It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
BigW72 wrote:
Slow start to this year, but I picked running back up in July. I have no idea how much, but I've definitely dropped some weight.

I've been using Hoka Cliftons for the last year and they're wonderful. Came time to replace my shoes and I bought another pair of Hoka Cliftons but also bought a pair of Brooks Ghost, which I used religiously before the Hokas. The Ghost 13's are awesome. Able to run 4 miles 3 days in a row. Feels good to be getting back.

I tried the Brooks Glycerine several years ago...they were way too heavy.

i was a long-time Clifton guy and I still wear them occasionally but they kept getting heavier and heavier and lost what I loved about them in the first place. I wear them on the trails now as long as the trails are dry and the footing is good. the Cliftons dont have a tone of traction on wet muddy surfaces but they have a ton of support.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I've been given three projects by my doctor, spaced three months apart:

2020 Q3: Start golfing, 10 rounds a quarter, mostly on Tuesdays. Check. I was worried about the effect on my shoulders and elbows, but it's been ok so far.

2020 Q4: Get my walking to a consistent level of 3 miles in an hour, Thu/Fri/Sun. I have several trails and paved walking paths near my home, so it's mostly uninterrupted by cars and minor grades. I need new walking shoes, the New Balance shoes I've bought over the years I'm just not happy with any more. I have an appointment at a specialty store on Monday. I'm an odd size (15E) and I have a strong pronation even with the Superfeet Green insoles designed to mitigate that. She made that the Q4 project as the weather down here is usually in the 60s for part of each day at that time of year so as long as it's not pouring rain I should be good to go and build the habit.

2021 Q1: Start being serious about strength and flexibility training the other three days a week (although I'm doing some research now). If we can get post-COVID, I have access to equipment at our development's community center, but at this point I'm assuming I'll have to make a small investment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:14 pm 

I got a fitting today. Had one of those scanner things that maps your feet up to above your ankles when you stand on the platform.

I found out some interesting stuff. My width has gone down a full notch but I still need more heel support, and I could see why certain shoe shapes cause me problems and why I had to wear a wide when I was 20-40 pounds heavier. My feet are shaped very differently (sort of like a woman's tits), one foot is shorter but and wider at the ball, the other is really a 15.5 so I need a 15 that's cut fuller since nobody makes 15.5s.

I ended up with a pair of Brooks Glycerin 18s, and a different style of Superfeet insole (Carbon) than I had when I was heavier and use in my everyday shoes (Green). A little over $200 all in, but I'm only going to wear them for exercise and only 9 miles a week tops, so I should get a full year out of them.

I was going to try them out tonight, but it's pouring rain here. So hopefully I will get out for a mile in them in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I've been given three projects by my doctor, spaced three months apart:

2020 Q3: Start golfing, 10 rounds a quarter, mostly on Tuesdays. Check. I was worried about the effect on my shoulders and elbows, but it's been ok so far.

2020 Q4: Get my walking to a consistent level of 3 miles in an hour, Thu/Fri/Sun. I have several trails and paved walking paths near my home, so it's mostly uninterrupted by cars and minor grades. I need new walking shoes, the New Balance shoes I've bought over the years I'm just not happy with any more. I have an appointment at a specialty store on Monday. I'm an odd size (15E) and I have a strong pronation even with the Superfeet Green insoles designed to mitigate that. She made that the Q4 project as the weather down here is usually in the 60s for part of each day at that time of year so as long as it's not pouring rain I should be good to go and build the habit.

2021 Q1: Start being serious about strength and flexibility training the other three days a week (although I'm doing some research now). If we can get post-COVID, I have access to equipment at our development's community center, but at this point I'm assuming I'll have to make a small investment.

Good luck, Chet. I myself need to get a personal trainer to help with some strength issues because I just can't trust myself to execute the right form. I'd be on the shelf in a hurry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
I always found cardio to be really boring. The 24 hour gym I go to has wi-fi so I watch my ipad when I'm on the bike or climber. I do 35 minutes cardio then about 40 on weights then 35 more cardio. There's a lot of good stuff on youtube or NFL Game Pass so the cardio goes by real quick. In the summer I add swimming to my workout and use a waterproof ipod that clips to my goggles. The main thing is staying in a routine and not stopping for a length of time because it can be tough to get back into it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:16 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I’m back at it with a goal of shedding some significant weight. Shooting for 25-35 lbs. put together a workout room in the basement so no excuses for not having what I need. Also would like to increase strength and flexibility. Only thing I wish I had was a treadmill but I don’t see that happening. Might need to develop some HIIT workouts. Golf season is here in 4 months.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz

I ended up with a pair of Brooks Glycerin 18s, and a different style of Superfeet insole (Carbon) than I had when I was heavier and use in my everyday shoes (Green). A little over $200 all in, but I'm only going to wear them for exercise and only 9 miles a week tops, so I should get a full year out of them.

Interesting. I have been wondering about getting my feet analyzed and hear their suggestions. How has it been going for you? I have a pair of Glycerin 17s and they are incredible. More comfortable than the Hoka Biondi.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Gourmet Pizza by Carlo
I'm back! I know I'm almost literally feast or famine with my commitments to excellence, but I've been pretty serious since August, and I'm currently down 30 from my high this year and a little over 50 from my all time high. I'm going for strength PR on Thursday, so I'm pretty excited about that. I still have a loooooong way to go, but I'm treating this as an early 2021 CTE instead of a late 2020 start. I'm in a pretty good mindset right now where gorging out doesn't even sound appealing, so hoping I can ride this for awhile before pulling my disappearing act.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:40 pm 

DAC wrote:

Interesting. I have been wondering about getting my feet analyzed and hear their suggestions. How has it been going for you? I have a pair of Glycerin 17s and they are incredible. More comfortable than the Hoka Biondi.

I really like them. They are dedicated for walking, and I can knock out a half hour and my feet feel great afterward. I ended up playing more golf in the last month than walking, but now that it's in the 50s down here in NC, I am ramping up the walking.

I thought the screening was a little bit of a gimmick, but it was useful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:43 pm 

Down three more pounds this week. Hit my PR Thursday with a 375 bench. On pace for many goals; just gotta keep it up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Down three more pounds this week. Hit my PR Thursday with a 375 bench. On pace for many goals; just gotta keep it up.

:salut:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Good for you guys. I'm on a 60 day thing. It's going to suck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I'm trying to hit my goal of 8000 miles for the year. I'm currently at 7864. It's going to be really close. I need to get in 16 miles tonight. They next two days are going to be pretty cold, but if I can get 16 each day that gives me five days to get 88 miles after taking Saturday off. Looks doable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:26 am 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:

What the hell. Are you serious? That's insane. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:27 am 

Missed a little over a week being sick. It's already up to 46 out before noon so I'm expecting to be able to get out for a walk again this afternoon. Goal is to walk for a half hour each day it gets over 55 and isn't raining or crazy windy.

I made a commitment to my wellness coach that I will work on using resistance bands for a half hour whenever I watch soccer on TV, starting this week. Of course, I forgot that most of the European leagues take the holidays off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 am 

tommy wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:

Ha, thanks! My muscles/joints didn't really seem to love how heavy I was going, so I've had to back off a bit since this post. The good news is my back and legs are nowhere near as far along my chest/triceps/shoulders, so I've been able to go "heavy" on those without a mutiny from my body. I really wanted to get 405 by my birthday (April), but now more hoping to get it at some point next year. Weight-wise since Thanksgiving it's been slowly but surely, 1-2 lbs a week. Looking to get back 2-3 a week after the new year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:48 am 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
tommy wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:

Ha, thanks! My muscles/joints didn't really seem to love how heavy I was going, so I've had to back off a bit since this post. The good news is my back and legs are nowhere near as far along my chest/triceps/shoulders, so I've been able to go "heavy" on those without a mutiny from my body. I really wanted to get 405 by my birthday (April), but now more hoping to get it at some point next year. Weight-wise since Thanksgiving it's been slowly but surely, 1-2 lbs a week. Looking to get back 2-3 a week after the new year.

That's really cool. Meanwhile, I am trying to do bodyweight sets....