It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucky Lil's
I did a little hike/trail run today to break in some new OC's...once again the process of buying new shoes has resulted in fucking obscene blisters on both heels. I have tried all sorts of ways to avoid this but nothing works. The only way seems to be endure the blisters, let them heal and then a week or so later you're good.

There has to be a better way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Buy better shoes? That seems odd.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:13 pm 

Nas wrote:

These are pretty good shoes. Actually second pair I've owned, the only reason I'm buying these is because the last pair finally wore out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Have you had your feet measured? And the old pair did the same thing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:18 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Have you had your feet measured? And the old pair did the same thing?

No and yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:21 pm 

Get shoe trees.

pizza_Place: A few...
I think going to a shoe store/REI type place and having your feet measured is the way to go.

pizza_Place: giordanos
Back in the old days before the hybrid hiking athletic boots we used neats foot oil? Not sure of spelling but rub your boots a bunch walk around a week and repeat until your big hike or climb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:24 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Back in the old days before the hybrid hiking athletic boots we used neats foot oil? Not sure of spelling but rub your boots a bunch walk around a week and repeat until your big hike or climb.

I'm full trail runners now. Don't even have boots for extended multiday hikes with a pack anymore. I do take my Chacos into the mountains a lot but obviously you can't trail run in those and after a dozen miles or so your feet get ragged.

I think most people these days have given up on boots. They just don't give you much for the added bulk and when they get wet good fucking luck drying them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Use moleskin over or around the blisters. I think it's a dr scholls product.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Double sock it until you’re confident the shoes are broken in. Blisters happen from movement; no shoe can stop that on its own.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Go to Redwing some time. They measure your feet electronically and see the pressure points as well to get a perfect fit.
You'll pay 250 bucks for a pair of boots or shoes but they're fucking awesome.
I beat the everloving shit out of my boots due to work. I'd get all different brands and they'd last maybe 5 6 months at best. A pair of Redwing is 2 or 3 YEARS.

To answer your original question the only real way to break in shoes or boots is to wear them. When it's time to replace boots I buy new ones. Wear them for my first 2 calls, switch back to my old comfy fuckers. Do that for a few weeks and you're good. Don't be the dumbass that switches in new shoes and tosses out the old ones. Plan ahead.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:38 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Go to Redwing some time. They measure your feet electronically and see the pressure points as well to get a perfect fit.
You'll pay 250 bucks for a pair of boots or shoes but they're fucking awesome.
I beat the everloving shit out of my boots due to work. I'd get all different brands and they'd last maybe 5 6 months at best. A pair of Redwing is 2 or 3 YEARS.

To answer your original question the only real way to break in shoes or boots is to wear them. When it's time to replace boots I buy new ones. Wear them for my first 2 calls, switch back to my old comfy fuckers. Do that for a few weeks and you're good. Don't be the dumbass that switches in new shoes and tosses out the old ones. Plan ahead.

Yeah what happened here was the soles literally detached and the old shoes became basically unwearable. I should've been more diligent switching to the Chacos, probably would've saved me this nightmare.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:40 pm 

No amount of money can save you from blisters.

You have to assume your foot will move and minimize that friction to the extent possible. If you’re hiking or running; layer protection between the shoe and your skin. Wrap, tape, socks - nothing else works.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:45 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

You have to assume your foot will move and minimize that friction to the extent possible. If you’re hiking or running; layer protection between the shoe and your skin. Wrap, tape, socks - nothing else works.

The problem with overlayering is on the downhill your foot swells (I know this and account for it when I buy the shoes). Basically everything I do involves gain/loss these days. I will regularly hit trails that have 4-5k feet of gain then the same back down. You're feet will feel like they are bursting out of your shoes if you double layer on the downhill, I can only imagine the misery.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Darkside wrote:

This.

I buy my new shoes and wear them in the house only, then maybe to our training week, then start the day with the old ones in reserve. A couple of nights staring at the computer screen warms them up well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake

Nope...moleskin works great. When breaking a pair of Brooks or Asics and I get a blister all you need is moleskin. Cut a rectangle or square larger than blister and hollow out the square. Apply and put on sock and all is well.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The Great Northern wrote:
Nas wrote:

These are pretty good shoes. Actually second pair I've owned, the only reason I'm buying these is because the last pair finally wore out.

I asked about the shoes because I started having joint and foot pain from running on asphalt a year ago. I had never experienced that in my life. I thought Father Time was coming to see me. Nope, I just needed better shoes. I haven't had any issues since I got better shoes and I run 8 miles 2 to 3 times a week.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:28 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:

Nope...moleskin works great. When breaking a pair of Brooks or Asics and I get a blister all you need is moleskin. Cut a rectangle or square larger than blister and hollow out the square. Apply and put on sock and all is well.

The idea of double wrapping is it prevents the first blister. Ideally you wear an extremely tight pair of no shows, probably a size too small. Then layer on a thicker pair.

I can’t speak to TGN’s downhill comments but suicides in hs basketball without doubling up left me with bleeding feet. Two pairs saved that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:42 pm 

Breaking in a new pair now. In the house until Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
like darkside said i generally wear them. I had to do this recently with the 10+ hour amazon shifts and i found that the adidas ZX blast 1/1000s i got were spongey.soft when.i first put them on and theyve been providing that same level.of comfort since. I also.got my free "work shoes" in the form.of reebok.sublite legemds who have "memory foam massage v2.0" pads in there but after one lackluster day (compared to the new adidas) i heard it takes about a month to.break them in. Since doing even 3 days of this schedule tends to physically hurt me pretty good i see it quite hard ti invest a month into.seeing if i can get these things as good or better as the adidas right out of the box.