It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 PGA Tour thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I have zero desire to watch a playday. The shotgun start is just stupid, too. I like the drama of guys at the top coming down the stretch toward 18 like last weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Sergio. What a douche. Always has been, always will be.
Quote:
Sergio Garcia will be fined by the DP World Tour unless he provides emergency reasons or “medical evidence deemed reasonable” for withdrawing without explanation from last week’s BMW PGA Championship after a first-round 76 - and then being pictured at a college gridiron game in Texas 24 hours later.

Wentworth HQ confirmed to Telegraph Sport on Monday that, three days on, it has still to receive a reason from Garcia or his management company and have warned that unless it is forthcoming in the three-week window then he will be hit with a financial penalty.

Play was called off at the West Course on Friday out of respect to the late Queen Elizabeth II, with the tournament being reduced to 54 holes. Yet when the second round started on Saturday, Garcia was 5,000 miles away, smiling for the cameras. On four-over, he would have required a 64 to make the cut at the West Course.

A spokesperson confirmed that David Garland, the tournament director, is, in this instance, ready to apply the Tour's withdrawal policy. The members’ regulations handbook is clear.

“A player is not entitled to withdraw at the conclusion of the first round or during the play of any round of a tournament,” it says. “Exception: emergency reasons or medical circumstances deemed reasonable by the tournament director. Written evidence of medical circumstances must be forwarded to the tournament director or the entries department within 21 days following the withdrawal. A player not observing this regulation will be fined.”

Garcia was the only one of the 15 LIV-contracted players in the Tour’s flagship event who pulled out of the tournament.

Garcia is on the starting list, published on Monday, for this week’s LIV event in Chicago. The £20million three-day tournament starts on Friday and will also feature Americans Talor Gooch and Patrick Reed, who on Sunday finished fourth and fifth respectively behind Ireland’s Shane Lowry. In celebration, Lowry said: “This is one for the good guys.” There are no new LIV recruits this time.

And not that he's the first guy to WD after a poor first round. He certainly isn't, and won't be the last. But to then allow a bunch of social media posts to be out there at a football game on the other half of the globe? :lol: What a disrespectful jackass.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Anyone going to the LIV event in the Chicago area this weekend? A lot of big names there and a chance to walk a pretty cool course from what I have heard.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:57 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Anyone going to the LIV event in the Chicago area this weekend? A lot of big names there and a chance to walk a pretty cool course from what I have heard.

I thought about it for a minute (it's less than 30 minutes away), but I'm not going. Even though there are some really good players I don't want to support this goofy league. If hadn't played the course I might go to check the course out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I’d planned on it but had some conflicts pop up. I suspect LIV puts on a nice event.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:49 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I’d planned on it but had some conflicts pop up. I suspect LIV puts on a nice event.

For $50 to see some of the better players in the world, walk the course and see what it is like I thought maybe it would be intriguing. I still don't agree with it and hate what it is doing to golf but I also don't think it is going away anytime soon. Waiting to see if they figure a way to get the guys World Golf Ranking Points which will really mess things up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

The seem to put on a nice play day. The only thing missing are insurance agents and bankers giving away branded swag on some of the tees.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
This is funny as shit :lol: what a douche!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:53 am 

Kind of an interesting turn.... Hilarious they are willing to pay for their own air time

LIV Golf is nearing a deal to purchase air time for its tournaments on U.S. cable television, multiple sources have told Golfweek. The potential agreement — which is still being finalized — is with Fox Sports 1.

While media companies typically pay sports leagues a substantial rights fee to air their products, the deal would not see LIV receive payment, said a source familiar with the discussions. Instead, LIV — which is controversially financed by the Saudi Arabian regime’s Public Investment Fund — would buy time on the cable channel to air its events, a move that will be widely interpreted as a failure to attract serious commercial interest in what it is offering.

Just two weeks ago, the CEO of LIV, Greg Norman, said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:56 am 

LIV really does have Fuck You money to spread around..... The quote by an PGA pro that I highlighted is hilarious

Golfers will compete for $50 million, the richest purse in the sport's history, in LIV Golf's season-ending team championship, which is scheduled to be played at Trump National Doral Miami from Oct. 27-30.

Twelve four-man teams will compete for a $16 million first-place prize. The teams will be seeded one through 12. The top four seeds will receive a bye to the quarterfinals. The other eight will compete in qualifying rounds.

How will the seeding be determined? By a closest-to-the-pin shootout by the team captains, which will take place immediately after players are drafted.

That was the format for how the team championship will work in LIV Golf's rules and regulations, which were released by a U.S. District Court in California on Monday as part of its federal antitrust lawsuit against the PGA Tour.

"The Team Series Championship will be played over four days as a match-play head-to-head knock-out playoff, with the winning Team crowned as the 'Team Series Champion,'" section 5.4 of the rules and regulations states. "Each team will be ranked and seeded one (1) through twelve (12) for competition in the Team Series Championship based on a shootout undertaken immediately following the Player Draft preceding the Team Series Championship, with each Team Captain having one (1) shot to hit toward a target in a 'nearest the pin'-style shootout."

According to the section, "[T]he Team whose Team Captain's shot finishes closest to the target will be designated as the first (1st) seed and each remaining Team will be seeded based on the proximity to the target of each other Team Captain's shot."

A LIV Golf spokesperson told ESPN on Tuesday that details of the team championship were still being finalized and would be released in the future.

"It's very unsurprising that they would pick something so tacky and unoriginal to try and expand the game," a longtime PGA Tour player told ESPN on Tuesday. "It's f---ing lame is what it is. It's lame as s---. It's XFL. It's AND1 Mixtape Tour. It's not competitive golf. It's a circus."

In the qualifying rounds, according to the document, the fifth-seeded team will have the first choice in picking its opponent, with the second-seeded team following with its pick and then the third and fourth. Losing teams will be eliminated after each round.

The team matches will consist of two individual match-play contests and one pairs match-play contest. Each match is worth one point. Ties will be broken by a sudden-death playoff, with the captains picking two players to compete.

The four players on the second-place team will split $10 million, third gets $8 million and fourth takes home $4 million. Teams that finish fifth through eighth will win $2 million each, and teams that are ninth through 12th get $1 million each.

"It's not competitive," the PGA Tour player said. "The real competitive golfers, the guys who play on the PGA Tour and compete in majors, it's why they're just not interested in this nonsense."

LIV Golf CEO and commissioner Greg Norman will grant as many as 12 exemptions to players to compete in the team championship. The next 24 participants will be determined by the leading players in the individual rankings who competed in at least four regular-season tournaments, and the remaining 12 places will go to the highest ranked players in the Official World Golf Ranking on Oct. 17, provided they have participated in at least three LIV Golf events.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:41 am 

Sounds like they paid Fox Sports enough money to broadcast their product on FS1.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

Its a circus is right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
T-Bone wrote:
Kind of an interesting turn.... Hilarious they are willing to pay for their own air time

LIV Golf is nearing a deal to purchase air time for its tournaments on U.S. cable television, multiple sources have told Golfweek. The potential agreement — which is still being finalized — is with Fox Sports 1.

While media companies typically pay sports leagues a substantial rights fee to air their products, the deal would not see LIV receive payment, said a source familiar with the discussions. Instead, LIV — which is controversially financed by the Saudi Arabian regime’s Public Investment Fund — would buy time on the cable channel to air its events, a move that will be widely interpreted as a failure to attract serious commercial interest in what it is offering.

Just two weeks ago, the CEO of LIV, Greg Norman, said he was fielding intense interest from media companies eager to broadcast LIV tournaments.

Reminds me of past (and future) Blackhawks deals.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:58 am 

I have to call some bullshit if he shows up for the LIV event next weekend. Not only are they taking deserving spots away from competitors on the DP World Tour but to pull out of the event late in the game puts another guy who really wants to be there at a huge disadvantage. Good luck with your $750 million lawsuit against the Golf Channel you asshole.

Hotel issue forces Patrick Reed to withdraw from latest DP World Tour event

Patrick Reed has dealt with some criticism over the past few months for choosing to play in DP World Tour events after making the controversial move to join LIV Golf.

When the former Masters champion made his decision, he made comments about wanting to spend more time with his kids.

“It wears on you as an athlete, wears on you as a person, as a father, and this is for me, I feel like this is the best decision ever,” Reed said at the time. “Now I can compete at the highest level, but also prepare and get ready for every single event and be able to be home, and even though I’ll be grinding at home getting ready, I’ll be able to spend time with the kids.”

Since the move, Reed has played in four events in September and was scheduled to play his fifth consecutive event this week at the DP World Tour’s Alfred Dunhill Links.

However, Reed withdrew from the tournament on Monday due to back pain.

According to the 32-year-old, his mattress at the Versailles hotel during the Open de France was too soft and it caused an injury.

“The mattress was just too soft for me,” Reed said in an interview with Bernie McGuire from the Irish Golfer.

“I played well in the pro-am but the pain in my back was getting worse.

“It’s disappointing as I was looking forward to coming back to France after being there for the Ryder Cup.”

Reed added: “I first played the Dunhill Links back in 2011. It was my first European Tour event, so that’s another event I was looking forward to playing.”

He’s scheduled to tee it up once again at LIV Bangkok beginning on October 7th.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am 
100000 CLUB

He might be the biggest douche on tour. Now I can understand with Spieth decided not to play with him at the Ryder Cup.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:26 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5AvHSk_XM

Best shot I have seen in a while. Very beginning of the video shows his predicament. He gets a drop but if you skip to 2:30 you can see how he recovers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:58 am 

It appears that Patrick Reed bounced back from his withdrawal at the DP Tour event due to a bad mattress to finish 2nd and pocket $2.125 million dollars. To put this in perspective the winner of the Masters this year won $2.7 million.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:07 am 

T-Bone wrote:
It appears that Patrick Reed bounced back from his withdrawal at the DP Tour event due to a bad mattress to finish 2nd and pocket $2.125 million dollars. To put this in perspective the winner of the Masters this year won $2.7 million.

Maybe now he'll spend more time with his family.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:26 pm 

Not followed and I am a golf nerd, but Langer just won his 44th Senior event, incredible. I never fathomed that Hale Irwin at 45 would be approached, now it seems hopefully it will be tied.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:47 pm 

Tiger/Rory v. JT/Spieth in "The Match" this year under the lights on December 10th. This will be great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:15 am 

I knew it.... Franky has me on ignore :cry:

viewtopic.php?f=152&t=128971

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:17 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

Well, I have to say this is not cool.

Quote:
Golfweek has confirmed that both Roger Maltbie and Gary Koch won’t be returning to NBC/Golf Channel broadcasts in 2023. The network told Maltbie and Koch the decision was made to “refresh” the team for the future. Maltbie and Koch had been with NBC Sports full-time since 1992 and 1999, respectively, making this a major transition point for a network heavily invested in the golf space.

“Roger and Gary have been synonymous with NBC Sports’ golf coverage for decades, having educated and entertained multiple generations of viewers and having made some of the most memorable calls in the history of the game,” said Golf Channel Executive Producer Molly Solomon via a statement to Golfweek. “Their professionalism and prowess is only exceeded by their character as they have been great teammates and friends to so many of us here. We will be honoring their careers during our coverage of the PNC Championship in December.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:33 am 

I didn't know Maltbie wasn't supposed to be back this year until Bones decided to go work for Thomas full time. 2021 was supposed to be his last year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:42 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Well, I have to say this is not cool.

Quote:
Golfweek has confirmed that both Roger Maltbie and Gary Koch won’t be returning to NBC/Golf Channel broadcasts in 2023. The network told Maltbie and Koch the decision was made to “refresh” the team for the future. Maltbie and Koch had been with NBC Sports full-time since 1992 and 1999, respectively, making this a major transition point for a network heavily invested in the golf space.

“Roger and Gary have been synonymous with NBC Sports’ golf coverage for decades, having educated and entertained multiple generations of viewers and having made some of the most memorable calls in the history of the game,” said Golf Channel Executive Producer Molly Solomon via a statement to Golfweek. “Their professionalism and prowess is only exceeded by their character as they have been great teammates and friends to so many of us here. We will be honoring their careers during our coverage of the PNC Championship in December.”

I don't disagree that it might be time to freshen up the voices. My concern is who they throw in there as the next voices. CBS made some changes and brought in Colt Knost who is awesome. I have been enjoying his Subpar golf podcast when I go to the gym. I think you'd enjoy it Frank. Another guy NBC could try to look at is Mark Wilson. I am an unabashed fan of his as I used to compete against him when I was a kid in Wisconsin but he has done some solid work covering golf, just not sure he would want to be an on course reporter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:57 pm 

Mark, David Roesch and my brother in law used to travel around together on the Hooters Tour back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:21 pm 

"Better than most...better than most!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:50 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Mark, David Roesch and my brother in law used to travel around together on the Hooters Tour back in the day.

That’s cool. He’s a good guy. Not sure he’d be edgy enough if that’s what they are looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:27 am 

Tiger WD'd from the Hero tournament this weekend with Plantar fasciitis. Bummer. Sounds like he is still going to be in for The Match and also the father son tournament next month because he will be able to use a cart. Was really looking forward to seeing what kind of progress he's made.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:26 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Tiger WD'd from the Hero tournament this weekend with Plantar fasciitis. Bummer. Sounds like he is still going to be in for The Match and also the father son tournament next month because he will be able to use a cart. Was really looking forward to seeing what kind of progress he's made.

Sounds like the end is nigh. I guess we all new it was coming.
Quote:
Woods felt he was making progress in the months after the British Open, only to hurt his right foot while trying to prepare for a 72-hole event in the Bahamas.

“When you get plantar fasciitis, the worst thing you can do is walk, and I was walking more and more and more, trying to get my legs ready for this event, and I just kept making it worse,” he said. “So had to shut it down.”

He said he would take a month or two to rest, which won't affect his golf schedule because he wasn't going to play that much, anyway.

This has been coming. Woods turns 47 on Dec. 30, and he has had roughly as many surgeries as majors he was won (15).

“The goal is to play just the major championships and maybe one or two more. That’s it. Physically, that’s all I can do. I told you that (at) the beginning of this year, too,” he said.

“I mean, I don't have much left in this leg, so gear up for the biggest ones and hopefully, lightning catches in a bottle and I'm up there in contention with a chance to win, and hopefully, I remember how to do that.”

I would still take him in a member/guest though.
Quote:
Woods said he was posting low scores at home in Florida while riding in a cart. And his next two events — a made-for-TV match over 12 holes on Dec. 10, and the PNC Championship with his son the following weekend — allow for carts.

“I can hit the golf ball and hit whatever shot you want,” he said. “I just can’t walk.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next