It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:43 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Well this will likely be the last major championship with a full field of the best players in golf for a while. The Masters is still up in the air as to whether they will extend invites to the world's best or even to past champions who are playing on the LIV Tour. Doesn't get much better than playing the Old Course at St Andrews.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Watching a little bit of the Scottish the past two mornings has me hoping the wind is up next week at St. Andrews.

Rory seems to be the bettors choice. I’d like Tiger to contend but watching him hobble around the JP McManus pro am even with carting most holes I’m just not confident he can.

My favorite tournament as it’s great getting up early and watching.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:44 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I'm hoping that the wind blows and the weather gets nasty.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:07 am 

Haven't heard the forecast this week but thought this was funny and wanted to share. I am guessing that Woods REALLY wants to perform well this week. I think this course sets up as well as any he would see in the future as far as a relatively easy walk and a place he knows well. Would be awesome to see him somewhere in the mix on the weekend even though it is very doubtful. Funny situation happened yesterday as described below.....

Despite their good friendship, Woods still had time to drop a brutal joke at the expense of Thomas following their outing on the Old Course on Sunday. In a video that has emerged on social media, the American pair and their teams are shaking hands after their round when the 15-time major champion drops a cheeky jibe about Thomas having never won the Claret Jug.

With a smirk on his face, Woods said to the PGA Champion: “See you tomorrow for the past winners’ event,” and before Thomas even had a chance to respond, the 82-time PGA Tour winner quickly added: “Oh no I forgot, you have never won here.” The 29-year-old followed up by shaking his head and sharing an expletive whilst Woods stood on laughing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
From his recent comments at the McManus presser, I have a gut feeling, and would not be surprised if Tiger announces his retirement sometime later next week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:08 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
He essentially is already 'retired' as a full time player. He can and likely will play the Masters, Open, maybe the PGA, and a couple other events here and there. I could see him making a few stops on the Champions tour as well in a few years.

The days of him playing 20-25 tournaments a year are long gone.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
He essentially is already 'retired' as a full time player. He can and likely will play the Masters, Open, maybe the PGA, and a couple other events here and there. I could see him making a few stops on the Champions tour as well in a few years.

The days of him playing 20-25 tournaments a year are long gone.

Oh, I already knew that, as he has said it himself that he’ll never come close to competing on any full-time (for him) level, but he made it sound like his bad leg still may be in jeopardy to the point that he may still lose it:

“The plan was to play the U.S. Open, but physically I was not able to do that. There's no way physically I could have done that,” he said ahead of Round 2 in Ireland. “I had some issues with my leg and it would have put this tournament [The Open Championship] in jeopardy and so there's no reason to do that.”

Although Tiger spoke optimistically about his body and his game as he made his way gingerly around Adare Manor with the aid of a golf cart, it became abundantly clear that his right leg is still a work in progress. As his opening 71 at the Masters in demanding conditions and his second-round 69 at Southern Hills showed, there’s still tread on those championship tires. But the real question is how many miles remain?

“I don't know. I really don't,” he admitted. “If you asked me last year whether I would play golf again, all of my surgeons would have said no. But here I am playing [three] major championships this year.

“I will always be able to play golf, whether it's this leg or someone else's leg or false leg or different body pieces that have been placed or fused, I'll always be able to play. Now if you say play at a championship level, well, that window is definitely not as long as I would like it to be.”

It was, in retrospect, a wildly refreshing viewpoint from a player who spent the vast majority of his career not allowing himself to glance beyond the moment. It was a unique Tiger tool that allowed him to compartmentalize the avalanche of pressure that comes with being a singular talent – always stay in the moment.

But now, in what he clearly recognizes to be the twilight of his career, perspective can be liberating. Tiger recognizes his limitations, but he’s far from constrained by them.

Perhaps the most encouraging takeaway from Tuesday’s media meet-and-greet was the notion that, despite all his physical restrictions, he still enjoys the process as well as the outcome.

“It's been worth it. It's been hard,” said Woods, a three-time Open champion who has twice won on the Old Course (2000, 2005). “I've had some very difficult days and some days which moving off the couch is a hell of a task, and that's just the way it is.

“I have my own two legs, which I tell you, I'm not going to take it for granted anymore, some people do. But people who have come close or lost a limb understand what I'm saying, but you have difficult days and also you have great days.”

The prioritization of The Open Championship was as calculated as it was convenient. The 150th playing of the game’s oldest major at the Home of Golf would always be worth the effort, but the topographical fact that the Old Course will be the most user friendly of all the courses Tiger plays this year is just as compelling.”’

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:25 am 

He can have my leg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 am 

Currently they are playing a Champions Event and it is really cool. Trevino, Player, Faldo etc are playing on 4 person teams. They have basically shown every player, except 1. Louis hasn't been shown at all playing with Faldo, no love for the LIV.

*They finally showed him on 18.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I can't wait to watch. Could it be Tiger's farewell? Yeah, maybe. At the birthplace of golf that would be fitting. Sounds like the course is playing fast and firm. I don't like all this talk about the players going low and the course being "outdated" for today's players. Who cares what the winning score is? They need to keep playing the Open here every 5-7 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:35 am 

Franky T wrote:
I can't wait to watch. Could it be Tiger's farewell? Yeah, maybe. At the birthplace of golf that would be fitting. Sounds like the course is playing fast and firm. I don't like all this talk about the players going low and the course being "outdated" for today's players. Who cares what the winning score is? They need to keep playing the Open here every 5-7 years.

Nice article in the current Golf Digest with the head superindentent/greenskeeper at the Old Course. He had some interesting things to say about the layout and the things they learned during the pandemic when the course was closed and he had to cut staff severely. They had to let areas go and sounds like he might bring that back in areas, specifically where guys tend to bail out and hope for little or very light and whispy rough. Might be a bit more difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:30 am 
100000 CLUB

So much of The Open generally depends on the weather. If its fair conditions, the scores will be low. If its cool and windy, par will be a good score on MANY holes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:10 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
So much of The Open generally depends on the weather. If its fair conditions, the scores will be low. If its cool and windy, par will be a good score on MANY holes.

The last three events at St Andrews the winner has been -15, -16, and -14. Would be great if it was single digits but if the weather lays down the guys have proven they can tear into it. Current conditions are calling for the following....

Thursday 14 July

As the Championship begins, some brighter spells are forecast for the first two days but there will likely be a fair amount of cloud cover on both days. There are a few small possibilities of rain but likely to remain dry with a high of 19 degrees (Celsius).

High: 19°C (66°F) Low:12°C (54°F).
Winds: W 10-15mph, gusts 20-25mph

Friday 15 July

Thursday looks set to remain dry while on Friday there is a likely chance of rain in the morning. Importantly for the players, both Thursday and Friday look breezy throughout, with west to southwesterly winds most likely. This will mean the winds will be coming off the players left hand side, and into on the front nine, and down and off the right on the back.

High: 19°C (66°F) Low:12°C (54°F).

Saturday 16 July and Sunday 17 July

Over the weekend, we could be set for a glorious finish to The 150th Open, with a potential transition from changeable conditions to largely dry and warmer weather. Winds are projected to be turning southerly, adding further complexities to the already challenging Old Course...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:12 pm 

It's odd, I'm not a golfer and have normally hated the Masters. But I love watching the Open at St. Andrews. Maybe it's a tradition thing, maybe it's due to how unusual the course and it's history are.

It would be fitting for Tiger to retire when he finishes this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:22 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
It's odd, I'm not a golfer and have normally hated the Masters. But I love watching the Open at St. Andrews. Maybe it's a tradition thing, maybe it's due to how unusual the course and it's history are.

He has said he isn't retiring, he just knows he isn't playing 18 events a year anymore. He will play the Majors and maybe a couple of others that mean a lot to him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:35 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Pretty cool to watch them play on the same ground where they started playing the game 600 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:09 pm 

Pins are cut extremely tight, don't short side yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:28 am 

Going to catch some 3am coverage this morning before heading out for a round before work. I’m in the home office next two days so will get quite a bit of the early round coverage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:47 am 

Thanks for flying over Tiger.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Unpopular take here…I love the history and all that, but a major course where guys shoot in mid to low 60s is a bit candyass. 30 under doesn’t feel like a great test for these guys.

Can’t they set up the course to make things more challenging?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:18 am 
100000 CLUB

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:20 am 

The course must have been very gettable earlier today, the breeze has picked up some and it is not playing the same now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Crap, I took Cameron Smith for low Cameron.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:31 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Unpopular take here…I love the history and all that, but a major course where guys shoot in mid to low 60s is a bit candyass. 30 under doesn’t feel like a great test for these guys.

That is kind of the rub with this tournament at times when the weather is "too nice". The greens are much slower on these courses because the slopes and wind would never hold a ball while putting when it does get very windy. Cameron Young is a very good young player but having not been in this position before and going out a bit later in the day tomorrow, he'd do well to even break par if conditions are like they have been this afternoon over there. No one is going to be 30 under by Sunday afternoon. In fact the lowest 72 hole score in the history of The Open is -20.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:32 pm 

I havent been able to pay much attention today. Saw some blurb earlier about Tiger struggling. But holy fuck, +6 on the opening round? Yikes.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

He was in one of the final groups and the wind had kicked up much more so than the early groups. Plus he has one and a half legs at best.

And he still has 5 holes to play :lol: Could easily be +9 or +10 by round's end.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RFDC wrote:
I havent been able to pay much attention today. Saw some blurb earlier about Tiger struggling. But holy fuck, +6 on the opening round? Yikes.

Was he finding bunkers or just overall shitty?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:37 pm 

pittmike wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Found a divot off of the 1st tee, dumped it in the hazard and made double. Down hill from there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:42 pm 

pittmike wrote:
RFDC wrote:

As Hawg said, he had a bad start. He hit some pretty wayward shots at times when I watched and his putting was pretty poor. Had a very noticeable limp on the back nine. Hoping to watch him cross the bridge on 18. Maybe the last time he plays at St Andrews at The Open. I can’t see him continuing to play in majors except maybe Augusta if he plays like this. Just seems like it’s physically too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
One of these golfers shot 1 over par today, the other one is Tiger Woods: