It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
BigW72 wrote:
I just ended up getting my son the Top Flite XR set. Last year I got him a nice Callaway driver so he's ready to go.

My wife just got me a Callaway Mavrik driver and Tommy Armour putter. I may actually go golfing this Spring :lol:

Where did you end up finding the irons? I think the Mavrik is a good club. If there is one thing I know about buying drivers. If you really like one and can wait until the next years model comes out you are going to save yourself a couple hundred bucks. Either that or find a used one that someone couldn't hit and you can usually get those at a good price as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Not just irons....it's a Full Top Flite set with a bag. Got it from Golf Galaxy in Vernon HIlls. They only had ONE left handed set.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:04 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Not just irons....it's a Full Top Flite set with a bag. Got it from Golf Galaxy in Vernon HIlls. They only had ONE left handed set.

Lefty sets can be tough. Glad you found a set and bag.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:01 am 

Found a putter I have been secretly coveting for a while that a guy is trying to sell at what I consider a reasonable price that he had refurbished and finished in a manner that I would have probably done as well. Hoping that it is still available. I need a new putter like I need a hole in the head but this one would truly be the last one I buy :eye: ...... for a while

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Found a putter I have been secretly coveting for a while that a guy is trying to sell at what I consider a reasonable price that he had refurbished and finished in a manner that I would have probably done as well. Hoping that it is still available. I need a new putter like I need a hole in the head but this one would truly be the last one I buy :eye: ...... for a while

What did you find?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:31 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

What did you find?

I can't seem to post images anymore but it is a Scotty Cameron California Hollywood. I will leave link below. I have a California Del Mar and California Coronado already and really like the designs from back then. They only made them for a few years so they don't come up all the time. This guy had it refinished in a dull gray and the paint fill is in navy blue so it is unique and looks sharp. He had it priced to sell and I always wanted those three in my collection. Now I have 7 putters so I may need to start selling some of the Pings. I was going to buy a putting mat for my basement and just have them all leaned on the wall so I could goof around with them this winter.

https://www.scottycameron.com/archives/ ... hollywood/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:01 pm 

Went out to Marengo Ridge today. Shot a nice little 79 to (probably) end the year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:54 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Went out to Marengo Ridge today. Shot a nice little 79 to (probably) end the year.

Great way to wrap up. I have a supplier that wants me to meet up next week and do a virtual 18 but I haven’t touched a club in 3 months.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:44 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Great way to wrap up. I have a supplier that wants me to meet up next week and do a virtual 18 but I haven’t touched a club in 3 months.

I parred the first 7 holes. December (bonus) golf is kind of funny. Your relaxed, swing easy, and just out there to have fun. Wish that attitude could carry into summer golf.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Here is a question for you club guys. I have all Taylor Made product and am actually very happy with the improvement I have made with newer clubs of the last two years. Currently I have M2 irons and M4 driver/woods.

I hit the drivers at times not as far as I like but I am dead on straight where I aim. As the clubs get longer the shots vary more when using the woods. I know physically this makes sense and a lot of it is my swing issues.

My question for you guys is I am a strong 5' 10" tall. I always assumed I am average height wise but what is golf height average? Does it make sense to go somewhere to get measured and have them shortened if necessary while re-gripping or something? I have no interest in new clubs or changing shafts altogether this year. If you would where would you go? Golf Galaxy or Dick's? I would think a real pro shop would try to sell me up on shafts or something.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:10 am 

pittmike wrote:
Here is a question for you club guys. I have all Taylor Made product and am actually very happy with the improvement I have made with newer clubs of the last two years. Currently I have M2 irons and M4 driver/woods.

I hit the drivers at times not as far as I like but I am dead on straight where I aim. As the clubs get longer the shots vary more when using the woods. I know physically this makes sense and a lot of it is my swing issues.

My question for you guys is I am a strong 5' 10" tall. I always assumed I am average height wise but what is golf height average? Does it make sense to go somewhere to get measured and have them shortened if necessary while re-gripping or something? I have no interest in new clubs or changing shafts altogether this year. If you would where would you go? Golf Galaxy or Dick's? I would think a real pro shop would try to sell me up on shafts or something.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't. I'm the same height and the new irons I was fit for are actually a bit longer than stock. If/when you buy something new get fit for the club(s) then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:21 am 

pittmike wrote:

Thoughts?

Franky is probably correct. I would say 5'10 is probably pretty close to average height these days. So did you just buy your clubs off the shelf then and hit the ground running? I would say that maybe if you happen to take a lesson or something the teacher might be able to give you some insight into your equipment and any modifications that might help your game. In fact I think you can get that done at a PGA Superstore if you have one nearby. Just a thought. Sounds like you enjoy what you have and it has already paid some dividends.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Thanks Guys. Definitely happy with what I have and have budgeted this season elsewhere was far as any clubs. Just was looking to see if there was any fine tuning somewhere. Like PGA superstore I will find a place with the swing analysis besides measuring.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Glen Ellyn 9 hole course is open year round. Five bucks for a round, but the pins are in the fairway. Not a bad deal tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
There are a number of area courses that will stay open year round. Before my kid was born, I played a number of December and January rounds.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
There are a number of area courses that will stay open year round. Before my kid was born, I played a number of December and January rounds.

Just got back from there. Not a soul out there. Holed one out from about 40 yards. Hit the pin square and just dropped in to the hole. Of course if it didn't hit the pin it would have been 15-20 yards past the hole. Better to be lucky than good. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:22 am 

New putter finally arrived. Overall pretty happy with it. The weights in the bottom don't appear to be original but i know it was refinished so not a huge surprise. I know I will likely have a strong competition between this one and my favorite to get into the bag next season. Might buy some additional weights to try different feels and I need to replace the grip. Just not sure what kind of grip I will try to put on there. I am partial to the Super Stroke but I feel like I should do something a little different. No reason to have a couple putters that are almost essentially the same.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:06 am 

Local watering hole that has virtual golf is having a 9 hole one club tournament New Years Day. $25 gets you in and a Bloody Mary. Think I am going to give it a shot for the hell of it. Prizes for the Top 10 so what the heck....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:06 am 

We are headed to Nashville area Christmas Day, it is supposed to be 71. The next 2 days after that show, 67 and 69, Piglet and I will be on the golf course.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:41 am 

Franky T wrote:
Colt Knost has one that is pretty popular.

This one has been pretty good. It's called Subpar and I've listened to 2 of them and they have been pretty enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:36 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Colt Knost has one that is pretty popular.

This one has been pretty good. It's called Subpar and I've listened to 2 of them and they have been pretty enjoyable.

I just saw he will have an increased role on CBS' golf coverage this year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:38 am 
100000 CLUB

Agree, I like Knost.

Debating on doing the Eskimo Open at Cog Hill on Sunday morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Franky T wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I plan to order these over the winter;
Franky T wrote:
I went to a Sycamore based club manufacturer called Sub 70. I got fit for these bad boys https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-699-iron.html
99% of my bad shots are me and not the clubs, but still the irons I'm using are over 20 years old so I'm sure I will notice some improvement.

I like them. I think they have some player improvement irons as well. I bought the middle tier irons. I know the owner and he's a pretty good guy, buys drinks. Plus you get a cool hat thrown in the box. (seriously, I like their logo)

Spoke with Jason there last week. Seems like a good dude, no nonsense type guy. "I'll put you in clubs for your game. Giving you the same clubs as I would a 5 handicapper does no good for you or me or the company." Fitting scheduled for 11am on the 29th. Hopefully the weather cooperates for the drive to and from.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:20 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I plan to order these over the winter;
Franky T wrote:
I went to a Sycamore based club manufacturer called Sub 70. I got fit for these bad boys https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-699-iron.html
99% of my bad shots are me and not the clubs, but still the irons I'm using are over 20 years old so I'm sure I will notice some improvement.

I like them. I think they have some player improvement irons as well. I bought the middle tier irons. I know the owner and he's a pretty good guy, buys drinks. Plus you get a cool hat thrown in the box. (seriously, I like their logo)

Spoke with Jason there last week. Seems like a good dude, no nonsense type guy. "I'll put you in clubs for your game. Giving you the same clubs as I would a 5 handicapper does no good for you or me or the company." Fitting scheduled for 11am on the 29th. Hopefully the weather cooperates for the drive to and from.

Good luck! Jason is a good guy and a straight shooter. He won't try to upsell you on anything you don't need.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

For sure that is the vibe I got from our phone call. He even went so far as to say he would fit me proper and if decided to take all of that info and buy clubs elsewhere, so be it. I'm very green when it comes to all of the equipment jargon and materials and whatnot. Furious told be to beware of somebody who is looking to sell me a stock set or a shaft upgrade because they have something laying around or make commission on it. This certainly does not appear to be the case at Sub70.

After 10+ years of using hand me down clubs, I'm looking forward to having proper clubs for me. Hopefully it translates to better shots, and then better scores.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:30 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
For sure that is the vibe I got from our phone call. He even went so far as to say he would fit me proper and if decided to take all of that info and buy clubs elsewhere, so be it. I'm very green when it comes to all of the equipment jargon and materials and whatnot. Furious told be to beware of somebody who is looking to sell me a stock set or a shaft upgrade because they have something laying around or make commission on it. This certainly does not appear to be the case at Sub70.

After 10+ years of using hand me down clubs, I'm looking forward to having proper clubs for me. Hopefully it translates to better shots, and then better scores.

I went to one of the big club fitting places for my last irons. Jason looked at them and asked, "why did they put you in these shafts? They are completely wrong for you". I told him I had the feeling they were upselling me and he smiled and said that's what they do. He went on to explain that 10 years ago club manufacturers used to put cheap shafts in their clubs but those days are long over and stock shafts are now appropriate for 90% of golfers.

One more thing, don't expect to be walking into some fancy place. It's basically a warehouse - which suits their style.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:13 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

How did it go Frank?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

A truly wonderful experience. It was like a lesson and fitting rolled into one. Jason didn't need to do a ton of measurements or whatever, but made my grip stronger, adjusted my stance, and my shots improved almost immediately. I went from carrying my old 9 iron 130 but way left, to hitting a 'new' 6 iron straight down the middle at 120 yards with just a half swing. Gave me the super player improvement 799s, and will make a hybrid 3/4 that is a touch shorter with a bit more loft. Standard grips, standard lie, standard length.

I was honest and said I was 95-100+ a lot last year and I would like to be more like 85-89. With a 3 year old, the time I have for the game I play a round rather than practice which I know may not help my score but thats where I'm at. He has kids as well and says he even though he used to give lessons and played in college, when he has free time he plays as well. So he understood where I was coming from. After watching me hit dozen balls or so, he told me was no need to get more expensive clubs or upgraded shafts or anything. The game improvement irons would be fine for me, as well as working on the couple swing tweaks he gave me. Gave me hat as well, and I agree Franky- its a nice logo.

No pressure, no real sales tactics. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:15 pm 

No excuses now! :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I think getting fitted is a great idea. I'd add in the putter as well when you have a chance. I've been to Club Champion and fitted in the past. It's a fun experience. Just knowing how far you really hit the ball and your trackman numbers can help as you move onward and buy clubs on your own. The SAM putter fitting was great in that I never knew I was hitting all my putts off the heel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next