It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2024 Masters Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:53 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Tiger, Jack, Palmer, Hogan
I'll give you these.

Nick Faldo? :lol: :lol:

That's like saying Derrek Lee was better than Frank Thomas.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
RFDC wrote:
He said a legit argument. Not crap thrown against a wall.

Why is that crap? They’re all people who accomplished a great deal. All of them have more majors than Phil (save for Faldo, who’s tied) and almost every name on that list had a greater historical impact on the game than Phil has had to this point.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:58 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Tiger, Jack, Palmer, Hogan
I'll give you these.

Nick Faldo? :lol: :lol:

That's like saying Derrek Lee was better than Frank Thomas.

Faldo is definitely the weak link, but I wasn’t trying to be holistic. That said:

6 majors
Ryder Cup stud
Voice of the game for a couple decades

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
RFDC wrote:

Every guy he mentioned was arguably better than Fat Phil. Some unquestionably. How about Tom Watson? Johnny Miller?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:09 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Every guy he mentioned was arguably better than Fat Phil. Some unquestionably.
Wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:

It's idiotic to argue that Mickelson was one of the ten best golfers ever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:12 am 
100000 CLUB

Its idiotic to argue that Johnny Miller- with his 2 majors and 36 wins- might better than a guy who won 6 majors and is top ten in all time victories, 20+ more than Miller.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
There are 11 golfers ahead of Phil in all-time majors wins. That alone defats any argument that he is without question a top 10 golfer of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 am 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure Harry Vardon won six straight British Opens. Of course, the guys he was competing against were slow, tiny, and white.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm pretty sure Harry Vardon won six straight British Opens. Of course, the guys he was competing against were slow, tiny, and white.

FFS, get a grip.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm 

JORR you cannot even be taken seriously if you are going to claim Miller was better than Phil.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
JORR you cannot even be taken seriously if you are going to claim Miller was better than Phil.

I'm not sure how old you are, but for about two summers there has never been anyone better than Miller. And that includes Nicklaus and Tiger.

You can argue about what's more important peak or longevity. That's fine. But Phil isn't even in the same universe as Miller at his best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:30 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I'm not sure how old you are, but for about two summers there has never been anyone better than Miller. And that includes Nicklaus and Tiger.

You can argue about what's more important peak or longevity. That's fine. But Phil isn't even in the same universe as Miller at his best.

Thats great, but we are not just talking about who was the best for a stretch of time. We are talking a career. And 45 wins and 6 majors is better than 25 wins and 2 majors.

So by your logic is Arrieta a top 10 pitcher of all time since for a stretch he was as good as anyone in the game?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
but for about two summers there has never been anyone better than Miller. And that includes Nicklaus and Tiger.
While Miller had a great stretch in the 70s, winning 8 events in 1974, it was not better than peak Tiger. Miller did not win a major in 1974.

Tiger won 8 events in a season twice, and both of those times included at least one major. Tiger also won 9 events in a season one time, the same year in which he won 3 majors.

If you want to argue that 9 wins and 3 majors is a worse season than 8 wins, have at it. Dolt.

Johnny Miller never had a run like the current heater Scottie Scheffler is on, which includes 3 wins [one major] in his last 4 events, 9 top ten finishes in 10 events this season, and 0 rounds over par since last August.

Then again, the guys Miller and Nicklaus were competing against were slow, tiny, and white.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Thats great, but we are not just talking about who was the best for a stretch of time. We are talking a career. And 45 wins and 6 majors is better than 25 wins and 2 majors.

So by your logic is Arrieta a top 10 pitcher of all time since for a stretch he was as good as anyone in the game?

I would argue it's a little different, but Arrieta's best season is in the conversation with Gibson, Gooden, and Pedro as one of the best ever.

Anyway, I think a good case can be made that Miller's 16 tour wins from '73 to '76 bookended by the U.S. and British Opens is better than anything Phil ever did. But hey, I admit I don't like Phil. And it's objectively absurd to insist he is one of the ten best ever. You don't like Miller who was never really the same after 1976. Okay. Do you think Phil was better than Seve Ballesteros? Gene Sarazen? Patty Berg? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:29 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I would love to see somebody attempt to make a legit argument that there have been at least 9 guys better than Phil in the history of golf. And they can go back to the Old Tom Morris days if they wish.

Tiger, Jack, Palmer, Snead, Hogan, Nelson, Hagen…pick some randos like Bobby Jones. Throw in a Gary Player or Tom Watson. Maybe a Faldo. Get weird with it and toss in a lady or two.

Boom. Steak dinner.

I don't know how anyone wouldn't have Lee Trevino as a legit better player than Phil. Trevino won the same amount of majors as Phil. Trevino's career essentially overlapped with the primes of the following players and their ranking on major victories (1) Nicklaus (4) Player and (6) Watson.

Trevino also got fucking struck by lightning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
One Post wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I would love to see somebody attempt to make a legit argument that there have been at least 9 guys better than Phil in the history of golf. And they can go back to the Old Tom Morris days if they wish.

Tiger, Jack, Palmer, Snead, Hogan, Nelson, Hagen…pick some randos like Bobby Jones. Throw in a Gary Player or Tom Watson. Maybe a Faldo. Get weird with it and toss in a lady or two.

Boom. Steak dinner.

I don't know how anyone wouldn't have Lee Trevino as a legit better player than Phil. Trevino won the same amount of majors as Phil. Trevino's career essentially overlapped with the primes of the following players and their ranking on major victories (1) Nicklaus (4) Player and (6) Watson.

Trevino also got fucking struck by lightning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:39 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

This is where you lose me with some hyperbole. Tiger from '99-'04 was the most dominate stretch of golf we will ever see.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

This is where you lose me with some hyperbole. Tiger from '99-'04 was the most dominate stretch of golf we will ever see.

I don't think it's hyperbole. Do you remember Miller in the summer of '73? He was a sensation the way Caitlin Clark currently is. Not that Woods wasn't. But what Miller did in the Open that year was hard to believe. It was an Open set up. Not like Tiger at Augusta when equipment and "nutrition" threatened to make the course obsolete.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I don’t know if it will be a Tiger run or a Johnny Miller run but this Scottie is something else. If he is as good a guy as painted, doesn’t get a steroid brain, crashing SUVs or start banging Friendly’s waitresses he is going to be around a while.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I don't think it's hyperbole. Do you remember Miller in the summer of '73? He was a sensation the way Caitlin Clark currently is. Not that Woods wasn't. But what Miller did in the Open that year was hard to believe. It was an Open set up. Not like Tiger at Augusta when equipment and "nutrition" threatened to make the course obsolete.

Tiger Woods won the 2000 U.S. Open by 15 shots. Not even the same hemisphere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

Its the US Open. THE Open is across the pond. Miller shot a 76 on Saturday.

You want dominant, sensational, then look at Tiger's US Open at Pebble. I guarantee you won't find any rounds in the mid seventies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Well, he wasn't playing against Nicklaus and Trevino. He was playing against Phil. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:28 pm 

Byron Nelson won 10+ tournaments in a row. That’s insane.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Well, he wasn't playing against Nicklaus and Trevino. He was playing against Phil. :lol:

:lol:

I'll defend your take on peak Johnny Miller vs. peak Phil. My money would be on Miller. But I'll take peak Tiger and give you the field.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Well, Jack Nicklaus played in the 2000 US Open.
So was Ernie Els who has 4 major wins.

Miller must have really been hot to beat guys like John Schlee and Jim Colbert :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Looking at that 1970-1978 time frame it was just a meatgrinder to win majors. You had the following guys in their primes or at the very least "relevant": Nicklaus, Trevino, Player, Watson, in addition to what I would think are 2nd Tier greats like Ray Floyd, and Hale Irwin.

That's four of probably the top 10 golfers ever, and two more that have legit claims to top 25. All in or near their prime in the same essentially 8-10 year window. Brutal fields for those majors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
this was a fun watch, winning puts from the last 50 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woFuQ9ssx-4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Well, Jack Nicklaus played in the 2000 US Open.
So was Ernie Els who has 4 major wins.

Miller must have really been hot to beat guys like John Schlee and Jim Colbert :lol:

Plumbers and electricians

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Harbour Town is usually an interesting tournament to watch, they have some really tight driving holes and pretty classic Dye layout. Very surprised that Scheffler is in the field this week after his win at Augusta.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next