It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoky Mountains
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Thinking of getting a family vacation planned this summer. Considering the Smoky Mountains for a variety of reasons. I visited the park for a week as a youth trailer camping with my family. Was very nice back then and has obviously become more commercial in 40 plus years. This will be a group of adults/adult children as big as 8-10+.

An awesome mountain chalet with many rooms and all the amenities and awesome views seems the easy choice. Can get tricking if you stay as long as a week. Maybe another thought is a group of smaller cabins centered around a general/pool area for gathering etc. Really open to ideas if anyone has been in recent years.

As far as the exact area it seems to me anywhere between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg works as long as not actually in town. Gatlinburg being closer to the National Park I think?

Post subject: Re: Smoky Mountains
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
we were going to take a spin through there on a family drive to florida about 25 years ago. The line to get in was about 10 miles long. We turned around and skipped it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:22 pm 

As per tradition, I'll give you completely different advice you didn't ask for.

For a similarly long drive you can head up to Vermont and New Hampshire which was one of my favorite places I ever visited.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
For a similarly long drive you can head up to Vermont and New Hampshire which was one of my favorite places I ever visited.

This.

I'd steer clear of Gatlingburg, which I would describe as hillbilly Vegas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Everybody politely nodding in agreement? Sounds like your personal hell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:58 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Stay as close to Gatlinburg as you can. The further north you are, the more of a pain it is to get to that area which is where most of the more interesting stuff is.

We went horseback riding last year with the kids. Takes about 90-120 minutes and it was a fun experience for the family.

Bring your own booze or you'll be hitting whiskey tastings and drinking cheap beer and wine coolers. But, hit a whiskey tasting. Worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:01 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Bring your own booze or you'll be hitting whiskey tastings and drinking cheap beer and wine coolers. But, hit a whiskey tasting. Worth it.

I thought the Whiskey tastings sucked. But yes, bring your own booze. You can buy beer and wine pretty much anywhere, but I think there was like 1 liquor store in the entire county.

I think there was a thread about this with Free Ajent a few years back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
We went in the spring a few years back, mid-march maybe. It was great - very quiet, traffic was low and we had easy access to the entire park. Plus the bears were starting to wake up at that time (still a little early) so there was at least a chance of observing them (we didn't see any that trip).

I have been to Vermont many times and can verify that it is awesome and much less traveled. The northern Adirondacks of New York are phenomenal as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:18 pm 

Gone

Last edited by Brick on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I appreciate that Rick but I have been to both many times. My previous position had me visit north of Boston.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:09 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Everybody politely nodding in agreement? Sounds like your personal hell.

Yeah I heard though that out of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge one is more like the Dells and one is more like Nashville/Austin. At any rate I would be in woods and streams and so on more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:10 pm 

Stay as close to Gatlinburg as you can. The further north you are, the more of a pain it is to get to that area which is where most of the more interesting stuff is.

We went horseback riding last year with the kids. Takes about 90-120 minutes and it was a fun experience for the family.

Thanks Doc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:13 pm 

Thanks Rick. My remaining kids are going to be 22 and 20 then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
pittmike wrote:

Thanks Doc.

We've been there twice. The first cabin was in fairly flat area and access was pretty easy. The second was much nicer up high in the hills and driving down those one-lane roads up and down at night with 100-foot drops right off the shoulder and no guardrails was white-knuckle time.

No wonder it is a dry county. Everyone in the county would be dead driving around there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
pittmike wrote:
Thinking of getting a family vacation planned this summer. Considering the Smoky Mountains for a variety of reasons. I visited the park for a week as a youth trailer camping with my family. Was very nice back then and has obviously become more commercial in 40 plus years. This will be a group of adults/adult children as big as 8-10+.

An awesome mountain chalet with many rooms and all the amenities and awesome views seems the easy choice. Can get tricking if you stay as long as a week. Maybe another thought is a group of smaller cabins centered around a general/pool area for gathering etc. Really open to ideas if anyone has been in recent years.

As far as the exact area it seems to me anywhere between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg works as long as not actually in town. Gatlinburg being closer to the National Park I think?

When you are on family vacations do you do like you do on this message board and go on random drunken rants and make everyone uncomfortable?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:55 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:

When you are on family vacations do you do like you do on this message board and go on random drunken rants and make everyone uncomfortable?

No I generally leave them sleeping at night and go on late night mafia hits like other polish hitmen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
cool. Have a good time!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:14 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

No I just pretend to be a real annoying person like you! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Pretty sure Bob isn't pretending.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
The in laws were talking yesterday about this exact sort of trip. Last week of July. Early celebration of my FIL's 80th. 4 couples and 6 kids(1,3,5,8,10,12). Talking about a big vrbo, lake, sites that we usually drive past on the way to florida.

I think taking over 4 small cabins at a resort would be less stressful.

I'd also rather do Michigan or northern Wisconsin.