It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CFMB 2024 Golf Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Just thought I would get the yearly thread started. I noticed that Callaway is out with a new driver ( Paradym Ai Smoke ) and Vokey has come out with the 10th rendition of their popular wedges. Not really in the market for anything new myself this year after some new hybrids and irons last year. I could use some new wedges but I refuse to pay more than $150 for one so would need to find an older model or something.

Probably start hitting balls virtually sometime in February with the hopes of getting out in March but that is definitely weather dependent. I don't see myself moving to a new golf facility this year so will probably plunk down the money for a county pass again. Can't find a place that can beat it for value and decent conditions. Very little travel planned this year so might actually have a chance to get to 70 rounds which would be great. No current plans to knock any bucket list courses off the list but if something were to come up between Wisconsin and Chicago area I might consider it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I am hoping the weather will improve enough to start playing 9 holes again starting February 1. Many of the courses here are open all year, with frost adjustments so the first tee time is usually at 9:30.l in January. But I'm going to be waiting until the high temperatures get into the upper 50s.

My playing goal isn't quite as lofty, but I am hoping to get out for 30 rounds this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Picked up new irons when Callaway Pre owned was running their 24% off sale. Apex TCB with Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX, 4 through A wedge. Planning to hit them on a simulator tomorrow.

Not in the market for a driver as I picked up the Paradym with a Ventus Red 12 degree in August and drove the ball as well as I ever have to finish the season.

Might pick up a new 58 degree wedge, my PM grind from 2019 is starting to show its age and I can’t get like new ones anymore. 5 wood is an Epic Flash which is an automatic 230 yards and 99% of the time in the fairway. I’ve had it probably 5 seasons and would hate cracking the face on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:10 am 

I’ve had nothing but great luck from Callaway Pre-owned site. Always worth a look and they also sell a few other brands as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:34 pm 

I guess I have officially become a bit stir crazy. With all the mild weather we have been getting I will try to get up to Tony Romo's dad's place to hit a bucket of balls this weekend. Planned on waiting until the end of February but might as well just go for it. I haven't done any inside virtual golf all winter and haven't touched a club since the last weekend in October. 40 degrees and they have heaters under the covered bays so it should be painless. I was likely going to use my old set of Mizuno MP-25's for preseason and early season play and then switch over to the T100's probably in May or something. I just feel like I'd be losing too much distance in the cold and the Mizuno is a more forgiving iron early in the season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Just bought 2 pre-owned Cleveland XL Halo 3 and 4 hybrids today from PGA Superstore , $79 apiece which seemed to be a good deal. Faces looked pristine . Hit 15 shots with each , was carrying the 4 170-176 ish , the 3 187-197 which for me is far . Dispersion was great , all but a couple were well within what wouldve been “ playable” on a course . Im still looking to buy a new driver and a couple wedges then Ill be all good to go .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
It's the Phoenix Open that starts giving me the itch to play. Probably because it's Super Bowl weekend and the end of the football season.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:35 pm 

Hit about 75 balls and I was cooked. Oof. Glad I went but those balls were very cold and the wind was blowing in so was thankful for the heater above me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:18 pm 

anyone going to that golf show that’s in Tinley Park this weekend? I’m headed there now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:38 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
anyone going to that golf show that’s in Tinley Park this weekend? I’m headed there now.

Nope but I’d love to hear how it was. I haven’t been to a golf show in 10 years I’d bet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:01 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Nope but I’d love to hear how it was. I haven’t been to a golf show in 10 years I’d bet.

Its ok I guess . Lot of local vendors , pro shops, golf courses . A couple gutter replacement vendors lol. Callaway, Wilson, Srixon have booths with a fitter and you can hit their clubs into a net but they dont have any Trackman set up so its kind of pointless when you cant get numbers . That being said, I am in the market for a new driver. ( I’m certainly not gonna spend $600 on those new Callaway smokes) and I ended up hitting a Wilson Dynapower a few times ( regular flex , 12.5 loft ) felt fucking glorious, I wish I would’ve had some data on how the hits were. Im gaming a 20 yr old Tommy Armour piece of crap and hitting something new felt about 1000% different , much more solid. I guess what I hit would retail for about $450 and the guy from Wilson said there was a vendor there that would knock about 20% off . I promised myself I would give sub 70 a try with the driver first so I need to get out there for a fitting because I’m not quite sure what shaft I should be using, what loft, etc..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:16 pm 

If I ran a powerwashing business, that would be a sales circuit to hit. A golf show would attract a fair amount of guys who would rather pay somebody to take care of it than waste a precious Saturday doing it themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:18 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
If I ran a powerwashing business, that would be a sales circuit to hit. A golf show would attract a fair amount of guys who would rather pay somebody to take care of it than waste a precious Saturday doing it themselves.

Some if the mooks walking around here could use a good power washing themselves, Chet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:34 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Its ok I guess . Lot of local vendors , pro shops, golf courses . A couple gutter replacement vendors lol. Callaway, Wilson, Srixon have booths with a fitter and you can hit their clubs into a net but they dont have any Trackman set up so its kind of pointless when you cant get numbers . That being said, I am in the market for a new driver. ( I’m certainly not gonna spend $600 on those new Callaway smokes) and I ended up hitting a Wilson Dynapower a few times ( regular flex , 12.5 loft ) felt fucking glorious, I wish I would’ve had some data on how the hits were. Im gaming a 20 yr old Tommy Armour piece of crap and hitting something new felt about 1000% different , much more solid. I guess what I hit would retail for about $450 and the guy from Wilson said there was a vendor there that would knock about 20% off . I promised myself I would give sub 70 a try with the driver first so I need to get out there for a fitting because I’m not quite sure what shaft I should be using, what loft, etc..

I totally get what you are saying. The prices on new drivers are insane. I bought two new ones before the pandemic when they were under 400 each. Now I will just look for a driver that is afew models old with the right shaft next time I’m looking. Heard nothing but good things with sub 70.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Joynt, Milan IL
Went and walked 9 in the Illinois Quads today. Course had temp greens but got a chance to put the Apex TCB in play. Early takeaways are the TX shafts are not too stiff, irons are maybe half a club longer and they seemed more fogiving than the Apex Pro 19’s I was hitting the last few years.

Going to southern Illinois for work in two weeks and courses are open down there. May be some local February golf in the picture as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:35 am 

I saw a course in SE Wisconsin is open in Elkhorn just north of Lake Geneva but I am not going to bother with that. Probably hit another bucket this weekend and ease into it a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Made an appointment next Monday for at least driver analysis, track man and alteration etc. etc. Why not? Can't hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:51 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I saw a course in SE Wisconsin is open in Elkhorn just north of Lake Geneva but I am not going to bother with that. Probably hit another bucket this weekend and ease into it a bit.

Evergreen?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:55 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Evergreen?

Yes sir. I think I played there like 25 years ago but don't remember a thing about it. I think they do a lot of outings and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:49 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Evergreen?

Yes sir. I think I played there like 25 years ago but don't remember a thing about it. I think they do a lot of outings and stuff.

I've played in a couple of their 27 hole scrambles before. They are cash games and pay out 1st, 4th, 8th, and 12th place or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:51 am 

I am off this afternoon and will likely drop my putter, driver and wedges into Dick's for some new grips. I have the ability to do it at home but sort of a messy job and I don't trust myself to get the putter grip just right. Staying with a Super Stroke 3.0 as long as they have one in stock. Mid sized MCC+4's for the wedges. Don't really care about color at all. I probably need to re-grip my back up irons that I will start the season with but don't want to pay the $$$ to get 6 more done. Also going to look at buying some Vice golf balls for the early season. I have played Kirklands and Vice in the past but would like to get some of the Pro Plus Drip. The Blue and Orange are always sold out so will likely go another color. I've had good luck with the Vice in the early season and then switch to the Pro V's when the temps start getting warmer. https://www.vicegolf.com/us/vice-golf-p ... avy-orange Also need to buy some tees and have a go to company I like for those. Found out they sell little shorties which I am going to try out this year for par 3's and teeing down hybrids off the tee box. https://westernbirch.com/collections/ba ... 5-shortees Highly recommend these guys if you break a lot of tees. I was busting at least 4-5 a round when buying the cheapos at the pro shop and I often can get through a round without breaking any with these. It's cool that you can get color combos you like as well. Will hit the range again this weekend and try to hit another 70 balls or so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:37 pm 

It's going to be in the low 70s here on Saturday afternoon. I haven't touched a club in two months, so I'm going to brave the hoards at the larger driving range with mats.

We are at the point where the days are long enough to fit in a weekday 9-hole par-3 round once or twice a week when the temperatures make it to the upper 50s and I'm not volunteering at the food pantry. I have a small Sunday bag and for the par-3 course I only need 5 clubs (5/7/9/PW/putter) because their sand traps are useless cement and I'd just drop and chip. So that's my plan for the rest of February.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:24 pm 

Driver, 3 wedges and a putter with grips and install was like $97. Twenty of it was install and that was likely money well spent :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:27 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
It's going to be in the low 70s here on Saturday afternoon. I haven't touched a club in two months, so I'm going to brave the hoards at the larger driving range with mats.

We are at the point where the days are long enough to fit in a weekday 9-hole par-3 round once or twice a week when the temperatures make it to the upper 50s and I'm not volunteering at the food pantry. I have a small Sunday bag and for the par-3 course I only need 5 clubs (5/7/9/PW/putter) because their sand traps are useless cement and I'd just drop and chip. So that's my plan for the rest of February.

That sounds fun Chet. I’d love to play a par 3 course exclusively a few weeks before the season. Would help with the short game which is always the last thing to come around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
pittmike wrote:
Made an appointment next Monday for at least driver analysis, track man and alteration etc. etc. Why not? Can't hurt.

Had an enjoyable experience yesterday with the fitter. He also is a teaching pro, has the track man and all that stuff. Usually he chargers $150.00 for the fit and you can apply that to a purchase. All pretty standard stuff.

Had me warm up with my 6 iron then hit some with the driver. Spent about half an hour showing me the tech and the results. Corrected me on a couple things and I improved in a very short period. Best thing about this honest man was he tells me I can't take your money. You are average size and do not need a fit to get better. You need practice (the right way) and play more. If you want to spend get a few more lessons.

I thanked him for his ethics and honesty and he didn't even want to take anything for the first half hour.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:41 am 

pittmike wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Had an enjoyable experience yesterday with the fitter. He also is a teaching pro, has the track man and all that stuff. Usually he chargers $150.00 for the fit and you can apply that to a purchase. All pretty standard stuff.

Had me warm up with my 6 iron then hit some with the driver. Spent about half an hour showing me the tech and the results. Corrected me on a couple things and I improved in a very short period. Best thing about this honest man was he tells me I can't take your money. You are average size and do not need a fit to get better. You need practice (the right way) and play more. If you want to spend get a few more lessons.

I thanked him for his ethics and honesty and he didn't even want to take anything for the first half hour.

Damn thats awesome Mike . Not too many like that guy left.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:13 am 

pittmike wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Sounds like a great experience. The last time I got fit for a driver I asked if the fitting was put toward the purchase price if I buy and they said no. Nice to know you can get some lessons from someone you can trust if you decide to go that direction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:18 am 

Drove by a course on my way to an appointment yesterday and saw there were some golfers out at a local course. I may try to make a tee time for next weekend and give it a shot. I was watching a program yesterday and saw a really cool device that was shown at the PGA show last month and hasn't launched yet. It is a putting green from Putt Out called Air Break. It appeared to be a 6 foot long putting mat but on the sides you can use your foot to pump up air bladders underneath creating breaking putts. You can set up putts that break quite a bit. I found that so interesting and might look to get one. I guess the price is around $300 which isn't cheap but I've never really felt like I get a ton out of hitting straight putts over and over. Once I learn more I will share on here. I'll add links below for those interested.

https://pluggedingolf.com/best-of-the-2024-pga-show/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA4nahoBjHw Fast forward to 12:20 for a brief look. You can download an app to understand how much slope

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:40 pm 

I went to an indoor simulator on Sunday. My big takeaway is that I am out of golf shape. Hips, shoulders, and lower back were very tight. I need to get back into my daily stretching routine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:46 am 

Hit a bucket yesterday, just irons for the most part. Very tempting to take this afternoon and go play as one of my courses is open. I could have played yesterday but didn't want to tee off at 1:30 in the afternoon.