It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:19 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Thought I would toss this out there for the golf fans. I saw that the course is being set up at over 7800 yards which I find pretty interesting. Early reports are that the wind is not going to be much of a factor this week which is a big disappointment. I don't remember anything about this course and the tournament back in 2012 as I had just gotten divorced and was not in the best place in my life. Spieth playing well and looking for career Grand Slam. Crazy to think with a win he would get it before Rory. Anyway it is a Pete Dye and looks visually stunning but I suspect if the wind is not a factor that these guys could reach -12 or maybe even better. We shall see. Rory got to -13 in 2012 and won by 8.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:19 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Thought I would toss this out there for the golf fans. I saw that the course is being set up at over 7800 yards which I find pretty interesting. Early reports are that the wind is not going to be much of a factor this week which is a big disappointment. I don't remember anything about this course and the tournament back in 2012 as I had just gotten divorced and was not in the best place in my life. Spieth playing well and looking for career Grand Slam. Crazy to think with a win he would get it before Rory. Anyway it is a Pete Dye and looks visually stunning but I suspect if the wind is not a factor that these guys could reach -12 or maybe even better. We shall see. Rory got to -13 in 2012 and won by 8.

Listening to Jon Rahm now, he said on the back 9 yesterday, the lowest iron he hit into a Par 4 was a 5 iron. Was playing with Zach Johnson, he had to pull a headcover on every shot other than 1 Par 5 he got to hit an iron for his 3rd. That is ridiculously long, no way they play it that way all 4 days, they will move tee boxes.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:43 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Listening to Jon Rahm now, he said on the back 9 yesterday, the lowest iron he hit into a Par 4 was a 5 iron. Was playing with Zach Johnson, he had to pull a headcover on every shot other than 1 Par 5 he got to hit an iron for his 3rd. That is ridiculously long, no way they play it that way all 4 days, they will move tee boxes.

I hope you are right. Hey it is great they can stretch it but I wouldn't suspect they want to make it that difficult. Many of the green complexes will not be designed to accept shots from that far out. It eliminates 1/3 of the field and doesn't make for good TV.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:47 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I hope you are right. Hey it is great they can stretch it but I wouldn't suspect they want to make it that difficult. Many of the green complexes will not be designed to accept shots from that far out. It eliminates 1/3 of the field and doesn't make for good TV.

The PGA usually isn't about the carnage like the USGA is.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:49 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

The PGA usually isn't about the carnage like the USGA is.

Correct. Next month the US Open will set up to try to keep the guys closer to par with conditions that sometimes border on unfair.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I was at today's practice round. It was windy as hell out there. Course is beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:57 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
I was at today's practice round. It was windy as hell out there. Course is beautiful.

That had to be pretty awesome, very cool!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:53 am 

It was very cool, T-bone. Even the traffic wasn't bad.

Daly -1
Early leader

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:55 am 

Streaming Thomas, McIlroy and Brooks now. Brooks starts off with a double.

Very cool Matt!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:31 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Thats cool, Matt. Get any momentos?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Thats cool, Matt. Get any momentos?

Picked up a cap for the son. Prices weren't too bad. 60-70 for shirts. I'm too cheap to pay that so I'll wait until they go on sale. That merch tent was just printing money .

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:38 pm 

Zalatoris holing one from the fairway, the course looks fantastic. Looking forward to the next 3 days.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:50 pm 

Not sure if it's the TV/internet but the feed has a lot of stutters. Also noticed the crowd audio was drowning out the announcers (If it's Curtis Strange, I love it). Just had an approach shot and McDonough said " We don't know where it went". Where's the spotter?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
T-Bone wrote:

What's that Pete Dye course in Indiana that is 8100 yards?

Hawg Ass wrote:
Zalatoris holing one from the fairway, the course looks fantastic. Looking forward to the next 3 days.

My guy! He was fun to follow in the Masters.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Weather permitting, I am playing at one of the Robert Trent Jones courses in Muscle Shoals next month. Both of them are 7800 from the tips, rating is something ridiculous like 78/145. The senior tees are 6100, which is a solid 400 more than I typically play these days. I know enough to only play once, take my 120, and enjoy the day.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:14 am 

thomas wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

What's that Pete Dye course in Indiana that is 8100 yards?

Hawg Ass wrote:

My guy! He was fun to follow in the Masters.

Apparently the Pete Dye Course in French Lick can stretch over 8000. I thought Shakes had played there but can’t say for sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:04 am 

Didn’t get to watch much yesterday so hoping to catch some this afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:53 pm 

Much windier than predictions I heard.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:56 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Much windier than predictions I heard.

It is brutal out there right now, the cut has to move to +4 with the way this wind is blowing.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:08 pm 

Come to think of it, +5 may make it, there is a lot of golf left to be played today. That means there are a lot of bogeys and others to be made too. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

Lefty!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:05 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Lefty!

Old people = ratings.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:07 pm 

I'm not the greatest golf game strategist but why aren't more players looking at this like an open course and go down a club and bounce and roll it to the cup when necessary?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

Ego?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:39 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Young golfers thought Tin Cup was a documentary.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:57 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
I'm not the greatest golf game strategist but why aren't more players looking at this like an open course and go down a club and bounce and roll it to the cup when necessary?

Because of the overseeded rye grass is very sticky and the ball won't always bounce like you think it does. Because this is in May they have to overseed just in case the regular grass doesn't come in full.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:00 pm 

Gotcha. Thanks. Didn't consider the grass type.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:00 am 

Van Rooyen with a meltdown on 17. He’s lucky as hell his club head didn’t break off when he hit the tee marker while swinging at fans. It’s a douchey look to be sure but this course looks maddening. Much like when I played Whistling Straits. Pretty to look at but not much fun to play.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
This would make an amazing US Open setup. Imagine them making the course even harder so that -1 comes in second...

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

As far as the top 7-8 go, Im good with any not named Brooks.