It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Found the shaft I needed on Amazon of all places and also a local guy that will install it and put a new grip on for $20. Glad I could keep the set matching in the end. I really should learn how to do this work on my own. I have taught myself how to do the grips in the basement which is pretty easy overall, but installing shafts and other tinkering like bending wedges is way beyond me.

That's good news. With the supply chain issues, you never know these days. Which shafts are you using in your irons?

I was fit into the KBS C-Taper Stiff 120s five years ago. I really like them and for me it has helped keep the ball down a bit. They were all sold out and on backorder on the KBS site.
Have you been out much this spring Augie?

It's good to stay with what works. Have you ever ordered from Golfworks?

I've hit balls a couple times, but only got out once...this past Monday at Nettle Creek. It's the first week they've allowed carts out. I've got arthritis in my feet, so I need to ride. The course was in good shape, a few mudballs, but not too bad. Never waited which was nice.

I believe I ordered a regripping set from GolfWorks that came with a cutting tool, some grip solution and a dozen double sided tapes. I just looked them up and they still have a big selection of equipment. I'll keep them in mind if I need things like grips. Hoping this is the last shaft I have to order for a while. It also appears they are owned by Dicks Sporting Goods now. I do need to replenish some of my grip supplies so I will likely go that route again with them.

Always nice when you don't have to wait. That is what I'm looking forward to most once the frost disappears. My game is rustier than usual but I know if I keep working at it things will start falling into place again.

I didn't know they were also owned by Dicks. Good to know.

I hear you on the rust. I'm trying to be kinder to myself this season and just enjoy being out there after some health issues, easier said than done.

Hopefully, you get out soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Happy to hear you are still able to get out despite the health issues. I opted for a cart membership this year after decades of walking, my body just hasn't been able to take the wear and tear,
even pushing a cart. I'm on another go around with a diet so hoping if I can drop 25+ pounds over the summer I will feel even better. I need golf for my mental health as much as anything.
I have plans to play Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week. Just hoping the frost is minimal and that I hit the ball a bit better. Played 9 last Saturday and started with two doubles, then two
regular bogies, then a triple before I pulled my head out of my ass. Somewhere in that stretch is when I bent the 5 iron I believe. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
About to start a narrow 18 that to me might as well be Augusta. I may or may not report a score later. :lol: 68 and sunny though so maybe toss the card and work on placement?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
This is looking like a lost year. I was supposed to play twice this week (my first round since October) and I had to spend the week in Chicago because my dad ended up being moved to memory care. I was already going to be in Chicago most of the time from Tuesday through Memorial Day to spend time with him so the earliest I'm going to play is the second week of June.

It's a shame, because I didn't play in March while my doctor's checked out what they thought might be a cardiac problem, which turned out negative. It feels like the last six months has been one thing after another.

So right now my cousin has my car outside of Raleigh and is playing a round without me, while I'm up north.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:10 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
This is looking like a lost year. I was supposed to play twice this week (my first round since October) and I had to spend the week in Chicago because my dad ended up being moved to memory care. I was already going to be in Chicago most of the time from Tuesday through Memorial Day to spend time with him so the earliest I'm going to play is the second week of June.

It's a shame, because I didn't play in March while my doctor's checked out what they thought might be a cardiac problem, which turned out negative. It feels like the last six months has been one thing after another.

So right now my cousin has my car outside of Raleigh and is playing a round without me, while I'm up north.

I hear you. I was supposed to play in a tournament today and tomorrow, but am going in for a CT scan today instead. The surgeon thinks that they might have to remove part of my colon. I'm hoping not obviously.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. That's good news on the cardiac diagnosis though.

My goal this year is try to enjoy playing when I'm out there. I think having the health issues will make it easier to be grateful.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Augie wrote:
My goal this year is try to enjoy playing when I'm out there.
Precisely why I got new clubs. The game became not fun. I don't expect to shot 80, but regularly in the 100s is no good either. Temper expectations this year and try to enjoy it more.

Best of luck to you guys with your games and your health/father issues.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:35 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Augie wrote:
My goal this year is try to enjoy playing when I'm out there.
Precisely why I got new clubs. The game became not fun. I don't expect to shot 80, but regularly in the 100s is no good either. Temper expectations this year and try to enjoy it more.

Best of luck to you guys with your games and your health/father issues.

Thanks Frank. New clubs always add some juice to the enjoyment. Good luck with your game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Augie wrote:

I hear you. I was supposed to play in a tournament today and tomorrow, but am going in for a CT scan today instead. The surgeon thinks that they might have to remove part of my colon. I'm hoping not obviously.

My goal this year is try to enjoy playing when I'm out there. I think having the health issues will make it easier to be grateful.

Augie, I hope you get a positive outcome.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:12 am 

Augie wrote:

Augie, I hope you get a positive outcome.

Thanks Chet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:29 pm 

Augie wrote:

Hoping for the very best diagnosis and outcome Augie.

I got out today on a blustery and windy day and pulled together a 77 so pretty thrilled after starting the season with some frustrating results. I have tee times for next two days but goi g to cancel them with what is doubtlessly long frost delays and highs in low 40s.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:19 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Augie wrote:

Hoping for the very best diagnosis and outcome Augie.

I got out today on a blustery and windy day and pulled together a 77 so pretty thrilled after starting the season with some frustrating results. I have tee times for next two days but goi g to cancel them with what is doubtlessly long frost delays and highs in low 40s.

Thanks T-Bone. Nice round today. I don't blame you for cancelling. It sure would be nice to have some 60 degree days, but I'm afraid we'll go from 40's to 85 like we always do.

I got a call from the Surgeon's nurse on my way home from the CT scan. I've never had the results so quickly. The good news is no inflammation and no abscess, but they're going to do a re-sectioning of the colon after my colonosphopy in June. Oh well, I'll try to get some golf in over the next couple months and hope to play more after I recover. Looks like the weather is going to turn around starting next Thursday. I'm going to try to make a teetime for Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:49 am 
100000 CLUB

Warm temps on Saturday to go with 30+ MPH winds. Otherwise, its rain and/or cool temps for the next ten days. This has to be one of the worst April's on record. The weather here for this early golf season has been just awful so far. Average high this time of year is 64-65. Brutal.

I have a tee time for Friday morning that could very easily be a washout.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:12 am 

Teeing it up Saturday and hopefully Sunday as well. Might get rained on a little bit Sunday but with 6am tee times back we should get done well before 9am. Last weekend we got around in 2:15
with no one ahead of us. Hoping this is the breakthrough towards a consistently warmer spring. I'll play when cold, but the frost delays really mess up getting out there early.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:13 pm 

When I was a kid in MN, I knew a guy who was in his 50s. He never played golf. He just chipped a 7 iron around the outside of the course and hunted for golf balls. After the start to this season, I'm ready to be that guy. If I didn't have so much invested in golf equipment and membership, it would be a good year to hang it up and go for long walks. I have tee time on Monday though as I'm a glutton for punishment. A planned retirement at year's end might be the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:33 am 

:( Certainly hope things turn around for you Augie. Sounds like you really love the game so giving it up would be tough. I know it would be for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Looking forward to the warm weather, but not the accompanying winds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:14 am 

Franky T wrote:

Not ideal but I'm thinking shorts this weekend which will obviously be a first. Winds will definitely be blowing. I'm just hoping to get my Sunday in with rain coming. I'll play in the rain as long as it isn't pouring and there is no lightning.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:42 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Not ideal but I'm thinking shorts this weekend which will obviously be a first. Winds will definitely be blowing. I'm just hoping to get my Sunday in with rain coming. I'll play in the rain as long as it isn't pouring and there is no lightning.

We have our opening day scramble scheduled for Sunday. Hoping it holds off until around noon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:44 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

We have our opening day scramble scheduled for Sunday. Hoping it holds off until around noon.

Got out both days. VERY wet and cart paths only. Mixed results. Hit a number of mid irons fat resulting in missed greens and chipping and putting quite rusty. I am hoping to hit the range this week at least once. I was monkeying around with an 80% swing to try to compliment my 100% swing I have been going with for my whole life. The thought being maybe I can get less right to left curvature with it and use it for different shots. Mixed results as you can imagine, in fact my buddy said the fat shots looked like a result of a decel which makes sense. I probably should just focus on one swing rather than two. :lol: Anyway 83 and 82 with a lot of bad shots isn't too bad this early in the season. Mixed results with the new putter as well. It feels awfully light to me and the face must be really soft. I put the 25 gram weights in there and it really hasn't helped much. I am going to weight it tonight against my old go to and see if there is a big difference or not.

Franky did you get your event in? They were calling for rain by us and we never got a drop until later in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:41 pm 

Tried to play today, but course was closed to carts. Felt better after last range session on Saturday. Just focusing on trying to hit the ball solid and forgetting about mechanics. I was looking forward to taking that to the course today, but will have to wait another day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

I had my rain gear on but only needed the umbrella for about 4 holes on Friday morning at Coyote Run. Basically had the entire course to ourselves. Course was in great shape and we got around in just over 3 hours. Shot 44-51 with a stretch of 9, 7, 5 (on a par 3) on the back 9 which killed the scorecard. Other than those three holes I really hit the ball well overall, particularly with the driver. New clubs are continuing to come around I think there will be big things down the road as I get more and more used to them and the weather becomes more golf friendly.

We were all right on the fence about canceling on Thursday night but I said I would get up early and check the weather so we figured we'd wait til the morning and see. The dog woke me up at 5:45 and I couldn't believe how relatively clear the radar looked. Ended being a very nice morning overall.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:32 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I had my rain gear on but only needed the umbrella for about 4 holes on Friday morning at Coyote Run. Basically had the entire course to ourselves. Course was in great shape and we got around in just over 3 hours. Shot 44-51 with a stretch of 9, 7, 5 (on a par 3) on the back 9 which killed the scorecard. Other than those three holes I really hit the ball well overall, particularly with the driver. New clubs are continuing to come around I think there will be big things down the road as I get more and more used to them and the weather becomes more golf friendly.

We were all right on the fence about canceling on Thursday night but I said I would get up early and check the weather so we figured we'd wait til the morning and see. The dog woke me up at 5:45 and I couldn't believe how relatively clear the radar looked. Ended being a very nice morning overall.

Glad that you got out Frank. What's the biggest adjustment with the new clubs?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-799-irons.html

They are super game improvement irons and the mis hits are not as 'punishing' as my 20 year old Cleveland irons. Five, Six years ago I was under 90 fairly often and in the low 80s occasionally. For most of the last two seasons, its been a struggle to break 100 most rounds. With the three rounds I've played so far with these new clubs, I can easily see low 90s being a 'bad' round with mid and upper 80s being the norm. I had a really hard time having even a modicum of fun sometimes last year, and even early on with mostly shit weather the fun quotient has grown exponentially...which really is what it should be all about.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:59 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

They are super game improvement irons and the mis hits are not as 'punishing' as my 20 year old Cleveland irons. Five, Six years ago I was under 90 fairly often and in the low 80s occasionally. For most of the last two seasons, its been a struggle to break 100 most rounds. With the three rounds I've played so far with these new clubs, I can easily see low 90s being a 'bad' round with mid and upper 80s being the norm. I had a really hard time having even a modicum of fun sometimes last year, and even early on with mostly shit weather the fun quotient has grown exponentially...which really is what it should be all about.

I've heard of that company. It's becoming pretty popular on some of the golf forums. They have some pretty sharp looking designs including the ones that you play.

Having confidence in your equipment is huge. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your season goes with the new sticks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:03 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Got out both days. VERY wet and cart paths only. Mixed results. Hit a number of mid irons fat resulting in missed greens and chipping and putting quite rusty. I am hoping to hit the range this week at least once. I was monkeying around with an 80% swing to try to compliment my 100% swing I have been going with for my whole life. The thought being maybe I can get less right to left curvature with it and use it for different shots. Mixed results as you can imagine, in fact my buddy said the fat shots looked like a result of a decel which makes sense. I probably should just focus on one swing rather than two. :lol: Anyway 83 and 82 with a lot of bad shots isn't too bad this early in the season. Mixed results with the new putter as well. It feels awfully light to me and the face must be really soft. I put the 25 gram weights in there and it really hasn't helped much. I am going to weight it tonight against my old go to and see if there is a big difference or not.

Franky did you get your event in? They were calling for rain by us and we never got a drop until later in the afternoon.

We got 8 holes in and then the sky opened up. We were doing pretty good too with the "easy" holes yet to play. We definitely would have finished in the money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:06 pm 

Augie wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I've heard of that company. It's becoming pretty popular on some of the golf forums. They have some pretty sharp looking designs including the ones that you play.

Having confidence in your equipment is huge. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of your season goes with the new sticks.

Frank will appreciate this. The owner of the company is a member at my club. You can see their logo on the link he posted. Anyway, a guy at our club showed up on Sunday for our opening day scramble with a Sub 90 hat. He had it made replacing the 70 with 90. It was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:04 am 

Augie wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Played with a guy Sunday that had a set of their irons and he loves them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:21 am 
100000 CLUB

Guess what? Another weekend, more rain. It's a fucking broken record with weather at this point. This shit is worse than February. At least then you expect cold and snow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:28 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Guess what? Another weekend, more rain. It's a fucking broken record with weather at this point. This shit is worse than February. At least then you expect cold and snow.

We might as well be living in North Dakota.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:24 pm 

The weather stinks. I have a teetime around Noon on Monday, but an RFP came in yesterday for a 3 year contract. It's due on Monday afternoon. Unless my team can get it done by tomorrow, I'll have to cancel golf as I'm the one that has to submit the bid. Hoping to get out and hit some balls over the next few days if nothing else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next