It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
RFDC wrote:
TBone, I am constantly amazed and a little envious at your devotion to golf. 54 rounds in a year is awesome. I don't think I have played 54 rounds in the last 5 years :lol:

If I get in 72 holes next week like planned, the total will be 62 rounds for all the courses I've teed it up at this year. I'm really not like this with anything else in my life, definitely takes a commitment of getting up early every weekend from April until end of September. There is some motivation after I buy my yearly pass as well to make it worth my while.

I've got 44 rounds posted. That doesn't count rounds played before we could post, match play matches and the 9 hole league play. Add it all up and I'm probably at about 60. Some guys at my club get in over 100 official rounds. They are retired, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
RFDC wrote:
TBone, I am constantly amazed and a little envious at your devotion to golf. 54 rounds in a year is awesome. I don't think I have played 54 rounds in the last 5 years :lol:

If I get in 72 holes next week like planned, the total will be 62 rounds for all the courses I've teed it up at this year. I'm really not like this with anything else in my life, definitely takes a commitment of getting up early every weekend from April until end of September. There is some motivation after I buy my yearly pass as well to make it worth my while.

I've got 44 rounds posted. That doesn't count rounds played before we could post, match play matches and the 9 hole league play. Add it all up and I'm probably at about 60. Some guys at my club get in over 100 official rounds. They are retired, of course.

Sounds like a very solid season Franky. Sorry I didn't reach out to try and get a round in together. Hopefully next year. It's just hard when I have a locked in 6am tee time and can have my golf in and home by 9am rather than travel anywhere else to play. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
T-Bone wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Got 9 holes in solo behind a couple of foursomes. Nobody behind me so I could really focus on shot strategy. Shot an almost clean 51 on what is a hard course for me (68.4/124 off the senior tees) - a couple of mulligans when I looked up to follow the ball with nobody else around and thus mis-hit. Even had a legitimate par on a par 3 - 3wood, pitch, 3 footer.

My back started tightening up on 8 and 9 and since the back 9 was going to be another 2.25 hours, I decided to stop after 9.

I've become the old guys I used to play with at Billy Caldwell in the late 70s and early 80s. My best drive was 165, but nothing was OB or dribbled 70 feet, even though my two drivers are still from 1997 and 2007. And I was able to hit some solid 3 woods with the Mavrik I bought from Callaway Pre-owned at the end of 2021.

Nice job Chet. Sounds like you could potentially break 100 if you put it all together. That is awesome.

When I was in my late 30s and playing 40+ rounds a year, I was pretty firmly in the 94-98 range on easy courses and 99-105 on difficult ones, off the 6000-6300 yard tees. I stopped playing in Chicago for my last 8-9 years of living there. because my work travel increased and paying $65 for a 6 hour round at a place like White Pines was no longer enjoyable.

But even then, my driving distance was only 160-210 depending on how baked the fairways were. I could drive it 220 when I was in graduate school but the fairway it would land on was always a crap shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:37 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Sounds like a very solid season Franky. Sorry I didn't reach out to try and get a round in together. Hopefully next year. It's just hard when I have a locked in 6am tee time and can have my golf in and home by 9am rather than travel anywhere else to play. :lol:

I know what you mean. We all kind of get into a groove at the home course. I didn't play other courses this year nearly as often as I like to though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:05 am 

Enjoyed my last round at home course Saturday. Teed off by 7:50 and done at 10. Temps were mild and very little wind. 38/33 was way better than I expected to finish the season out there. Leaving Wednesday late morning to visit my buddy in KY and we will try to get in 36 Thursday and 36 Friday before putting the clubs away until 2024. Probably best year I've ever had.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:23 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Has to be one of your best for sure. You generally post good scores in the golf threads, but I don't ever remember reading as many numbers in the 60s and very low 70s as I have this season. I cannot even recall the last time I saw you post an 80. Very well done.

The season was a mixed bag for me with lots of bad shots and shanks. I'm not sure I even had more than one or two birdies for the entire season. Whatever few I had were pretty early on. Got to play the private Crystal Tree Country Club last month and while I enjoyed the pristine conditions, I stopped keeping score after putting up a 63 on the front 9. Played on outing last weekend and didn't hit the ball very well at all. I did putt first almost every hole because I lagged about 7 or 8 up to tap in distance. On all but one hole where we missed the green we used my chip/pitch shot so at least I felt like I contributed a little bit to the -3 score. Really the story of my season. On and around the green was pretty good for the most part. Getting to the green was an adventure more often than not.

Got out for 9 this past Saturday at Oak Hills which very well may have been the swan song for my season. Windy and a bit cool, but not bad overall.
Very scenic with the fall colors at or near peak. It was the first 'nine' in probably year where I didn't have a single shank. Driver had a wicked slice, but just to get the ball in the air and move it along was a victory in and of itself. 3 pars and 2 three putt bogeys on aerated greens made me feel pretty good about my 42. I may have finally figured out what I had been doing wrong, so hopefully I can continue to work on that over the winter. Get the bad habits the fuck out of dodge and put better swings down for next season.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:48 am 

Grew up playing, and played a ton through mid 20's. Work/kids/life took over and played less and less. Barely played the last decade, and not at all the last 3 or 4 years. Kids out of the house now, and spent the last couple weekends trying clubs/getting fitted. Replaced entire bag, except putter. Maybe get a round or 2 in sometime in November (if weather holds), but really looking forward to next spring. In my mind, I'll still be a scratch golfer. My body might disagree......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:11 pm 

casual fan wrote:
Grew up playing, and played a ton through mid 20's. Work/kids/life took over and played less and less. Barely played the last decade, and not at all the last 3 or 4 years. Kids out of the house now, and spent the last couple weekends trying clubs/getting fitted. Replaced entire bag, except putter. Maybe get a round or 2 in sometime in November (if weather holds), but really looking forward to next spring. In my mind, I'll still be a scratch golfer. My body might disagree......

Welcome back to the game. What kind of clubs did you end up pulling the trigger on out of curiosity?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:13 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Has to be one of your best for sure. You generally post good scores in the golf threads, but I don't ever remember reading as many numbers in the 60s and very low 70s as I have this season. I cannot even recall the last time I saw you post an 80. Very well done.

The season was a mixed bag for me with lots of bad shots and shanks. I'm not sure I even had more than one or two birdies for the entire season. Whatever few I had were pretty early on. Got to play the private Crystal Tree Country Club last month and while I enjoyed the pristine conditions, I stopped keeping score after putting up a 63 on the front 9. Played on outing last weekend and didn't hit the ball very well at all. I did putt first almost every hole because I lagged about 7 or 8 up to tap in distance. On all but one hole where we missed the green we used my chip/pitch shot so at least I felt like I contributed a little bit to the -3 score. Really the story of my season. On and around the green was pretty good for the most part. Getting to the green was an adventure more often than not.

Got out for 9 this past Saturday at Oak Hills which very well may have been the swan song for my season. Windy and a bit cool, but not bad overall.
Very scenic with the fall colors at or near peak. It was the first 'nine' in probably year where I didn't have a single shank. Driver had a wicked slice, but just to get the ball in the air and move it along was a victory in and of itself. 3 pars and 2 three putt bogeys on aerated greens made me feel pretty good about my 42. I may have finally figured out what I had been doing wrong, so hopefully I can continue to work on that over the winter. Get the bad habits the fuck out of dodge and put better swings down for next season.

Glad you were able to finish out strong. Sounded like it was a frustrating season from your updates during the year. Gotta be tough with a young family at home to get out as much as you'd like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:42 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Welcome back to the game. What kind of clubs did you end up pulling the trigger on out of curiosity?

Callaway Paradym Driver, Fairway, Hybrid
Ping G430 irons (4i thru PW)
Ping Glide 4.0 wedges
Putter is a Ping Anser 3 that I've had 30 years. Just like it.

The irons are more "forgiving", less "shotmaking" than I have played in the past (very far away past), but I'm looking for consistency over shaping shots all over the course. Really liked how they felt.

Regardless of what I choose, it is rather mindblowing how much technology has changed in a decade+ since I last bought clubs. Back in my day......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:01 pm 

casual fan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Callaway Paradym Driver, Fairway, Hybrid
Ping G430 irons (4i thru PW)
Ping Glide 4.0 wedges
Putter is a Ping Anser 3 that I've had 30 years. Just like it.

The irons are more "forgiving", less "shotmaking" than I have played in the past (very far away past), but I'm looking for consistency over shaping shots all over the course. Really liked how they felt.

Regardless of what I choose, it is rather mindblowing how much technology has changed in a decade+ since I last bought clubs. Back in my day......

That sounds like a really nice set. I played Ping Zing 2 irons in college and have really liked what they've done with their line. I have an old Ping Pal 2 from the early 90s and inherited my dad's Anser from the late 60s when he passed away. Pretty sure you will like the G430 irons. They have the beefed up strong lofts but that isn't a huge deal if they set you up with the Glides in the right lofts. Your PW is 41 degrees as opposed to a traditional 45 or 46.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Getting fitted next week ( finally ) at Sub 70 ( thanks Frank for the recommendation) in Sycamore. Had to shut things down for about 6 weeks as I pulled a rib cage muscle swinging the damn golf club ( hurt like hell . Sneezing , even rolling over in bed were a lot of fun for about 3 weeks ) doc gave me the go ahead to start hitting again couple weeks ago so at least Ive been able to hit at the range and get whatever it is that passes for my swing going again) . Everything Ive read on Sub 70 seems great . Wont break the bank and for my skill level they seem like theyll be a perfect fit .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

699s or 799s?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:39 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
699s or 799s?

If I had to guess, itll be some sort of combo between the 2. Or after looking at my swing a couple times he throws my ass out of the facility saying they cant help me . Its nerve racking and the thought is a little intimidating to be swinging a club in front of someone who knows wtf theyre doing and is going to try and cobble together data on me spraying the ball over the place into some sort of order to get me into some clubs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

I get it, but there was no pressure. I went in the winter and had my whole bag with me. Jason chuckled and just wanted me to swing a 7-iron. After about 10 balls on the simulator, he had me take some half swings with the 799 6-iron, had me strengthen my grip, and the next 10 swings went pretty straight. They know what a 90-100 shooter is going to do, and at that point its all about us hitting better shots and having more fun. For somebody like Tbone or Franky, the fitting would probably be more in depth.

It was a great experience and the customer service was second to none. Just enjoy it and don't be afraid to ask questions.

My one suggestion would be that once you get the new clubs, do NOT hit them off mats. Mats provide a false sense of a shot and you can think you're hitting the ball solid and then once you hit off of grass its chunk city. It may be tuff to have bright, shiny new clubs sit all winter, but I would implore you to hit them off of grass first. If that means waiting until March and actually playing a round with them, so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:27 pm 

Sub 70 had a player make the cut in the Open Championship. I talked with Jason when he got back. He said it was surreal to be walking inside the ropes at Royal Liverpool. His guy played a practice round with Rickie and Collin Morikawa. Jason said they both couldn't have been nicer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
It is going to be 31 here in NC on Thursday morning, so that blows my chance of playing this week. Of course the afternoon weather is going to be gorgeous here this weekend when I am going to be in Chicago instead, and go back into the shitter on Tuesday.

Fucking RR is still messing with me.

The next three months are playable down here when the high ticks over 60, but it is better suited to 9 holes with a 2pm tee time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

Franky T wrote:
Sub 70 had a player make the cut in the Open Championship. I talked with Jason when he got back. He said it was surreal to be walking inside the ropes at Royal Liverpool. His guy played a practice round with Rickie and Collin Morikawa. Jason said they both couldn't have been nicer.
I saw that on their socials. Talk about a once in a lifetime experience. And good for business too :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 am 

Played first round since 2020 yesterday, and broke in the new clubs. Shot 76, but to be fair, it's a really easy par 72 course that I grew up playing. A lot of driver-wedge, driver-9 iron, par 4's. Still, no shots OB, nothing in the water, no 3 putts. Played the par 3's -1, and the par 5's +2, which is completely opposite of normal. Now, probably need to wait until spring to play again......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:50 am 

casual fan wrote:
Played first round since 2020 yesterday, and broke in the new clubs. Shot 76, but to be fair, it's a really easy par 72 course that I grew up playing. A lot of driver-wedge, driver-9 iron, par 4's. Still, no shots OB, nothing in the water, no 3 putts. Played the par 3's -1, and the par 5's +2, which is completely opposite of normal. Now, probably need to wait until spring to play again......

Nice round. No matter how easy the course you still have to get the ball in the hole. Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:58 am 

Franky T wrote:
casual fan wrote:

Nice round. No matter how easy the course you still have to get the ball in the hole. Well done!

WTF ? a 76 after not playing for 3 years ? Thats frigging amazing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:02 am 

casual fan wrote:

That's a great start after not teeing it up for so long. Nice job and glad the clubs ended up working out for you, sounds like you made the right choice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:13 am 

Had my fitting at the 70 . Kevin was great to work with , hell half the fitting ended up being a lesson . Much like the instructor at Mistwood told me during my few lessons , I have trouble at follow thru releasing the damn club and end up stuck , not completing the full turn ending up with my belt buckle
pointed at the target . I was able to do do a few swings like that and the difference when I do it properly is painfully obvious . Much futher distance . “ Your swing isnt as bad as you think it is” he told me more than a few times ( although Im guessing thats more of the “ hey youre cute , if I didnt have a boyfriend id go for a guy like you” stripper line lol) In the video playback of it I somehow manage to keep the swing on plane pretty well. I ended up in the 699 v2’s ( not the pros) with the Lamkin standard grips and the True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff, Steel, Iron Shaft, black heads 5I-PW. I’m definitely going to go back for a couple hybrid clubs a driver and wedges. I should have them in a couple weeks. Thanks again Frank for the more than solid recommendation of these guys. Loved everything about the company, the facility , and the way they do business.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:20 am 
100000 CLUB

Franky T was the guy who turned me/the board on to SUB70 initially. Its a great outfit though. Will definitely be using them in the future for just about any club needs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:54 pm 

Found this pretty interesting..... I know they are supposed to release irons as well.

https://www.golfwrx.com/726904/spotted- ... ming-list/

https://www.golfwrx.com/702096/golfwrx- ... ming-list/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:17 pm 

New clubs arrived !!! Had a chance to christen them to the tune of a…107 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
badrogue17 wrote:
New clubs arrived !!! Had a chance to christen them to the tune of a…107 :lol:

People have played worse. And by people I mean me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:58 pm 

Anecdotally Im thinking that might be my lowest round ever or if not , close to it. :( I hit the irons fine , couldn’t get off the tee for shit or I wouldve broken 100 ( for the first time ) easily.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Honestly those look cheap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Where are your long irons or are you a sissy that hits hybrids?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next