It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Sure, but that's not what Koepka is talking about.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
If I could hit the ball as solid as Koepka I'd want to hear it too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Got out about two weeks ago and shot an 88 at Gleneagles Red. I thought that might be my last round of the year, and certainly figured it to be my last round in shorts and short sleeves. A few issues, two lost balls, but really one of the most solid rounds I have had this season. One of the lowest scores of the season as well. I would have been alright ending things on that note

Then came this week :D ....Friday 8:44am at Coyote Run

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I'm getting out on Saturday or Sunday even if I have to play solo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
They were predicting frost here for yesterday morning, so I worked instead and am playing Friday when it's expected to be 75 in the afternoon. I got a 1pm GolfNow hot deal at the first course I played back in June, so even if I'm paired with a twosome we should finish by the 5pm sunset.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:11 pm 

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:27 pm 

The good news is that I played at the course I played my first round after my layoff at back in June. The weather was gorgeous, I was hitting my irons reasonably well, and I had four bogeys on the easier back 9. And the pace was 3:30 for a threesome on a pretty full course, but we only had to wait to tee off a couple of times for 1-2 minutes.

The bad news was everything else about my game. I wasn't reading 15-30 putts at all and kept on 3-putting (although the guys I was paired with shot in the high 80s and had the same problem) and I was inconsistent off the tee.

I've started to settle in on a couple of courses to play monthly, this being one of them. I am hoping for two rounds a month for the four winter months of November through February.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:23 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Friday 8:44am at Coyote Run
I did not play very well last week. Consistently inconsistent. Two good holes, then a snowman and a double. One putt a green, then duff a chip and 3-putt. Was kind of all over the place until the final six holes which I played at +3. Ended up with 49-45 for the round. Course was still in really nice shape, and it was a perfect day to walk. 100% sunshine and just warm enough for short sleeves.

A nice bonus, somebody was hitting some extra brand new PROV1s, was blind, or just didn't care enough to pick them up because I grabbed about 5 of them that clearly were no longer being played.

Chilly today, but I might try to get out for 9 hole after lunch if things work out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
My course up here closed up shop today. That means tomorrow I am heading out in my orange sweatshirt, crappy jeans and waterproof boots and going ball hunting. I didn’t go last year and I’m looking forward to tramping through the woods with a backpack, headphones and ball retriever. Hoping to get 100 balls but we shall see. It’s a big piece of property so I’m going at 7 am and I’ll see how things are going by noon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:34 pm 

I thought about playing tomorrow as it's expected to be the last 70 degree day for the rest of 2020 down here, but I I am going to do range work instead because I can't handle the idea of a 5 hour round. The day before Thanksgiving is supposed to be 64 and Friday is supposed to be 68 so I will try to play both those days and hope for the best.

Then it's probably 9 holes at 2pm here and there in December unless I get an opportunity to drive down to Savannah and Charleston the week before Christmas or over New Year's and catch some 70 degree afternoons.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:39 am 

Ball hunt was pretty successful. I didn’t find that many walking the course but found two water holes that had hundreds of them within reach. I haven’t done a final count yet but I think I eclipsed 200balls. I’ll finish cleaning them today. After 5 hours I was exhausted and actually getting bored pulling in all the balls. The retriever worked great but it was a pain trying to get it to let the ball go on the shore. An assistant would have been nice when pulling balls in every 20 seconds. I knew it was time to quit when my arms started cramping up. Not sure it was worth it in the end but I’ll see how many keepers I get. I should easily get two or three dozen Pro V1s and enough other keepers between other brands to get me through the next couple spring seasons. I’ll try to report back with a final count even though no one really cares.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 am 

Nice score.

Quote:
I’ll try to report back with a final count even though no one really cares.

I care - especially when it comes to Chrome Soft and Project A ball counts. :wink:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 am 

79 Pro V1
80 others ( high end Callaway, TaylorMade, Vice, Bridgestone, Srixon Z Star, Kirkland, etc)
44 colored balls ( my buddy likes these -Titleist, Callaway, Volvik)
433 balls I will donate to the range - still a lot of good ones in here just balls I won’t play.

636 balls total. Tempting to go for more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm 

Do you sell the better used ones? Even I can't go through 150 balls in a season.

I'm working on my 2021 budget today and for golf I had $165/month for greens and range fees, and $25/month for balls, tees, gloves, and regripping clubs. Plus another $220 in August to play nicer courses in Atlantic Canada if the pandemic ends by then. So $2500 total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
T-Bone wrote:
79 Pro V1
80 others ( high end Callaway, TaylorMade, Vice, Bridgestone, Srixon Z Star, Kirkland, etc)
44 colored balls ( my buddy likes these -Titleist, Callaway, Volvik)
433 balls I will donate to the range - still a lot of good ones in here just balls I won’t play.

636 balls total. Tempting to go for more.

I've always said T-Bone has got a lot of balls.

Now my opinion has been formally validated!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Do you sell the better used ones? Even I can't go through 150 balls in a season.

I'm working on my 2021 budget today and for golf I had $165/month for greens and range fees, and $25/month for balls, tees, gloves, and regripping clubs. Plus another $220 in August to play nicer courses in Atlantic Canada if the pandemic ends by then. So $2500 total.

And then sell me the un-better used ones. Need them to make ball-marker flags for loopers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
I just can't strike the ball. But I went out there today for a few holes and had some fun chipping (it turned out to be pitching, really) and putting. I wish I hadn't stopped playing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

:lol: Nice haul, TBone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 pm 

Played 9 holes today with my daughter and her boyfriend. Par 4 to start the course. Hit 2 perfect shots and was on the green for the first time ever playing there. Last hole was another par 4 and hit 2 great shots to get on the green. Everything in between those 2 holes was a complete shit show and lost a ton of balls :lol: what a crazy game this is!?!?!?

T Bone you wanna send me some of those range balls? :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:42 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Do you sell the better used ones? Even I can't go through 150 balls in a season..

No I don’t sell them. I’ll keep and play the better balls and just give the others away. The pro will likely throw me a free round of golf to give away or a free cart to use or something. I get free range balls as part of my membership so it’s in my interest to make sure they have them to hit. Unfortunately I picked up a number of range balls from the pond. People seem to like to take them for water holes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:52 pm 

People who take balls from the range to use on water holes should be banned from the course.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:25 pm 

Franky T wrote:
People who take balls from the range to use on water holes should be banned from the course.

Well either that or lashed to the 100 yard marker on the range for an hour. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:45 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Well either that or lashed to the 100 yard marker on the range for an hour. :lol:

My buddy is an IPGA member. He doesn't play in events any more but when he did his brother would caddy for him now and then. His brother plays golf but not very seriously. The range balls at those events are usually better than the normal range ball so his brother would always squirrel a few away. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Took advantage of Callaway Pre owned Black Friday deal and ordered some Apex Pro 19’s with Steelfiber 95’s. Haven’t tried graphite iron shafts before but got a really good price for an 8 iron set, 4 through A wedge.

Coming from Apex Pro 16’s with Project X 6.0’s, the ball flight with the steel fibers is higher launch but they seem to be longer. Walked 9 yesterday and even with the cooler weather, I was still about 10 yards longer.

Also picked up a Stroke Lab 10 putter that I one putter 5 greens with. Hope that continues.

Playing 18 today and maybe 18 Sunday and that might be it. My club has sent out an email that they’re putting winter pins in next week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:09 pm 

Nice sticks. Steelfibers are pretty sweet.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:50 pm 

I got rounds in both Wednesday afternoon and today. Rounds were slow as would be expected, but the temperature down here was really good, 62 with no wind on Wednesday afternoon and 67 today.

Both rounds were at places I had played before. First one is a course I love but it's 2 hours away. $17 to ride for the last 18-hole tee time of the day. My driving was really good (for me), hit the majority of drives on the fairway. Played solo but with a foursome a few groups in front of me. I hit a few extra 8 irons because I was taking massive divots now and then way inside the ball - I was casting my hands back going for a longer swing - and I had time to kill. Scorecard said 103 but I probably rehit 5 iron shots along the round. But that is a really tough course, slope over 120 even off the senior tees. Most important, I was probably 5-6 shots better than my September round.

Today, I couldn't strike the ball. My lower back never got loose, and I was hitting everything thin and low. Pace was slow, the threesome I was in waited on every hole starting on 3. Fortunately my chipping and long range putting (15-25 paces) was really good and I shot a mulligan-free 106. The course isn't really a good fit for me, the senior tees are an afterthought and they have tons of fairway bunkers with narrow landing areas to combat people playing off the tips. Throw in that at $55 it was my most expensive round of the year and I won't be back.

The extended forecast down here looks like a lot of high 55 and low 34 for the next few weeks, but not a lot of rain. Any December or January round is a bonus, I haven't played any of the Durham or Raleigh courses because I'm avoiding slow play, so I'm hoping to get 9 weekday holes here and there at some of them as they empty out and the winds are low.

I far exceeded my expectations since picking the game back up this year, 19 rounds in five months. I'm starting to repeat courses so I'm able to manage the round better, and starting to focus on breaking 105 consistently off the senior tees (5600-5800 yards, 66.0/114) is feasible. And this is with virtually no range work in the last two months, as I haven't wanted to tee off of mats and the ranges are jammed on grass tees days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:23 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:58 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:25 am 

Missed the last 70 degree day a week ago because I was still sick. I ended up playing 9 at the par-3 mid-week with co-workers for what I thought might be the last round of the year. Cold out, about 48 but mercifully no wind. I was bundled up but felt very warm, and I could have played a regular 9 hole course with a cart solo and been fine.

They had moved the tee boxes up so almost everything was 75-115, and I only had seven clubs and no sand wedge or 8 iron. One par that should have been a birdie, mostly bogeys, couple of doubles when I misread sharp breaks.

It's supposed to be 55 here on Wednesday, and I don't have any meetings after 11, so I may try to get out and play a real course.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:11 am 
100000 CLUB

Nice to read about your game's improvement this year, Chet!

I may try and get out for 9 holes tomorrow or Wednesday. Supposed to be pretty decent by late December standards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next