It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 2019 Masters
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:21 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
We will all need to live vicariously through Terry's Peeps this year. Hope it all works out for you down there! Enough people here have been if you have any last minute questions about the area or property. I will be tuning in on Saturday to watch the final round of this inaugural Women's Amateur Open there. I'll be interested to not only see the course but see how the women play it. Anyone thing there will be any sub-70 scoring out there? These ladies are pretty damn good. I suspect that this will be a very sought after amateur title and think it is cool they are starting this. Weather not looking the best down there this weekend so I hope it all works out. I know what that is like after the course closed at noon during our practice round last year. Really disappointing since it ended up being my last time there with my dad.

Post subject: Re: 2019 Masters
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I think it's cool that Augusta has another event, and I will probably catch some of it, but fuck Peeps for being so lucky :x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Would love to see my guy Rory get his career grand slam. As I said in the PGA thread, Kuchar has had a tremendous year so I would be surprised if he finished outside of the top 10-15. Watch for Kisner or Schauffle to make a little noise.

I get excited around this time of year, but the last three years I've been bummed about not going. I attended the Monday practice round three years ago today, and it was pretty much at the top of the list for best sporting even I've ever attended.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hootie Johnson better be careful Peeps doesnt try to start a competing tournament while he’s down there.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
badrogue17 wrote:
Hootie Johnson better be careful Peeps doesnt try to start a competing tournament while he’s down there.

Fred Ridley now, but :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:31 pm 

Watched the last 10 holes of the women’s event. Kinda cool. Those gals can really play. I had it recorded on the DVR and skipped to just watch the last group. I wasn’t willing to invest major time to watch the whole thing. Course looks to be in great shape as usual. Just hope the weather works out when the big boys take the tee.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 am 
100000 CLUB

Best week in golf starts today. Hoping that Peeps and his family have fun as the enter the hallowed grounds on Tuesday and that the weather holds out for him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Papa Peeps and his rowdy friends made it down yesterday. So far so good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 am 
100000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Awesome!
Tell them to get there as soon as the gates open, buy their merch, check it and ship it, then see the course in case storms close it later on. The merch tent opens at 7 (I think), and the course actually opens at 8.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 am 
100000 CLUB

Justin Thomas and Tiger Woods playing a practice round together.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Awesome!
Tell them to get there as soon as the gates open, buy their merch, check it and ship it, then see the course in case storms close it later on. The merch tent opens at 7 (I think), and the course actually opens at 8.

This. The year we went the weather got us kicked off the course before we ever made in to the shop. REGRETS, I have a few....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Nice article by Teddy Greenstein in the Trib:

On the eve of covering my first Masters 10 years ago, I asked the great Bob Verdi for advice.

“Don’t wear high heels,” Verdi shot back, referencing the deceptively hilly Augusta National.

“Do not run,” the 19-time Illinois Sportswriter of the Year warned. “Do not take your shirt off. Do not yell. Do not sprawl on the grass like you’re taking a nap. Don’t bring a beverage. Or plan a picnic.

“And don’t think of bringing in anything with batteries. No cellphones, iPods, radios, Walkmans. If you have a pacemaker, I don’t know what you would do with it.”

Proud to say I’ve violated only two of those rules. One time I began jogging to what’s called the flash area to grab quotes from a player who I feared was about to leave. Two paces in, I heard a voice: “Don’t run.”

I turned around to find … no one. It was as if God were reminding me.

Another time I exited the media center, called the Press Building, with an iced tea. An attendant shook his head. “Water only,” he said.

Augusta National loves its rules. There is no stricter one than the ban on cellphones. Patrons, as they’re called at the Masters, must leave them in their car. Even if spectators are willing to check their phones at the gate, they risk lifetime banishment. Seriously.

There’s a bank of pay phones near the giant scoreboard off the first fairway, and fans can place free calls anywhere in the U.S. But no one can remember anyone’s number anymore, so they get little activity.

There’s also an area to scribble “paper tweets” — scrawl out a message and share it online when you get home.

The no-cell rule probably has kept the digital-camera business afloat. Fans can snap pictures during practice rounds Monday-Wednesday. It also means spectators are cut off from the outside world. How blissful.

Rather than staring down at their phones, they look up at one another. They chit-chat, spreading rumors like: “I heard Tiger took an illegal drop on 15.”

And their instantaneous scoring updates come by judging the roars. Solid roar for a birdie. Extended rumble for an eagle. And when Louis Oosthuizen holed out on No. 2 for a double eagle in 2012, landing on the front edge and rolling perhaps 100 feet, the place went mad.

Media are permitted to use cellphones in the Press Building. Broadcaster and former tour player Charlie Rymer reportedly got clipped in 2011, prompting a walk of shame.

There’s no appeals process, no arbitration. The Masters, it has been said, is the world’s best-run dictatorship. Some players chafe at all the rules and some media members advance conspiracy theories that the chirping noises from the trees are artificial. But the vast, vast majority inside the gates would summarize the experience by borrowing a line from “The Lego Movie”: Everything is awesome.

1. The grounds are immaculate.

A stray sandwich wrapper (green to match the lush grass) is treated like a loose ball at the Final Four. Cigarette butts are as common as bullhorns. No matter the weather, the azaleas are in bloom.

2. Parking is free and close to the grounds.

Masters officials have purchased neighboring property for decades, spending tens of millions to construct more lots. One family has famously declined offers to sell and have their three-bedroom home, built in 1959, demolished.

3. A Masters badge is worth about 10-25 times the purchase price.

Practice-round tickets cost $75 and a one-day tournament ticket has a face value of $115. The asking price on StubHub for the least expensive Thursday badge was — holy Sergio — $3,000. And admission to Berckmans Place, Augusta National’s ultra-exclusive hospitality area featuring three perfectly conditioned replica greens (Nos. 7, 14 and 16), is priceless.

4. Concessions prices are from the Jimmy Carter era.

Sandwiches range from $1.50 for the signature, love-it-or-leave-it pimento cheese to $3 for the classic chicken. Last year a bottle of water fetched $1.50, and domestic beer was $4.

5. There’s no signage on the course.

If you want tacky, stop by the Hooters on Washington Road to buy John Daly’s autograph.

6. Patrons typically dress in golf shirts and sundresses.

Save the jeans for your steak dinner at nearby TBonz. And they behave with a level of dignity seen at few sporting events. As ESPN anchor Scott Van Pelt put it last week: “When guys hit a drive, no one screams ‘Baba Booey!’ or ‘Mashed potatoes!’ People know not to act foolish.”

7. The Golf Shop is a massive (64 registers, 385 mannequins), upscale emporium where offerings range from ball marks to dog collars to garden gnomes to cuff links to more than 200 varieties of hats.

Or as they’re called within the walls, headgear. Some fans spend $200-$300 for a late Monday afternoon secondhand ticket just for access to the shop. Purchases can be boxed and shipped next door at the massive UPS station.

8. The public restrooms are a trip.

Attendants mix humor with the oratory skills of an auctioneer: “Got a shaker open on the south end!” Other golf-y lines as reported in a HuffPost.com piece: “No mulligans allowed … keep your head down at all times … no waiting on the tee.”

9. Big Brother is alive and well in the Press Building.

When media members take a seat in the interview room, a microphone reads a chip in the reporter’s badge, allowing moderators to call on questioners by name. It’s both polite and a bit eerie.

10. Some 28 media members will be selected, via lottery, to play the course Monday with Sunday pins.

They will be given a caddie and a spot in the Champions Locker Room and asked not to arrive more than an hour before their tee time. They will be told: Take as many photos and videos as you like (with a camera), but we’d prefer you not put it on social media. Writers are informed over the weekend via an announcement board and typically, here’s how every conversation goes …

Reporter: “Honey, great news. I won the Masters lottery!”

Spouse: “So you’re saying you’re not coming home till Tuesday.”

Win the lottery, and you can’t apply again for seven more years. (In case you’re curious, I last played in 2010.)

— Bottom line, there is nowhere on the planet where anyone would rather be — spectators, media members, caddies and players. Especially players. Jason Day called it “spiritual.” The three other majors have fields of 156 players. The Masters is an invitational with a field that typically numbers 95-100.

Weather delays do not wreck this event. Nothing wrecks this event.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am 

A lot of people jumping on the Kuchar bandwagon this year. I'm going to go with Louis Oosthuizen as my pick this year. He always seems to play pretty well there and has a great all around game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
T-Bone wrote:
A lot of people jumping on the Kuchar bandwagon this year. I'm going to go with Louis Oosthuizen as my pick this year. He always seems to play pretty well there and has a great all around game.

What do you think about Justin Rose? I entered a contest and he was my pick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:57 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

What do you think about Justin Rose? I entered a contest and he was my pick.

Very solid choice, he has a couple runner up finishes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:20 am 

I'm thinking Rickie might get it done this time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I have been placing $1 bets on guys since the odds came out last November:

Tiger +850 & +1400
Tony Finau +2800
Jordan Spieth +1400
Ian Poulter +800
Dechambeau +1600, +3300
Langer +50000
Schwartzel +15000
Immelman +100000
JB Holmes +15000
Bradley +12500
John Rahm +1800
Phil +3300
Keopka +1800
Rose +1200
Johnson +1000
Oosthuizen +4000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
I have been placing $1 bets on guys since the odds came out last November:

Tiger +850 & +1400
Tony Finau +2800
Jordan Spieth +1400
Ian Poulter +800
Dechambeau +1600, +3300
Langer +50000
Schwartzel +15000
Immelman +100000
JB Holmes +15000
Bradley +12500
John Rahm +1800
Phil +3300
Keopka +1800
Rose +1200
Johnson +1000
Oosthuizen +4000

Agreeing with what T-bone said a coupla posts above; that's a great value right there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:29 am 
100000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
We will all need to live vicariously through Terry's Peeps this year. Hope it all works out for you down there!
Course closed due to lightening, scheduled to re-open 12:45pm. Hopefully that is indeed the case!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:30 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I was watching Masters on the Range online. Rain was pretty nasty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:10 am 
100000 CLUB

https://www.masters.com/en_US/players/p ... sAnnounced

Some notables;

Tiger, Jon Rahm, Haotong Li 10:04am
Rory, Rickie Fowler, Cameron Smith 10:15am
Zach Johnson, Ian Poulter, Matt Kuchar 12:05pm
Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Jason Day 12:38pm
Phil Mickelson, Justin Rose, Justin Thomas 12:49pm
Jordan Spieth, Paul Casey, Brooks Koepka 1pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:22 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
We will all need to live vicariously through Terry's Peeps this year. Hope it all works out for you down there!
Course closed due to lightening, scheduled to re-open 12:45pm. Hopefully that is indeed the case!

I hope they can get back out there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:39 pm 

Fucking rain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:04 pm 

That sucks, Peeps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
that is brutal, its pretty much SOL if weather doesnt cooperate right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

billypootons wrote:
that is brutal, its pretty much SOL if weather doesnt cooperate right?
Yup. Kind of a sucky deal the last couple years during practice rounds. So lucky and thankful it was 80 and sunny when I went in 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm 

Good news is he was on for a little while this morning and the weather looks to be clearing up so he'll have a couple hours on the course this afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 pm 

They opened the course back up at 12:45 and he stuck around til 6:30 so he got a good 6 hours in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Glad the weather held up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

Glad he got a few hours in! Hopefully he brings back something from the merch store for you and the kids.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next