It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Signed up for this bad boy:

Quote:
The annual Hood To Coast Relay is an overnight, long-distance relay race held in the U.S. state of Oregon, annually in late August, traditionally on the Friday and Saturday before the Labor Day weekend. It is one of the longest and largest relays in the world (with 12,600 in Hood To Coast Relay, 18,000 total participants, including Portland To Coast Walk Relay and High School Challenge Relay). The Hood To Coast has filled its team limit for the past 27 years, and 20 straight years on Opening Day of the lottery.

The course runs approximately 320 km (200 mi) (the course length changes by 1-5 km each year due to small changes made by race organizers) from Timberline Lodge on the slopes of Mount Hood, the tallest peak in Oregon, through the Portland metropolitan area, and over the Oregon Coast Range to the beach town of Seaside on the Oregon Coast.

You end up running 3 legs of the race. Could be as little as 14 miles or as many as 19 miles over the 36 hours depending on which number runner you're on the team. Right when I go out to pound the pavement I can rip off 6 miles easy and comfortably run up to 10 miles. However my pace has gone to shit and my pace is down 1.5-2 minutes a mile due to laziness and treats.

Time to start getting back in peak running shape.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Must be nice being out of the playoffs. My focus is completely on the BEARS!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Kirkwood wrote:
Signed up for this bad boy:

Quote:
The annual Hood To Coast Relay is an overnight, long-distance relay race held in the U.S. state of Oregon, annually in late August, traditionally on the Friday and Saturday before the Labor Day weekend. It is one of the longest and largest relays in the world (with 12,600 in Hood To Coast Relay, 18,000 total participants, including Portland To Coast Walk Relay and High School Challenge Relay). The Hood To Coast has filled its team limit for the past 27 years, and 20 straight years on Opening Day of the lottery.

The course runs approximately 320 km (200 mi) (the course length changes by 1-5 km each year due to small changes made by race organizers) from Timberline Lodge on the slopes of Mount Hood, the tallest peak in Oregon, through the Portland metropolitan area, and over the Oregon Coast Range to the beach town of Seaside on the Oregon Coast.

You end up running 3 legs of the race. Could be as little as 14 miles or as many as 19 miles over the 36 hours depending on which number runner you're on the team. Right when I go out to pound the pavement I can rip off 6 miles easy and comfortably run up to 10 miles. However my pace has gone to shit and my pace is down 1.5-2 minutes a mile due to laziness and treats.

Time to start getting back in peak running shape.

That race (and other relays) have always intrigued me. Some friends of mine are trying to get me to commit to an upcoming Ragnar Trail relay in Michigan that seems pretty cool. They did the Ragnar Chicago a couple years back and had a lot of fun, so maybe i will give it a try.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Baby Steps on everything that I should be doing. Eliminating stuff that I shouldn't be doing.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Missed my weigh in last week as I was down with the flu. Still have the flu and haven't exercised in a week, but also haven't eaten either. Got on the scale today and was down 2.5 lbs from last weigh in. down to 204.8. Supposed to skate today, but this flu has kicked my ass and probably going to skip. hoping to get back on the ice sunday and then hit my normal weigh in day.

Goal of 190 is getting closer and closer.

Thinking about taking the wife to our favorite place in Cancun for her 40th birthday in April. Would be great to hit my goal by then.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 am 

forced myself to go to hockey this morning. Took short shifts and spent my time on the bench coughing but was able to skate the full 1.5 hours. Weighed in at 204.4. Down over 20 lbs total since Labor Day. Trying to get to 190.

Looking to plan Mexican vacation for my wife's 40th coming up in April, should give me enough time to hit my goal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Down 3lbs last week. No drinking during the week, getting to the gym at least every other day and trying to do an amended fasting type diet.
I usually have a hard boiled egg and piece of bacon for breakfast at 5am but other than that only try to eat between 11am and 5pm. I should
truly try to cut out the egg and bacon but if I don't have something in my stomach in the morning I am likely to kill someone. Just trying to keep
it going one week at a time. I can work harder and longer at the gym than I have been.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
T-Bone wrote:
Down 3lbs last week. No drinking during the week, getting to the gym at least every other day and trying to do an amended fasting type diet.
I usually have a hard boiled egg and piece of bacon for breakfast at 5am but other than that only try to eat between 11am and 5pm. I should
truly try to cut out the egg and bacon but if I don't have something in my stomach in the morning I am likely to kill someone. Just trying to keep
it going one week at a time. I can work harder and longer at the gym than I have been.

Nice start to the year!

Why would you drop the hard boiled egg from your diet? Eggs are a great source of nutrition and are pretty low in calories.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
shakes wrote:
Missed my weigh in last week as I was down with the flu. Still have the flu and haven't exercised in a week, but also haven't eaten either. Got on the scale today and was down 2.5 lbs from last weigh in. down to 204.8. Supposed to skate today, but this flu has kicked my ass and probably going to skip. hoping to get back on the ice sunday and then hit my normal weigh in day.

Thinking about taking the wife to our favorite place in Cancun for her 40th birthday in April. Would be great to hit my goal by then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:41 am 
1000 CLUB

Telegram Sam wrote:
shakes wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:44 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Nice start to the year!

Why would you drop the hard boiled egg from your diet? Eggs are a great source of nutrition and are pretty low in calories.

I think with a true fasting diet I would only eat between 11 am and 5 or 6pm but I can't wait that long. A piece of bacon and hard boiled egg
is only about 150 calories so I don't see it as being detrimental to my end goal and keeps me from buying something else I should not have at
work. I picked up some beef jerky at Costco this weekend and plan to put some of that in my desk as an emergency stash if I get extremely
Hangry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:53 am 

gained a couple lbs back this week, not surprising. Appetite came back and didn't eat very well this last week while recovering from flu and also throw in some depression eating with my dog dying.

Back on track this week with 4 skates planned and going to cut back my dinner intake quite a bit this week which basically means I'll be eating a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

2019 has gotten off to a rough start for me.

I've been to busy to work out and my diet has been pretty crappy--lots of beer and rich food.

As a result, I've gained about five pounds since Christmas.

Gotta put a halt to the decadence right now and get back into my routine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Gourmet Pizza by Carlo
Down 15 lbs since the beginning of the year, next weigh-in is tomorrow morning. Obviously this amount of weight loss this quickly speaks to how morbidly obese I currently am. After two weeks of easing myself back into weight lifting, gonna hit it hard starting today. Glad to be back posting in this section after several years avoiding it due to complete and utter gluttony.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Down 15 lbs since the beginning of the year, next weigh-in is tomorrow morning. Obviously this amount of weight loss this quickly speaks to how morbidly obese I currently am. After two weeks of easing myself back into weight lifting, gonna hit it hard starting today. Glad to be back posting in this section after several years avoiding it due to complete and utter gluttony.

You've lost 15 lbs in 14 days? That's crazy. I'm gonna assume a lot of that is water weight. Keep us posted on your progress.

I ran for about 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning. Easing myself back into things after a three-week layoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Just got back home from Disney where I ate like there was no tomorrow and also ran the Disney HM. Gained several pounds back that I had recently shed so it is back to the grindstone for me. Week 4 of my marathon training kicks off tonight, these next several weeks are really going to set the tone for me going forward. I have to lay off the sugary drinks and beer and really focus on healthy diet and getting in the miles, even when it is cold and crappy. The mileage starts to crank up in February and I need to prepared for it physically and mentally.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:
2019 has gotten off to a rough start for me.

I've been to busy to work out and my diet has been pretty crappy--lots of beer and rich food.

As a result, I've gained about five pounds since Christmas.

Gotta put a halt to the decadence right now and get back into my routine.

Rich Food was my Stews and Bisques instructor at the Culinary Institute. Great teacher!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Back lifting after a few years. Spent 2018 running and kind of plateaued so now I'm trying to scale back some of running (max 55-70/month) and introduce lifting. I just want a damn course I can follow. How many sets should I be doing? How long? Idk. I'm at a loss since it's been so long. Right now I'm just doing lat machine and a biceps machine. 100 total on the biceps and 50 on the lat. I increase the weight as I get closer to 100 and 50. Is this effective? How long should I be doing this per gym session? I feel sore sometimes when I'm done and I'm short of breath but I'm not sweating. Makes me think something is off.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
shakes wrote:
.. Took short shifts ....

Keep things simple. Don't try to do too much. Move the puck, move yourself. And pucks gotta get deep.

shakes wrote:
....Looking to plan Mexican vacation for my wife's 40th coming up in April....

https://www.desire-experience.com/resor ... ya-resort/

https://www.temptation-experience.com/r ... un-resort/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:57 pm 

a genius wrote:
shakes wrote:
.. Took short shifts ....

Keep things simple. Don't try to do too much. Move the puck, move yourself. And pucks gotta get deep.

shakes wrote:
....Looking to plan Mexican vacation for my wife's 40th coming up in April....

https://www.desire-experience.com/resor ... ya-resort/

https://www.temptation-experience.com/r ... un-resort/

It's rat hockey, if you're not trying to do too much you're not trying.

Thanks for the rec's from Mexico, but I got a much better place I go to there, rated #1 adults only all inclusive in the carribean.

https://www.leblancsparesorts.com/en

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:03 pm 

Yes if one can judge by websites your place does look better :thumleft:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 pm 

a genius wrote:

I've been there a couple times, it really does live up to the hype. Never had better food or service in my life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:06 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:

You've lost 15 lbs in 14 days? That's crazy. I'm gonna assume a lot of that is water weight. Keep us posted on your progress.

I ran for about 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning. Easing myself back into things after a three-week layoff.

Missed this but yeah, I'm sure it's mostly water weight. Sadly, I've shown zero ability over the past well, ever, I guess, to maintain. I'm either going up or down. Once I commit, this generally goes 10-ish, 5-ish, 2.5-3 for awhile, then 2-2.5 until I fall off the wagon. Really, really need to end this cycle. Down a total of 18.8 lbs as of this morning. Soon I get to play my fun game of "How many Chicago Bears weigh less than me?". Currently zero, but Hicks better watch himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:22 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Back lifting after a few years. Spent 2018 running and kind of plateaued so now I'm trying to scale back some of running (max 55-70/month) and introduce lifting. I just want a damn course I can follow. How many sets should I be doing? How long? Idk. I'm at a loss since it's been so long. Right now I'm just doing lat machine and a biceps machine. 100 total on the biceps and 50 on the lat. I increase the weight as I get closer to 100 and 50. Is this effective? How long should I be doing this per gym session? I feel sore sometimes when I'm done and I'm short of breath but I'm not sweating. Makes me think something is off.

What goals are you looking to accomplish by lifting? If shedding fat, something like this should work - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/density-giant-set-training-maintain-muscle-fat-loss.html?page=4 This one is supposed to kick your ass. I haven't tried it personally yet, but the feedback on it is pretty much 100% positive.

If strength is your goal, 5*5 works best for me - basically find a weight where you struggle to do 5 sets of 5. Don't increase the weight at all throughout your sets. Once you can get through 5*5, then move up in weight your next workout. It's fine if you're hitting only 2-3 reps as you progress through your sets. Keep track, though, as you'll notice you'll improve by rep or two every almost every workout.

If you want bigger muscles, I think they say try to stay in the 5-7 rep range and keep your rest pretty short between sets (30-45 seconds). I'm sure you can google better info on that. Same site as above has a ton of workouts to match your goals.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:32 am 

My weight loss continues to tick down in the right direction. I have been going to the gym at least 4 times a week and I think it is finally starting to show.
My chest is starting to tighten up and my arms are getting bigger so those were a couple of the goals. Clothes fitting better. I still need to tone up in
my torso region but I'm keeping at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Long and rambling in case there's somebody else over three spins who might benefit....

The last seven months 2019 was a completely waste for me after February. I went up nearly 20 pounds total, and more disturbingly, my blood sugar went from a 5.6 to a 7.5 from the lack of exercise. But plantar fascitis followed by two blood clots in the lung and two in the leg will do that to you.

And I started off 2019 with 15 days of prednisone for a bronchial viral thing that my dad, half my office, and I all have, and that still hasn't cleared. Fuck.

But I am down in NC for three weeks at Duke Diet and Fitness Center, where I've been a couple of times before, for a hard reset. For any of you who have the financial and work flexibility to do it, and who are way up there weight-wise, this is a fantastic program to get back on track. The fitness side is tailored to your skill set and has seen people less healthy than you as well as retired NFL linemen trying to reset, so I'm doing NuStep (recumbent rower), treadmill, pool aerobics, and starting next week flexibility/core stretching and strengthening exercises for my thigh muscles, which have been damaged over the years. I can't do too much treadmill because of the bronchial stuff, but everything else is good. I've been around several guys here before who are over 400, and there was one guy who had just gone below 600 when I was there. There are often are here because they need to lose weight for surgery like knee or hip replacements. Most of the guys here right now are between 270 and 400.

The rest of the program integrates medical, behavioral, and nutrition. They make you three meals a weekday and breakfast and lunch on the weekend, you customize from the choices each day for either a low-fat or a low-carb diet. The low fat diet is about 1600 calories per day. Both diets are very low sodium, so the first week you lose about 3% of your body weight in excess water. A typical day is two lectures, two exercise sessions, one 1-on-1 check in for 15 minutes, and three meals.

This is really meant for getting set up to take the plan home with you. Minimum stay for new folks is 2 weeks, 4 is recommended although they'll let you do 2 then take a couple of weeks off to deal with work/family and then do 2 more. Returning folks like me come by the week. Only thing is the program is expensive, it's $5750 for new people for 2 weeks or $8815 for 4. Once you do 4 weeks, the returning weeks are $1100 each, which is what I'm paying. So this isn't just going to XSport....

Anyway.... if you need to lose 50, 100, 150 pounds and you are disgusted and you can afford to get away for a few weeks, seriously consider this option. I hit 381 late in 2013 and made the decision to go in 2014. I lost 65 pounds after that, and only put a bunch of it back on after other health challenges. I walked in at 359 on Monday, up from 336 when I had my open heart surgery 16 months ago. My goal is to walk out of here closer to 340, and get back down to 336 by the end of February, then go from there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 am 

shakes wrote:
a genius wrote:

I've been there a couple times, it really does live up to the hype. Never had better food or service in my life.

One cliche I forgot: "Head on a swivel." Seems it might come in handy there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
veganfan21 wrote:

Deadlifts, squats, and bench press. These are good compound movements that recruit many different muscles. Rotate between these three during the week and supplement with machines.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 am 

Kick some ass Chet. Good for you.

I'm at 255 but I feel like I should be a 225. I am not the biggest dude in the world but I realize I will never get back to my high school
fighting weight of 190.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:06 am 
1000 CLUB

Wow, Chet, sorry to hear about all of your health challenges, but it's great that you're tackling your weight and diet issues so aggressively. Good luck to you!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next