It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
My goal has been 180 minutes per week of moderate to intense working out. Through the 1st week of February, I am going strong. Usually ride my stationary bike 3 times and run once per week. Once it gets warmer I will start outdoor rides. How say you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The Chicago Hustle (climb stairwell of Hancock building) is in a few weeks.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to die.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I tore up an ankle this past summer and and have been slacking since. Noticed just the other day that it wasn’t bothering me so much anymore so it might be time to start chipping away at the laziness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
For yet another year my wife and I have tried to develop a plan to eat better together. She has also joined the same gym as me. I’m hopeful we can push each other a bit as we’d both like to shed some weight as we inch towards the mid 40s. It aint getting any easier to lose and we just need to make a few whole sale changes that will pay off long term combined with more exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Trying to get under 200 for first time in nearly a decade. 8 lbs to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:48 pm 

Been riding the bike more lately instead of my normal 5 mile walks. 22+ miles today. Felt good. I have always wanted to do a century ride.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
This year has just been shit. My weight loss stalled hard at 23 pounds at the end of April, in part because no access to a treadmill and no lugging a 25# bag through airports twice a week. My doc doesn't want me walking outside on high pollen days because of the confounding between allergy bronchitis and COVID, although I overrule her to play golf or go to the driving range.

My monthly HOA assessment includes access to an indoor pool, outdoor pool, and fitness center, to none of which are currently open. It was ok in March, April, and May because I was busy with work and still losing fat. But I need to get going again. Fortunately the pollen is in a low point right now, so I have to start getting my ass out of bed at 5:30am and getting an hour of walking in if im not playing golf, even if it's just strolling for the first week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:31 pm 

DAC wrote:
Been riding the bike more lately instead of my normal 5 mile walks. 22+ miles today. Felt good. I have always wanted to do a century ride.

My max was 75 miles back in my 20s, when I was just fat and not ridiculously fat. There used to be a couple who planned rides in Wisconsin, usually five or six weekends a summer. They were special ed teachers, and they'd partner with Wisconsin high schools to rent the gym and locker rooms for the weekend, then have riders do indoor or outdoor camping.

Sadly, a few years after I stopped riding, the wife got hit by a speeding driver when they were out plotting a new ride, and died.

Being "totally at goal" for me would be to be able to ride 50 on a bike one day, then walk 18 holes on a flat muni/ county type course the next.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:57 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
DAC wrote:

My max was 75 miles back in my 20s, when I was just fat and not ridiculously fat. There used to be a couple who planned rides in Wisconsin, usually five or six weekends a summer. They were special ed teachers, and they'd partner with Wisconsin high schools to rent the gym and locker rooms for the weekend, then have riders do indoor or outdoor camping.

Sadly, a few years after I stopped riding, the wife got hit by a speeding driver when they were out plotting a new ride, and died.

Being "totally at goal" for me would be to be able to ride 50 on a bike one day, then walk 18 holes on a flat muni/ county type course the next.

That's an awful story about your wife. Sorry. I can definitely understand losing the desire to ride after that.

What I see as the hardest part to really ramping up my mileage is getting more comfortable on the bike. My back and neck get sore within an hour of riding and the padded riding shorts I wear are not great. Might look into getting a new seat. The Old Plank Trail is close and that is 40 miles so I would do 100 there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:23 pm 

DAC wrote:
DAC wrote:

That's an awful story about your wife. Sorry. I can definitely understand losing the desire to ride after that.

What I see as the hardest part to really ramping up my mileage is getting more comfortable on the bike. My back and neck get sore within an hour of riding and the padded riding shorts I wear are not great. Might look into getting a new seat. The Old Plank Trail is close and that is 40 miles so I would do 100 there.

No, not my wife, no woman id actually want to marry is that fucking stupid to actually let me. The wife of the organizer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Commitment to Excellence, you say?

RAIDERS!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
DAC wrote:

Had no idea, Chet. I know it is in the past, but I am so sorry this happened.

Edit: Ooooohhh. That still sucks, but I feel less awful, somehow.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Why I stay on trails as much as possible.

Way too many distracted drivers out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I rode up to the Skokie Lagoons and back yesterday.

I was heading back south and just below Willow Road this stud came cranking past me:

I don't get passed too often and I get a little wound up when it happens. I rode my balls off trying to keep up with him. We were flying through the woods. I actually hit 28 mph for a stretch which is hard to believe. And I wasn't gaining on him much. I finally caught him at Glenview Road. When we got the light he came out of there like a bat out of hell. We went really strong together until he got away from me a little bit at the Oakton Bridge. I chased him all the way to Devon. Of course he was riding a $5500 Scott Foil 10 and I was on my 30 year old Trek.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:19 am 

KICK HIS ASS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:20 am 

That's impressive, considering all the loose change weighing you down.

Those old Treks frames are heavy - are you running on MTB tires? My 20 year old GT gets the job done on pavement, but with an aluminum frame and city/slick tires.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Furious Styles wrote:
That's impressive, considering all the loose change weighing you down.

Those old Treks frames are heavy - are you running on MTB tires? My 20 year old GT gets the job done on pavement, but with an aluminum frame and city/slick tires.

I've been going so fast it's harder to see the change these days. I've been stuck at $3.46 for awhile. :lol: I've got a knobby mountain bike tire on the front and a slicker tire, though still fat, on the rear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:40 am 

All kidding aside, you're riding at an impressive pace.

I rode from my place to the Botanic Gardens and back about 10 years ago and I was really fit at the time. I probably averaged close to your speed.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
My lame-ass is getting 20,000 steps a day at this new job. I'm pretty much down to skin, bones, and whatever God made joints and stuff out of.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:21 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Why I stay on trails as much as possible.

Way too many distracted drivers out there.

How true this is. I wouldn't even ride if I didn't have long Forest Preserve trails. Getting to and from the trails from my house is easily the most dangerous part of my ride.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:18 am 

I need to get back into running. Once the shelter-in-place started I began to run again and completely overdid it burning myself out. Yesterday, I went for a 30 minute run and it was fantastic. Just enough to build up a sweat but no soreness or throbbing legs.
Going to resist the urge to add more and more distance which I always do. My goal is going to simply be to run a couple times per week.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
DAC wrote:
I need to get back into running. Once the shelter-in-place started I began to run again and completely overdid it burning myself out. Yesterday, I went for a 30 minute run and it was fantastic. Just enough to build up a sweat but no soreness or throbbing legs.
Going to resist the urge to add more and more distance which I always do. My goal is going to simply be to run a couple times per week.

Shoes matter when you are getting older. They're also expensive as hell too.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:08 am 

Nas wrote:
DAC wrote:

Shoes matter when you are getting older. They're also expensive as hell too.

I hear ya but shoes are definitely not the problem for me. I love high-end, max cushioning running shoes and they are one of the things I splurge on. I have been running in Brooks Glycerins which are easily the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. Just ordered a pair of Hoka Biondis which is their max cushioning shoe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:52 am 

Slow start to this year, but I picked running back up in July. I have no idea how much, but I've definitely dropped some weight.

I've been using Hoka Cliftons for the last year and they're wonderful. Came time to replace my shoes and I bought another pair of Hoka Cliftons but also bought a pair of Brooks Ghost, which I used religiously before the Hokas. The Ghost 13's are awesome. Able to run 4 miles 3 days in a row. Feels good to be getting back.

I tried the Brooks Glycerine several years ago...they were way too heavy.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:25 am 

How do Hokas run size-wise? Most shoes run about the same for me, except for Adidas which run 1/2 size smaller.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:34 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
How do Hokas run size-wise? Most shoes run about the same for me, except for Adidas which run 1/2 size smaller.

Hoka seems to match brooks and my other shoes....appears normal to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:50 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
]

I read in several places that the Hokas run small specifically in the width of the toes but my size is perfect.

After wearing the Biondis several times it is clear that the Glycerins are more comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Hokas are definitely on the narrow side. I wear extra-wide Hokas, and they're still not wide enough for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:23 pm 

I was against Hokas for a long time, as they looked really ridiculous. They've come a LONG way. They're incredibly comfortable and light. I like the Brooks Ghost, as well, but the Hokas are THE most comfortable running shoe out there. No contest.
IDK about width....mine feel great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
ive been a long-time proponent of Hokas, and early on they DEFINITELY ran narrow, but these days I wear them true to size with no issues. I just bought a pair of Rincons that are hands down the most comfortable, lightest running shoe I have ever owned. Love them. And they retain the stack height and support.