It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:19 pm 

Chicago Botanic Garden to charge ‘per person’ admission beginning in 2022

Why cant any public good be enjoyed by the public for free. We are pricing out regular people who want to enjoy such things as the Botanic Gardens. The funny thing is the CEO didn't say there changing the price structure because there running a deficit but because the demand was high during the pandemic so they need to create a surge price model. I think its not a good idea to price out middle class folks by charging $25+/person($100 for family of 4) for something that was/is free in previous years.

Ticket prices will range from $9.95 to $25.95 per person, and the parking fee will drop to $8.

Quote:
The 385 acres of gardens in Glencoe boast millions of plants and flowers and host over 1 million visitors each year.

In the past decade, the Botanic Garden has seen a 43% increase in attendance.

“Nature is in demand,” said Jean M. Franczyk, the garden’s president and CEO. “Updating our admission structure will help us maintain the garden and meet that growing demand, while providing significant accessibility to the garden.”

Ticket prices will range from $9.95 to $25.95 per person. Admission fees will be discounted when purchased in advance and will not exceed $23.95 for a Cook County resident adult ticket in 2022, or $25.95 for a non-Cook County resident. The garden is projected to earn about $2 million annually through admission fees based on economic modeling, according to Franczyk.

The parking fee, implemented in 1982, will be reduced in 2022 from $20-$30 per car to $8. Garden members will continue to have free parking. The Garden will also be offering 52 free admission days per year that will align with major Chicago-area museums. Seasonal experiences like the Grand Tram Tour, Butterflies & Blooms and the Model Railroad Garden: Landmarks of America will still be available at no extra cost.

Many Chicagoans took to Twitter and Facebook to express their feelings about the change.
“No thanks. I’ll go to the nature preserve instead,” said Heather Leigh in response to WGN TV’s Facebook post about the new admission fee.

Another commenter, Alex Sasha, on the same post said, “You can look at weeds in your own yard. For free.”

“This makes me sad as I often used the Garden as a biking destination where I would bike there simply to have lunch and then turn back around and head home,” said Lynn Prindes in the comments to the Chicago Tribune’s Facebook post.

A supporter Michael Polydoris commented on the Tribune’s post about the garden’s admission fee. “It’s an amazing place and worth it.”"

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/6/28/ ... nning-2022

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I don't object to admission in and of itself -- I mean, the parking fee was a de facto admission fee for the majority of visitors. What I find galling is the notion of surge pricing for a garden. What, so you jack up the price because it's sunny out? Is Friday the 16th part of the "platinum package" like a Cardinals game at Wrigley? Give me a break.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:00 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't object to admission in and of itself -- I mean, the parking fee was a de facto admission fee for the majority of visitors.

A lot people just walk from the bike trail less than a mile away and don't pay for parking. But charging $25 for parking for a family of 4 is reasonable but raising the price for family of 4 to $25/person + $8 parking = $108 to walk around in a nature preserve is kind of ridiculous for a middle class family coming from Chicago or the surrounding suburbs.

This like Chicago hypothetically to start to charge an admission fee for Millennium Park/Maggie Daley Park because its so popular with tourist.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:02 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, that's way too much and I hope they think better of it. It shouldn't be above $10 or $25 for a family of four.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It's gonna fuck up my bike ride.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
The Morton Arboretum is also a huge scam. Forest preserves are free and full of trees dummies!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:02 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The Staten Island Ferry is free. I always found that odd given that everything in NYC is expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:04 pm 

polster wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't object to admission in and of itself -- I mean, the parking fee was a de facto admission fee for the majority of visitors.

A lot people just walk from the bike trail less than a mile away and don't pay for parking. But charging $25 for parking for a family of 4 is reasonable but raising the price for family of 4 to $25/person + $8 parking = $108 to walk around in a nature preserve is kind of ridiculous for a middle class family coming from Chicago or the surrounding suburbs.

This like Chicago hypothetically to start to charge an admission fee for Millennium Park/Maggie Daley Park because its so popular with tourist.

:lol: I've still never stepped foot in Millennium Park.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Regular Reader wrote:

It's actually worth stepping foot in. Now and again the Mrs. and I will pack a lunch and a bottle of wine and head down there for a picnic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:38 pm 

a genius wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

It's actually worth stepping foot in. Now and again the Mrs. and I will pack a lunch and a bottle of wine and head down there for a picnic.

No thanks. If I'm planning a meal out I want freshly prepared food, comfortable seating and air conditioning. And if I were to, I'd vastly prefer the newer amenities at 31st St, 59th St. harbors, or at the Point people watching.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
hope you got to see the jack o lantern display in 2019! will not be going back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:24 pm 

charging a fee is sometimes needed to keep the homeless out. madison does it on halloween. they block off like 9 blocks, charge a fee, and its pretty nice because there aren't a lot of dirty hippies in there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
It's in Glencoe. I don't think they have a big homeless problem there. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
CDOM wrote:
It's in Glencoe. I don't think they have a big homeless problem there. :lol:

that would be correct!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Regular Reader wrote:
polster wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I've never set foot in Botanic Gardens despite growing up a couple miles away from it and then working for the past 25 years at an office that is less than a half mile away.

Also never been to Millenium Park either.