It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LIV Golf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I don't really see it going anywhere, at least not immediately so figured it may be a good idea to have a thread. I will admit that I eventually tuned into an event or two for maybe 30 minutes at a time. I still don't really see the draw unless you just really want to see some of the guys on that tour. Saw this article and thought a few others out here may find it interesting. I actually think this makes sense for a few guys on the fringes of the PGA Tour. Duff would be a good add for LIV. Chappell was on the cusp of being a young star on the PGA Tour in my opinion but some injuries and inconsistent play kept him back.

Former PGA champion Jason Dufner, Kevin Chappell and Kyle Stanley are among 73 players who signed up for the LIV Golf Promotions qualifier next week in Abu Dhabi, where three spots are up for grabs to be part of the 2024 rosters.

The PGA Tour had said players would not be suspended for playing the qualifier, although they would need to get a media rights release. Players have to request a release 45 days in advance, which left them no time from when the LIV dates were set and the start of the event.

No players are believed to have received a release for the Dec. 8-10 LIV qualifier.

Still unclear was what punishment, if any, PGA Tour members would face for simply trying to qualify. The media rights release was required because unlike European tour qualifying school, the LIV Golf Promotions events is being streamed by LIV Golf Plus and the LIV Golf YouTube channel.

Dufner, who won the PGA Championship in 2013 at Oak Hill and played in the Ryder Cup (2012) and Presidents Cup (2013), was No. 172 in the FedEx Cup this year. He still would have limited status on the PGA Tour as a past champion.

Chappell, who played in the Presidents Cup at Liberty National in 2017, has been slow to return from back surgery. He had limited starts and finished No. 179 in the FedEx Cup. Chappell was not eligible under the LIV Golf Promotions criteria, though they offered invitations.

Dufner and Chappell were among 14 players who received an exemption into the second round.

The first round has 59 players, including Stanley, Chris Stroud and Jeff Overton. The top 20 players after the first round advance to the second round. Scores are reset, and the top 20 advance to a 36-hole shootout on the last day.

Other players who signed up for the LIV qualifier include former Ryder Cup player Victor Dubuisson of France and Turk Pettit, a former NCAA champion who played for LIV the inaugural year and currently is playing the second stage of PGA Tour Q-school.

Post subject: Re: LIV Golf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I read today that Rahm to LIV is a "done deal". For the kind of money they are talking about I can't blame him. Plus he is exempt for the majors for the next 5 years thanks to his Masters win.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:48 am 

I find that interesting.... was hearing rumors but couldn't believe it when he always said the PGA Tour was where he wanted to be. Potentially $300 Million would make almost anyone blink.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I got lost somewhere after the PGA bought or merged with LIV. Or did they suck them up? Regardless, I assumed there would be some return to normalcy but they are going to still keep it a separate tour?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm 

Franky T wrote:
I read today that Rahm to LIV is a "done deal". For the kind of money they are talking about I can't blame him. Plus he is exempt for the majors for the next 5 years thanks to his Masters win.

Sounds like it's done...he's going.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Weren’t the tours supposed to merge, what happened with all that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:04 pm 

Well I won’t be watching him I guess except the Majors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:25 pm 

Sounds like Rahm is getting his own team and there will be more PGA Tour defections. It really seems like the Tour is messing this up by not having solid answers how this potential new Saudi money will be distributed and how the players will benefit. For a guy like Rahm, he has a lifetime invite to Augusta and 5 year exemptions into The Open and the PGA and the next 8 US Opens thanks to his win there. If he can just win one major every 3-4 years he will have the best of both worlds -- tons of money and the ability to play in the majors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:34 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Sounds like Rahm is getting his own team and there will be more PGA Tour defections. It really seems like the Tour is messing this up by not having solid answers how this potential new Saudi money will be distributed and how the players will benefit. For a guy like Rahm, he has a lifetime invite to Augusta and 5 year exemptions into The Open and the PGA and the next 8 US Opens thanks to his win there. If he can just win one major every 3-4 years he will have the best of both worlds -- tons of money and the ability to play in the majors.

Not sure that the Saudi money makes it way to the tour, apparently Cantlay is heavily involved and wants the Tour to partner with another company. It is just hard to care about LIV to me when over half of their events are not played in the U.S., therefore not shown live on TV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Weren’t the tours supposed to merge, what happened with all that?

Not a done deal, yet - just a “framework agreement” that was due to be set in stone by December 31st.

The Rahm move may finally get things moving along.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:10 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

That's the key right there. At this stage of his career the only tournaments he really cares about are the majors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
T-Bone wrote:
I find that interesting.... was hearing rumors but couldn't believe it when he always said the PGA Tour was where he wanted to be. Potentially $300 Million would make almost anyone blink.

Jon Rahm (Summer 2023): “In my case, I’ve been fortunate to make such a great living already that the cash shouldn’t really be a factor. I’ve been very blessed to play so well early on in my career to not have to think about that. Had I made that decision strictly financially, I obviously would’ve gone, but I don’t know if I would’ve been as happy as I’ve been this year. I’m a big historian of the game and I love the legacy that some players have left. When you win certain events, there’s a lot of history that goes with it. Anytime you win an event hosted by Tiger or Jack, you’re joining a legacy that very few can join. It’s beyond the money and the recognition. Unfortunately, LIV Golf doesn’t have that right now. It’s not really the path for me.”Not surprising I guess but a bit disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:33 am 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
As I said months ago it's over one way or another. Either the PGA signs on to the Saudi money or they will have a slow painful death. I'm sure simple Frank won't admit he was wrong again. The Saudis won.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:05 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Jon Rahm (Summer 2023): “In my case, I’ve been fortunate to make such a great living already that the cash shouldn’t really be a factor. I’ve been very blessed to play so well early on in my career to not have to think about that. Had I made that decision strictly financially, I obviously would’ve gone, but I don’t know if I would’ve been as happy as I’ve been this year. I’m a big historian of the game and I love the legacy that some players have left. When you win certain events, there’s a lot of history that goes with it. Anytime you win an event hosted by Tiger or Jack, you’re joining a legacy that very few can join. It’s beyond the money and the recognition. Unfortunately, LIV Golf doesn’t have that right now. It’s not really the path for me.”Not surprising I guess but a bit disappointing.

He said yesterday they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. $300 million + for three years and at least partial ownership of his own team. Money, as usual, talks.

Edit - some reporting $450 million. I like golf as much or more than the next guy but that is insane money.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:36 am 

Latest rumors have Tony Finau and Tyrell Hutton jumping to LIV.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: What??
"A guy got dismembered" has turned into "fuck the guy who got dismembered".

Phl Michelson's off the hook now, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:01 am 

Nardi wrote:

For what?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:01 am 

T-Bone wrote:

Finau's name surprised me. LIV doesn't seem very Mormany.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:38 am 

LIV had all kinds of major names and didn’t attract any eyeballs. Now they’ve spent another half billion on a name and all of a sudden the PGA is doomed?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
LIV had all kinds of major names and didn’t attract any eyeballs. Now they’ve spent another half billion on a name and all of a sudden the PGA is doomed?

Rahm is arguably the most shocking name of the bunch. He is THE biggest current star in pro golf worldwide not named Tiger or Rory. Previous names like Phil (old), Sergio (old, washed, and a brat), Brooks & Bryson (both polarizing in their own way), while big, were not current needle-movers. Rahm may not be by himself, either, but he is LIV’s biggest get to this point, and from his previous stance on the issue, I get the feeling that a factor in his decision is that he feels somehow that an agreement is not far off, and that all the LIV defectors will be back playing PGA events within the next three years…so, why not take the money now, and let any agreement/merger fall into place where he and everyone else will be playing together again, anyway?

His decision opens the floodgates for other high profile PGA players to defect, which will in turn accelerate whatever agreement/merger happens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:58 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:

LIV will never be great here in America when are playing half of your tournaments in time zones we don’t give a shit about. That and they still don’t have a real TV contract.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:19 am 

Franky T wrote:
Nardi wrote:

For what?

“They’re scary motherf–kers to get involved with. We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates."

Everyone agrees now, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Has like 9 kids plus some maybe legal entanglements? Doesnt surprise me .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:41 am 

Nardi wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Nardi wrote:

For what?

“They’re scary motherf–kers to get involved with. We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates."

The Saudis kind of made up their minds that they were going to buy professional golf.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:49 am 

Franky T wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Nardi wrote:

For what?

The Saudis kind of made up their minds that they were going to buy professional golf.

Exactly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:56 am 

What happens to the Range Goats when LIV merges with the PGA?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:56 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Nardi wrote:

For what?

Exactly

And Phil knew it before everyone else. KUDOS!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
What happens to the Range Goats when LIV merges with the PGA?

They will be put out to pasture.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:44 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Ok well I guess he isn't going..... Statement from Finau. I personally think this is a good choice for him and he doesn't have all those automatic qualifiers into the majors.

"The 2023 season is in the books! It was a special and incredible season highlighted with a win at the Mexico Open. It was my 6th Win on the @pgatour. Another highlight was reaching the tour championship for the 7th year in a row! As this year comes to an end I’m grateful to play the game that I love and to have the opportunity to compete at the highest level. I’m excited for 2024 and looking forward to playing my 10th season on the PGA Tour! And stoked to be defending in both Mexico and Houston! Thank you to my partners for your continued support. Thank you to the fans for all the love for our whole Finau fam. See y’all in Maui! #imnotleaving."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

Live look at rahm"s reaction

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.