It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Come on now. I'm not that surprised by DR's post.

This is the same guy that said U of I football isn't recruiting enough white people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
It comes from an Australian paper. The cartoonist was trying to portray her as a baby throwing a tantrum, hence the pacifier.

People automatically were looking at the racist angle, but ignoring the plain meaning of it. It's a caricature.

Yeah, it's a caricature and I'm not gonna judge the artist's intentions. But I would say that there is a long history of negative caricatures designed to dehumanize black people. The fact that caricatures by there very nature accentuate certain features makes it shaky ground to do it with a black person. There should be a line there. It's not like the guy isn't earning any heat he takes for this cartoon. Drawing a caricature of Serena with giant lips and a huge ass like that is a little different than the one my dad had drawn of him in New Orleans where he had a gigantic nose.

Many caricatures have been drawn of Trump, of which many have been distasteful for his position as POTUS. But because it's Trump, there has not been the outrage this cartoon has received.

Because the subject is black, does that mean it's automatically racist? Is there no way that Serena could be depicted in a caricature without being racist? Based on peoples' reactions, it would seem the answer is no.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Dignified Rube wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
It comes from an Australian paper. The cartoonist was trying to portray her as a baby throwing a tantrum, hence the pacifier.

People automatically were looking at the racist angle, but ignoring the plain meaning of it. It's a caricature.

Yeah, it's a caricature and I'm not gonna judge the artist's intentions. But I would say that there is a long history of negative caricatures designed to dehumanize black people. The fact that caricatures by there very nature accentuate certain features makes it shaky ground to do it with a black person. There should be a line there. It's not like the guy isn't earning any heat he takes for this cartoon. Drawing a caricature of Serena with giant lips and a huge ass like that is a little different than the one my dad had drawn of him in New Orleans where he had a gigantic nose.

Many caricatures have been drawn of Trump, of which many have been distasteful for his position as POTUS. But because it's Trump, there has not been the outrage this cartoon has received.

Because the subject is black, does that mean it's automatically racist? Is there no way that Serena could be depicted in a caricature without being racist? Based on peoples' reactions, it would seem the answer is no.

Perhaps there isn't.

And I'm sure you understand that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Nobody is above being lampooned.

Period.

Serena Williams is old enough to control herself, and she is also old enough to suffer the consequences of acting like a complete selfish asshole.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Panther pislA wrote:

Period.

Serena Williams is old enough to control herself, and she is also old enough to suffer the consequences of acting like a complete selfish asshole.

Sure, anyone can be lampooned. And Serena deserves to take heat for acting like a douchebag. But let me ask you a question. Does Serena have big giant lips?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:20 pm 

Why is the asian girl depicted as a blonde white woman and the hispanic judge as a white man?

It's just a wildly inaccurate 'toon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Why is the asian girl depicted as a blonde white woman and the hispanic judge as a white man?

Were there any cartoons about Zina Bash? That would be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
He should have depicted Osaka in a top hat and skull necklace .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Another case of roid rage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:20 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:

Period.

Sure, anyone can be lampooned. And Serena deserves to take heat for acting like a douchebag. But let me ask you a question. Does Serena have big giant lips?

Compared to a Helen Hunt or Holly Hunter, of course (what is it with women with Hunt in their name having extremely thin lips?), but what is a caricaturist to do?

I think it is a stretch to assume anything other than that the artist was trying to portray that she was acting like a baby, and he took and accentuated her apparent features. That is a caricature.

See also: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366& ... OkulrYiAz8

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Allow me to generalize: Australians are even bigger racists than we are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm 

The cartoonist is brave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:43 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Do you want really want this image out there, and associated with your name, interests? Not a good look.

It's in the news, subject for discussion. I didn't say it was tasteful. But it's obvious it's a caricature.

It's incredibly de-humanizing to African Americans. If you are cool with that good luck to you. I'm surprised you want to put that out there while promoting your online business and all your contacts through IU School of Business. Stuff like this gets out.

I'd expect that type of post from The Hawk but not Dignified Rube.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:44 pm 

Serena Williams will be just fine .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Allow me to generalize: Australians are even bigger racists than we are.

MarKKKnight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:18 pm 

I really don't think the cartoonist was trying to be racist, but it's been interpreted as such. How could he be, working for a major newspaper, if he wanted to stay in his job?

The effect he was trying to achieve was to match her ridiculous tantrum on the court, including breaking her racket, to her caricature depiction. There's no getting around that Serena is a hulk of woman, and this is how she was portrayed. As for her large mouth, this was done to emphasize her crying or whining, but not done in any intentional stereotypical way. Anyone who has studied art and specifically, cartoon art, would realize that immediately.

Maybe you don't like the rendering, but it's supposed to be an exaggeration. That's what makes it comical, like how Trump is portrayed as fat and his hair fake in his caricatures. Because she has won many majors and is a prominent world-class athlete does not make her immune to ridicule, when in this case she deserved it. How many of the people who have criticized the cartoonist and accused him of being racist actually watched Serena's blow-up? I don't think this has ever happened with a woman to this degree, and she only made it worse for herself by accusing the chair empire of sexism, when she had been in the wrong according to the rules.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 pm 

That isn't a racist cartoon, I can show you some racist cartoons/memes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:40 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
I really don't think the cartoonist was trying to be racist, but it's been interpreted as such. How could he be, working for a major newspaper, if he wanted to stay in his job?

The effect he was trying to achieve was to match her ridiculous tantrum on the court, including breaking her racket, to her caricature depiction. There's no getting around that Serena is a hulk of woman, and this is how she was portrayed. As for her large mouth, this was done to emphasize her crying or whining, but not done in any intentional stereotypical way. Anyone who has studied art and specifically, cartoon art, would realize that immediately.

Maybe you don't like the rendering, but it's supposed to be an exaggeration. That's what makes it comical, like how Trump is portrayed as fat and his hair fake in his caricatures. Because she has won many majors and is a prominent world-class athlete does not make her immune to ridicule, when in this case she deserved it. How many of the people who have criticized the cartoonist and accused him of being racist actually watched Serena's blow-up? I don't think this has ever happened with a woman to this degree, and she only made it worse for herself by accusing the chair empire of sexism, when she had been in the wrong according to the rules.

The actual event was not even half of what McEnroe used to do, however, if rules disallow looking over to a coach during a game (which is pretty stupid), her actions afterward deserve ridicule just like anyone else's would.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:

Period.

On her face, no. Not sure about elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:20 pm 

Many comedians have complained that humor is dead, because social justice has taken us to the point that virtually any criticism based on a person's qualities is off limits. And I would say that is more true of minorities, mostly black, than anyone else. After seeing the reaction to this benign cartoon, I can see why that is true. This is shame, because much of the humor from the 70s and 80s that people found funny was based on race. For example, how about Richard Pryor's interview skit with Chevy Chase on SNL, when they were shouting racial slurs at one another, or Eddie Murphy making fun of Italian people in his stand-up routine by mimicking Stalone? Such humor would not be palatable now. But it's still ok for black people to make fun of themselves, but not anyone else, like in Coming to America, which was definitely a funny movie.

If the cartoonist was black and not an Australian (people were just as guilty of stereotyping him), would the reaction had been the same? Definitely not. But that's not to say that a black cartoonist would not have drawn Serena differently. It's very possible he would have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:30 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
1) comedy is dead, it's been replaced by making good points about Donald Trump

2) you really shouldn't draw Serena Williams like a mammy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:52 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Not any more you can't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:03 pm 

2018 US Open

Code violations

Men 86
Women 22

Keep fighting that blatant sexism in tennis, Queenie .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not in that picture. She did a snapchat or Instagram thing on pregnancy lips though. No idea if he was referencing that, doing a (poor)caricature or falling back on negative racial stereotypes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Not any more you can't.

Since when did you get my login information?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
tommy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Were there any cartoons about Zina Bash? That would be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Frank's Pizzeria
I catch anyone defiling any person of color, especially a beautiful black woman of color, you'll be begging for prison rape when I'm done with you. I'll come at you like a Tomahawk missile. You won't even see me, or feel anything until you wake up in a hospital bed. And that's if I have the energy left to haul your ass to the hospital. If not, you'll be munching asphalt until your dear fascist Trumposexual friends peel you off the street.

You have been warned.