It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Been having foot/ankle issues due to running/hiking daily. Doctor suggested I try alternating biking / hiking / running. This tommaso a good bike brand? Any suggestions for alternatives? Seems like you need to spend at least $700 or so to get a worthwhile bike. would like to stay under $2K.

These are their "adventure" bikes, which I gather combine the worst of mountain/gravel(?) bikes and road bikes. Bad idea to go this way? Better to pick a side and get either road or mountain?

I've had Trek and a couple Cannondale bikes before (one road, two mtn). Two of em got stolen while living in Ukie Village. Currently have a garage sale special that's 169% pure crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Decent sports guy on WGN, went to his comedy shows once, it was a bit forced.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:09 am 

Huffy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Douchebag wrote:
Huffy

Crystal Lake?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:36 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I've never ridden one but I think they're known for being durable.

I'm having my bike guy Danny build me a custom super lightweight single gear road bike. I only have room to store one bike but I've stopped riding in the winter so I don't need a hybrid anymore. I'm too old to be dropping the bike on the ice and that happened at least a few times a year when I rode outside all winter. When he gets this bike built for me, I should be able to flatout fly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:37 am 

Anything but trek. Pure Chinese garbage at a premium price. Know a guy who engineered at the Waterloo plant. They don't make shit there, it's all a facade. The stories are hilarious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:38 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm having my bike guy Danny build me a custom super lightweight single gear road bike. I only have room to store one bike but I've stopped riding in the winter so I don't need a hybrid anymore. I'm too old to be dropping the bike on the ice and that happened at least a few times a year when I rode outside all winter. When he gets this bike built for me, I should be able to flatout fly.

I know nothing about bikes. Why is a single-gear bike desirable?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I know nothing about bikes. Why is a single-gear bike desirable?

I don't think it's desirable for everyone. For me, it's less mechanical shit to go wrong, it's just a simpler bike. Less maintenance and lighter weight. And I'm a strong enough rider that I don't need to drop gears to get up hills.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

IkeSouth wrote:
Anything but trek. Pure Chinese garbage at a premium price. Know a guy who engineered at the Waterloo plant. They don't make shit there, it's all a facade. The stories are hilarious

I rode the same Trek 820 for about 30 years and it was a great bike. I basically rebuilt it twice over that period of time. It eventually got to a point where it didn't make sense to throw more money at it. I bought a new Trek hybrid a couple years ago and it's been nothing but headaches.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:34 pm 

Get a hybrid bike which is made for commuters and you sit in upright position on a more comfortable seat. The Road bikes are very uncomfortable (thin seat) and forward sitting position and you need to wear special padded shorts just to ride the bike. Unless your an avid biker the road bike frame is not for the casual bike rider.

The Cannondale Quick 4 or Quick 5 is a pretty decent hybrid fitness bike:
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/ ... ck/quick-4

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/ ... ck/quick-5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i looked into buying a new bike last fall. I have been running for a long time but decided i'd like to get into some casual light trail riding. nothing technical or crazy, just for fitness. Some of my bike enthusiast friends were helping me pick a good bike, and they were a lot of help, but the bikes they were pointing me towards were way more money than I wanted to part with for a bike, I was surprised at the price tags. I am taller than most (6'4") and apparently my frame does not exactly fit a typical off-the-rack bike you find at the store either. I already own a bike, a 30-year-old Mongoose Maneuver 18-speed that I used to ride a lot, but my son had it at U of I so I was stuck without a bike. I eventually stopped looking and never purchased one. Well, junior came home from school with my old bike and this past weekend i put some new tires on it, bought a new seat, adjusted the brakes a bit and took it for a spin and I realized that this bike is good enough for me. It is heavier than hell and my friends make fun of me since you can lift their with one finger but it performs pretty well, better than ever id say after I tinkered with it a bit. Now my son is mad because he wants it for school and I told him he can't have it.

I guess the moral of my story would be that maybe you should look for a used bike, you may be able to save a ton of money and still get the exercise you want to have, Facebook Marketplace is loaded with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:35 pm 

i love the new ebikes. like the fast ones. i see dudes flying 50mph down the street on them, no helmet or even long pants. same people who tell me my motorcycle is dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

IkeSouth wrote:
i love the new ebikes. like the fast ones. i see dudes flying 50mph down the street on them, no helmet or even long pants. same people who tell me my motorcycle is dangerous.

Those fuckin' things don't belong on bike paths.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

They should give them special lanes on bike paths.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
What goes around comes around.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

They should give them special lanes on bike paths.

They should either replace automobiles or be made illegal.