It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Contemplating heading out to the course Thanksgiving weekend to do some ball hunting. I still have quite a few from a few years back. This year I wouldn't even bother with scooping them out of the water. I've read those balls are pretty much sub par if they have been sitting in there for any considerable amount of time. I'm guessing that there are a few hundred balls I could find and probably more than 60 of them I would play so that seems like it would be worth the time and it would be some exercise. Not sure the temps make it as exciting. 5 dozen Pro V's would be worth the trouble to me.

I was talking with a guy at our league outing dinner about this. He claimed he finds about 8k balls per year with the most being in fall easily. Also claimed he keeps what he plays and play it again sports and/or internet pays like 25 cents a ball.

The last time I went out I think I found 700 or so, a majority were in the water. What I have been doing is I take 5 or 6 and hit them into the driving range before teeing off as a warmup. The guys I play with like to play good balls but they are not the ones I play like Callaway or Bridgestone or whatever. I usually give them each a new ball before we tee off. I keep the TaylorMade and Titleist generally.

I don't hunt but I keep what I find. Usually only use Callaways, Titleists. If in good shape Bridgestones and Maxims. Last year I bout two boxes of balls all year so... But my game is not your guys' I did learn a bad lesson. On Mondays we play behind a serious money league where the players aren't so good. One of them 3-4 groups ahead had an errant shot come into our area and I thought no way it could be active today.

The guy came up though and asked we seen his ball and I fessed up. I tried to hand it to him and he snapped no put it where it was found this is important. I felt bad and said sorry but it was all I could do not to tell him to ease up before I stick this putter up your ass. :lol:

I'm really not too picky especially early in the season when it is cold. I hate going into my pocket for golf balls when they are $50 a box. I've been hoarding my good ones for years. I still had some I used this year that my mom bought me for my 40th birthday.... 6 years ago. :lol: I usually don't break out the new ones unless I am playing a bucket list type place. I read that they start to degrade after time even when not used. I bought 4 or 5 dozen Vice balls a number of years ago and I still enjoy using those as my springtime balls. I am not good enough to really tell the differences in a lot of the balls. I like to hit a low trajectory so I can definitely tell the difference in the flight characteristics on some of them and certainly the feel and how they react around the green with spin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
As soon as I'm cleared to start up golfing again slowly, the weather here in NC takes a shitter and we're lucky to get out of the 40s. Fuck me.

But I'm cleared to start slowly with the range (a good idea since I haven't touched a club in 13 months) and then walk the local par-3 complex with 3-4 clubs a few times. The par-3 isn't horrible as long as you don't keep score, it's easier to think of it as a two mile walk where every few hundred feet you stop and hit a 9 iron.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:47 pm 

Sounds like a great way to ramp back up Chet. I wish I had a par 3 near me, pretty sure it would pay dividends right away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Contemplating heading out to the course Thanksgiving weekend to do some ball hunting. I still have quite a few from a few years back. This year I wouldn't even bother with scooping them out of the water. I've read those balls are pretty much sub par if they have been sitting in there for any considerable amount of time. I'm guessing that there are a few hundred balls I could find and probably more than 60 of them I would play so that seems like it would be worth the time and it would be some exercise. Not sure the temps make it as exciting. 5 dozen Pro V's would be worth the trouble to me.

I was talking with a guy at our league outing dinner about this. He claimed he finds about 8k balls per year with the most being in fall easily. Also claimed he keeps what he plays and play it again sports and/or internet pays like 25 cents a ball.

The last time I went out I think I found 700 or so, a majority were in the water. What I have been doing is I take 5 or 6 and hit them into the driving range before teeing off as a warmup. The guys I play with like to play good balls but they are not the ones I play like Callaway or Bridgestone or whatever. I usually give them each a new ball before we tee off. I keep the TaylorMade and Titleist generally.

I don't hunt but I keep what I find. Usually only use Callaways, Titleists. If in good shape Bridgestones and Maxims. Last year I bout two boxes of balls all year so... But my game is not your guys' I did learn a bad lesson. On Mondays we play behind a serious money league where the players aren't so good. One of them 3-4 groups ahead had an errant shot come into our area and I thought no way it could be active today.

The guy came up though and asked we seen his ball and I fessed up. I tried to hand it to him and he snapped no put it where it was found this is important. I felt bad and said sorry but it was all I could do not to tell him to ease up before I stick this putter up your ass. :lol:

He didn't need to be a prick, but you should only pick up balls that you know for sure are out of play. And only use a wedge to stick up someone's ass. The are easier to replace.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:52 pm 

Franky T wrote:
pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

He didn't need to be a prick, but you should only pick up balls that you know for sure are out of play. And only use a wedge to stick up someone's ass. The are easier to replace.

:lol: :lol: I wouldn't waste any golf club. IMO the umbrella is the one and only tool for performing an anal insertion on some idiot out there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:50 am 

I am bagging the idea of going out ball hunting. I think I am going to probably end up pulling the trigger on 5 dozen Vice balls. I still have a few boxes of Pro V's for when I play a bucket list course or maybe in a tournament. 5 dozen gives me enough to start with a new ball for every round. This year I will track how many I lose per round. Sometimes I'll lose a few and other times I'll finish a weekend with one ball. Probably come out pretty even. Kinda liking these actually ......

https://www.vicegolf.com/us/vice-golf-all-drip

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I bought Vice year before last. I was happy but I am not at your level. My big point was 5 doz for 4. Maybe 4 for 3. It was a good deal if shipping was free.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:06 am 

pittmike wrote:
I bought Vice year before last. I was happy but I am not at your level. My big point was 5 doz for 4. Maybe 4 for 3. It was a good deal if shipping was free.

The balls feel a little different and perform slightly different than the Titleist. When I am playing 50-60 times a year it is about just having a really good ball and not great. It is under $150
for 5 dozen ( $28.95 a dozen ). You aren't going to find a much better price than that for a 4 piece ball. They have other lower performing balls for even less in all kinds of colors. I play with some older guys and they like the green balls. I told them to look at the Vice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11