It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:58 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Might dust off the clubs this weekend as the weather looks great. no expectations for great golf, just enjoy the weather out there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:21 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Might dust off the clubs this weekend as the weather looks great. no expectations for great golf, just enjoy the weather out there.

I love fall golf.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 am 

Got out and played with an old friend yesterday morning. Nice weather. Pretty rusty after not playing much the last few months. Short course, par70 but greens were ridiculously slick.
I hit the green a couple of times and the ball would roll right off the front. All greens slope back to front and some very severely. On nine we were both in front of the green in 2
on a par 5. My buddy chips it up and gets it to within 6 inches of the hole and it starts rolling back. It rolled 40 feet off the green. Anyway, 77 with 34 putts and 2 out of 7 scrambles.
Short game was very rusty. My wife is out of town next weekend so I think I will get out both days if the weather holds like it appears it might, then that will likely be it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I hit one of the best shots of my life yesterday at the Lombard course on Butterfield. Had 160 yds. to go on a par four, where I hit a 5 iron on the approach.

I put it about seven feet from the hole. There's noting more satisfying than hitting a good golf shot after you've been hooking all summer.

The conditions yesterday were excellent. Perfect temperature with a slight breeze.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Even though it is aerated right now, Village Links of Glen Ellyn is a nice track.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
After several brutal rounds in a row, I managed to shoot some decent holes Saturday afternoon. 49 for 10 holes (45 thru 9) with 2 pars, several bad shots, but more good shots than I had during my last two rounds combined. I didn't putt well, but after not having been out for 4-5 weeks I didn't expect much. Two of our final four holes we due west and the sun made seeing anything brutal. It was a nice to get out one last time and enjoy the round.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
After three weeks off the course due to a mix of things, I managed to get three rounds in today including a rare Saturday round. The scorecard was crap due to inconsistentcy but it was great to get out, and I felt really good after today's round. As long as the high is in the 60s, I can usually get out once a week at this time of year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:00 pm 

Weekends without golf suck. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:01 pm 

I haven't touched a club in a couple of months now and wish I wouldn't have hung it up so early. That being said, just curious if anyone is planning on upgrading any equipment, going on any golf
trips in the off season, or doing anything else related to the game. My hope is that by early March we will be able to get back out there again and start playing. I have been hitting the gym more but need to make it like 5x a week at least. I'd like to try to shed 25 lbs but that is a pretty lofty goal and the fact that I haven't made much progress in the past 2 months isn't very promising. I don't really have any golf vacations planned for the offseason. I'd like to make it to Mexico with my wife before golf comes back but if I make it, I won't be bringing my clubs or renting any. At this point my hope is to get my same golf membership next year but pay the extra amount and ride in a cart. I think this was finally the year that my body just broke down after walking 55 rounds. I've averaged 57 rounds a year walking for the past 7 years in a row so in the interest of prolonging my season and career I will do the cart and occasionally walk if someone is in the cart with me. I certainly enjoy walking but can save a lot of time and wear and tear. $1600 a year for unlimited golf with a cart and 65 rounds a year which is definitely doable would average out to under $25 a round. That is a pretty good deal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

I plan to order these over the winter;
Franky T wrote:
I went to a Sycamore based club manufacturer called Sub 70. I got fit for these bad boys https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-699-iron.html
99% of my bad shots are me and not the clubs, but still the irons I'm using are over 20 years old so I'm sure I will notice some improvement. No plans for trips or anything right now, but if its 40 and sunny and there isn't any snow around I'll golf year round. I would like to try and play more consistently next season even if its just 9 holes at times. This year I started out playing pretty often, then life got in the way and I think I only played 5 rounds after July 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:31 pm 

I've heard pretty good things about Sub70 but never hit any myself. There is an engineer at work I talk to and he got some this past off season. He has a hitting bay in his garage with a TrackMan style device in it. I plan on going to check it out at some point and see what that is like, probably try his Sub70s for fun. I have no intentions on buying or selling anything this offseason as I really like what I have in my bag. I think I just need to get in a better place physically. Hopefully I can increase strength and increase some flexibility.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:51 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I plan to order these over the winter;
Franky T wrote:
I went to a Sycamore based club manufacturer called Sub 70. I got fit for these bad boys https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-699-iron.html
99% of my bad shots are me and not the clubs, but still the irons I'm using are over 20 years old so I'm sure I will notice some improvement.

I like them. I think they have some player improvement irons as well. I bought the middle tier irons. I know the owner and he's a pretty good guy, buys drinks. Plus you get a cool hat thrown in the box. (seriously, I like their logo)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

Should I get fitted or just order online? I don't mind paying a little more, but I can't really justify spending $1500-2000 on clubs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Should I get fitted or just order online? I don't mind paying a little more, but I can't really justify spending $1500-2000 on clubs.

If I remember correctly there was no charge for the fitting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

Well that's about as sweet a deal as you can get.

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I'm planning on buying a couple of new wedges, probably a 52 and a 56, after the first of the year. I need the 56 to have more of a bladish grind/bounce for hitting into the very common Carolina uphill greens without chunking when the grass is wet or thin. Right now I use my chipping club (a Staff 8 blade) but it doesn't get enough height to be consistent and if I land the ball on the green from 35 yards it tends not to stop for a while.

I should have been playing today as it's 71 this afternoon but my new client asked me to do our call this afternoon instead of yesterday. I'm hoping to get out on Friday for a round, and then try to fit in 9 at the local par-3 on Monday to work on iron tee shots and get some walking in, as I only need to take my par-3 bag with 6-PW and putter.

No winter trips planned involving golf. Instead I plan on playing 9 at 2pm whenever the weather allows, which for me is 55 degrees or warmer without cart path only on every hole.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:06 am 

If I go golf ball hunting this season then Saturday will likely be the day. On the fence about it. I usually pick out about 700 balls total of which 10 dozen are good balls and never have to buy any for the season. I read an article about submerged and refurbished balls though and it sounds like the numbers in testing say the balls go about a club less than new. It's also a lot of work pulling them out and hauling them back to the car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:47 am 

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-golf-p ... l?amp;amp;

Frank, sub 70 is offering 20% pre owned irons. Might be worth looking at.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Recommendations on buying a used set of irons? North burbs preferable.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:02 pm 

I've seen a number of pics over the past few months but this is a nice write up of the new line of Mizuno irons. Looks like they are ready to order in February.

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-pro-221-223-and-225-irons/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:08 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Recommendations on buying a used set of irons? North burbs preferable.

Do you know what you want or are you looking to test some out and hit in a cage? Your best bet might be PGA Superstore and Golf Galaxy in Vernon Hills. The stores are right across the street from each other. Kind of a crapshoot what you might find. If you know exactly what you want there are a number of places to shop online. Another place to look is Play It Again sports. This time of year they probably have a fresh influx of clubs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

I took days off during Christmas week not figuring we would get temps in the goddam 60s in December. Anybody going to try and play a round in the coming days?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I took days off during Christmas week not figuring we would get temps in the goddam 60s in December. Anybody going to try and play a round in the coming days?

I may go to the park district course by me on Wednesday if I can make it work.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
it would be nice to get out one more time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Anybody looking to hit up chick Evans in Morton grove on Wednesday lmk. I commit to nothing and if a work thing comes up I’ll no show, but otherwise I may or may not be there.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:08 am 

Anybody listen to any good golf podcasts? I have never done podcasts before but kind of enjoying them while at the gym rather than recycling the same old music on Pandora I have heard 100 times. I have enjoyed The Fried Egg but not always up for architecture talk. I tried Barstool's Fore Play and it was awful. They had 3 meatheads in there and they barely even talked any golf on the 45 minutes I listened. I know there are a lot of options out there but just thought I would see if anyone could point me in the right direction and save me a little time. I like some PGA tour talk but also talking about places to play and some equipment chatter.

Last edited by T-Bone on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:13 am 

Colt Knost has one that is pretty popular.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:45 am 

Franky T wrote:
Colt Knost has one that is pretty popular.

I'll definitely check that one out. There are way more out there than I thought. I saw the Barstool one was #1 and tried it and just wasn't for me. It definitely sounded like 3 East Coast guys huddled around a bar talking about nothing and very little golf talk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:11 pm 

https://www.golfwrx.com/666134/golfwrx- ... ntent=main

Looks like the new Taylor Made driver..... I really don't like that they come up with something new every year. At least with most iron manufacturers it is every other year.
I still have my Callaway Rogue Sub Zero from 2018 and Taylor Made M5 from 2019 and those are both really old now. ha ha I am going to stick with those for a while. No
way I am dropping $500 on a driver these days.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I just ended up getting my son the Top Flite XR set. Last year I got him a nice Callaway driver so he's ready to go.

My wife just got me a Callaway Mavrik driver and Tommy Armour putter. I may actually go golfing this Spring :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next