It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Been doing 30 minutes cardio in the morning and then going back for more in the afternoons. Usually combo of lifting and cardio.
Going to try to do 35 - 40 minute jog this afternoon after lifting. I feel like I am getting a lot stronger the past 3 weeks or so. Now
that I am not going to do that coaching thing I want to try to stretch this out to 45-60 minutes cardio in the morning and then 75-90
minute workout in the afternoon. Becoming more of a routine to just go instead of talking myself out of going. We will see how the
weekend goes. Would like to go twice each day.

Have you thought about doing interval training for your cardio exercise? That should help you keep your overall workout length manageable while still burning a lot of calories. Shorter but intense interval-based workouts have been shown to be more effective in helping people lose weight than exercising for longer periods at a steady pace.

When you say interval do you mean mixing up the types of cardio or putting the machine on random for hills and such? I have started doing that
recently, rather than pounding out 30 minutes on the same elliptical setting for example. As for the jogging I run with a minimum 0.5 incline but
will crank it up occasionally. I usually start with a slightly slower pace and then click it up a few the more warmed up I get. I need to try to use
the random on the treadmill but just not there yet. I know from years back I used to do an interval type thing where I would adjust the incline
and run at different paces for 2 or 3 minute periods of time but I haven't gone back to that. It wasn't very easy to do while trying to balance on
the machine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:29 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Been doing 30 minutes cardio in the morning and then going back for more in the afternoons. Usually combo of lifting and cardio.
Going to try to do 35 - 40 minute jog this afternoon after lifting. I feel like I am getting a lot stronger the past 3 weeks or so. Now
that I am not going to do that coaching thing I want to try to stretch this out to 45-60 minutes cardio in the morning and then 75-90
minute workout in the afternoon. Becoming more of a routine to just go instead of talking myself out of going. We will see how the
weekend goes. Would like to go twice each day.

Have you thought about doing interval training for your cardio exercise? That should help you keep your overall workout length manageable while still burning a lot of calories. Shorter but intense interval-based workouts have been shown to be more effective in helping people lose weight than exercising for longer periods at a steady pace.

When you say interval do you mean mixing up the types of cardio or putting the machine on random for hills and such? I have started doing that
recently, rather than pounding out 30 minutes on the same elliptical setting for example. As for the jogging I run with a minimum 0.5 incline but
will crank it up occasionally. I usually start with a slightly slower pace and then click it up a few the more warmed up I get. I need to try to use
the random on the treadmill but just not there yet. I know from years back I used to do an interval type thing where I would adjust the incline
and run at different paces for 2 or 3 minute periods of time but I haven't gone back to that. It wasn't very easy to do while trying to balance on
the machine.

I'm talking about High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), which involves short bursts of intense physical activity (like 30-60 seconds of sprinting) alternating with a longer recovery period (such as 4 or 5 miutes of jogging). 30 minutes of HIIT workouts generally burn as many or more calories as 60 minutes of moderately intense workouts. They also significantly increase your metabolic rate for an extended period after working out, so you continue to burn more calories post-exercising than you would with a more conventional routine.

Here's a pretty good summary of the benefits provided by HIIT: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-hiit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:05 am 

I'll check out the article in more depth later. It sounds a lot like what I was doing. I would jog at different speeds and inclines and mix in dead out
sprints in between them. Just really challenging to try to adjust the machine continually every few minutes. Was able to hit the gym pretty hard this
weekend and do both lifting and cardio. Got in a good jog on Saturday morning and yesterday I did a random program on the elliptical and burned 450
calories in 30 minutes. Took this morning off but back at it tonight. No weight change on the scale this morning but I haven't felt this good physically
in a long time and getting stronger. I was doing curls and forearm exercises with the 25lb dumbbell at home while watching football.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
big week for me, dropped 2.2 pounds! Only skated 3x last week and am on the ice 4x this week so hoping to keep this trend going. I'm at 213 now and my goal is 205 by 2019 and then 190 however long after that it takes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:38 am 

dammit, up 0.4 lbs this week despite playing hockey 4x. I gotta start starving myself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 pm 

Somehow managed to lose 0.2 lbs over the holiday week. Very happy about that considering I ate about 4 lbs of bacon mac n cheese along with other stuff.

Pulled my groin playing hockey Tuesday, but played anyway Friday and sunday. In hockey a pulled groin in an awful injury, usually requires a solid month of staying off it in order to fully heal. SOmetines even 6 weeks. But, my diet can't afford the time off so I'm playing through it, just trying to limit my strides and not reach for any pucks that are out of reach. Worked fine on Friday, only felt the groin a couple times.

Hockey tonight, Friday and Sunday...back to the grind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:47 pm 

I was down 3 lbs over the holiday week while visiting my parents in North Carolina. Went to the gym multiple times and stayed away from the
desserts. No booze for the week was a definite help. Still a long ways to go to reach my first goal and new wedge but I feel revitalized after seeing
the progress.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I have been bouncing between 195 and 199 which for me in the winter is not too bad. But goal is 190 by February. Going to Cabo where supposedly there is whale watching. I don't want to confuse anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 am 

9 weeks until I head to Mexico. Much stronger and not as flabby. Throwing a 45 and a 25 on each side of the Smith and going to work now
which is a lot more than I started with 6 weeks ago. Trying the low carb thing a bit more strictly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:29 am 

had a good week, lost 2 lbs. Down to 211.2. Getting to my goal slowly, but surely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:24 am 
1000 CLUB

Haven't been able to work out as much as I would like lately, but the weight is still coming off reasonably well. I'm down 11 lbs since the beginning of November. Would like to lose at least five more by Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:46 am 
1000 CLUB

Lost a couple more pounds this week--now down 13 lbs since November 1.

The high-intensity interval training is making a big difference. I can feel the impact it is having on my metabolism, and it also plays a role in suppressing appetite.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
19 degrees. I'm heading out to ride 12 miles. Gotta finish the year strong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I committed to some excellent tacos last night.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
19 degrees. I'm heading out to ride 12 miles. Gotta finish the year strong.

Make sure you have some long johns on under your spandex and for God's sake wear a helmet!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:16 pm 

did not have a good week, gained 3 lbs. But this has inspired me to get even stricter on my diet so that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:47 am 

I'm down a few and have maintained while out of town the last few days. I am working half days the rest of this week so a big part of my
schedule is to fit the gym in and have a couple of long sessions. I am going to KC this weekend for a birthday party and will be having some
BBQ while there so it is vital I get back into the gym and keep some momentum going. I haven't been able to go for almost a week so the
fact that I maintained my weight is promising. My first goal is within reach and I would like to buy myself that wedge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:02 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am back like Thanksgiving trip to Chicago never happened. There was food and drink way out of line for 4-5 days. Hope to hold serve through New Years at no more than 215 and keep going. Steady wins the race.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I have a genuine concern over the impact getting in shape would have on my golf swing.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:30 am 
1000 CLUB

I'm now down 15 lbs since November 1st. I originally intended to lose 16 lbs by Christmas, but now I am hoping to surpass that goal.

Unfortunately, I still need to lose an additional 20 lbs or so. :x

Fortunately, though, I think my current approach to losing weight is far more sustainable than my previous attempts.

I feel like I've benefited from a few simple changes that have been pretty easy to implement:

1)Reducing (but not eliminating) consumption of sugary drinks like soda and fruit juice.
2)Reducing (but not eliminating) consumption of high-calorie desserts
3)Reducing (but not eliminating) consumption of red meat and replacing it with chicken
4)Increasing consumption of salads, fruits and vegetables
5)Changing workout routine from long-distance jogging to shorter high-intensity interval training sessions.
6)Daily weigh-ins.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:10 am 

Good for you TM. I am trying to do a little bit of intermittent fasting and also cutting back on my ice cream and alcohol consumption.
I want to take a look at a few other exercise ideas at the gym in the next week including the stair machine and rowing machine to mix
things up a bit I did the recumbent bike a few weeks ago and played a golf game on my phone while I did it. In the end that didn't feel
like a good 35 minute workout but I was multi tasking like a boss.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Tall Midget wrote:
I'm now down 15 lbs since November 1st. I originally intended to lose 16 lbs by Christmas, but now I am hoping to surpass that goal.

Fortunately, though, I think my current approach to losing weight is far more sustainable than my previous attempts.

I feel like I've benefited from a few simple changes that have been pretty easy to implement:

1)Reducing (but not eliminating) consumption of sugary drinks like soda and fruit juice.
3)Reducing (but not eliminating) consumption of red meat and replacing it with chicken
5)Changing workout routine from long-distance jogging to shorter high-intensity interval training sessions.
6)Daily weigh-ins.

I have been told by many that daily weigh ins will just drive you mad. You disagree? I do weekly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:43 am 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

6)Daily weigh-ins.

I have been told by many that daily weigh ins will just drive you mad. You disagree? I do weekly.

I personally like the daily weigh-ins because I feel like they keep me focused and force me to be disciplined in my diet. I can see how this approach wouldn't work for some people, though, given how weight can fluctuate from day to day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
When I was dropping all my weight, I did it once a week. But if you do it more often, it will make you very conscience and less likely to cheat in between. In the end, it is all about sticking to proper eating habits and regular exercise. The weight will come off, and it is just a matter of how fast. It took me six months to drop 35 pounds, and I was never that big to begin with, 34-ish waist down to 32-ish.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:54 am 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
When I was dropping all my weight, I did it once a week. But if you do it more often, it will make you very conscience and less likely to cheat in between. In the end, it is all about sticking to proper eating habits and regular exercise. The weight will come off, and it is just a matter of how fast. It took me six months to drop 35 pounds, and I was never that big to begin with, 34-ish waist down to 32-ish.

You lost 35 pounds but only dropped two inches around the waist? That seems low.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You lost 35 pounds but only dropped two inches around the waist? That seems low.

Yeah it does. Honestly, I was bursting out of my 34's at the time, and I could reasonably fit into 31's now. but really I wore 34's then and 32's now. The weight change was most evident in my face.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 am 

denisdman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Yeah it does. Honestly, I was bursting out of my 34's at the time, and I could reasonably fit into 31's now. but really I wore 34's then and 32's now. The weight change was most evident in my face.

Wow, 25 lbs lost just on your face. Crazy. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
T-Bone wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Wow, 25 lbs lost just on your face. Crazy. :wink:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Ran 57 miles week. Pretty much ideal conditions which seem likely to continue for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:56 pm 

a genius wrote:
Ran 57 miles week. Pretty much ideal conditions which seem likely to continue for a while.

57 miles in a week? I'm confused, if so holy shit man that's good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next