It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Tall Midget wrote:
I am in the market for a treadmill. Anyone have recommendations for a good one?

Are you buying new or used (recommended). I have a buddy who was just telling me he was selling his because his wife doesn't use it. It would be in the $100 to $150 range. I'm sure he researched it before buying. Just throwing it out there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:41 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
DAC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Are you buying new or used (recommended). I have a buddy who was just telling me he was selling his because his wife doesn't use it. It would be in the $100 to $150 range. I'm sure he researched it before buying. Just throwing it out there.

I hadn't thought about a used one. Why do you recommend that over a new one?

I live in New England, so I couldn't take a look at the one your friend is selling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Thanks for all the help with my inquiry, CFMB! :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Tall Midget wrote:

:lol: I think it is more a sign of how no one on this board is trying to achieve any kind of excellence!

I think the idea of getting a used one is that probably 8 out of 10 people that buy a treadmill never use it
and actually use it to hang clothes and stack boxes on, thus you should be able to find a relatively nice one
for a good price. Are you looking for a real fancy one in which you can look at a screen and it looks like you
are running through the woods or on a Paris street or more of a just plain nuts and bolts model?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

:lol: I think it is more a sign of how no one on this board is trying to achieve any kind of excellence!

I think the idea of getting a used one is that probably 8 out of 10 people that buy a treadmill never use it
and actually use it to hang clothes and stack boxes on, thus you should be able to find a relatively nice one

for a good price. Are you looking for a real fancy one in which you can look at a screen and it looks like you
are running through the woods or on a Paris street or more of a just plain nuts and bolts model?

That was my assumption.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:09 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

A plain model would be fine for me, but my wife wants something fancy like you describe.

I tried to talk her into getting a used one, but she's not going for it. :eye:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:11 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

A plain model would be fine for me, but my wife wants something fancy like you describe.

I tried to talk her into getting a used one, but she's not going for it. :eye:

Yeah I looked at them a few years ago somewhat seriously and the ones with the screen are pretty cool but way out of my price range.
Didn't end up buying a treadmill at all. I joined a health club and they get my $20 a month and I barely even go. I really need to do
better with that. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:16 am 

I don't feel as bad in the summer not going to the gym as often. I figure walking a golf course and pushing a mower is pretty good cardio. Also, riding a bike outside is much more enlivening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:25 am 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
I don't feel as bad in the summer not going to the gym as often. I figure walking a golf course and pushing a mower is pretty good cardio. Also, riding a bike outside is much more enlivening.

Yeah, I agree, Mike. I've been able to lose weight this summer just by doing yard work. I'd like to ride bikes with the kids more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:14 am 

my wife has talked a few times of getting a treadmill and I want no part of it. I hate walking/running on them. seems like a waste of money for something that will get more use as a coat hanger than anything else

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Last edited by RFDC on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Gained back all the weight I lost last year and then some. Not being able to exercise for 6 months will do that.

Started playing hockey again and have lost a few pounds already over the past few weeks.

After Labor Day I'll hopefully be up to playing 3x per week and then I can get the diet back in high gear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:29 pm 

I use this mainly at the gym. Love it from a joint saving perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:33 pm 

pittmike wrote:

yep, elliptical is the only machine I can use at the gym because it's the best for low impact. Bikes are good too, but I can't sit on a bike seat for too long because of my back. Recumbant isn't much better.

I bought a health club quality Precor elliptical about 15 years ago and it still works good, not that I use it anymore. My wife still takes a spin on it. Too boring for me, I'd rather play hockey and then deal with the back pain after.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:37 pm 

shakes wrote:
pittmike wrote:

yep, elliptical is the only machine I can use at the gym because it's the best for low impact. Bikes are good too, but I can't sit on a bike seat for too long because of my back. Recumbant isn't much better.

I bought a health club quality Precor elliptical about 15 years ago and it still works good, not that I use it anymore. My wife still takes a spin on it. Too boring for me, I'd rather play hockey and then deal with the back pain after.

Same boat. I have had back surgeries years ago and am very careful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:

I like to use ellipticals as a change of pace when the treadmill gets too boring. The only problem is that ellipticals are boring, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:52 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I like to use ellipticals as a change of pace when the treadmill gets too boring. The only problem is that ellipticals are boring, too.

the whole fucking gym is boring. That's why I continue to play hockey. Great workout and fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:53 pm 

Yeah the whole maintenance exercise that isn't something you love kinda sucks all around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I vote no on any treadmill. I know it is not scientific but it seems MANY people I know that use them end up hurting themselves, perhaps because it is so repetitive. Plus they are incredibly boring.

Instead of walking over to the treadmill, walk the extra 5 feet to the front door and go outside and run. With the right clothes one can run outside all year long. And clothes cost much less than a treadmill.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:44 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
DAC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I hadn't thought about a used one. Why do you recommend that over a new one?

The main reason I recommend getting used is so that if you don't use it and turn around and sell it, you won't take much of a hit. Hell, if you get a good deal and end up selling it in a year or so you might get all your money back. Workout equipment is notorious for being bought and then not getting used, taking up space, and then the owner sells it at a loss just to get it out of their house. If you watch CL or local Facebook pages you can always find good deals on workout equipment.

10 years ago or so, I bought an Olympic weight set, weight bench with the squat rack and high and low pulleys, a treadmill that needed some work, and an exercise bike all for $150. I had to take all of it since the guy just wanted it out of his house. I gave the treadmill away to a buddy who fixed it and still uses it. I used the weights for about 5 years till I sold the house. I got my $150 back for the weights and bench and I still own the exercise bike that I use on a regular basis. So long story short, you can find some great deals on used exercise equipment. I would never buy new.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:47 am 

Hit the gym multiple times this past week and both days this weekend. Think I overdid the core workout as I could barely roll out of bed this
morning. :lol: I'd like to try to run a 5K this fall and maybe a 10K if I can stick with this. I really need to shed at least 30. Seeing family
members and others getting sick has been a bit of a motivating factor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 am 

My 3x per week of hockey started last week and the results showed as I lost 3 lbs, down to 217. Been dieting since after Labor Day and am down close to 5 in total. Slow and steady, hope to be down 20 total by the end of the year and then another 10-15 pounds from there and I'll be at my goal of around 190. Last year I got as low as 201 and then my heart issue emerged and ended my exercise for 7 months.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:27 am 
1000 CLUB

I finally have started using the Nordic Track treadmill my wife bought a few weeks ago.

It seems like a good machine. Hopefully I will have the discipline to use it on a regular basis.

I'd like to lose 20 pounds or so by Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:47 pm 

no weight loss this week after my stupid wife made a French toast casserole the day before my weigh in.

But no gain either so there's that. Hockey 3x this week so hopefully drop a pound.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:53 pm 

Since inner elbow pain has forced me to stop doing pull-ups, I have started doing a few sets of hanging knee raises everyday. Starting to see some abs for the first time since I was in my 20s. Think I'm gonna get a dip station if I rest doesn't cure my elbow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:57 am 

Had a good week and lost 2 lbs.

Gonna try and play hockey 4x this week so hoping for a nice loss.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:59 am 

Back in the gym tonight. I was doing well and then was out of town for a while. Golf over with and no out of town trips until Thanksgiving so
seeing the opportunity to make some major progress.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:49 am 

I am at 30lbs lost since june. Back to running 2 to 3 times a week. Now just have to be able to maintain that over winter. That has always been a struggle

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
RFDC wrote:
I am at 30lbs lost since june. Back to running 2 to 3 times a week. Now just have to be able to maintain that over winter. That has always been a struggle

Good stuff

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm 

RFDC wrote:

:salut: Gives me hope that I can do it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
RFDC wrote:

:salut: Gives me hope that I can do it.

Yeah, that's impressive RFDC. Good work!

I am making decent progress with the treadmill, gradually increasing the duration and intensity of my workouts.

I've lost a little weight so far, and I am starting to feel better as a result. Hopefully I can keep this up. I have resumed my practice of weighing myself on a daily basis. I find that this is crucial for maintaining dietary discipline.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next