It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Any fitness related NY's Resolutions? Here are mine:
1) Average 10,000 steps per day. I have really grown to enjoy going for long walks (5+ miles) on forest preserve trails while I listen to podcasts. It is great to be outside and watch the changing seasons so this one won't be too hard. Due to work, some days I will not get my steps but I will make up for it on the weekends. Today, I had over 15,000 steps.
2) Alternate between 100 pushups, 25 pullups, and core work each day. I have never liked lifting weights but we all know strength workouts are important as we get older. These are relatively simple exercises that I can do anywhere.
3) Drink less. :lol:

How say you?

Last edited by DAC on Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I wouldn't exactly call it a resolution because I'm not sure I can do it. I rode 8035 miles in 2020. I guess I have a loose goal of going more than that in 2021. It averages out to 22 miles a day. It's important to not get too far behind during winter. So far the weather has been pretty cooperative.

I've only dropped the bike on ice one time and it was my own fault because I saw it and stupidly thought I could get over it. Though yesterday I almost had a bad accident with a blue-eyed hound dog named Sully whose owner dropped his leash. Not only did I stop quick enough not to hit him, but I was able to calm Sully with my voice and help him avoid being hit by a car until the old guy who was walking him could grab his leash.

Anyway, I've got 196.4 miles in already this year. So far, so good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
It has been hard to make a commitment over the last 4+ years, as my current job has me on the road every week, with one-way trips up to 4-5 hours at irregular hours, so it's tough to get into a groove; however, I got to the point that I had to get back onto some kind of program. I jumped back onto My Fitness Pal and locked into a daily eating routine, allowing for Saturday to be a cheat day. Just from last Sunday to today, I have dropped six pounds, and will slowly start to kick in some kind of exercise regimen. Once the market for bikes stops being ridiculous, I will pick one up, and ride as much as I can when I am home. Wanna get down from my current 235 to 215, and hopefully stay around that going forward.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
No resolutions. A few interim goals. I will set more concrete goals after I see my cardiologist in February for a check-up.

But in general, I try to devote time each day to something, and increase endurance/duration. So every time I go walk, outside, which isn't as much as I'd like in this weather, I add a tenth of a mile. It's only 120 more steps out and 120 back. But if I walk outside 70 days this year, which seems like a fair target, that would be adding seven miles on the last walk.

I'm doing the same thing with the resistance bands set I bought in the fall but really didn't start using until after Christmas. Just add a little more each day that I use them, but I'm not in a good routine yet.

The other area where I am adding more discipline is when I eat. I've been experimenting since eating poorly over Christmas and have since locked into a schedule of not eating between 1-6pm and after 10pm for as many days in a row as possible. I'm not trying to lose weight quickly just two pounds a month, this is more about managing my glycemic load in retirement. Between 7-1 and 6-10 I eat what I want when I am hungry. I had managed not to gain weight during covid, but I had not lost weight either. My last streak was 5 days, I'm currently on day 2 of what I want to be a 6 day streak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
No specific goals. I have wanted to shed significant weight over the past 5 years and not made the necessary changes. I made some solid progress this past fall with all the walking I was doing on the golf course and with my wife but by Halloween I was going on the wrong direction again. I have a better than average home gym in the basement but I need to utilize it more. I don’t have a treadmill but try to walk as much as I can this time of year. Comes down to less eating and less drinking. I put an app on the phone this week to help me stay on track with intermittent fasting. I’m currently at 260 and just am going to make 5 lb incremental goals rather than saying I need to get to 230 or bust. That thinking has set me up for failure time and again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:54 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I’m currently at 260 and just am going to make 5 lb incremental goals rather than saying I need to get to 230 or bust. That thinking has set me up for failure time and again.

The goal my doctor and I set was at least two and no more than four pounds per month, 35 to lose set up to take all of 2021. She wants me to adjust to being more and more retired and not having the long commute and 30+ business trips a year that I had before. If I'm losing faster than four, I have to eat more cholesterol-friendly protein and non-starchy vegetables, and add a little ice cream.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:25 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
I’m currently at 260 and just am going to make 5 lb incremental goals rather than saying I need to get to 230 or bust. That thinking has set me up for failure time and again.

The goal my doctor and I set was at least two and no more than four pounds per month, 35 to lose set up to take all of 2021. She wants me to adjust to being more and more retired and not having the long commute and 30+ business trips a year that I had before. If I'm losing faster than four, I have to eat more cholesterol-friendly protein and non-starchy vegetables, and add a little ice cream.

Uh... ice cream? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Sure, in small quantities. I want to have a balance, it is easier to maintain. One Klondike bar or one scoop of a good ice cream out once every week or two isn't going to kill me, especially if I have already lost a couple of pounds that week.

Unless I go to Jeni's and have to take a piss and whistler's post visit shit stench knocks me over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I haven't been on the bike in a while. Lacking motivation to get back on again, but it must happen. Need to drop ~15lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
I haven't been on the bike in a while. Lacking motivation to get back on again, but it must happen. Need to drop ~15lbs.

no longer doug league?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:51 am 

I hooked up Disney + in my gym area last night. I'd like to get down there and watch the cartoon Star Wars series while I work out. I think it may help give me some motivation to get down there and stay down for a longer period of time. I've always wanted to check those out and help educate me on some of the Star Wars canon but never wanted to spend the time to plow through them. Could be a win/win for me. Last night I was watching that documentary style series showing behind the scenes of the Mandalorian.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:46 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I'm trying to rebound from a horrible year for me from a health perspective. I have resumed cardio and weight workouts; hopefully, I'll be able to stick to them and see some positive results.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
The lack of legitimate races to train for in the fall and winter caused me to ease up on my running a bit between October and the holidays, a time where I am usually logging big miles in preparation for winter races. I had a small, local 50k in mid-October that I blew up during while I was going for a 50k PR, and as a result I decided to go easy the rest of the year and I just did low maintenance miles. Unfortunately, without running 40-50 miles per week, all of the holiday eating and beer drinking has caught up with me and I legitimately have to get rid of about 15 extra pounds now. January 1st I started training again in preparation for some late spring/early summer racing. I have a long way to go, and my legs are sore as hell, but at least I am clawing my way back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
A Snap Fitness down the street closed and I was able to buy one of their eliptical machines. I've been good at using it 4 days a week while we suffer through winter. I hate running outside when it's under 40. I should be good to resume the outdoor running come spring.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
IMO outdoor running this winter has been great. Little snow/ice, little wind, no polar vortex.

And I may be fine if I never do a race again. So far I am good with just trying to get in 50 miles each week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
a genius wrote:
IMO outdoor running this winter has been great. Little snow/ice, little wind, no polar vortex.

And I may be fine if I never do a race again. So far I am good with just trying to get in 50 miles each week.

i kind of feel the same way about racing, mainly because my local trail running group has been having frequent under-the-radar homegrown events for months, that are pennies on the dollar cheaper than what conventional races have bloomed into cost-wise. I do have a couple actual race events I want to check off my list of things to do once restrictions are lifted (if ever), but my desire to spend $100+ dollars on race entry fees has waned, especially when i can plan a similar event for myself and a couple friends wherever I want with no entry fee. I do enjoy the social aspect of larger races and having fully loaded aid stations is a great advantage, but I see myself doing a lot more small-scale no-frills adventures going forward.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I think some refer to those unsupported impromptus as 'fat-asses.' Like a fat-ass 50k.

I call my wife's Rav4 the food truck because she has the back of it loaded with snacks, water and gatorade. Can run a trail loop in the nearby forest preserve which takes me about 75 minutes, stop off at the food truck to refuel and then back out for another loop. One could do that all day if one was so inclined.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Sure, in small quantities. I want to have a balance, it is easier to maintain. One Klondike bar or one scoop of a good ice cream out once every week or two isn't going to kill me, especially if I have already lost a couple of pounds that week.

Unless I go to Jeni's and have to take a piss and whistler's post visit shit stench knocks me over.

(Breyers) Carb Smart Ice Cream is actually pretty good. Add some berries and you'd never know the difference. They have fudgesicles as well.

If you're watching carbs I'd also suggest Aunt Millies "Live Carb Smart" bread. Just 1 net carb and it toasts up and tastes just like normal bread. Carb-Nada noodles for pasta or as a side is also worth exploring. These items are much better than the low carb offerings of even just a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:53 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

(Breyers) Carb Smart Ice Cream is actually pretty good. Add some berries and you'd never know the difference. They have fudgesicles as well.

If you're watching carbs I'd also suggest Aunt Millies "Live Carb Smart" bread. Just 1 net carb and it toasts up and tastes just like normal bread. Carb-Nada noodles for pasta or as a side is also worth exploring. These items are much better than the low carb offerings of even just a few years ago.

I don't go super low carb, but I try to stay around 150-175g five or six days a week (half between 7-1p and half between 6-10p) and not worry about the other one or two. Trying to build my stamina up to go more like eight or nine low, one "regular." My bigger goal is to lose the weight steadily as that improves everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:53 am 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
I lifted 5-6 days/week and ran 20+ miles/week for 20 years. Was in excellent shape, and ate basically whatever I wanted. Never hovered outside of 170-175 into my early 30s. Then I got married, had a bunch of kids, and fell into bad habits. Slowly stopped exercising, was eating more, drinking more, and have been in the 220-230 range most of the past five years. Would lose a bunch, then gain it right back. I used to be able to rip off an eight mile run like it was nothing. Recently, a brisk mile has been a struggle. Pathetic.

I started a 30 day water fast on 1/1 to reset my system and drop a lot of weight quickly. When I’m done, I’ll go back to my pre-kids workout routine, or at least a reasonable facsimile of it. The goal is 175 by Memorial Day. Down 27 lbs. already. Once you hit ketosis around day 3 or 4, you lose your hunger and actually gain energy. Not eating sucks, but the weight - fat - is melting off. I feel like I’m cheating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:16 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
30 day water fast

What?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:33 am 

Isn't water only past about 72 hours pretty dangerous for your body?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
24-72 hrs is typical I think. You need electrolytes and vitamins/minerals like potassium to function.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am 

Apparently my cold water dips and mild exercise routine weren't enough to counter the booze, bread and ice cream over the holidays. Blood sugar spiked and diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetus.

I have no interest in staying on metformin and insulin, just to maintain an unhealthy lifestyle.

A week ago I jumped head first into a Keto/Atkins diet. No wheat, no sugar, no rice, no booze. My body is like WTF?! My mind is definitely clearer.

I have started using the MyFitnessPal app again to keep track of everything I'm eating. It's a great app.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:47 am 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet wrote:
Apparently my cold water dips and mild exercise routine weren't enough to counter the booze, bread and ice cream over the holidays. Blood sugar spiked and diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetus.

I have no interest in staying on metformin and insulin, just to maintain an unhealthy lifestyle.

A week ago I jumped head first into a Keto/Atkins diet. No wheat, no sugar, no rice, no booze. My body is like WTF?! My mind is definitely clearer.

I have started using the MyFitnessPal app again to keep track of everything I'm eating. It's a great app.

Good luck with the health, issues GJ.

Like you, I am tracking my daily food consumption. I am also weighing myself on a daily basis and recording all of my workouts.

For me, this kind of comprehensive monitoring/documentation is the key to maintaining progress in the areas of weight loss and fitness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

GoldenJet wrote:

It looks like that app only gives credit for calories burned during cardio workouts. Is that right? Does it calculate calories burned for weight training?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I just committed to a most excellent pizza puff from the Jewels.

It's an Italian delicacy.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Is it an iltaco?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
Spaulding wrote:
24-72 hrs is typical I think. You need electrolytes and vitamins/minerals like potassium to function.

I do take electrolyte and vitamin supplements. And I drink green tea and raw apple cider vinegar. That's it, though. Day 18 and I feel fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:29 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

It looks like that app only gives credit for calories burned during cardio workouts. Is that right? Does it calculate calories burned for weight training?

The weight training estimates need to be massaged by you. Per my research, it's a difficult number to calculate.

I have added different strength exercises with approximate calorie burn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next