It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Registration opened today for tickets to this event. Sign up if interested and they reveal the winners in October. Maybe next best thing to the Masters.

Last edited by T-Bone on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Thanks, registered. See you there ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Registered

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 am 

What's your favorite shitter in Whistler's Straights?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Registered

Thanks for the heads up, T-Bone. Forgot all about this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:38 am 

Douchebag wrote:
What's your favorite shitter in Whistler's Straights?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
No worse sporting event in the world to attend than a Ryder Cup. Unless you camp out in one specific spot all day you'll be lucky to see 3 shots taken the entire day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:16 pm 

shakes wrote:
No worse sporting event in the world to attend than a Ryder Cup. Unless you camp out in one specific spot all day you'll be lucky to see 3 shots taken the entire day.

I would only go for a practice round, and for me personally I would love to walk all 18 with my wife and show her the property. You are stating the same problems as any golf tournament in general. This course more than most you can't find one spot and see multiple holes. You would need to potentially find a spot, watch people come through, then move again a few more times. No worse event to attend might be a stretch. I think a final four might be a waste with 40k or whatever it is watching a basketball game in a football stadium. I know it's nostalgic to see the outdoor hockey games in baseball or football stadiums but to me that seems like a tough watch live.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 am 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

I would only go for a practice round, and for me personally I would love to walk all 18 with my wife and show her the property. You are stating the same problems as any golf tournament in general. This course more than most you can't find one spot and see multiple holes. You would need to potentially find a spot, watch people come through, then move again a few more times. No worse event to attend might be a stretch. I think a final four might be a waste with 40k or whatever it is watching a basketball game in a football stadium. I know it's nostalgic to see the outdoor hockey games in baseball or football stadiums but to me that seems like a tough watch live.

Agreed on all counts.
* I would go for no other reason than to walk the course.
* I have purposefully skipped outdoor hockey games; at my advanced age I have trouble seeing the football at soldier field so I figure no way will I be able to see the puck.
* I won't spend 40k on a car. No way will I spend big $$ on a 3 hour sporting event.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
shakes is an idiot. Other than the result, Sunday at Medinah in 2012 was the greatest sporting event I've attended. Up close with the best players in the world, able to see and hear everything, cheering/booing the updates on the manual scoreboards fist bump from MJ. It had it all.

Manage the crowd - don't let the crowd manage you.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I attended the 100th US Open at Pebble Beach in 2000. It was spectacular!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:06 am 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

But it is worse than any other golf tournament, much worse. Ryder Cup has a limited number of golfers on a limited number of holes compared to normal tour events. If there's only 4 foursomes on the course that means all those wandering fans are going to be concentrated on a few holes. Unlike a normal tour even there won't be random holes or spots where you can sneak up to the rope and get a close look at the action. At the RC every single hole is 10 deep with people on the rope. You can't see shit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:08 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
shakes is an idiot. Other than the result, Sunday at Medinah in 2012 was the greatest sporting event I've attended. Up close with the best players in the world, able to see and hear everything, cheering/booing the updates on the manual scoreboards fist bump from MJ. It had it all.

Everything? I doubt you saw 10 shots to completion all day. I was there on Sunday as well, maybe saw 3 shots all day and that included time spent in an elevated sponsor tent on 18 fairway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:30 am 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

But it is worse than any other golf tournament, much worse. Ryder Cup has a limited number of golfers on a limited number of holes compared to normal tour events. If there's only 4 foursomes on the course that means all those wandering fans are going to be concentrated on a few holes. Unlike a normal tour even there won't be random holes or spots where you can sneak up to the rope and get a close look at the action. At the RC every single hole is 10 deep with people on the rope. You can't see shit.

If there are 24 players there would be a minimum if 6 foursomes practicing and they may split into smaller groups. One of the stars of the show is the course and views. It’s cool if you don’t want to go. I agree about watching the matches. I’d like to see that on tv.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 am 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

If there are 24 players there would be a minimum if 6 foursomes practicing and they may split into smaller groups. One of the stars of the show is the course and views. It’s cool if you don’t want to go. I agree about watching the matches. I’d like to see that on tv.

I'm talking about matches, not practice rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:49 am 

shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Everything? I doubt you saw 10 shots to completion all day. I was there on Sunday as well, maybe saw 3 shots all day and that included time spent in an elevated sponsor tent on 18 fairway.

:lol: We had completely different experiences. Maybe it's all those festival shows I've attended. I just found a way. People come and go all the time - it honestly wasn't that hard to find a spot at whatever hole I was at. I don"t know what to tell you - I was like 6' 2" at the time. Maybe that's part of it.

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: Have you gotten that much taller or shorter over the last seven years?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:51 am 

Just wait, Frank

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

Got the chance to get into a virtual waiting room and buy tix for this. Will happen Oct 14th. Is it worth it to go? Anyone else getting tickets?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Got the chance to get into a virtual waiting room and buy tix for this. Will happen Oct 14th. Is it worth it to go? Anyone else getting tickets?

I got the same invite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:33 pm 

I did also. I was wondering if it's worth going to. Can't find any 1st person online reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm 

I must have gotten the same thing. So it’s not like the Masters and I am guaranteed tickets at this point? I didn’t look at the message very closely. I’d love to go to a practice round. Not that interested in going to the real matches.

Edit—planning on getting in virtual line to buy 4 practice round tickets. I really want to walk the property with my wife. Seeing some of the best players in the world and raiding the gift tents are a bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:21 pm 

I'm not counting on tickets. Everyone who.signed up for this got the email.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:17 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:

I’m not counting on it either. I’ll get in line and leave a window up on my screen while I work. If I get something, great, if not I’m ok with that, at least I tried.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:25 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Had a chance to play the Straits and the Irish course a couple of years ago. A challenge to walk. Hopefully everyone who wants tickets gets them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:04 am 
100000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
I’m not counting on it either. I’ll get in line and leave a window up on my screen while I work. If I get something, great, if not I’m ok with that, at least I tried.
Same. Hoping for Fri or Sat tickets. At least logistically this is a lot easier to get to than Augusta.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:40 am 

August Schell wrote:
Had a chance to play the Straits and the Irish course a couple of years ago. A challenge to walk. Hopefully everyone who wants tickets gets them.

Done the Straits twice. Not really worth the money if you are paying out of pocket during the summer season for it in my opinion. You can get out to the Straits for $300 at the end of this month before they shut down. Still too high for what would likely be rough temps. If you got a nice fall day it would be ok.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:19 am 

Good luck to all trying for tix today. Hoping for 4 practice round. Not sure how it will be set up when in there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:36 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Good luck to all trying for tix today. Hoping for 4 practice round. Not sure how it will be set up when in there.

I already have the window up, damn near forgot about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Looks like I will be going to this as a friend got tickets. It also looks like hotels are already sold out. Luckily, we can stay at my lakehouse, which is a reasonable distance away.

Not even a big golf fan....but I enjoy this event more than most.