It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:02 am 

Went out yesterday to hit some balls, but turned out the range was closed for maintenance, but the course was open. It's a 9 hole, par 32, and only a few people were playing. Walked it by myself, and played 2 balls. A few ugly shots were hit, but felt good to be playing golf in February.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Ended up taking a mental health half day from work and meeting some friends out at the golf course at 1:30. Not too many folks out there and we played as a 5-some and finished in 3:15, not too horrible. Conditions were decent for February. A lot of branches down and I would like to see them clear cut the brush in the woods but very minor gripes. Really didn't have any expectations after putting the clubs away last weekend in October and only hitting 2 buckets of balls in the off season. Was very encouraged with a 78 all things considered.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
T-Bone wrote:
Ended up taking a mental health half day from work and meeting some friends out at the golf course at 1:30. Not too many folks out there and we played as a 5-some and finished in 3:15, not too horrible. Conditions were decent for February. A lot of branches down and I would like to see them clear cut the brush in the woods but very minor gripes. Really didn't have any expectations after putting the clubs away last weekend in October and only hitting 2 buckets of balls in the off season. Was very encouraged with a 78 all things considered.

I dream of your worst rounds. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I too played hooky yesterday and went to the golf course. Took a couple extra shots the first 2-3 holes to warm up and shot 43-41 on a short par 65 course which I was very happy with. Went in with no expectations other than to have fun and enjoy the weather. Had a Supreme Golf credit from last season so all it cost my ol' man and I was the $5.99 booking fee. Like Tbone I hadn't touched the clubs since early November and while there were a few minor gripes, honestly conditions were just fine for February. Greens were quicker than I thought. I narrowed my stance and really tried to focus on a "low and slow" take away which resulted in a lot of quality shots and for the first time in probably 2+ seasons, zero shanks.

Was a great day. I've played February golf before, but never in shortsleeves with sunglasses on for the entire round.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:23 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I too played hooky yesterday and went to the golf course. Took a couple extra shots the first 2-3 holes to warm up and shot 43-41 on a short par 65 course which I was very happy with. Went in with no expectations other than to have fun and enjoy the weather. Had a Supreme Golf credit from last season so all it cost my ol' man and I was the $5.99 booking fee. Like Tbone I hadn't touched the clubs since early November and while there were a few minor gripes, honestly conditions were just fine for February. Greens were quicker than I thought. I narrowed my stance and really tried to focus on a "low and slow" take away which resulted in a lot of quality shots and for the first time in probably 2+ seasons, zero shanks.

Was a great day. I've played February golf before, but never in shortsleeves with sunglasses on for the entire round.

I keep track of all my stats and rounds, doing so since 2010. The only other time I have played February golf in Wisconsin was back in 2017. Yesterday was just a long sleeved Under Armour shirt and a short sleeved golf shirt over that. It was very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:13 am 

Anyone going to try to get out this weekend? I had my finger on the button for a 9:09 tee time at the course local to me but decided against it. I may try to get down to Pine Meadow to hit a bucket and then chip and putt instead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
First round of the year is booked for Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

Franky T wrote:
First round of the year is booked for Sunday.
Nice.

Reasonably certain I'm going to end up walking 9 holes somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:09 pm 

nothing planned, but decent chance I try to play Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:15 am 

Well I had an itch to put a few new clubs into the arsenal but had to do some searching. Planning on putting the 3 wood back in the bag so that means a wedge needs to come out. Currently have a 52,56, 60. I took the 60 out but when I played last week I missed having it a few times. Because of the high bounce on my 56 I can’t open up the face and get under it easily. I found an old 58 degree SM7 Vokey in good condition with much less bounce and will replace the 56. I also pulled the trigger on an older model 915D3 Titleist driver that I used to own and love but traded it in when I used to get a new one every other year. Just want a backup driver in case the TaylorMade M5 breaks or craps out on me. Tried finding a reasonably priced used TSR3 but they don’t seem to exist. I have a really nice Callaway Rogue SubZero that I just don’t love and has the wrong shaft on it. Not sure if I should sell or just buy a different shaft for it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 pm 

Got a surprise email from my club that they would be open with pins in this weekend. We already had a tee time somewhere on Sunday (more on that in a minute) but went out by myself on Saturday. Drove out and 8 tee was open so I ended up playing 8-15 until I caught some people so I headed in. Hit the ball well (fairway to green for 5 of them) and was a good warm up.

Today - I don't think I've ever played in wind that strong - it was brutal. On the front I decelerated and chunked three shots inside 80 yards that were down wind, two into the water. Our scorecard blew off the cart on 7 but I think I carded a 52! Pulled it somewhat together on the back and was 2 over through 15 then birdied 16 and 17. Jinxed myself on 18 tee and said to the guys "I shot 52 on the front and can still break 90 unless I really mess up". Well, I messed up and made a 9 on the last hole (second shot OB on a par 5). I love golf :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

Walked 9 holes on Saturday which ended up being a beautiful afternoon. Two 7s did the scorecard no good, but outside of three poor shots I hit the ball pretty well again. Another round with zero shanks, and I was able to chip/pitch to tap in distance 3 different times to card a par and another to about 4' to save bogey. Quite the surprise to perform that well on and around the greens this early in the year.

Twilight so the starter let us go around around for an extra 4 holes (we each played two balls on two of the holes) but the beer had got to me by that time so it was a bit of a mess. Had just a wonderful time enjoying the game with a couple of buddies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:33 am 

The used wedge showed up yesterday and was in as good a shape as what it appeared online. Driver supposed to arrive tomorrow and then I will take them to get re-gripped. No plans to play this weekend, my courses are closed for the weekend but appear to open when temps will be above 50. Now that I have purchased my membership I don't plan to go into my pocket for additional rounds elsewhere if I can help it. Might try to find a place to chip and putt a little bit. No big travel/vacation plans this year and 24 days of vacation to blow through so at this point thinking I will likely use 10 days and split them into half days with the hopes of playing in the morning and then going into the office in the afternoon once a week. That should get me through a large chunk of the season and help me try to reach 70+ rounds this season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Last club I “ needed” was a new putter to have basically a new bag. I had zero idea how to pick one out and I wasnt going to pay to get fitted for someone at my obvious terrible skill level and certainly wasnt going the $ 300 plus amount on one . Went dinking around and hit a few different brands and types . Went on a couple golf forums to ask around and was told more than once “ youll know it when you find the one you like” . Cut to yesterday when I rolled the Odyssey White ( of course ) Hot Versa. . Wow . Just felt great as soon as I took one putt . Almost bought it right then in there for $225 but I wanted to give it a day or so, and then go back and hit it again and see if it felt the same, which I did this morning. Same feeling and I even tried a few other different brands to see if I was just experiencing a placebo effect but when I came back to the odyssey, it still felt great. Even better is I found one on Callaway preowned for $115 in like new condition ! couldn’t place that order fast enough. Now I doubt it will make any difference but at least I’ll feel more confident putting the ball and I think a lot of that is confidence. Can’t wait to get it out on a course.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:22 pm 

Odyssey makes a nice flat stick. I think you did the right thing by trying out a number of different putters. Generally you can start to dial in the right kind of putter for your stroke if you know the path. If you are a straight back and straight through guy a face balanced putter is likely going to work better for you. If you have more of an arc then you will want to likely play a putter that has more toe hang on it. Nice job finding a deal on Callaway Pre-owned. That place is money for finding used equipment.

https://www.golfwrx.com/518390/a-deep-d ... t-matters/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I had hoped to play this week. Instead I am home recovering from the flu (tested) and have been told to avoid exertion next week even if I am no longer contagious. This winter has been a shit show for what is supposed to be a 10-month golf season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:00 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I had hoped to play this week. Instead I am home recovering from the flu (tested) and have been told to avoid exertion next week even if I am no longer contagious. This winter has been a shit show for what is supposed to be a 10-month golf season.

Sorry to hear Chet. I was hoping to get out too but will have to hope for next weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:04 am 

Tempting to duck out of work and golf this afternoon with temps near 70 but not sure if I will or not. Hard to take the afternoon off knowing the next morning I will be buried with e-mail and requests when if I am patient and wait until I can tee off in the morning, heading into the office afterwards is much more appealing work-wise.

Edit - none of my buddies are playing but still tempting to head to Pine Meadow and hit 100 balls plus chip and putt this afternoon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:50 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Tempting to duck out of work and golf this afternoon with temps near 70 but not sure if I will or not. Hard to take the afternoon off knowing the next morning I will be buried with e-mail and requests when if I am patient and wait until I can tee off in the morning, heading into the office afterwards is much more appealing work-wise.

Edit - none of my buddies are playing but still tempting to head to Pine Meadow and hit 100 balls plus chip and putt this afternoon.

I'm heading out around 4:00 for a quick 9 holes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:53 am 

Franky T wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I'm heading out around 4:00 for a quick 9 holes.

I am leaving at 10am. Pine Meadow is nice because they have an upper and lower range, multiple putting greens, chipping greens, and places to hit balls out of the sand to greens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:51 am 

Driving range was open and wasn't even expecting the grass to be open but it was on the lower range. Went through the bag with a large bucket. Can't believe they charged $15 for about 75-80 balls. If I hadn't just driven 35 minutes to get there I may have just turned around. Pretty windy out there but was able to hit some balls with the driver I just purchased as well as some with the new wedge. It will be strange trying to replace the 56 and 60 with just a 58 but have to do it if I'm going to carry a 3 wood. I was able to hit some sand shots and lobs with the 58 and the reduced bounce really helps me open it up a bit and get under it so that will be a new shot I haven't been able to use in a while. Weather looking pretty iffy this weekend again and not sure if my course will be open. I have the gear to bundle up and play in 40 degree weather but not really sure I want to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

Yup, it sucks. Greens fees went insane with Covid, and range prices have as well. Last weekend I grabbed 11 dozen random balls for $20 on FB marketplace and I will just bring 15 or so of those to hit as a pre round warmup while supplies last. A few years back you could get a small or warm up bucket for a few bucks. Silver Lake by me used to offer a "handful" (usually about 10-12 range balls in a paper bag) for $2 cash with a paid greens fee. Those days are gone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:07 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yup, it sucks. Greens fees went insane with Covid, and range prices have as well. Last weekend I grabbed 11 dozen random balls for $20 on FB marketplace and I will just bring 15 or so of those to hit as a pre round warmup while supplies last. A few years back you could get a small or warm up bucket for a few bucks. Silver Lake by me used to offer a "handful" (usually about 10-12 range balls in a paper bag) for $2 cash with a paid greens fee. Those days are gone.

Last season I just walked out onto the range at my course and hit the balls that people topped out into the range to warm up. The couple of years before that I would bring 4-5 balls that I found in the off season and hit them out onto the range. I was surprised that Pine Meadow had signs up that you couldn't use the practice area unless you bought range balls. I've been going there 30 years and that was a first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:17 am 
100000 CLUB

I 'played' 18 two Saturdays ago (9 hole course, two balls each hole) and it was a bit of a mixed bag. Nobody was around as it definitely got colder and windier as the round went on which affected things a little bit. I did not hit the ball nearly as solid as my first two times out, but still no shanks!

This weekend does not appear to be good for anything outside, let alone golf. Long range forecast looks a little more favorable for Easter weekend. I have a buddy who wants to go to a simulator on Saturday which I may tag along for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:15 pm 

My course is closed yet again this weekend. I have next Friday off so holding out hope for golf at least once over the 3 day holiday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:47 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
My course is closed yet again this weekend. I have next Friday off so holding out hope for golf at least once over the 3 day holiday.

They are talking snow tomorrow night into Friday

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:53 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

They are talking snow tomorrow night into Friday

I don't think we will get much snow down by me if any at all but the temps looks rough until next week when it gets into the 40s again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:37 am 

Well after getting out in late February I thought I might have a few more rounds but some crummy weather and closed course a few times have held me back. Have the first tee times Friday thru Sunday this week and would like to play 2-3 times. Teeing off at 10am Fri and Sun and 9am Saturday so that isn't too bad for March. Anyone else going to try to get out. I have nothing scheduled for Easter so hoping the course is empty.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Still have not been out. Same as you guys the early nice Feb weather never really fully paid off in March. I am going to CA for a week this Friday. I am not sure I would have time though. When I return I plan to get it rolling fully.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 am 
100000 CLUB

You may have a frost delay that early, and Saturday AM is looking like it may be wet.

If weather and scheduling allows, I may try and get out late Saturday afternoon for 9 holes.