It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2019 PGA Tour Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Read better, Frank.

I realize a nuanced conversation is lost on you when it comes to Tiger, but my point was about how the schedule change played a huge role in how Tiger approached the season. He was going to enjoy the Masters victory and not get right down to business after he won. Your analysis about him is just wrong. Do you actually follow the tour other than watching it?

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:32 am 

pittmike wrote:
Furious has been, well, a little furious lately.

SomeGuy bit, Mike. You know this right?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: I'm not wrong.

I get that he was going to enjoy his green jacket tour, ad evidenced by him not teeing it up again until the US Open. He learned last year that he can't push himself as he used too. Knee surgeries and back surgeries have clearly hampered the latter part of his career, so it makes sense that he can't and doesn't play as much as he used to.

The way to get better and more consistent though, is to practice. It doesn't matter if you're a weekend warrior or a Tour player. If you don't or can't play somewhat often, you aren't likely to get a whole lot better.

Tiger's back caused him issues at The Open. Then, he took a break. Then his back caused him to WD this weekend. Clearly going into the season, he was all for getting ready for the Masters. It paid off bigtime. In terms of the leaderboard, he has been a non factor every tournament he has played since. So, as I initially and correctly said, we have to wonder if Tiger is ever going to be able to play golf consistently enough to win again. Its a perfectly valid point to make. Time obviously will tell who is "right" here.

And your suggestion that the PGA Tour is going to completely revamp its schedule to help out a 43 year old Tiger Woods is laughable. The wrap around has been around for six or seven years now and like it or not, it doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:44 am 

Clearly talking about this season, Frank - first season with the revised major schedule. That's all Tiger really cares about.

Frank says Tiger needs to practice more. :lol:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Furious Styles wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Furious has been, well, a little furious lately.

SomeGuy bit, Mike. You know this right?

I have been in and out last couple weeks. Might have missed it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

Rory!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:33 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Probably should be in a 2020 thread but I'm too lazy to start a new one and this wraparound season is goofy. Nice 59 yesterday for Kevin Chappell. I had him pegged as a rising star a few years ago and didn't realize he had missed all of last year with a back surgery. Hope he continues to play well he plays an exciting brand of golf.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:22 am 
100000 CLUB

I guess the Solheim Cup was this weekend. Does anybody even care?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:35 am 

I don't.

The Greenbrier was this weekend too. I didn't know they moved it on the schedule.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:41 am 
100000 CLUB

The wraparound schedule is strange. I like that there is golf on in the winter when the weather here sucks, but Greenbrier and the Shell Houston Open in the fall like this just doesn't make any sense to me. I know it's all about $, but still.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:17 am 
100000 CLUB

Well this kinda sucks. I liked both guys on the CBS Broadcasts.
Quote:
Two mainstays of CBS Sports' golf broadcast team are not returning in 2020.

The contracts of Gary McCord and Peter Kostis have not been renewed for next season by the network. Golfweek's Geoff Shackelford and Sports Business Journal's John Ourand reported the news on Saturday, and CBS confirmed the move to Golf Digest in a statement.

"Gary and Peter have been an important part of our golf coverage for three decades," said a CBS spokesperson. "They were both outstanding teammates and we thank them for their significant contributions throughout the years. We wish them both all the best.”
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger- ... you-missed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
You've got to be shitting me. McCord was the only one with any kind of personality. What a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
That really sucks. Peter Kostis was great at breaking down the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

Oh my.
Quote:
When golf broadcasting iconoclast Gary McCord signed his last contract with CBS Sports two years ago, he says that Sean McManus, president of the network’s sports division, told him he could stay as long as he wanted.

“He said to me, ‘You’ve been here so long, when you want to go, you tell me.’ I don’t recall telling him that,” McCord said with notable wryness after news broke last week that his two-year option with the network was not picked up, ending his career of 30-plus years at CBS.

“This is not how I would have preferred to see it end,” McCord said. “I’m going on 72. I’ve been doing this for 30-odd years. I knew I was coming to the end of the deal, but I was going to go out on my terms. That’s not happening now.

“Bottom line, they fired me.”

“He [McManus] tells me, and he told Peter the same thing, that ‘We think CBS golf is getting a little stale, and we need to go in another direction,’ ” McCord told Golf Digest by phone from his home in Scottsdale. “I’ve been called a lot of things, but one thing I’ve never been called is stale.”

McCord said he doesn’t mind getting fired, “but when you tell me I’m really doing well, when you tell me, ‘Oh, you’re so good for our brand and helping our brand,’ when you tell me you love everything that I’ve done for the golf coverage over the years—and he [McManus] said I’m doing fantastic—and then in the next breath, you say you’re firing me? And I’m thinking, OK, why are they doing this? ”

McCord, a former PGA Tour player and winner of three PGA Tour Champions events, is smarting over the decision mostly because he didn’t have a chance to personally thank all his CBS teammates behind the scenes who have supported him through the years, people who have become like family. “You just don’t do something like this,” he said. “You shouldn’t do it this way. No chance to say thanks to the viewers, to all my CBS friends? That’s what you get for 35 years?”
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gary-m ... y-fired-me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am 
100000 CLUB

Davis Love III is joining CBS as a full time analyst.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Davis Love III is joining CBS as a full time analyst.

He seems rather vanilla.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
"There’s a fine line between familiarity and staleness," Kostis told Young. "What we’ve been hearing over and over from fans since this happened is, ‘You guys are the voices of my weekends watching golf and we’ve grown to love it.’ There’s a familiarity for the viewers with the CBS team. Having said that, I don’t think it was the announcers that were stale. I believe the production has suffered over the last few years. That’s all I’m going to say. I’ll just leave it at that."

Kostis also echoed McCord's sentiment that this was the furthest thing from a retirement, or a mutual parting of ways. They were each offered a chance to work both the Farmers Insurance Open and the Waste Management Phoenix Open as a send-off of sorts, and they both declined.

"I’m surprised Gary and I didn’t get the same loyalty other announcers have received who have worked for CBS for a long time," said Kostis. "That’s my biggest surprise in this whole thing. I wasn’t sure if I was going to work beyond this current television contract (2021), but it would have been nice to have a year to go out and say goodbye to fans, say goodbye to sponsors, friends we’ve met in different locations. I thought it was a little bit disrespectful.

"Basically I told them, I’m not retiring. You fired me," Kostis told Young of the offer.

As some have speculated, CBS is aiming to target a younger audience with a focus on gambling. So far, it's been confirmed that the network has hired Davis Love III, who is 55, and all signs point to Trevor Immelman and his older brother Mark Immelman becoming more prominent on the broadcast.

"It’s a question you’d have to ask Jay Monahan I guess but everything I’ve seen in interviews and read points to gambling playing a big role in this next round of (television) negotiations," Kostis said.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 am 
100000 CLUB

Crazy finish on the Champions tour! Maggert holes out from the fairway on the 3rd playoff hold to give McCarron the Scwhab Cub. Goosen would have won it had he won the playoff. He missed about a 4' birdie putt on the first playoff hole that would have given him the victory.