It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: CFMB 2022 Golf Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Thought I would get this kicked off. Hoping everyone a successful 2022 golf season this year. I am going to head over to my favorite local watering hole at lunch and get signed up for a virtual, one club 9 hole par three tournament on New Years Day. Sounds like something fun and no expectations to do anything great since I haven't played in months and everyone is using one club. The longest holes are 106 and 100 and the remainder are all much shorter. Putting with a gap or sand wedge should be interesting virtually. Might have to practice bellying the ball in my basement a little bit.

Nothing really worth noting as far as Xmas golf gear. I bought myself a new putter a few weeks back and then I got a Masters polo and long sleeve t-shirt from my mom so I am all set. Planning on going to Masters practice round in April. I have a supplier that has invited me to a guys outing in southern Indiana in mid - May that is like a Ryder Cup thing at an exclusive golf course so looking forward to that if it works out. No destination trips planned for me this year. I'd like to get out somewhere in NC when I visit my mother. A couple of bucket list places yet in WI I'd like to play including Lawsonia so maybe I can work that out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:05 am 

Interesting article for those of you maybe looking to choose the right ball for your game this year. My Golf Spy is a good site for a lot of testing of products...

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The second half of this season was a total waste. Every time it was a nice weekday down here, I was out of town or had a client call right in the middle of the day. Then I'd be home and it would rain or be 97 in the summer or 48 in the fall.

It's supposed to be nice this afternoon so I'm hoping to get to the driving range around 3pm and see if I can remember how to hit a 7 iron and a 3 wood.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I played 12 holes on Christmas Eve. I was one over. Hope I remember what I was doing right :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Angie's
Got a new 56 wedge. Gonna re-build my golf career by starting with the wedge! Can't strike the ball with nothing else.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Wayne Kerr wrote:
Got a new 56 wedge. Gonna re-build my golf career by starting with the wedge! Can't strike the ball with nothing else.

100 yards and in is a good focus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:04 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:

What did you get?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:33 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:

What did you get?

Wilson/Staff Model. Got it as a gift from the guy here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:53 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:

What did you get?

Nice to see Wilson back in the golf equipment game. When I was in junior high in the late 80s I really wanted a set of Wilson Goosenecks. Ended up with a set of Taylor Made Tour Preferred TD which were harder to hit but probably made me a better player in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:05 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:

What did you get?

Nice to see Wilson back in the golf equipment game. When I was in junior high in the late 80s I really wanted a set of Wilson Goosenecks. Ended up with a set of Taylor Made Tour Preferred TD which were harder to hit but probably made me a better player in the long run.

Nice! I had the Tour Burner driver back then. Looks so tiny now, but I remember loving it. Won one at the caddie banquet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:16 pm 

Wayne Kerr wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:

What did you get?

Nice! I had the Tour Burner driver back then. Looks so tiny now, but I remember loving it. Won one at the caddie banquet.

I had a Burner driver and Brassie which was essentially a 2 wood. How old are you?

Yes the drivers today dwarf the older models, never would have guessed back then they’d get so large.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:39 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:

What did you get?

I had a Burner driver and Brassie which was essentially a 2 wood. How old are you?

Yes the drivers today dwarf the older models, never would have guessed back then they’d get so large.

Fiddy-one.

I had the Brassie as well! I think it said "Brassie" on it . . . which was the last time I ever heard that old word for a two wood.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:21 pm 

They’d call it a strong 3 wood today. Taylor made makes a mini driver in the same loft of 12 degrees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I like golf, but don't love golf. My wife got me a nice driver and putter for Christmas.

I plan to have my most active summer of golf this year simply to try and enjoy my son's last summer before he heads off to school.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:03 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
I like golf, but don't love golf. My wife got me a nice driver and putter for Christmas.

I plan to have my most active summer of golf this year simply to try and enjoy my son's last summer before he heads off to school.

Nice. Lots of good options to play in the northern burbs and SE Wisconsin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:27 pm 

Carded a 29 on the par 3. Birdied first, bogeyed the next and doubled the 3rd before parring out. It was putts good inside 8 ft. The greens were extremely difficult. I feel like I should be in the top 10 but who knows. If I had played it before I could have been a bit better but I was just doing it for fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:10 pm 

I guess I finished outside the money. I was allowed in after a group of the owners friends had played. Three had shot under par. I finished at +2 and 10 people beat me at+1 or better. Incredible really when I saw the folks playing but oh well. I’m not as good as I think I am so it fuels my off season fire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:38 am 

Played last week Sunday down in Tennessee, don't see myself playing anymore without work being done on my shoulder. Last Monday, I couldn't hardly move my arm I was in so much pain. I believe it is a torn rotator cuff, but I am going to have to go in and get it looked at and probably surgery is in my future. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hawg Ass wrote:
Played last week Sunday down in Tennessee, don't see myself playing anymore without work being done on my shoulder. Last Monday, I couldn't hardly move my arm I was in so much pain. I believe it is a torn rotator cuff, but I am going to have to go in and get it looked at and probably surgery is in my future. :(

It hurts. Then it is much better. So happy I got mine fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:13 pm 

Finally starting to get the itch to start swinging the clubs again, which usually happens around February 1st. I've essentially been off since Labor Day. They are supposed to open a new XGolf virtual place here in town this week so I would like to get over there to try it out. Already have most of my goals written out and so now it is time to start making it happen. I should have gotten in much better shape which was my plan and didn't really happen but I am not going to beat myself up about it. Just had a week off with my wife and had a lot of time to write down some things and get in a much more positive mind set to reach goals I have set.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
this is a serious question.

but, do balls matter?

for someone who has yet to break 100...does it really matter? what should i be spending and what brand?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
doug - evergreen park wrote:

but, do balls matter?

for someone who has yet to break 100...does it really matter? what should i be spending and what brand?

Somewhat matter. I think it's important to be consistent in selection because different brands have different characteristics. But I also don't think you will get that much benefit from spending more than $2/ball.

The first time I play a course, I play the Kirkland balls when it has a lot of narrow fairways and elevated greens, and the yellow Taylor Made Soft Response if I want more roll but less height and I'm going to hit a lot of 3-wood off the tee. I try not to play anything else..

The really cheap balls like Top Flite are like hitting rocks. It's difficult for a good player to be consistent with them, much less someone like me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:35 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:

but, do balls matter?

We are kind of in the golden age of golf ball manufacturing. It's a good question because there are so many options. Most of these bigger companies have a tool on their website to help get you into what they consider the correct ball. If you know what your swing speed is that is a big help in a lot of cases. For me the most important part is feel and then after that ball flight is pretty important.

Like Chet mentioned you can get some distance balls but often they are very firm and don't feel good or give much feedback when you hit them. People like to play colors now too. I usually play Pro V during the season but in the spring the last few years I have played Kirkland and Vice and thought they were pretty good. I find Vice to be very underrated and they have a bunch of different styles and colors as well as one of those selectors if you are interested.

https://www.vicegolf.com/us/vice-golf-ball-recommender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:21 am 

If you haven't ever broken 100 it probably really doesn't matter. When I got fitted for my driver last year the guy told be to play the "x" balls based on my swing for lower spin. When I got my irons they guy said the same thing. I had a couple dozen Pro V's that I had to use up, but have some of the x's ready for the spring.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
At a golf show a few years back, a club pro told my Dad to use ladies balls. As we get older obviously you lose swing speed, and the ladies balls are engineered exactly for slower swing speeds. The pro said if my Dad switched he would likely see better ball control and more distance. He's a stubborn ox so he's still playing yellow Callaways, but everything the pro said makes sense.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:35 am 

Wasn't going to do it opening weekend but that new X Golf opening here in town had a 1 hour slot at 9am tomorrow for $30 so I jumped on it. Probably hit some balls and then try to play 18 at Hazeltine or something. Really not sure what to expect but will be fun to hit some balls again. Going to also bring both my drivers and see if the Callaway Rogue Sub Zero can take down the Taylor Made M5 that I really have been loving the last few seasons.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:40 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Wasn't going to do it opening weekend but that new X Golf opening here in town had a 1 hour slot at 9am tomorrow for $30 so I jumped on it. Probably hit some balls and then try to play 18 at Hazeltine or something. Really not sure what to expect but will be fun to hit some balls again. Going to also bring both my drivers and see if the Callaway Rogue Sub Zero can take down the Taylor Made M5 that I really have been loving the last few seasons.

Pretty fun experience for the $26 they charged me. I see their regular pricing is $60 an hour and that’s too rich for my blood. I can go to one of my courses for $35 an hour.

I bought some additional weights and a new grip for my putter I got late last year so I should be able to dial that in and swap weights with the other putters as well. Better than monkeying with lead tape like the old days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:52 pm 

Going back to XGolf on Wednesday to split an hour with a buddy. I think we will try to play Pebble since that is where the PGA Tour is this week. I got the new screw in weights for the putters yesterday and they fit well. I now have various 15, 20 and 25 gram weights that will fit the three Scotty's. Paid a fraction of the branded putter weights, although I was going to actual weigh my Scotty weights and the generic ones to see if they match. I think it will come in handy to have a heavier putter in spring when the greens are still a little shaggy, at least that is what I found last year. I used the heavy putter in the spring and switched to the lighter putter later on as I didn't have the tool and weights to switch. Hoping to get outside to hit balls by middle of next month if the weather continues to hold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:04 pm 

Went to the simulator yesterday before the games. We played Pebble for the same reason. First time swinging a club in over a month. Felt good to swing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I made a couple golf purchases today.

My current driver is a Ping G410 12 degree and I like it, but I wanted to try a 10.5 driver with a super light shaft to see if i can get a few more yards. So, I placed an order with 2nd swing for a used 10.5 degree Titleist driver with a 42 gram shaft.

The other purchase was a training aide. The only thing I have in common with Tiger is that we both have a tendency for the club to get stuck behind us on the downswing. I saw this and thought I would give it a shot.

https://pureplanepro.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next