It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jbi11s wrote:
BP was up to 160/109 in December. Weight had increased to 260ish over a 2 year span. Worked a few needlessly stressful contracts in November and December. Shortness of breath and pinching around the heart were becoming more common. Also, vodka and bad food consumption were at an all time high.

Went to local heart doc at the hospital up here in January. He wanted to put me on BP meds right away, but I still haven't taken them. I just think 35 is too young to be on that scrip, and I don't want my next employer to red flag me at the physical for it. Blood labs came back and everything was good except my triglycerides were like 480. He gave me a statin scrip, but I'm extra cautious of those drugs because I've seen people I know deal with the side effects. Need to set up appt with cardiologist in Bismarck which is 3 and half hours away.

I've made some serious lifestyle adjustments since January. Low sodium consumption. No more espresso/coffee. More greens/fruit smoothies. Limited sugar. No more hard alcohol. Only red wine. Been going to the gym 6 days a week. Have my mile time down to 7min, and try to finish cardio with 35min elliptical sessions.

I'm down to 228lbs. Feel much better. BP when I get home from work is down to 135/95ish, and when I wake up 130/85-90ish. Breathing is much better, and pinching is gone. A few chest pains here and there.

Still not out of the danger zone. Have my first child due in a few weeks, and this is all for her.

Gaining excess weight is such a dangerous problem.

Good to hear you make the changes man. I found out I was borderline diabetic in January; since diabetes runs on my mother's side, I'm at a higher risk. Cut out soda and my sugar intake greatly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Oh yeah. Soda is SOOOO good, but it is terrible for your health. I don't drink it anymore either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jbi11s wrote:
Oh yeah. Soda is SOOOO good, but it is terrible for your health. I don't drink it anymore either.

Limit your red meat consumption if you haven't done it already. Turkey burgers and sausage are better for you health-wise and taste good. Increase your seafood consumption as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
FrankDrebin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Limit your red meat consumption if you haven't done it already. Turkey burgers and sausage are better for you health-wise and taste good. Increase your seafood consumption as well.

Copy that. Thanks man. I still try to have a sirloin steak every other week or so, but I def need to eat more salmon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Jbi11s wrote:
BP was up to 160/109 in December. Weight had increased to 260ish over a 2 year span. Shortness of breath and pinching around the heart were becoming more common. Worked a few needlessly stressful contracts in November and December. Also, vodka and bad food consumption were at an all time high.

Went to local heart doc at the hospital up here in January. He wanted to put me on BP meds right away, but I still haven't taken them. I just think 35 is too young to be on that scrip, and I don't want my next employer to red flag me at the physical for it. Blood labs came back and everything was good except my triglycerides were like 480. He gave me a statin scrip, but I'm extra cautious of those drugs because I've seen people I know deal with the side effects. Need to set up appt with cardiologist in Bismarck which is 3 and half hours away.

I've made some serious lifestyle adjustments since January. Low sodium consumption. No more espresso/coffee. More greens/fruit smoothies. Limited sugar. No more hard alcohol. Only red wine. Been going to the gym 6 days a week. Have my mile time down to 7min, and try to finish cardio with 35min elliptical sessions.

I'm down to 228lbs. Feel much better. BP when I get home from work is down to 135/95ish, and when I wake up 130/85-90ish. Breathing is much better, and pinching is gone. A few chest pains here and there.

Still not out of the danger zone. Have my first child due in a few weeks, and this is all for her.

Any advice is appreciated since there seems to be others with heart issues here.

I am going to try to follow some of your adjustments above. My blood pressure was going through the roof a few weeks ago. Feeling a little better
now after hitting the gym more regularly but the weight is not coming off so now I really need to tighten up the diet and beer drinking. I'll check my
blood pressure again later this week and see if it has dropped. Used to be a steady 120/75 guy so to have it 160/100 a few weeks ago that isn't good.
I also want to go and get my annual physical in a couple months and don't want to go in there at my heaviest weight ever. Seven minute miles are
pretty incredible at that size in my opinion. I was running 12 minute miles last week just to start but would like to get under 10 eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Jbi11s wrote:
Have my first child due in a few weeks, and this is all for her.

Any advice is appreciated since there seems to be others with heart issues here.

Once you give birth, that certainly will drop your weight a bunch as well. As soon as your doctor clears you postpartum, resume working out. That's my advice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 am 

Under the deuce! Finally checked in under 200lbs, at 198, probably first time since in my early 20s. Just maybe about 8 more pounds...and then I can stay at 190...doing crossfit, it really sucks when you have to be on a such a low calorie diet, all my lifts suck, I'm ready to eat more at maintenance level and hopefully start pushing some actual weight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I'm on my 5th cup of coffee and I had 2 donuts for breakfast.

I think I'm doing it wrong....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

Morning is fine, you will burn it off by noon. It's the late night snacks that kill you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Under the deuce! Finally checked in under 200lbs, at 198, probably first time since in my early 20s. Just maybe about 8 more pounds...and then I can stay at 190...doing crossfit, it really sucks when you have to be on a such a low calorie diet, all my lifts suck, I'm ready to eat more at maintenance level and hopefully start pushing some actual weight.

As long as you are telling everyone you are doing Crossfit then all the other stuff doesn't matter. :lol: Seriously though, good work!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

As long as you are telling everyone you are doing Crossfit then all the other stuff doesn't matter. :lol: Seriously though, good work!

I get the douche bag stigma associated with it, some of it is deserved for sure :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:41 am 

There are pro's and con's associated with it, and some people take it to the extreme...you can absolutely hurt yourself doing it, my friend tore his rotator cuff. I don't even bother with the Olympic Snatch lift, which I think is a horrid lift, I usually cancel on those days... But I was getting close to 220, probably on the path to diabetes, etc and this is keeping my attention/interest, so I will take the risk of a muscle/bone injury though over a disease.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Caller Bob wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Morning is fine, you will burn it off by noon. It's the late night snacks that kill you.

I don't really snack.

Does beer count?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
FrankDrebin wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I have really cut soda out, mostly drink unsweet tea, lost close to 40 lbs in last couple months, doctor is on me to eat more seafood too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Doing deadlifts in the garage. Garages, not just for watching the rain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:39 am 

Continue to spin my wheels. No consistency getting to the gym but I have been going. Getting out golfing has been helpful for my
mental state if nothing else. Walking 36 each weekend is about equal to walking 8 miles or more on uneven terrain. I have a physical
scheduled for next Monday and I am going to ask them to work up my blood to check on organ function and cholesterol. My blood
pressure has been elevated the last 6 months so I need to get that down as well. The new gym I signed up for that is being built
brand new about a mile from my house should open in the next 10 days or less so I am hoping that spurs an increased level of fitness.
The place I go to now is a real dump and depressing to even go to for me lately.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:20 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Without really trying, I have dropped my weight to under 180 for the first time in a long time. 10.1% body fat. Stopped the late night eating and desserts. I also quit binging at dinner time.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
just passed the 3 month post op mark which means I can stop taking the blood thinners.

Started cardiac rehab last week, basically just walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes and then some really light dumbbell exercises.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:58 am 

shakes wrote:
just passed the 3 month post op mark which means I can stop taking the blood thinners.

Started cardiac rehab last week, basically just walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes and then some really light dumbbell exercises.

Glad to hear and good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:10 pm 

shakes wrote:

Nice! Any ideas about swinging a golf club? I think my golf trip this summer/fall is going to be to Lawsonia. Never been but I would like to
play at least once if not twice up there.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Nice! Any ideas about swinging a golf club? I think my golf trip this summer/fall is going to be to Lawsonia. Never been but I would like to

I just started doing light arm stuff in rehab so hopefully start with some around the green chipping and putting in the next couple weeks and then I'm hoping full swings start of June.

Let me know when your trip to Lawsonia is gonna be, hopefully I'll be there and able to play and we can hook up for a round if you have room in your group.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:15 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

I just started doing light arm stuff in rehab so hopefully start with some around the green chipping and putting in the next couple weeks and then I'm hoping full swings start of June.

Let me know when your trip to Lawsonia is gonna be, hopefully I'll be there and able to play and we can hook up for a round if you have room in your group.

Ok will do. I'll likely just go up by myself. I don't have any golf friends that I usually play with that are willing or able to shell out any cash to play nice resorts. Might not be until a little later in the season so I will reach out when I know more.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Wife's family has a place about 40 minutes from there so I have played both courses several times. If you play after labor day you can get some deals.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:12 am 

New gym in town just opened this morning. I was at the hospital giving blood. Have an appointment with doctor next week to go over results
and figure out next steps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
2nd ride in 5 days. Nothing big- 50 minute ride. Need to get back in the swing of things. Going to do a century ride by the end of the summer. Saddle area was sore from Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Just wondering, can't find the website for it, doing some research on John Cena, he had a diet he pushing a couple of years ago, called changetime, I tried typing it in to see what like and nothing comes up, did it just not work.

It was basically eating normal foods and exercise at least 2 times a week for 10 weeks, do the normal eating 6 days out of 7 and the 7th, eat whatever you want.

Hope everyone doing better if they want to, I have really lost weight this year, I think the big thing is cutting out pop and more of the sweets

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:37 am 

I'm down almost ten but it isn't attributable to much other than eating less. I have been going to the new gym but not consistently.
Playing a lot of golf and walking has certainly helped as well. Down ten but still need to lose ten more to get to where I was about 13
months ago. Drastically cut back on the beer consumption which has been a bonus as well. I still need to take off a solid 30-35 lbs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I also am down 10 for the year most of that since warm weather. Eating less and moving more. Also doc adjusted a few things I was taking that may slow metabolism. It is a hard battle that I likely will have to start again next spring.

Without a specific health issue I do not feel like starving myself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I am in the market for a treadmill. Anyone have recommendations for a good one?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Tall Midget wrote:
I am in the market for a treadmill. Anyone have recommendations for a good one?

If you are truly committed and really use it hard don't skimp. I know that much. I have to say I feel the different forms of ellipticals work better for me. Less joint stress.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next