there was a great way to start the day, see a different neighborhood, and it got us out of relatives' house for a couple hours.

You might consider doing some road running in addition to the dread-mill. I feel outdoor running better prepares you for outdoor races.

This is a nice time of year to run outside in my opinion. I have a 3 mile course mapped out I can do with some nice elevation changes so maybe
I will give that a shot this weekend if the weather works out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
More through happenstance than design I’ve dropped almost 20 pounds in about 2 months just by eating less and not really noticing lol. My pants started fitting more loosely and I didn’t pay it much mind then one day I stepped on the scale and noticed I was down 12 pounds . Actually started to get worried as I wasn’t actively tying to dump eight and certainly haven’t been working out. Went to the doc as a precaution , everything came back normal. Went over my food intake and who knew that just eating 2 nutri grain waffles for breakfast ( no butter ) , a pbj sammich or chicke breast for lunch, regular dinner, no eating after 7 and cutting out my Achilles heel of ice cream could produce such results . I had unwittingly put myself to something like a 1500 cal a day diet without really realizing it. It was nice losing weight without having to go to the gym and bust ass to do it .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 am 

I figure with cutting out alcohol and ice cream I'll be skin and bones in no time :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I figure with cutting out alcohol and ice cream I'll be skin and bones in no time :lol:

Hasn't this board learned its lesson on what cutting alcohol can do to you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:10 pm 

IMU wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Cutting down on alcohol then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:33 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
IMU wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Cutting down on alcohol then.

Attaboy. Mix in some post workout whey protein into your Vodka and OJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
T-Bone wrote:
We talked about it a lot and realize now more than ever that this isn't even a diet plan, this has to be a real lifestyle plan and change the way we think about both eating and drinking. It's been a good run but without the

Well said, T-Bone. I have reached a similar point--I just can't eat and drink like I used to without facing significant repercussions. This is a major dilemma since, not unlike Brett Kavanaugh, I like beer. A lot. And ice cream, too. And I live in New England, which excels at both and pretty much nothing else from a culinary perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:50 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
We talked about it a lot and realize now more than ever that this isn't even a diet plan, this has to be a real lifestyle plan and change the way we think about both eating and drinking. It's been a good run but without the

Well said, T-Bone. I have reached a similar point--I just can't eat and drink like I used to without facing significant repercussions. This is a major dilemma since, not unlike Brett Kavanaugh, I like beer. A lot. And ice cream, too. And I live in New England, which excels at both and pretty much nothing else from a culinary perspective.

We have the exact same kryptonite my friend. I told my wife I wouldn't have any beer until I lose 10 lbs. I am only down 2 this week so no beer
for the Brewers game tonight. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:01 pm 

Restarted the Commitment to Modesty last week after a very stressful summer derailed all my planning and previous headway. Day one I thought went well. Inspired me to return the next day instead of easing into it. Big Mistake. I felt like crap on a stick and cut out after 15 minutes. Two days later I developed a massive sore throat & earache. Not sure if some heathen hadn't bothered to wipe down the machines or I just caught something on one of my daily exercise trips to the Jewels :| . Back to it Monday when all of this crap is out my system, I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

We have the exact same kryptonite my friend. I told my wife I wouldn't have any beer until I lose 10 lbs. I am only down 2 this week so no beer
for the Brewers game tonight. :lol:

Yeah, I am off beer until next weekend, when my wife and I will take a trip to Burlington (Vermont), which reminds me a little of Madison (WI). Lots of natural beauty and a great pedestrian mall that provides easy access to some of the best beer in the world. The debauchery is going to be out of control, but for the next week or so I must curb my libertine tendencies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:47 pm 

diet getting put to the test tonight with anniversary dinner at Joe's Seafood. I got $225 in Lettuce gift cards. This could get ugly.

At least I'm skating tomorrow morning, I may even back check just to burn the extra calories.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 am 

Managed to record a 1/2 pound loss this week despite the big meal at Joe's night before weigh in.

Hockey 4x this week, gonna diet hard as well and hopefully have a nice drop on weigh in day next Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 am 

Hit the gym pretty consistently last week including a couple of two a days. Ended up having a Toppling Goliath bomber on Saturday during
the game. Had two beers during the Bears. Also had a Culvers Concrete Mixer last night. Gym Win, Diet Fail. I weighed in the exact same
as last Monday. :lol: At least I proved to myself I could do the gym. Not giving up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:42 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Hit the gym pretty consistently last week including a couple of two a days. Ended up having a Toppling Goliath bomber on Saturday during
the game. Had two beers during the Bears. Also had a Culvers Concrete Mixer last night. Gym Win, Diet Fail. I weighed in the exact same
as last Monday. :lol: At least I proved to myself I could do the gym. Not giving up.

Hey, at least you didn't gain any weight. That's progress!

I've been gradually increasing the frequency, duration and intensity of my treadmill workouts. Last week I completed 4 30- to 35-minute sessions. This week I'm going to try 5 35-minute runs.

I lost about a pound last week and hope I can take off at least two pounds this week. The treadmill acquisition has been working out great, although I miss the social aspect of going to the gym. Nordic Track makes some nice equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 am 

Hit the gym last night and was on the treadmill this morning at 4:30 for a 2 mile run. I hadn't run that long in quite a while and I didn't break
any land speed records but it was somewhere to plant a flag and start. I'll go back tonight and do some lifting and also 30 minutes on the
elliptical. I did the elliptical almost exclusively last week and by Saturday I had to start mixing it up as I felt it was straining my calves and
Achilles a bit. Probably better to mix it up with other activities.

Nice job TM! -- I hope to be where you are at in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:54 am 
1000 CLUB

My metabolism has really started to "wake up"--I'm already down two pounds this week with a couple more workouts to go before heading to Burlington.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:29 am 

3 years in, I am down 117 pounds. Currently at another plateau at 208. ( I am 5'9 big strong chest). Switched to keto a few weeks ago, got me down to my current weight, but has leveled off again. Workout 5 days a week, started running too. This may be where it ends. I cant seem to get the last 9 pounds off. My health feels good, my numbers are fine. Goal has always been under 200, but at some point it becomes all consuming and too much of my time is spent worrying about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

mike the tuba player wrote:
3 years in, I am down 117 pounds. Currently at another plateau at 208. ( I am 5'9 big strong chest). Switched to keto a few weeks ago, got me down to my current weight, but has leveled off again. Workout 5 days a week, started running too. This may be where it ends. I cant seem to get the last 9 pounds off. My health feels good, my numbers are fine. Goal has always been under 200, but at some point it becomes all consuming and too much of my time is spent worrying about it.

:shock: Wow! :shock:

Very impressive!

What kind of workouts (lifting, cardio, interval training, etc) and dieting plan did you implement to achieve those results? What were the keys to staying committed for 3 years?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's

The hell with the last nine pounds; losing 117 pounds is a seriously impressive achievement. Enjoy it (physically and mentally).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:59 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

:shock: Wow! :shock:

Very impressive!

What kind of workouts (lifting, cardio, interval training, etc) and dieting plan did you implement to achieve those results? What were the keys to staying committed for 3 years?

Sounds cliche', but its mostly diet. The first 50 pounds came off mostly through exercise and just eating less overall. Counted calories, logged in all my food, kept sugar low and calories down to about 1500 a day for a long time. I did the stairs at swallow cliff a lot. I joined a gym and did the "crossfit" kind of class for a year, then I did Orange theory for a year ( those were the hardest workouts, absolute ass kicker), I did a year of 5k races, I went to a regular gym on the side, and now I am back to the crossfit type classes. I got bored easy with the workouts, and I think it helped changing up. But none of that matters if you dont change your eating habits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next