It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: CFMB 2023 Golf Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Most of us probably haven't touched a club in a solid month or more. Just thought I would get a thread going for next year. Probably will dust off the clubs in a month or so and start playing a little virtual golf. Anyone buying new gear, have any golf goals, plans to play any bucket list courses in 2023?

I'll be in Vernon Hills this weekend and will probably stop into Golf Galaxy and PGA Superstore and pick through the used clubs that some people have probably cashed in. I have a gap in the bag between 4 hybrid at 21 degrees and 5 iron at 27 degrees it would be nice to find a solution for. Not sure if that means another hybrid or a long iron. Having 3 hybrids in the bag would make me feel pretty old but they are pretty easy to hit so probably shouldn't care that much. Always looking at new irons but they have gotten so expensive the past few years so just keep plugging along with what I have.

No bucket list trips planned as this point. My buddy is moving down to Louisville this spring so maybe drive down there for a long weekend and try to play or something. There are still a few courses in WI and IL I'd like to hit, but probably nothing I would consider bucket list. Hard to go into my pocket for golf when I buy a membership that is paid for and also hard to spend more than $300 for an afternoon of golf.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
No out of the ordinary trips for me nor purchases. I would like to one day cure the slice once and for all before I die.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:38 am 

pittmike wrote:
No out of the ordinary trips for me nor purchases. I would like to one day cure the slice once and for all before I die.

Not sure if this will help you but this is essentially my swing thought with my driver off the tee. It' really helped me a lot from bringing the club way inside on the takeaway and then pushing it way outside on the way through creating a big sweeping hook. if you have a slicing issue I would think it would help you even more dramatically. Only referencing the figure 8. Didn't look at the other tips. It also doesn't have to be nearly as dramatic as Trevino, but should get the club headed directly through or even slightly to the right of your target. In my mind I am taking it way outside but in reality it is probably just outside the line of straight back.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/l ... r-AA14Q0gc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:34 am 

Thanks I’ll bookmark that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:52 pm 

Just because I am bored, if I did have a list of mid-level bucket list courses in IL and WI that haven't been hit by me it would be:

ILLINOIS
Ravisloe CC
Highlands of Elgin
Aldeen GC - I played in college but don't remember it

WISCONSIN
The Bull at Pinehurst Farms
University Ridge
The Club at Lac La Belle
The Brute - Lake Geneva
Brown Deer Park

True Bucket listers I'd like to get to -- Pinehurst #2 & #4, Bethpage Black, Tobacco Road, all the courses in Bandon, OR, Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:27 pm 

I never played Pebble Beach but walked around a few times. It is so grand it seems overwhelming. My BIL played it in a corporate thing. He said it was great but he wasn’t a golfer enough to appreciate it. I certainly would love to.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:45 pm 

All this golf talk got me looking online. Picked up a 5 hybrid in the loft I needed. Actually found it on Callaway Preowned website. Epic Super Hybrid in supposedly good condition. They were $400 brand new and I got this one for $145 and the $10 shipping. Could end up being a steal. Highly recommend checking it out, Pretty sure TaylorMade preowned clubs are sold on Globalgolf.com as well. I can’t stand paying retail for clubs anymore.

https://pluggedingolf.com/callaway-epic ... id-review/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:12 pm 

All the clubs I get are gently used. Except my putter was a gift.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
Just because I am bored, if I did have a list of mid-level bucket list courses in IL and WI that haven't been hit by me it would be:

ILLINOIS
Ravisloe CC
Highlands of Elgin

WISCONSIN
University Ridge
The Club at Lac La Belle
The Brute - Lake Geneva
Brown Deer Park

True Bucket listers I'd like to get to -- Pinehurst #2 & #4, Bethpage Black, Tobacco Road, all the courses in Bandon, OR, Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill,

I played Highlands of Elgin this fall. It was a super windy day which makes links golf interesting. I'd like to go back on a nice summer day. I play Aldeen about 5 times each summer. Being a park district course sometimes the conditions are hit or miss. They really need to re-do their bunkers. The Brute was a fun track.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:46 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

ILLINOIS
Ravisloe CC
Highlands of Elgin

WISCONSIN
University Ridge
The Club at Lac La Belle
The Brute - Lake Geneva
Brown Deer Park

I played Highlands of Elgin this fall. It was a super windy day which makes links golf interesting. I'd like to go back on a nice summer day. I play Aldeen about 5 times each summer. Being a park district course sometimes the conditions are hit or miss. They really need to re-do their bunkers. The Brute was a fun track.

I probably mentioned it last year but it would be fun to try to get together and play in 2023. Always have high hopes of doing it and when it comes down to it, just easier for me to tee it up at home around 6am and be done by 8:30. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
My bucket list for this year is to play four rounds this summer in the Canadian maritimes - PEI, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. The only annoying thing will be dodging all the New Englanders who summer in Maine and make a mess of things. I looked into the cost of an airport hotel for a weeknight in Portland in August as I was doing some high level budgeting, and they were all $300+ for the Fairfield/Hampton/Holiday Inn level.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:04 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
My bucket list for this year is to play four rounds this summer in the Canadian maritimes - PEI, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. The only annoying thing will be dodging all the New Englanders who summer in Maine and make a mess of things. I looked into the cost of an airport hotel for a weeknight in Portland in August as I was doing some high level budgeting, and they were all $300+ for the Fairfield/Hampton/Holiday Inn level.

Sounds like a fun experience. I get e-mails from Sand Valley and also started getting some from their other properties ( Bandon Dunes and Cabot Cape Breton ). The Cabot property is in Nova Scotia and looks incredible. I have no immediate plans to get out that way but the golf looks amazing. https://cabotcapebreton.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:23 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

Sounds like a fun experience. I get e-mails from Sand Valley and also started getting some from their other properties ( Bandon Dunes and Cabot Cape Breton ). The Cabot property is in Nova Scotia and looks incredible. I have no immediate plans to get out that way but the golf looks amazing. https://cabotcapebreton.com/

The Cabot property looks amazing and I'd be miserable because I don't have enough carry off the tee. I don't think they allow carts unless you are disabled. I have a link to a Golf Digest article on Canadian courses somewhere in my notes, we will probably play a course in New Brunswick, then two in PEI, then one in Halifax and one in northern Maine. 5 rounds in 8 days, use the other three for sightseeing and rain backup.

First I have to get back on the course. We are having a cold snap here through the end of the year, highs aren't getting above 47 unless it rains, so getting to an outdoor range is challenging. I need to research domes down here, but this area is light on practice facilities in general.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:39 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

ILLINOIS
Ravisloe CC
Highlands of Elgin

WISCONSIN
University Ridge
The Club at Lac La Belle
The Brute - Lake Geneva
Brown Deer Park

I probably mentioned it last year but it would be fun to try to get together and play in 2023. Always have high hopes of doing it and when it comes down to it, just easier for me to tee it up at home around 6am and be done by 8:30. :lol:

I know, it's so easy to fall into a golf routine. Maybe we need to get a foursome put together to make the commitment. I'm sure Spiral would join us -although he thinks I blew him off the fall.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:49 pm 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

ILLINOIS
Ravisloe CC
Highlands of Elgin

WISCONSIN
University Ridge
The Club at Lac La Belle
The Brute - Lake Geneva
Brown Deer Park

I know, it's so easy to fall into a golf routine. Maybe we need to get a foursome put together to make the commitment. I'm sure Spiral would join us -although he thinks I blew him off the fall.

Let’s revisit this in the spring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:09 am 

T-Bone wrote:

The Cabot property looks amazing and I'd be miserable because I don't have enough carry off the tee. I don't think they allow carts unless you are disabled. I have a link to a Golf Digest article on Canadian courses somewhere in my notes, we will probably play a course in New Brunswick, then two in PEI, then one in Halifax and one in northern Maine. 5 rounds in 8 days, use the other three for sightseeing and rain backup.

First I have to get back on the course. We are having a cold snap here through the end of the year, highs aren't getting above 47 unless it rains, so getting to an outdoor range is challenging. I need to research domes down here, but this area is light on practice facilities in general.

My mom is in Charlotte and said it has been very rainy and miserable of late. Your trip sounds great and always wonderful to have something to look forward and work towards. I'm getting the golf itch earlier than I ever have before and need to start getting to the virtual golf in early 2023.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:53 am 

Made a virtual tee time for Jan 1st @9am. My buddy is convinced we can play 18 in an hour. Pretty sure they do auto putting depending on how close you are, or maybe it’s random, I’m not sure. Looking forward to taking a few swings with my new hybrid and hang out a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:21 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Made a virtual tee time for Jan 1st @9am. My buddy is convinced we can play 18 in an hour. Pretty sure they do auto putting depending on how close you are, or maybe it’s random, I’m not sure. Looking forward to taking a few swings with my new hybrid and hang out a bit.

I've been thinking of getting somewhere and doing that myself. Time to start swinging again. And auto putt is the best way to do it. The putting isn't realistic and who cares what your "score" is at the end. It's all about getting in some swings. I have one of those Perfect Putting mats at home if I want to practice putting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

ILLINOIS
Ravisloe CC
Highlands of Elgin

WISCONSIN
University Ridge
The Club at Lac La Belle
The Brute - Lake Geneva
Brown Deer Park

I think Bowes Creek edges out Highlands as the better course

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:25 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I've been thinking of getting somewhere and doing that myself. Time to start swinging again. And auto putt is the best way to do it. The putting isn't realistic and who cares what your "score" is at the end. It's all about getting in some swings. I have one of those Perfect Putting mats at home if I want to practice putting.

No I tend to agree with you on the putting. Was looking at X-Golf by me and it is $40 an hour during the week, $50 on Fridays and $60 on weekends. Happens to be $22.50 per 30 minutes at my course where they have 2 bays set up in the clubhouse. Initially was hoping to just go for 30 and hit through my bag and record some of the data but playing with a friend sounds more enjoyable. I'll likely go back later and do the range session. Really just like to get stretched out and the golf muscles going early this season. I have been lifting but likely not enough to make any difference in distance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:50 am 

Wife got me a new TM cart bag. Nice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:59 am 

pittmike wrote:

Nice. Been enjoying a Titleist one the last 3-4 years. Can easily put a jacket or anything else I need in there. If you wanted to put beers in there shouldn't be any issue fitting 6 or more easily. I keep a small carry bag in the off chance I play a nice bucket list course and take a caddy, carry or push cart it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:16 am 

I never carry a bag. If I walk I have my own push cart so this works well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Our son showed us some pictures of the round he played last month in Kuwait-quite an experience. Started out with rented clubs- they gave him a bag full of Titleist blades, he guessed they were about $1400 new...

Rented clubs, unfamiliar course, greens cut tall like our fare ways and he hasn't played twice this calendar year due to his work, still broke 90. 'Let' his boss beat him by two, as well, smart kid.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
pittmike wrote:

Does it have a likeness of Tall Midget on the bag, or just his logo?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:33 am 

K Effective wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Does it have a likeness of Tall Midget on the bag, or just his logo?

His likeness of course. He is my guy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:05 pm 

Played 18 at Pinehurst #8 this morning. The auto putt feature is a time saver but totally unpredictable. Hit the ball ok for not touching a club in almost 3 months. Probably start going virtually every other week to get back into it. Wish I had a cage at home honestly. Somehow I carded a 69 today from 7100 yards. :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:04 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Played 18 at Pinehurst #8 this morning. The auto putt feature is a time saver but totally unpredictable. Hit the ball ok for not touching a club in almost 3 months. Probably start going virtually every other week to get back into it. Wish I had a cage at home honestly. Somehow I carded a 69 today from 7100 yards. :scratch:

For about ten seconds I was like "wtf he didn't let me know, I could be in Pinehurst in 90 minutes for a beer.". Took me a second for the "auto putt" to click in. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:55 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

For about ten seconds I was like "wtf he didn't let me know, I could be in Pinehurst in 90 minutes for a beer.". Took me a second for the "auto putt" to click in. :)

I’d love to make it out there in the next few years. The auto putt was funny because the computer gave me a one putt for almost everything inside 15 feet and my buddy had a number of three putts from the same feature

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:27 pm 

I went to an indoor place yesterday. Yikes. I need to go back. Not good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next