It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Amazing how the leader board changed. The leader shoots +7 and two other guys come out of nowhere to shoot -4...an 11 shot swing to pull into a tie. Incredible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I get that it everyone has to play in the same conditions, so nobody should have a gripe, but on the other hand, you are taking away things that make great players great. If they can't stop a ball on the green, then the best approach guy on tour is no different from the 200th best approach guy on the tour. How about a guy who is good at recovering from an errant drive that ends up in the rough? Oh sorry, the rough here is 12 inches tall and it takes five minutes to even tell if that is your ball buried under it. You end up with a course that rewards randomness as much as skill, and that doesn't make for interesting viewing in my mind. You had a par four which 57 players played today, some of the best in the world, and not a single one could get a birdie. If you think that is entertaining, then you are welcome to it. I like a tough course, especially for a major, but the whole round today you had 57 players playing 18 holes... that's 1,026 holes of golf being played. There were 2 eagles. That's 0.2%. I get that they don't know what the weather will have in store and all of that, but I had to walk away from watching it today after about a half hour.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
GoldenJet wrote:
Amazing how the leader board changed. The leader shoots +7 and two other guys come out of nowhere to shoot -4...an 11 shot swing to pull into a tie. Incredible.

Is this the first time you’ve watched a US Open?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

newper wrote:
I get that it everyone has to play in the same conditions, so nobody should have a gripe, but on the other hand, you are taking away things that make great players great. If they can't stop a ball on the green, then the best approach guy on tour is no different from the 200th best approach guy on the tour. How about a guy who is good at recovering from an errant drive that ends up in the rough? Oh sorry, the rough here is 12 inches tall and it takes five minutes to even tell if that is your ball buried under it. You end up with a course that rewards randomness as much as skill, and that doesn't make for interesting viewing in my mind. You had a par four which 57 players played today, some of the best in the world, and not a single one could get a birdie. If you think that is entertaining, then you are welcome to it. I like a tough course, especially for a major, but the whole round today you had 57 players playing 18 holes... that's 1,026 holes of golf being played. There were 2 eagles. That's 0.2%. I get that they don't know what the weather will have in store and all of that, but I had to walk away from watching it today after about a half hour.

It rewards the best shot makers. Play to the conditions. I love when par is a good score.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 pm 

I just don’t get the philosophy of the US Open. They’ve gone too far. I don’t want to see someone win because of attrition. I want to see a great golfer win because he made great golf shots.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:51 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
It rewards the best shot makers. Play to the conditions.

This applies to every golf tournament that is played.

Mr. Reason wrote:
I love when par is a good score.

OK, then you probably really liked today.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Keyser Soze wrote:
I just don’t get the philosophy of the US Open. They’ve gone too far. I don’t want to see someone win because of attrition. I want to see a great golfer win because he made great golf shots.

The winner will have made better golf shots than the losers. It only stands to reason.

You play the course and the conditions and the best golfer wins.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

newper wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
It rewards the best shot makers. Play to the conditions.

This applies to every golf tournament that is played.

Mr. Reason wrote:
I love when par is a good score.

OK, then you probably really liked today.

I did. It was great theatre.

As far as your first quote goes, what’s your fucking beef?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:59 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:

My beef is that if it applies to every tournament, then it isn't a logical reason to like this tournament any better than any other one. You're basically saying that you like the US Open because it is hard to score well, which is fine. I just disagree with that view point because I think by removing the ability for players to score well, they are unable to show off their skill. Say you had a NASCAR race where the tires sucked and they had to pit every 20 laps because they were falling apart, and the guy that won just happened to be able to pit under more yellows than the rest of the field. You call that playing to the course and making the right moves and you enjoy that -- that's fine. I would rather the teams have the chance to show off how well they can put together a NASCAR team and not be handicapped by course conditions that are out of their control. It is just two different viewpoints.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:06 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Are 11 shot swings in one round common at the top of the leader board?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

newper wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:

My beef is that if it applies to every tournament, then it isn't a logical reason to like this tournament any better than any other one. You're basically saying that you like the US Open because it is hard to score well, which is fine. I just disagree with that view point because I think by removing the ability for players to score well, they are unable to show off their skill. Say you had a NASCAR race where the tires sucked and they had to pit every 20 laps because they were falling apart, and the guy that won just happened to be able to pit under more yellows than the rest of the field. You call that playing to the course and making the right moves and you enjoy that -- that's fine. I would rather the teams have the chance to show off how well they can put together a NASCAR team and not be handicapped by course conditions that are out of their control. It is just two different viewpoints.

No one gives a fuck about NASCAR on Long Island.

Shotmakers win the US Open.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

At the US Open...yes. It happens and it’s fine by me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:15 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Gil Thorp once came back from 41 shots down to win the local tourney.

It can happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:18 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

It can happen.

Yeah, but that's Gil Thorp... These millennials couldn't hang.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

It can happen.

Gil Thorp was a flamer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

You really don't know shit from shinola in this case.

What's the largest single day charge at a US Open?

How often has an 11 stroke deficit been made up in a single round in PGA history?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

How often has an 11 stroke deficit been made up in a single round in PGA history?

Do you really want to look like a dumbfuck in another thread?

Perhaps, you should just stay in the thread Mr. Crest is pummeling you and call it a day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:44 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:45 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Do you really want to look like a dumbfuck in another thread?

Perhaps, you should just stay in the thread Mr. Crest is pummeling you and call it a day.

Get busy. You've got a lot of homework to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet, if you weren’t a fucking dolt, you’d have no personality whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:22 pm 

How's the research going?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:53 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I'm fine with the course being tough, that's kind of what the USOpen stakes Its reputation and trophy on. Guys putting off the green and balls hitting the green and slowly trickling into bunkers is a bit much. I saw some very good shots get penalized. The USGA tiptoed the line with how it was set up and should have known about the wind coming up. The guys played two different courses from early to late tee times. It doesn't matter now anyway, we should have an exciting Sunday. Most importantly, shakes should be really happy and enjoying the carnage. :lol:

As a side note, I hope they don't soften the course too much as a reactionary move based on the criticism. If an over par score wins the tournament I am just fine with that. My guess is something around +1 should put you in the mix.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:49 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Mr. Reason wrote:
It was the same conditions for everyone.

:lol: No it wasn't.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Phil did what he did, whatever. What bothers me is how he tried to cover it up by acting like he's some rules guru and is so smart. Like David Duval said, if he's really that clever he would have let that ball come to rest, declared it unplayable, and hit the putt again taking only a one-stroke penalty. Just say you hate the USGA. It's okay. WYC Phil?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:49 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Franky T wrote:
Phil did what he did, whatever. What bothers me is how he tried to cover it up by acting like he's some rules guru and is so smart. Like David Duval said, if he's really that clever he would have let that ball come to rest, declared it unplayable, and hit the putt again taking only a one-stroke penalty. Just say you hate the USGA. It's okay. WYC Phil?

It's always interesting to see the old Phil pop his head up from time-to-time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I dont know the ins and outs of the specific rule, but can you really declare a ball on the green as unplayable?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I dont know the ins and outs of the specific rule, but can you really declare a ball on the green as unplayable?

You can declare a ball unplayable anywhere on the course (except a water hazard obviously).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:08 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
It was the same conditions for everyone.

:lol: No it wasn't.

First five groups averaged 73.2 and the last five groups averaged 76.7.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hit the fairways and GIR, play par golf and you'll be fine.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
I hope Phil shoots 85 today. The Eddie Haskell of the tour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next