It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
man of few opinions wrote:
i dont care for a lot of the current great pro bowlers acting like buffoons for the cameras like pete weber, sean rash and some of the others.

Pete Weber was always a dick, but I think some of the histrionics these guys go through out there are specifically encouraged by the TV guys who want an edgier product to appeal to the NFL crowd. Maybe they should let them roid up and tackle each other.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Always thought Earl Anthony had the smoothest most effortless looking form .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Man of f.o.,

Yes,bowling on TV has changed but there are still some pretty good bowlers out there. What's the name of that Australian guy? He seems to be on every time I watch. He got into a argument with some other bowler last year I think. I haven't watched recently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
i dont care for a lot of the current great pro bowlers acting like buffoons for the cameras like pete weber, sean rash and some of the others.

Pete Weber was always a dick, but I think some of the histrionics these guys go through out there are specifically encouraged by the TV guys who want an edgier product to appeal to the NFL crowd. Maybe they should let them roid up and tackle each other.

I still have an autographed pin with his dad's signature along with other sport luminaries. It was from the Mike North Bowl-a-thon years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
JORR, Dr. Ken and Reader are only other posters on this board that can appreciate our conversation.

Does anyone here remember "Whispering" Joe Wilson?

http://bowlinghistory.wordpress.com/201 ... lson-1957/

I remember listening to The Ten Pin Tattler on WGN on Saturday nights in the car ride back from church. His speaking voice was mesmerizing.

http://tenpintattler.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 am 

The coach in Just One of the Guys uses bowling puns throughout the movie

"The person who pulled the fire alarm is a human gutterball"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Let's go bowling...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Come on up to Vernon Hills...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

doug - evergreen park wrote:

Do you and Boyd and the girls bowl in that once a month mixed league on Saturdays?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:

Do you and Boyd and the girls bowl in that once a month mixed league on Saturdays?

Nope. We bowled Wednesday nights in the summer, and my wife and I bowl on Thursdays now. Doug and his lady took the long season off.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
jimmypasta wrote:
Man of f.o.,

Yes,bowling on TV has changed but there are still some pretty good bowlers out there. What's the name of that Australian guy? He seems to be on every time I watch. He got into a argument with some other bowler last year I think. I haven't watched recently.

jason belmonte. hes an asshole too. he's the guy who started the whole 2-handed style that is all the rage these days. he and sean rash hate each other and have made asses of themselves in head-to-head matches before, pumping their fists and screaming and jumping around like idiots talking shit. it would be funny to watch straight-laced earl anthony in his prime bowl against these loud-mouthed assholes, talk about contrast.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:00 pm 

Yep,that's it.I forgot he uses two-hands. I was shocked when I saw him the first time. He call's himself a man? He should have been hazed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

jimmypasta wrote:
Yep,that's it.I forgot he uses two-hands. I was shocked when I saw him the first time. He call's himself a man? He should have been hazed.

I do not wish to offend you Big Jason, but this ball has no holes in it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
The wife and I were trying to join a league.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
lots of places to bowl up there hoffy, i used to bowl at Crystal Bowl and 3D in Island Lake, both were great houses. i even bowled a league at Metro Bowl downtown. I wonder if that place is still open? i heard Westlane shut down.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:44 am 

lots of places to bowl up there hoffy, i used to bowl at Crystal Bowl and 3D in Island Lake, both were great houses. i even bowled a league at Metro Bowl downtown. I wonder if that place is still open? i heard Westlane shut down.

3D is a decent place...used to bowl there in a travel league.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:53 am 
Site Admin

sjboyd0137 wrote:
It's the weight block.

My friend Jerry who died was a great bowler and a really good softball player. He wasn't a top, top softball player, but pretty good. There's a famous Royko column about his team, the Rogues, playing for the championship at Clarendon Park in the 70s on a day when they outdrew the Cubs game. Jerry's older brother Bobby (also dead) was the best hitter in the history of 16" softball. It's indisputable. He invented the act of "cutting" or "dumping" the ball. Bobby was the first guy elected to the 16" Hall of Fame with the most votes and that's really saying something because I don't believe he was beloved by opponents.

Not to go off on a tangent here, but that team Elmhurst Steve was on that's in the Hall of Fame, it's not really a Hall of Fame team. The only thing I can figure is that the two guys who run it, Chuck and Gary, gave Al Maag a bunch of dough for the Hall or something like that. I'm not saying it was a shitty team, it's just that they played in "C" leagues at Terminal and Shabbona. I know a guy who played on that team, Stewie Rosen (also dead). Stewie was a good player, but not a Hall of Fame type guy. His uncle, Eddie Dick who played for the Dwarfs, that's a real Hall of Famer. And I don't think he's in there.

Anyway, Jerry's brother, Bobby Lamont was a great athlete. Even when he was pushing 70. He filled in on our bowling team when we were short a guy a few times. He was an intimidating motherfucker. He had this ball that had a strange weight distribution. It was totally illegal and must have weighed 18+ pounds. It was ridiculous to watch that thing go down the alley, stopping and starting, and then the fucking pins would explode.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
When I was younger I used to watch the PBA on Saturday, until Bob Learn, Jr. ruined it. From Wiki:

Learn shot games of 300, 270, 280 and 279 for a total of 1,129. This shattered the previous PBA record of 1,070 pins, set in 1995 by David Ozio. In the four matches, Learn recorded 44 of a possible 48 strikes.

Learn Jr. still holds the 2-game, 3-game, and 4-game national TV records for that performance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I had a 300 once, in a 9-pin, no tap. 8 real strikes and 4 of the 9-count variety. Only 300 of the charity event that night. I'll take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:45 pm 

Went bowling with the wife this morning at the place Doug mentioned with the $1 games. Had a rough 1st game warming up and getting a feel for the lanes. Had a 232 and a 212 the last 2 games with 1 open (ugly chop on a light hit). Felt good in a house I haven't bowled in since 1999.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Q.Bovifs wrote:

So, my prescription for this week was to not even touch a ball until next Friday, to allow my hand to heal. It is a bit sore when I close it, and when I wipe my ass, it feels like my fingers are going to fall off! lol

This reminds me of some marathon bowling sessions with my buddies years ago. We'd bowl as many as
15 games in one day/night. The next day at work I could barely lift my arms up to use my keyboard and
my fingers were really sore.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:38 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:

So, my prescription for this week was to not even touch a ball until next Friday, to allow my hand to heal. It is a bit sore when I close it, and when I wipe my ass, it feels like my fingers are going to fall off! lol

This reminds me of some marathon bowling sessions with my buddies years ago. We'd bowl as many as
15 games in one day/night. The next day at work I could barely lift my arms up to use my keyboard and

My elbow can't handle that anymore. When I was prepping for bowling back to back nights over the summer, I would bowl my league on Tuesday, and then the lady and I would go bowl 4-5 games every Wednesday. I'm getting too old for that shit. That said, I'd do this summer over again in a heartbeat...both leagues.

Now, with 2 leagues, I bowl Tuesday and Thursday. I find that I can go work with the wife on her stuff on Saturday or Sunday, and that day off in between will make the difference in the world.

Panther: allow yourself to ease in. There are going to be different oil patterns, and just wait until how weird the shot gets if you bowl after a league is done.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:

My elbow can't handle that anymore. When I was prepping for bowling back to back nights over the summer, I would bowl my league on Tuesday, and then the lady and I would go bowl 4-5 games every Wednesday. I'm getting too old for that shit. That said, I'd do this summer over again in a heartbeat...both leagues.

Now, with 2 leagues, I bowl Tuesday and Thursday. I find that I can go work with the wife on her stuff on Saturday or Sunday, and that day off in between will make the difference in the world.

Panther: allow yourself to ease in. There are going to be different oil patterns, and just wait until how weird the shot gets if you bowl after a league is done.

I just hired a private instructor - $80 per 6 one-hour lessons, with video recording and analysis. I need to fix this shit before I embarrass myself further!

I'll help you with your posting for free. I hate it when you embarrass yourself here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Let's go bowling...

So........no, then?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Let's go bowling...

So........no, then?

I'm thinking about trying to revive CSFMB bowling after the first of the year, but you are welcome to come to Mundelein next Sunday morning to go bowling with my wife and I.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Wow. Speaking of advances in ball technology, check out Walter Ray Williams from 1986 - looks as if he is throwing a straight ball, when he, in fact, had a very effective hook!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAViqzRw7EY

My old man had the big biting hook (He was a 210 or so and bowled in a few tournaments), so I always wanted to do it but just can not get it to move so my wife bought me a Taboo and that Ray Williams hook is about what I'm getting.

Still trying for the big boy but it is not working :lol: Did roll a 199 first game in a year and a half, next five games last night not so good but the sixth did get 186 need a lot of work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Let's go bowling...

So........no, then?

Sunday nights a Pioneer lanes in Plainfield??
Usually do 6 or 7 games for a buck a piece oh and 50 or 60 bucks for booze :drunken: :drunken:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:20 pm 

Rough first game last night. Couldn't carry 10 pins and left a couple of nasty splits for a 159. Came back with 225 and 205 with only 1 open, so that was good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:31 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
sjboyd0137 wrote:

I used to bowl in a Saturday night league- after the youth/bantam group had the house all afternoon. If the owner wasn't there to re-oil before our league, you might as well have set pins in the parking lot. A straight ball was nearly impossible. We bowled next to the White Cane league for blind/vision-impared folks, what a hoot!

Most fun was a 3 man league, late shift after one of the local top tier leagues. Had a few guys stick around to bowl, as well as others to watch. Bowling got done in like an hour and a half. Great if you were on, very little time to get up for your next shot-threw my personal best 290 in that league (part of a sub-700 series :oops:, :drunken: )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Going tonight for the first time in four weeks. Shot 661 last time.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next