It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
With my new job I’m changing my hours starting Tuesday to allow me time to hit the gym in the morning. I’m 270 now and would like to get under 250 doing at least 45 minutes of cardio and some lifting as well. I go to Planet Fitness so open hours a day during the week. I’ve done good in 2 or 3 day stretches but then take 2or 3 days off so need to work on consistent attendance and ramping up intensity

Last edited by T-Bone on Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I started self guided cardiac rehab a couple of weeks ago. Didn't go last week with the holiday and they are closed until Tuesday, and I'm getting antsy. My doctor wants me going 2 days in a row then staying home and doing strength and flexibility the third, and repeat. One shorter day of about 40 minutes of intervals to focus on increasing the peak levels on each machine, the other day more like 70 at just my recovery levels to build up endurance.

Right now, my peak is 4.8 METS and my recovery is 3.2, both on the treadmill and on the recumbent cross trainer (NuStep).

Weekdays, I'm going at 4pm weekdays so that I can come home and shower and eat and go to bed early and wake up without an alarm the next day. Weekends they close early so I have to go after breakfast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:37 am 

Made it to the gym every morning at 4:45 this week but took this morning off. My legs and hips were really sore but thought it was a good start. I'll get back in there this weekend. Haven't gotten on the scale at all but feel better. Chet how is your routine going after the New Year?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I'm back at it to start the year. After gaining a bunch of weight over past couple years after my back went to crap and I had to have back surgery #8. Can no longer exercise in any capacity other than swimming which is nearly impossible to do with the availability in the area and my schedule.

Despite that, managed to lose 20 lbs before gonig to Israel this summer. Came back and gained it all back plus some. Got up to 241 this week.

Started diet tuesday and am down 5lbs so far. The goal is to keep going till I hit 195. Will probably take me close to the entire year to get this done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:28 am 

shakes wrote:
I'm back at it to start the year. After gaining a bunch of weight over past couple years after my back went to crap and I had to have back surgery #8. Can no longer exercise in any capacity other than swimming which is nearly impossible to do with the availability in the area and my schedule.

Despite that, managed to lose 20 lbs before gonig to Israel this summer. Came back and gained it all back plus some. Got up to 241 this week.

Started diet tuesday and am down 5lbs so far. The goal is to keep going till I hit 195. Will probably take me close to the entire year to get this done.

Sorry to hear the back has let you down again. Hopefully you can get out and golf some this year. Not exactly exercise but I know you enjoy it when able to hit the ball the way you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Good work everyone. A bout of Covid in November slowed me down some before the holidays but I have a marathon next week and a cruise in February so getting back on the horse was required. Some combination of running, free weights and the stationary bike five or six days a week. I am a few lbs up over the summer but that is typical.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I have finally been able to do pull-ups within the last month after breaking my wrist last February and reinjuring it in August. Fishing also didn't let it fully heal but I wasn't going to stop fishing. Anyways, I am back to my daily pushup and pull-up routine and either walking or riding the stationary bike. I'm afraid to step on the scale. I've been on vacation and have been eating way too much especially before bed. Probably over 190 but my pants still easily buckle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:05 am 

Walked 3 miles this morning at a 1.5 incline in 47 minutes. I usually get really bored on the treadmill but am determined to keep doing at least that distance this week. Was able to get into the gym Saturday and did quite a bit of lifting. Hope to be able to do 15 minutes of lifting and then walking each morning but at this point just focused on getting to the gym by 4:45am each day during the week and not fall off the wagon. No notable weight loss yet but eating better and feeling better. Still drinking beer Fri - Sun but not a ton of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I hope Sarah isn't a board member's wife.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:37 pm 

:lol: Nice work JORR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:16 pm 

Second of a back to back, and I managed to get an hour in. I'm just working on endurance on these second days, so not particularly strenuous in terms of resistance or incline. 30 minutes NuStep, 15 treadmill at only 1.5%, 15 flat indoor track.

Off tomorrow, then back on Thu/Fri assuming my SUV only needs new brake pads tomorrow at the mechanic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:17 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Second of a back to back, and I managed to get an hour in. I'm just working on endurance on these second days, so not particularly strenuous in terms of resistance or incline. 30 minutes NuStep, 15 treadmill at only 1.5%, 15 flat indoor track.

Off tomorrow, then back on Thu/Fri assuming my SUV only needs new brake pads tomorrow at the mechanic.

Sounds like you are starting to get after it a little bit. Enjoy the day off tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:30 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

Sounds like you are starting to get after it a little bit. Enjoy the day off tomorrow.

The hardest thing for me to adjust to is that I no longer get paid a substantial salary to live with a totally up in the air schedule (literally), and that I don't need to commute to Chicago three times a month to see my father. Just the action that at 3:30pm Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri that if I didn't play golf that day that I will drop what I'm doing and drive to go work out and drive home, and treat it like a work commute, that has taken some time to get used to.

I just cancelled a trip out to California next week to visit a friend of mine because I want to build up more weeks of habit building before I drive up to Chicago later this winter for a week.

Before my first 2017 valve replacement so probably 2014 when I lost 65 pounds, I could do the 5 mile slightly down hill walk from Wrigley Field to the Federal Building in 2 hours, including stop lights and breaks to pick up Gatorade or take a piss. That's where I want to get back to by the end of this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:02 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I hope Sarah isn't a board member's wife.

mine doesn't have an "h".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:15 am 

down 8 lbs so far this month. On schedule to lose the usual 10 lbs I lose the first month of any diet. Then it slows down to 5 lbs at most per month.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:55 am 

shakes wrote:
down 8 lbs so far this month. On schedule to lose the usual 10 lbs I lose the first month of any diet. Then it slows down to 5 lbs at most per month.

Nice job. I was sick most of last week but back to the gym last two mornings. My weight has not gone up or down this month which has been a little frustrating. I know I need to eat better and drink less beer on the weekends but I feel pretty good. Definitely something going on with my hip if I move or step wrong I usually let out a yelp so not sure if nerve related, muscular, or degenerative issue. It seems to happen randomly so I am not even sure what move I am making that is bringing it on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:20 am 

don't go balls out in january if you have been off schedule during the past few months. you set yourself up for injury and this time of year is the *worst* for losing weight. we are in "hibernation mode", we store more fat this time of year and there's not as much sunlight (especially this winter). keep active and don't look at a scale.

then come march, start going for it. usually the resolutioners burn out by that time because they do the opposite. the key is patience before pushing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:17 pm 

W_Z wrote:
don't go balls out in january if you have been off schedule during the past few months. you set yourself up for injury and this time of year is the *worst* for losing weight. we are in "hibernation mode", we store more fat this time of year and there's not as much sunlight (especially this winter). keep active and don't look at a scale.

then come march, start going for it. usually the resolutioners burn out by that time because they do the opposite. the key is patience before pushing it.

Appreciate the advice. Definitely not pushing it too hard at this point. I was on the treadmill at 4:30 this morning so my biggest challenge is making it to the gym. I've been walking 2-3 miles in the morning at about a 3.8mph pace. I can walk really quickly at 4.0 but have hesitated pushing it to that level. I was doing a 2.0 incline but have dialed that back to 1.5 again in the hopes that maybe it will take some of the stress off of my hips and legs. I have weights at home but haven't been doing them very regularly. Per your words above, I haven't been beating myself up too much for not dropping pounds. If I can stay active and weigh less come spring time than what I was before the holidays I'd be ahead of where I usually am.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:27 pm 

W_Z wrote:

i haven't exercised in over a year and don't plan to start now. I'll be ok. Just losing weight by starvation + no exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:30 pm 

Just be careful with the Ethiopian diet. We need you in the courtroom!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:37 pm 

W_Z wrote:

Keep Jackie Chiles on speed dial in case shakes taps out. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:21 am 

T-Bone wrote:
W_Z wrote:

:lol:

First couple weeks were rough, but the body is getting used to the diet and I no longer feel like I'm gonna pass out several times per day.

Yesterday's menu consisted of 2 protein bars, 1 bowl of chicken dumpling soup, some crackers with hummus, a tea cup of cereal and milk and a handful of dark chocolate covered almonds. Only drank water.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:14 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
W_Z wrote:

:lol:

First couple weeks were rough, but the body is getting used to the diet and I no longer feel like I'm gonna pass out several times per day.

Yesterday's menu consisted of 2 protein bars, 1 bowl of chicken dumpling soup, some crackers with hummus, a tea cup of cereal and milk and a handful of dark chocolate covered almonds. Only drank water.

Sounds like the Brittney Griner diet from Siberia. :eye:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:34 am 

down 9 pounds as of today. On pace to hit my goal of 10 pounds the first month. From there I top out at 5 per month.

protein bar went down nice and easy this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:59 am 

That is really great shakes. I can't seem to make the scale move at all. I am certain that I am not eating as well as I should and I've mentioned a few beers on the weekends. Getting up and getting to the gym by 4:30 am has become much more difficult not seeing any improvement on the scale. I started a new job Jan 2nd and my wife also thinks my cortisol levels have increased which will also make it more difficult. Had no idea that is promotes body fat when you are stressed out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
That is really great shakes. I can't seem to make the scale move at all. I am certain that I am not eating as well as I should and I've mentioned a few beers on the weekends. Getting up and getting to the gym by 4:30 am has become much more difficult not seeing any improvement on the scale. I started a new job Jan 2nd and my wife also thinks my cortisol levels have increased which will also make it more difficult. Had no idea that is promotes body fat when you are stressed out.

as I learned in the past years after denying it for the past 25 years, exercise has very little to do with weight loss. It's all about what you eat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

as I learned in the past years after denying it for the past 25 years, exercise has very little to do with weight loss. It's all about what you eat.

Yep. Biggest thing you can do for yourself is meal plan and stick with it . 1200/ 1500 calories per day and that’s it. If you’re not losing at that point , you’re cheating on it. Throw in some moderate exercise and it comes off faster.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:20 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Yep. Biggest thing you can do for yourself is meal plan and stick with it . 1200/ 1500 calories per day and that’s it. If you’re not losing at that point , you’re cheating on it. Throw in some moderate exercise and it comes off faster.

:(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:29 pm 

Low carb eating has really helped me lose weight.

I never had much success being able to stay at 12-1500 calories. But I can do low carb pretty easy.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:01 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Low carb eating has really helped me lose weight.

I never had much success being able to stay at 12-1500 calories. But I can do low carb pretty easy.

12 calories would be pretty tight :wink: but I can certainly see what 1500 might look like for me. I don't eat a lot in the morning so really just need to split that up over lunch and maybe light snack at night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next