It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody ever rent an RV?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
We’ve never done it before and had really never even considered it until the curse of the COVID. Now it seems like a fun and reasonably safe way to enjoy a summer trip. Has anyone here re rented an RV? I know it’s not cheap but is it worth it? For those that own or have rented, where did you go or where would you recommend?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:01 am 

I thought this was going to be a whistler thread.

"u ever shit in a rv?"

Never rented one myself. I've heard demand is through the roof this summer though on purchases and rentals. It might even be too late to reserve a rental.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
You should bump an old "Ask Mac" thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:12 am 

Douchebag wrote:
I thought this was going to be a whistler thread.

"u ever shit in a rv?"

Never rented one myself. I've heard demand is through the roof this summer though on purchases and rentals. It might even be too late to reserve a rental.

I’d heard that so I did a quick search yesterday and found a place in Naperville with availability in July. $260 per day plus gas and mileage. Probably a bunch of fees as well. I just don’t know enough about it to commit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I always worried about having to drive one of those monstrous vehicles. Plus, these days, you’d probably pull up to a lot of places that aren’t open or have no inside dining. You’d need to map out your destinations carefully given all the closed businesses.

My county in Wisconsin is a massive Camper and RV destination. There are parks everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:31 am 

denisdman wrote:
I always worried about having to drive one of those monstrous vehicles. Plus, these days, you’d probably pull up to a lot of places that aren’t open or have no inside dining. You’d need to map out your destinations carefully given all the closed businesses.

My county in Wisconsin is a massive Camper and RV destination. There are parks everywhere.

I agree the driving part is a bit of a concern but I figure this is the type of road trip that you take your time and hopefully some lesser travelled roads so that could help alleviate the stress.

Has anybody done the trip around Lake Michigan (even in a car)? How long in days is that?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:32 am 

were really going to worry about virus forever arent we

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 am 

Been to Traverse City and Mackinaw. That will be quite a drive. I was never a fan of going up the relatively congested east side of Wisconsin. But it’s mostly open in Michigan.

If you drove through Wisconsin, you should make it a supper club tour. But that’s gets costly with the family. And just about everything is open in Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:40 am 

denisdman wrote:
Been to Traverse City and Mackinaw. That will be quite a drive. I was never a fan of going up the relatively congested east side of Wisconsin. But it’s mostly open in Michigan.

If you drove through Wisconsin, you should make it a supper club tour. But that’s gets costly with the family. And just about everything is open in Wisconsin.

We’re big fans of supper clubs and have hit them in pretty much every part of the state. Hitting those and breweries is definitely a fun trip :drunken:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Yes. Rented a 30ft Cruise America RV for a bachelor party long weekend to Kentucky Derby. It was definitely a blast even though somewhat expensive. But compared to hotels and driving during Derby weekend it was well worth it. This was 6-7 years ago when gas prices were much higher too.

I drove the whole way never having driven a vehicle that long before and had no issues. The passengers love it as they raged in back and were able to piss whenever. The sewer, electricity, water, AC, propane was all really easy to operate. The 30ft had ample room for 7 people.

In my yute (15-20 years ago) we had 3 family vacations to Yellowstone. The rental RVs were everywhere. National parks seem to the main destination for these suckers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:44 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
denisdman wrote:

We’re big fans of supper clubs and have hit them in pretty much every part of the state. Hitting those and breweries is definitely a fun trip :drunken:

For sure. Glad to hear you like that stuff. I just went to Central Waters brewing near Stevens Point and then hit Two Lakes Supper club. It’s about an hour from my place, but it was worth it.

Need to hit Wollersheim. Supposed to be a good winery and distillery.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:50 am 

denisdman wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
denisdman wrote:

For sure. Glad to hear you like that stuff. I just went to Central Waters brewing near Stevens Point and then hit Two Lakes Supper club. It’s about an hour from my place, but it was worth it.

Need to hit Wollersheim. Supposed to be a good winery and distillery.

My parents had a cabin not too far from Wollersheim. It’s amazing to see how big it’s become in the last decade. If you go, Green Acres is very close and a solid Supper club type restaurant...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:57 am 

Nice, glad I mentioned it. We will do that. Heading back up tomorrow. Doing Fathers Day with the kids today then going up in the morning. Supposed to get my waverunners this week. Then my son is coming up with a bunch of friends next weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
We’ve never done it before and had really never even considered it until the curse of the COVID. Now it seems like a fun and reasonably safe way to enjoy a summer trip. Has anyone here re rented an RV? I know it’s not cheap but is it worth it? For those that own or have rented, where did you go or where would you recommend?

yep, good luck getting one this summer. It'll be like trying to buy toiler paper back in April or trying to buy a low above ground pool right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Have rented from Cruise America a couple of times for college football tailgates. The only issue was that you can't return the RV on a Sunday; it can only be returned on a Monday. So they get you for another day's rental.

You are not going to be going 80mph an hour down the expressway and they do take a lot of gas. Other than that, it is cool that you can play cards and drink in the back while someone else is driving.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Pfffft, you can do that in any vehicle.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Pfffft, you can do that in any vehicle.

So you're the friendly stranger in the black sedan, you wanted me to hop inside your car. You said you had pictures, and candy, and you were a loveable man and you would take me to the WinStar.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:18 am 

pizza_Place: Casey's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I agree the driving part is a bit of a concern but I figure this is the type of road trip that you take your time and hopefully some lesser travelled roads so that could help alleviate the stress.

Has anybody done the trip around Lake Michigan (even in a car)? How long in days is that?

Lol, if you've driven any vehicle in your life you can manage an RV. Drive with caution, keep extra distance and use your mirrors and blinkers. Understand you're bigger then most things on the road (obviously) but it's not a big deal once you're behind the wheel for awhile and get a feel for it.

Different story if you're hauling a 35 ft. camper behind a truck, but even that is fairly simple. Backing is a different story. Find a line and stick to it, make minor adjustments. Use your mirrors, don't turn around and look out your rear view.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
The time to make the journey is completely dependent on your planning the trip- you can haul ass down the Interstates from Chicago to Mackinaw in under 8 hours. OR, a few hours over here to SW Michigan, then 4-5 up to Sleeping Bear Dunes for another night, then a couple hours to Mackinaw for another night, etc.

The trip across the UP from end to end is a WHOLE lot longer than getting up there- we did St. Ignace to Duluth in one day many years ago and felt it was too much, especially with little kids at the time, but that was how we planned it. Running the south edge around to Wisconsin is obviously shorter, but still begs a slow, stop-filled trip through a bunch of neat little towns.

From my understanding, everything north of Traverse City is nearly virus-free, and they have signs up saying "We aren't wearing masks, and YOU had better not be, either", according to a friend who visited there last weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Heading a little north of Traverse City today. Someplace called Burt Lake. Looks fantastic. Inlaws rented a vrbo on a lake for 14 of us.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Only elderly people rent RV's. Very elderly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Definitely want to do the Yellowstone area like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I rented one and went to Mount Rushmore. Kids loved it. Easy to drive on the highway, and the slow top speed is made up for by fewer bathroom stops for the kids. You can park overnight in any Walmart parking lot for free.

Nice to have a campground with showers so you don’t have to shower in the RV.

You’ll use more gas than you’d think—about 7 mpg.

Driving around towns/restaurants is a pain, so you kind of want to go somewhere where you can enjoy wherever you are camped—hiking, fishing, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:42 pm 

pizza_Place: grimaldis
K Effective wrote:
The time to make the journey is completely dependent on your planning the trip- you can haul ass down the Interstates from Chicago to Mackinaw in under 8 hours. OR, a few hours over here to SW Michigan, then 4-5 up to Sleeping Bear Dunes for another night, then a couple hours to Mackinaw for another night, etc.

The trip across the UP from end to end is a WHOLE lot longer than getting up there- we did St. Ignace to Duluth in one day many years ago and felt it was too much, especially with little kids at the time, but that was how we planned it. Running the south edge around to Wisconsin is obviously shorter, but still begs a slow, stop-filled trip through a bunch of neat little towns.

From my understanding, everything north of Traverse City is nearly virus-free, and they have signs up saying "We aren't wearing masks, and YOU had better not be, either", according to a friend who visited there last weekend.

Most Mackinaw island stores requires masks. Any business with the signs you mention are run by morons.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:52 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Heading a little north of Traverse City today. Someplace called Burt Lake. Looks fantastic. Inlaws rented a vrbo on a lake for 14 of us.

Sounds like a COVID party.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:06 pm 

Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Masks have been way more prevalent than no masks. Pretty sure it's a misdemeanor to be in a public building or setting without one. Even waiting in line for ice cream...we were driving by that.

Big lake. It's nearly 4x the size of Lake Geneva.

We may take the long way back, up and over and down through the Eagle River area. Maybe check out some properties in that neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:20 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Masks have been way more prevalent than no masks. Pretty sure it's a misdemeanor to be in a public building or setting without one. Even waiting in line for ice cream...we were driving by that.

We may take the long way back, up and over and down through the Eagle River area. Maybe check out some properties in that neck of the woods.

I hope none of the 14 people you are staying with are asymptomatic carriers. Keep your in-laws safe!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:53 pm 

Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Franky T wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I hope none of the 14 people you are staying with are asymptomatic carriers. Keep your in-laws safe!

Wouldn't that suck?!