It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I will tune in but don't have an issue of turning it off if the golf is not very competitive or good. Dec 10th only has the Army vs Navy football game going, so a pretty good job of scheduling.

The next iteration of “The Match,” the popular made-for-TV series on Turner Sports, will pit new business partners Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy against friends and Presidents Cup teammates Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas on Dec. 10.

The seventh iteration of the exhibition series will start at 6 p.m. under the lights at Pelican Golf Club in Belleair, Florida, a suburb of St. Petersburg.

This will be the third appearance in “The Match” for Woods, who helped launch the concept when he took on Phil Mickelson in 2018. Woods and Peyton Manning defeated Mickelson and Tom Brady in “The Match” in 2020, when the world was reeling from the Covid crisis and fans had few other options when it came to televised live sports.

Woods and McIlroy have combined for 105 PGA TOUR victories, 19 majors and five FedExCup titles, and are business partners in TMRW Sports, which is focused on “building technology-focused ventures that feature progressive approaches to sports, media, and entertainment.”

In August, they announced a new tech-infused golf league in tandem with the PGA TOUR.

Spieth and Thomas have been friends since their junior golf days and are coming off a 4-0-0 performance as teammates at the Presidents Cup at Quail Hollow, where the U.S. Team won. Each won once last season, with Thomas picking up his second PGA Championship title.

Neither has played in “The Match,” although Thomas was an on-course commentator in 2020.

McIlroy got his 23rd and most recent victory at THE CJ CUP in South Carolina last month, part of a banner 2022 that has seen him return to world No. 1. He also won a record third FedExCup title in August despite starting six strokes back and opening with a triple-bogey.

Woods, 46, is still recovering from injuries sustained in a car crash in early 2021. In limited action, he made the cut and finished 47th at the Masters Tournament, then made the cut against at the PGA Championship at Southern Hills. Alas, after a third-round 79 he was in too much pain to continue and withdrew. He missed the cut at the Open Championship at St. Andrews.

But while it’s been a quiet year, competitively, it’s not over yet.

The winner of 82 PGA TOUR titles, including 15 majors, Woods will host the unofficial Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas in early December but has not said if he will play. He also could tee it up again with son Charlie at next month’s PNC Championship.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I am gonna have to tune in for Tiger, plus they are all buddies, so the potential shit-talking should be entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:12 pm 

5pm tomorrow night. Spieth and Thomas are slight favorites which is not surprising. I think everyone likes each other in this match so not really sure how edgy it will be or if there will be any decent trash talking. I've not really watched much golf since the British Open so I will probably check it out for at least a little while, don't think there is a whole lot else on the sports landscape this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:43 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
They should do one with Jordan, Barkley, LeBron, and Steph.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:52 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

I don't think Jordan and Barkley would be on the same golf course with each other. M-Jeff not a fan of Barkley anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:47 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

I don't think Jordan and Barkley would be on the same golf course with each other. M-Jeff not a fan of Barkley anymore.

Barkley and MJ not really friends anymore. He was interviewed in the last issue of Golf Digest.

I also don't see MJ getting out there and potentially getting beat soundly by Steph, who I believe is a better golfer than he is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:49 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Barkley and MJ not really friends anymore. He was interviewed in the last issue of Golf Digest.

I also don't see MJ getting out there and potentially getting beat soundly by Steph, who I believe is a better golfer than he is.

Jordan has been pissed at him for about 10 years because Barkley called him out as a shitty owner, which Barkley is correct about.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Chuck is a shitty owner of zero Championship rings :lol: :lol: :lol:

You tell him I said that!! :lol: :lol:

Am I doing this right?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:27 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Chuck is a shitty owner of zero Championship rings :lol: :lol: :lol:

You tell him I said that!! :lol: :lol:

Am I doing this right?

Close enough.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I will definitely be watching. Tiger said the smack talk might be muted because there are words they can't say on TV anymore, but that they would say in a private game.

Quote:
"The chatter is good, but it's not quite like the chatter we'd normally have amongst ourselves because in today's day and age there are certain things and certain words you just can't use," Woods said in a virtual press conference. "As these guys know, my vocabulary is very limited in that regard. Certain verbs and nouns and adjectives, you just can't use."

JT fronted the obvious.
Quote:
"It's kind of hard to smack talk them," Thomas said, referring to McIlroy and Woods. "I feel like on the first tee Jordan and I just need to get it out in the open that, 'OK, you guys have more majors than us, more FedEx Cups than us, you both have an airplane and we don't.' Let's just get that out in the open and that way we don't get it used against us during the match."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:58 pm 

Will be interesting with everything going down under the lights.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
T-Bone wrote:
Will be interesting with everything going down under the lights.

It’s a neat little wrinkle.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:06 pm 

The back and forth is worth watching. I hope. As I get older I just want to laugh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:53 pm 

Big Fan so far

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:59 pm 

Jordan roasted Bryson. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:40 pm 

Night golf is cool but not sure how you figure it out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Hawg Ass wrote:

I’m at a point in my golf career that I could play underwater during an eclipse and wouldn’t get much worse.

Night v day means nothing

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:56 pm 

Also, M-Jeffs guy Harold Varner left for Liv and Chuck is still a part of PGA Tour broadcast.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:05 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

I’ve been wondering about that myself. But it’s nice to see these guys having fun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:50 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Jordan roasted Bryson. :lol:

I missed that. What did he say?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
How many groomers are there?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:38 am 

I tuned out pretty early although it was pretty cool to watch. I didn’t really like to see Tiger dragging his leg around and I didn’t see him hit many quality shots the first 5 holes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Golf?...that's a firm no for me.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:08 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I tuned out pretty early although it was pretty cool to watch. I didn’t really like to see Tiger dragging his leg around and I didn’t see him hit many quality shots the first 5 holes.

Yeah, he was hurting and said he hadn't played in over 2 weeks going into the event.

Colin Montgomerie recently said this. Maybe this helps explain why you never won a major, asshole. You didn't have the drive to compete.

Quote:
"That was the time," Montgomerie told Bunkered. "Stand on that bridge, start waving, and everyone goes, 'So, is that it?' Yeah, it is. It would have been a glorious way to go. The stands were full, the world’s TV cameras—from all continents—were on him, he’s walking up there on his own, tears were in his eyes obviously . . . you can’t beat that walk. I’ve done it myself. When the stands are full, you cannot beat that walk."

Montgomerie, who recently had a lively appearance on our very own The Loop podcast, added, "That was the time for Tiger to say, 'Okay, I bow out.'"