It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Shot triple digits for the first time in about 10 years today. Zero pars. One or two bogeys. MANY triples.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:16 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
My mom comes in for a visit today and told her to bring her clubs. Playing this morning before picking her up in the afternoon which sets me up for possibly 5 days of golf in a row. Tomorrow is iffy unless we play later in the morning. Friday I’m planning on taking her to play with my usual crew. One guy in his late 50s and the other mid 60s who have become some of my best buddies. Saturday we might try to play before she heads back. Hoping it works out because it kills a lot of time. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I haven't been able to touch a club all year. I spent the first half of the year commuting to Chicago weekly and transitioning my dad from independent living to memory care while still trying to freelance two days a week. Then what I thought were post-covid bronchial symptoms mixed with being out of shape was my artificial aortic heart valve from 2017 totally failing on me about 10 years earlier than expected. Fortunately, I was able to get my dad's transition complete and got back to North Carolina to get diagnosed and have another open heart surgery in early July - this time for a mechanical valve instead of a biological one. This one is supposed to last 30 years, and I'll die of something else before that.

I'm recovering pretty well but the doctors are being cautious. I'm working with a nurse on cardiac rehab for the next twelve weeks, and I should be cleared to start swinging a golf club again at the end of September. I suspect that they will prefer that I just play the 9-hole par-3 complex attached to one of the driving ranges for the winter so that I can walk instead of using a cart, and only need to carry five clubs (hybrid, 7, 9, PW, putter). I've lost another 20 pounds - unbeknownst to me I had been losing weight all spring but it was being replaced by fluid retention from the valve. So I'm at my lightest weight in 30 years, although I still have another 20 pounds to go before my doctor is happy.

I've come full circle - other than some vacation golf as a kid, I started playing golf regularly in 1977 at Billy Caldwell for $4/9 with a bunch of retirees who were recovering from heart issues and could either play golf or walk around the mall with their wives. Now, I'm the retiree...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:13 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I haven't been able to touch a club all year. I spent the first half of the year commuting to Chicago weekly and transitioning my dad from independent living to memory care while still trying to freelance two days a week. Then what I thought were post-covid bronchial symptoms mixed with being out of shape was my artificial aortic heart valve from 2017 totally failing on me about 10 years earlier than expected. Fortunately, I was able to get my dad's transition complete and got back to North Carolina to get diagnosed and have another open heart surgery in early July - this time for a mechanical valve instead of a biological one. This one is supposed to last 30 years, and I'll die of something else before that.

I'm recovering pretty well but the doctors are being cautious. I'm working with a nurse on cardiac rehab for the next twelve weeks, and I should be cleared to start swinging a golf club again at the end of September. I suspect that they will prefer that I just play the 9-hole par-3 complex attached to one of the driving ranges for the winter so that I can walk instead of using a cart, and only need to carry five clubs (hybrid, 7, 9, PW, putter). I've lost another 20 pounds - unbeknownst to me I had been losing weight all spring but it was being replaced by fluid retention from the valve. So I'm at my lightest weight in 30 years, although I still have another 20 pounds to go before my doctor is happy.

I've come full circle - other than some vacation golf as a kid, I started playing golf regularly in 1977 at Billy Caldwell for $4/9 with a bunch of retirees who were recovering from heart issues and could either play golf or walk around the mall with their wives. Now, I'm the retiree...

All the best Chet and glad the valve replacement went well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I burned a day last Friday and drove down to Kankakee Elks course. Nice track. Greens and fairways were impeccable. For as dry as its been here, the rough was gnarly. They definitely water the course well that's for sure. Well worth the $38 to ride. Unfortunately, I should have went to work. Was just awful on the front nine (56). Only thing I did somewhat well was putt. I managed to somewhat get it together on the back to shoot 99 on the day, but was scrambling just to save bogey on MANY holes. It was fun day with great weather on a new course, and it wasn't a fun day as I was very frustrated with my play for the majority of the round.

Pretty busy the next weeks so I'm not sure how much I'll manage to get out in 'summer' weather. Maybe I can squeeze in 9 holes here and there.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Shot triple digits for the first time in about 10 years today. Zero pars. One or two bogeys. MANY triples.

This should be posted in cum town you scrub.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
My last four rounds have been 79-79-81-77. After not being able to play much golf for most of the summer I'm finally finding a bit of a groove. Hoping for some nice weather this fall now that I am able to play a bit more regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:13 am 

Franky T wrote:
My last four rounds have been 79-79-81-77. After not being able to play much golf for most of the summer I'm finally finding a bit of a groove. Hoping for some nice weather this fall now that I am able to play a bit more regularly.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:29 am 

Played 4 of 5 days. It appears my short game has decided to leave me, specifically in the bunkers. That and blow up holes have been my problem the last half dozen rounds. Starting to hit a bit of a wall it seems and starting to lose some interest. One of our regulars has decided he doesn't want to play on the weekends anymore which is disappointing. I've got 45 rounds in which is pretty solid but behind the pace I had set to try to hit before the season began. Found a little something with the driver and generally hitting that with more accuracy than ever before.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:32 am 

Was a nice long weekend for the golf. A little misting rain on Sunday but it wasn't bad. Got frustrated enough at my putter to put it in jail after a 36 putt performance on Sunday. The greens at this course were slow and had been top dressed but it was ridiculously frustrating and I'd had enough. Brought out a putter I thought would be more stable and the heaviest one I have and only had 28 yesterday so it was a successful swap.

I am thinking about taking Saturday off and going up to Erin Hills with my wife to walk the course and watch the U.S. Mid Amateur event. They are having the US Women's Open up there in 2025 but I believe this will be a much more enjoyable experience to walk with MANY fewer people and access to the clubhouse.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!

sucks to hear about your valve. My brother had the exact same thing. His pig/cow valve failed after 7 years and he had to go get a mechanical valve installed. He's doing well now, but had to go back in recently get a wire clipped that was poking almost uot of his skin.

Hope recovery goes well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
got my ass kicked by Olympia Fields CC yesterday. 95 without a single penalty stroke. Bunkers absolutely killed me. Couldn't stay out of them and couldn't get out of them well. All greenside bunkers I hit thin and all fairway I hit fat. It was ugly. Even almost killed some people who were hanging out behind a green in a couple carts. Thinned a greenside bunker shot over the green right into their cart. Yelled 4 dramatically a few times before they took me serious, but it was too late. Amazing I didn't hit one of the 3 people standing/sitting within a foot of where it landed.

Course is amazing though. Very pretty. Greens very fast, but not receptive to good shots which I didn't like. Not a fan of getting a double bogey on a hole where my approach for a GIR lands in front of the green as planned and bounces on and then rolls 60 feet and off the back. had that on a few holes.

Would love to go back and take anotehr shot at it. Got it going on the back after a 49 on the front. Was 5 over on the back and then triple bogeyed both 17 and 18.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's

Just seeing this now, but belated healing and bounceback mojo for you, Mr. Fur Coat!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Been to the range a few times, but have only been out for a nine and a full round this year. Hoping to get out one or two more times before the weather gets nasty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:35 pm 

Able to walk Erin Hills today and enjoy the experience with my wife. Maybe 75 cars there for spectators. You could walk on the fairways wherever you wanted. Made the decision last night to spread my portion of my dad and brothers ashes there and it worked out great. It’s truly one of the most gorgeous natural pieces of property I’ve ever been on. It’s nothing like Whistling which is all man made. Erin is almost all natural and carved by glaciers. Anyway it felt good to leave what I had of them there. I didn’t want their remains sitting in a closet at my house any longer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:12 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:

Just seeing this now, but belated healing and bounceback mojo for you, Mr. Fur Coat!

Thank you! It looks like I may be going out for a couple of rounds at real courses in late October in Virginia with some family, I would probably not take a full swing but just drop at the cart path line in front of the green and play from there. It will be nice to get out on a course again after almost a full year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:10 am 

Looking like maybe one of the best remaining golf weekends of the year. I don't mind it getting a little cooler but the leaves can be a real pain in the butt to find your ball. I didn't touch a club last weekend so probably going to be a little rusty but it's not a big deal. Was really hoping to get out 10 more times this season but time is running short. Not sure I am going to play all the way to the end of October or beyond yet. Need to find out when they are going to be punching the greens by me, unfortunately likely soon. Ended up speaking with a guy on a golf message board and he lives like a mile away from me so we might try to play at least once this season and maybe that will turn into a new golf opportunity in the future. Our group was very disjointed this year and it was hard to pull together a consistent foursome.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:58 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Able to walk Erin Hills today and enjoy the experience with my wife. Maybe 75 cars there for spectators. You could walk on the fairways wherever you wanted. Made the decision last night to spread my portion of my dad and brothers ashes there and it worked out great. It’s truly one of the most gorgeous natural pieces of property I’ve ever been on. It’s nothing like Whistling which is all man made. Erin is almost all natural and carved by glaciers. Anyway it felt good to leave what I had of them there. I didn’t want their remains sitting in a closet at my house any longer.

Very cool.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:49 am 

Right now my plan is to wrap up the golf season on Saturday. Just a little burned out and with the later tee times in the morning I don't really want to be getting home after noon. I'll switch gears and I'd like to focus on fitness/weight loss and projects I have around the house. There is a chance I may play a random round or two in October with a supplier but nothing competitive and won't be expecting much. Been a decent season over all. I'll play 51 rounds at my course, there were 4 other rounds I played other places. Short of the 60 rounds I was shooting for but when all is said and done I think it was still worth buying the membership and is comes out to be about $25 a round with a cart which is a deal that can't be beat. I enjoyed using a cart but I am sure I would be in better shape if I walked.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Getting out Saturday and would like to maybe play a couple of fall rounds, but the season is winding down for sure. A bit of a mixed bag as I had some high highs and low lows. I suppose I would rather be consistently shooting mid-upper 80s than fire a 77 and three weeks later struggle to break 100.

Just going to try and enjoy Saturday as it might be the final round wearing shorts for the year. Breaking 90 would be sweet.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:03 pm 

I still won't be cleared to full swing a club for another six weeks, but I am planning on working on my chipping and putting in another couple of weeks. That and getting my walking endurance up so that I can handle winter "cart path only" golf in NC in December and January.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:45 am 

Last round at my course today. Crisp but nice morning. Shorts and long sleeved pullover is a great way to play. Managed a 75 so a nice way to finish. I might play a few more times elsewhere but we will see. I had errands to run in Vernon Hills and stopped at Golf Galaxy and PGA Superstore to look at the pre-owned stock. Already tinkering for next year. Hit a really nice Titleist three wood but just not a good time to drop $230 and I might be able to find something cheaper over the winter. I like my three wood but it’s ten years old and I’m convinced I could get a bit more distance and accuracy out of a newer model. The other gap in my bag is 195-210. I probably need a 5 hybrid but can’t quite stomach the idea of that yet. I have a love/hate relationship with my 3 hybrid. My 4 hybrid was the MVP of my golf bag this season. Ever since I picked it up it’s my go to club from 195-225 yards. I used to hit 5 iron from 200 but I can’t get it much past 190 anymore. Ifican shed some weight this winter and get stronger maybe it will solve some of this. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:57 am 

[quote="T-Bone"]Did a brief accounting of the stats I keep after 18 rounds this year. Definitely would like some improvements but here is what it looks like currently.... I realize no one gives a shit but someone might find it somewhat interesting.....

June 10th stats vs end of year

78.5 stroke average 77.06
41% of fairways hit ( would like 50% or better, last year was 43% ) 40%
46% of greens hit ( I had almost 52% last year ) 50%
30.8 putts a round with 0.77 three putts per round 30.32 putts with .68 three putts a round
57% scrambling which is chipping up and getting down in 1 putt ( like to get this over 60% ) 57%
23% sand saves. Last year I was over 50% which was an all time best. Going to be hard to bring this number up after a slow start. 37%

Final stats for the year. I know no one gives a shit but easy for me to find if I want to look for next year. I've said it the past few years but the goal is to shed some weight and gain strength and flexibility in the offseason. I have an area in my basement I can work on the putting a bit. Probably play virtually a bit early next year and hopefully we have a better spring than this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:13 am 

I think its cool you keep track of your stats TBone. I wish I was at such a level. But my numbers would be too bad to see wrote down somewhere :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:20 am 

Gives me something to still be competitive at and thankful I can still play ok. If I practiced I could probably shave a few more strokes off but I just don't have a good place to do that, nor the time really.

I put it together every once in a while which keeps me coming back. I broke par on nine holes 7 different times but only was able to do it for 18 holes once this season. I certainly had chances on other rounds but it's tough not to make a major mistake for 18 holes. One of the only things I am actually passionate about, just frustrating that the season isn't longer which is why moving south is very appealing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:48 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Gives me something to still be competitive at and thankful I can still play ok. If I practiced I could probably shave a few more strokes off but I just don't have a good place to do that, nor the time really.

I put it together every once in a while which keeps me coming back. I broke par on nine holes 7 different times but only was able to do it for 18 holes once this season. I certainly had chances on other rounds but it's tough not to make a major mistake for 18 holes. One of the only things I am actually passionate about, just frustrating that the season isn't longer which is why moving south is very appealing.

What I found was great for cutting those couple strokes out was keeping my wedges in the car and a handful of golf balls and when I passed any course and had 10-15 extra minutes, I would stop and work on my chipping. One day work on long runs and the next day on short shots to stop the ball. Have a mental target of 5-8 feet around a hole and try and get it there 80% of the time.

Now I stopped playing religiously about 17 years ago but I do that now in my yard so I don't look like an ass when I play my 2-3 rounds a year. Played labor day and shot a 95 which should have been a 90 damnit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:48 pm 

Played a nice club this afternoon for a work function. Beautiful day out there. Hadn’t played in a couple of weeks. Hit the ball ok overall but two doubles and a triple hurt. Pulled it together at the end to card an 81. Probably 10 strokes better than the last time I played there earlier this season. Tough course.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:51 pm 

I played in a fall scramble out in Freeport on Sunday. They play two groups together to prevent cheating. We all knew that our two groups were the likely contenders to win (I have some friends who are really good). Par 71 course and we shot 59 to the other group's 57. It was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:27 am 

Franky T wrote:
I played in a fall scramble out in Freeport on Sunday. They play two groups together to prevent cheating. We all knew that our two groups were the likely contenders to win (I have some friends who are really good). Par 71 course and we shot 59 to the other group's 57. It was a lot of fun.

That’s the way it should be done, grouping a few together and keeping the others scorecard. Sounds like an epic battle with a lot of birdies so that would have been fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:12 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:

That’s the way it should be done, grouping a few together and keeping the others scorecard. Sounds like an epic battle with a lot of birdies so that would have been fun.

It was a lot of fun. We pulled within 1 and had a tap in birdie on our 15th hole and they had about 20' downhill breaker. The last guy rolled it in (after dropping a 50 footer earlier). That was the back breaker. They had an absolute bomber on their team. 575 yard par 5 and he put them 224 out off the tee. It was fun to watch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next