It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SUV opinions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I got a Nissan Murano last year. Like it a lot except for the part where the trunk has stopped opening 3x in the past month and a half.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:14 pm 

I really like my MDX. But the newer ones don't pull as much weight so I don't know if you want something 2013 or older...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
If you can't tow at least 5k then you should just have a car.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I rented a Ford Expedition while in the ATL a few weeks ago. Great ride but drinks a ton of gas. But dammit if I don't love SUVs. I still act like a little kid and will stop in my tracks if a smooth, all black Tahoe or Yukon drives by.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:11 pm 

spmack wrote:
I rented a Ford Expedition while in the ATL a few weeks ago. Great ride but drinks a ton of gas. But dammit if I don't love SUVs. I still act like a little kid and will stop in my tracks if a smooth, all black Tahoe or Yukon drives by.

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
spmack wrote:
I rented a Ford Expedition while in the ATL a few weeks ago.
Surprised you didn't rent a rainbow colored Range Rover.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Frank Coztansa wrote:
spmack wrote:
I rented a Ford Expedition while in the ATL a few weeks ago.
Surprised you didn't rent a rainbow colored Range Rover.

Can't afford that, playa.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Nick&Vito's
We have two Toyota Rav 4 in our house and love them. We only have one child so they are a nice size for our needs. If we needed bigger I would look at the Toyota Highlander or the four runner. We have been a Toyota family for over a decade and have never regretted it. They hold their value quite well also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 pm 

Chilli Palmer wrote:
We have two Toyota Rav 4 in our house and love them. We only have one child so they are a nice size for our needs. If we needed bigger I would look at the Toyota Highlander or the four runner. We have been a Toyota family for over a decade and have never regretted it. They hold their value quite well also.

This is actually something I found to be very surprising about used vehicles. I guess it is due to the explosion of the new prices but SUVs and Pickups are sky high for slightly used models. That used to be a nice value move for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Nick&Vito's
pittmike wrote:
Chilli Palmer wrote:

This is actually something I found to be very surprising about used vehicles. I guess it is due to the explosion of the new prices but SUVs and Pickups are sky high for slightly used models. That used to be a nice value move for me.

Yes sir. It gives us an opportunity to upgrade every two three years too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Another vote for the Highlander. My wife picked that out as the vehicle she would like to drive, I found one the exact color she liked at our local dealer, and we drove it home! Gets about 24mpg highway with the V6 and will really pull hard from a light, good zip. 50k miles now and just regular old changes so far. Would buy another.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
K Effective wrote:
Another vote for the Highlander. My wife picked that out as the vehicle she would like to drive, I found one the exact color she liked at our local dealer, and we drove it home! Gets about 24mpg highway with the V6 and will really pull hard from a light, good zip. 50k miles now and just regular old changes so far. Would buy another.

You wanna race for pinks?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm 

IMU wrote:
K Effective wrote:

You can’t understand why some would have different vehicle needs than you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
pittmike wrote:
You can’t understand?
Fixed.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Check out the GMC Acadia too. Two years ago we thought that was really nice too but wanted a full size SUV.

Yeah Acadia is the same I am pretty sure. I wonder sometimes how much money GM could save by just moving the GMC line into Chevy?

The Buick (name escapes me) is the fanciest model, the GMC Acadia is the mid-range model, and the Chevy Traverse is the lower end model. That said, a fully loaded Chevy is pretty much the same as a base Buick.

I had driven all three models in the previous body type, and I thought the Acadia had the best balance of styling, space, amenities, and price. But I am single and the Equinox LTZ was more than big enough for as long as i was able to get it without a sunroof, which was a challenge but doable.

Oddly, the Equinox has more driver legroom than the Traverse, because there is only two rows instead of three.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Chilli Palmer wrote:

I am a Toyota car owner and my son just bought a new Toyota Sienna. I would go with what Chili says.
I heard somewhere there are issues with even the Honda CRV with mysterious gas smells.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Check out the GMC Acadia too. Two years ago we thought that was really nice too but wanted a full size SUV.

Yeah Acadia is the same I am pretty sure. I wonder sometimes how much money GM could save by just moving the GMC line into Chevy?

The Buick (name escapes me) is the fanciest model, the GMC Acadia is the mid-range model, and the Chevy Traverse is the lower end model. That said, a fully loaded Chevy is pretty much the same as a base Buick.

I had driven all three models in the previous body type, and I thought the Acadia had the best balance of styling, space, amenities, and price. But I am single and the Equinox LTZ was more than big enough for as long as i was able to get it without a sunroof, which was a challenge but doable.

Oddly, the Equinox has more driver legroom than the Traverse, because there is only two rows instead of three.

Enclave I believe for Buick. We had one, Id say the GMC Denali trim was higher end but whatever. Car had no pick up whatsoever. Had to mash it when merging onto interstate. Beyond that it rode nice. Wife has an Expedition now, with three kids and road trips it’s almost a necessity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Enclave I believe for Buick. We had one, Id say the GMC Denali trim was higher end but whatever. Car had no pick up whatsoever. Had to mash it when merging onto interstate. Beyond that it rode nice. Wife has an Expedition now, with three kids and road trips it’s almost a necessity.

Yeah, both the Enclave/Acadia/Traverse and the Terrain/Equinox are underpowered if you get the base engine. I have the 4 cylinder in the Equinox because it gets really good gas mileage for a SUV (25 average for a suburban commute to the city, 30-32 if I keep it at 60-65 on the interstate) but when I've had rentals they are really cranky in the mountains in eco-mode, and still annoyed in regular mode.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:27 am 

Well I ended up getting the Traverse. I am happy with it so far. Got a good trim level and equipment for the price. GMC/Buick level of fancier was never my thing. This thing looks good to me though for sure. Maybe as it is brand new for 2018 and some opinions were on previous?

The motor is a V^ and I got up to 70 fast enough getting on the highway so its good. I am interested to see the real mileage in a while. It has that weird thing where the motor shuts down at traffic lights and longer pauses. It seems odd until I get used to it. Also, how does that not kill a starter?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:20 am 

pittmike wrote:
IMU wrote:
K Effective wrote:

I can't understand how a Highlander V6 owner thinks their car pulls really hard from a light. But maybe if your last car was a Honda CR-V or something a Highlander would feel quick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 am 

pittmike wrote:
Well I ended up getting the Traverse. I am happy with it so far. Got a good trim level and equipment for the price. GMC/Buick level of fancier was never my thing. This thing looks good to me though for sure. Maybe as it is brand new for 2018 and some opinions were on previous?

The motor is a V^ and I got up to 70 fast enough getting on the highway so its good. I am interested to see the real mileage in a while. It has that weird thing where the motor shuts down at traffic lights and longer pauses. It seems odd until I get used to it. Also, how does that not kill a starter?

The starter and battery are much different (better) in start-stop cars, and that is reflected in the price.

I dislike start-stop rentals, but luckily I don't get them super often. Seems like soon all rental fleets will be start-stop though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am 

IMU wrote:
pittmike wrote:
IMU wrote:
K Effective wrote:

I can't understand how a Highlander V6 owner thinks their car pulls really hard from a light. But maybe if your last car was a Honda CR-V or something a Highlander would feel quick.

I can't speak to the Highlander. Mine goes as well as I want TBH. No AC drag etc. and is a 9 speed so maybe that smooths it out? I didn't want a big V8 again or a 4 cyl Turbo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Chilli Palmer wrote:

I have a '13 Highlander, wife has a '15 Rav4. We are both extremely happy with our vehicles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 am 

pittmike wrote:
IMU wrote:
pittmike wrote:
IMU wrote:
K Effective wrote:

I can't speak to the Highlander. Mine goes as well as I want TBH. No AC drag etc. and is a 9 speed so maybe that smooths it out? I didn't want a big V8 again or a 4 cyl Turbo.

AC drag? What year is it?!?!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 am 

IMU wrote:
pittmike wrote:
IMU wrote:
pittmike wrote:
IMU wrote:
K Effective wrote:

AC drag? What year is it?!?!

:lol: I have some older cars that my kids used that were my dads when he died. 2008 or older. And yes they sometimes dragged uphill with full blast AC.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:05 am 

denisdman wrote:

:lol:

Wow avatar worthy.

Last edited by pittmike on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:10 am 

In the end I am very happy with the space in the vehicle as well. As I saw it unless you have a specific need I can't see buying and crew cab pick up for the same price or moving up in range considerable for larger or luxury units.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
pittmike wrote:
In the end I am very happy with the space in the vehicle as well. As I saw it unless you have a specific need I can't see buying and crew cab pick up for the same price or moving up in range considerable for larger or luxury units.

Feel ya.

I would love to have a badass pickup or overlanding SUV but I live in city with few options to utilize the capabilities.

reality/sensibility sucks.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:20 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Feel ya.

I would love to have a badass pickup or overlanding SUV but I live in city with few options to utilize the capabilities.

reality/sensibility sucks.

At least you are still younger. :lol: