It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
If the course dries out enough to allow carts I will be getting out on Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Getting out of work today by 11 or a bit earlier. Good chance I will go to the shorter course here in town and see if I can buzz around and get 18 in. Their tee sheet looks empty.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:18 pm 

Got out the last two days. The course received 2 inches of rain overnight so you can imagine how wet it was. The old driver I picked up is working well thus far and my new wedge setup has worked as well. Another round tomorrow so getting 4 in before Easter is always nice. Hope some of you cretins got out as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:44 am 

Off to a nice start with 3 days of golf this weekend. Played better than expected considering the conditions. I made an impulse buy late last week for some easy on / easy off shoes for getting to and from the course and taking the dog out to go to the bathroom. Almost all sizes gone so glad I pulled the trigger when I did.

https://www.nike.com/t/air-jordan-mule- ... FJ1214-400

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Walked a local 9 hole dogtrack course on Saturday afternoon. Even though conditions aren't great, for $12 to walk its great practice. With being able to play two balls at times and repeat two of the pat 3s, I managed to play 13 holes and shot a 58. Little bit of a mixed bag. Started par par, then a double on a par 3 followed by a three putt bogey, but finished strong including par and birdie on the short 9th hole.

Pretty sloppy and my shoes were fairly well soaked by the 3rd hole. Ended up being a really nice weather day though. With the rain/slush we're supposed to get the next two days, courses are going to be pretty wet through the upcoming weekend I would think. Most courses around me weren't even letting carts out.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:34 am 

Cart path only up here with some standing water in spots and squishy conditions in most fairways. Really made you focus on what you were doing as to not hit it fat. My feet stayed dry as I managed to avoid stepping somewhere the water could get in over the top of the shoes. Expecting some of the same next weekend but have my tee times made out for the next 4 weekends already so unless the course is closed I'll be there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:53 am 

10am tee time next two days but they will likely let us go early if course looks ready to go. Expecting more wet conditions and cart path only but temps should be slightly warmer than last week. Probably going to swap out for putter #2. The first one has done alright but the greens aren't really as slow as expected and that putter is my heaviest. Also don't line up a mallet as well as a blade in general.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
12 person golf trip to French Lick in early June. I'm hoping to get in a few round prior to that. If there are any nice weekends in May I'm planning to do a weekend training camp in South Bend at my buddy's "frat" house. He's a member at South Bend CC which is a really nice sporty course.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:50 am 
100000 CLUB

Three buddies and I are taking Monday off and playing at 12:45pm, Prairie Bluff in Lockport. This will be a new venue for our group. Eclipse golf!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:11 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Three buddies and I are taking Monday off and playing at 12:45pm, Prairie Bluff in Lockport. This will be a new venue for our group. Eclipse golf!

Looks like a nice course on the website. Have fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:41 pm 

Holed out from 85 yards in a bunker for eagle this morning. One bounce and in. Definitely the longest sand shot I’ve ever made.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:01 am 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
A little bit of a mixed bag. 47-47 with some really good iron shots (no shanks!), a lot of slices off the tee, but only one lost ball and one three putt. Considering this was my first full round of the year on a regular course (played 18 at a par 65 course, and 9 holes three times) I was fairly happy with the way I hit the ball. Course was a little soggy, but no real issues and it was a treat to play a new track. Definitely would not want to play it with any more wind than there was yesterday.

The Eclipse was wild. It was really something to be out and experience it from start to finish. We had 'totality' or peak or whatever for holes 5-6-7. Got darker and the wind calmed. I would say the temperature dropped 8-10 degrees. The lighting was like dusk or when a storm approaches, but with shadows. Like, I needed my sunglasses but I didn't. It was more difficult to read putts, and on the par 5 sixth hole we couldn't see our tee shots above say 20 or 30ft in the air. We saw a few deer come on, and the crickets and bullfrogs started making noise like it was evening. It was much more surreal than I thought it would be.

We also had another exceedingly rare event as on 15 a ranger gave us the business about pace of play (cart path only, and we were maybe half a shot off pace) and I explained to him that for most of the back 9 we had to wait on the tee for the group in front of us. He came back around at 17 and apologized to us, confirming that it was indeed the foursome that was two groups ahead of us that was holding people up.

Another eclipse isn't supposed to happen in the states for 20 years, and I suspect that's about the same timeline for a muni ranger to swallow his pride and admit he was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:27 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Holed out from 85 yards in a bunker for eagle this morning. One bounce and in. Definitely the longest sand shot I’ve ever made.

Wow...on one of the hardest shots in golf nonetheless!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:00 pm 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Wow...on one of the hardest shots in golf nonetheless!!

Totally unexpected that is for sure. One of my playing partners did the same thing from the same bunker a couple of years ago. The funniest part of the 9 holes that we played was after I holed out on #3 we moved to the par 3 fourth hole and my cart partner hit the pin dead nuts from 170 with his tee shot. Made the putt for birdie. Later in the round another guy in our group chipped in for birdie on both #8 and #9. Just strange stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:21 am 

Beautiful weather this weekend so hope you guys are getting out at least one day. I finally switched from my back up irons to my starter set yesterday. It’s interesting how much more difficult the new ones are to hit but also how much more I can do with them. Bought a backup 10 year old driver and while it’s been pretty accurate I think I’m losing 15 yards or more with the older technology so going to put my starter back in today and put it to the test. Really would prefer to hit it shorter but straighter so I’ll see what happens and which one stays in the bag. Been a pretty solid start to the season and getting out half a dozen times by the Masters is a solid start.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:23 am 
100000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Beautiful weather this weekend so hope you guys are getting out at least one day.
One of the best weather days for golf I can recall. Played at Fountain Hills in pantherland Saturday afternoon. Pace was slow and the course was pretty beat up, but the weather and shot making among our threesome was glorious. Started a little slow with two doubles on the first four holes, then rebounded to go birdie, par, par before a shitfuck closing stretch. I was happy to card a 44 with the doubles and a triple. Hit the ball very well again, playing probably the best I have in 2-3 seasons and enjoying it more and more which is what its all about.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:56 pm 

Was able to get a quick 9 in Saturday morning, and 18 yesterday (bogey-bogey-double start, but recovered enough to shoot 78). First time I've played back-to-back days in at least a decade. Still working through a lot of layers of rust, but feels great to be out again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:59 am 

Tee times at the place I play starting at 6am starting Saturday. With temps in the 30s there is a good chance we will be in a frost delay. Overall it is a bonus getting out earlier but lots of waiting around this time of year. 7 rounds in for the season which is a better than average start out of the blocks, maybe a week or two ahead of most years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
First couples league round on Sunday afternoon. Weather looks good but a touch cooler and can't wait. Going to try to squeeze something whether range or quick 9 prior to that somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Golf course etiquette question . I got out and played nine this morning walking solo. It was pretty wide-open , I was 2 holes ahead of the next group ( older guys , they were ahead of me at the pro shop paying for their round, but the starter let me on first and they were nowhere to be seen the first couple holes. I saw them finishing up 1 while I was teeing on 3 . ) By 8 I was at least 2 holes ahead . After my drive on eight, I played two balls from the fairway just for practice , finished up went to 9 , Did the same thing from the fairway, water balled my first approach, hit my second just short of the green . Spent a little bit of time looking for my first ball in the hopes that may be landed short of the water in the weeds, my second was about 30 yards away and when I went to play that shot, lo and behold, there was a solo player in the middle of the ninth Fairway looking very impatient at me waiting to hit his approach. I have no idea where he came from. He somehow was not between me and the foursome behind me that I saw so he obviously played through at some point. I guess my question is is it still incumbent on me to pick up the pace or maybe not even play two balls even though he played through when I wasn’t holding anyone up the previous holes? Him standing there definitely made me rush my chip and not take my time over the the two putts and pissed me off a little .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

Early AM or late PM when the course is fairly open is the perfect time to play two balls or practice a bit, provided you keep pace.

IMO if this guy was jumping around and playing extra holes, he can wait. If he was making his way around quickly and played through the two old timers you mentioned, then its on you to move along or let him through.

As I've recapped here I will play two balls at times if the day allows. In your situation, I would have just taken my time and did my usual routine for one ball at the green and simply picked up the second. By the sounds of it if you really wanted to, you could have walked back and played the 9th hole again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:09 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Golf course etiquette question . I got out and played nine this morning walking solo. It was pretty wide-open , I was 2 holes ahead of the next group ( older guys , they were ahead of me at the pro shop paying for their round, but the starter let me on first and they were nowhere to be seen the first couple holes. I saw them finishing up 1 while I was teeing on 3 . ) By 8 I was at least 2 holes ahead . After my drive on eight, I played two balls from the fairway just for practice , finished up went to 9 , Did the same thing from the fairway, water balled my first approach, hit my second just short of the green . Spent a little bit of time looking for my first ball in the hopes that may be landed short of the water in the weeds, my second was about 30 yards away and when I went to play that shot, lo and behold, there was a solo player in the middle of the ninth Fairway looking very impatient at me waiting to hit his approach. I have no idea where he came from. He somehow was not between me and the foursome behind me that I saw so he obviously played through at some point. I guess my question is is it still incumbent on me to pick up the pace or maybe not even play two balls even though he played through when I wasn’t holding anyone up the previous holes? Him standing there definitely made me rush my chip and not take my time over the the two putts and pissed me off a little .

If he came up on you on that one hole, yeah pick up the second ball, but finish the hole and don't feel rushed. Let him play though on the next hole. Just tell him "go ahead and play through, I'm playing two balls for some practice. Have a nice day." And if he was looking very impatient for one hole he's the asshole, not you.

Last edited by Franky T on Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
59 for 9. Hang my head but mostly chips and putts that were the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 am 

A bit chilly and windy this past weekend. Frost delay each morning. I had to chuckle yesterday. There were at least 10-12 carts stacked up right before 8 am with groups hoping to get off after a 2 hour delay. I make my tee times a month in advance and of course we had the first one. We made our way to the front of the line and teed off. Everyone else seemed pretty annoyed but that’s how it works. They then let a single go behind us. Guy never caught our foursome and we finished multiple holes ahead. 2:45 with cart path only.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:42 am 

They had a 4 man scramble tournament on Saturday out where I play. Ran into some friends that were playing. They sent everyone out in 8 somes to avoid any cheating. Over 6 hours to play 18 holes :shock: Uh, no thanks, that doesn’t sound like much fun to me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:08 am 
100000 CLUB

That is preposterous. I would be demanding a refund or free round in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:24 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
That is preposterous. I would be demanding a refund or free round in the future.

I used to play in events like that every weekend but all the steps they try to take to stop people from shaving strokes just adds time to the event. I agreed to play in a charity event for work in early June and it sounded fun because it will be at a nice course but looking back on it, have the feeling I am going to regret going because it will take all damn day and a lot of people out there that only play a few times a year will really slow things down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:47 am 
100000 CLUB

Fundraisers are one thing. Its a long day for sure but when its a good cause I'm ok with it.

Having to put out 10somes to prevent cheating is just insane. How badly do you want to win whatever prize there is? If its a membership or some really valuable prize then jack up the entrance fee to include a referee or rules official to be with each group.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:37 am 

Weather looking a bit iffy this weekend. Early Saturday should be in the clear but windy. Sunday definitely questionable with storms but I'd say a chance it could happen. 9 full rounds and one 9 hole round in thus far so pretty much the same pace as last year. Sometime in May I will likely start playing one morning during the week before work which should get me about 15-20 extra rounds this year.