It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I think I will break out the purple beast monster hook machine this weekend. I hope it isn't hard like in old days to find open bowling with too many leagues.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
I think I will break out the purple beast monster hook machine this weekend. I hope it isn't hard like in old days to find open bowling with too many leagues.

The leagues at our house wind down around 9:30.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I might be too drinky by then. But who care it will cover the pains I get. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
im looking to rebound from a bad week last week. after a great start to the season i have been struggling the last couple times out, and had to miss 2 consecutive weeks at one point. hoping to get back in the groove tonight and string some together. last week i was having trouble getting more than 2 in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Sausage
239 257 208 = 704 series last night.

Been a rough year so far for me averaging a 192. Normally a 205ish bowler so it was nice to finally have a good night.

Started off with my Ebonite Pursuit. As the lanes broke down I switched over to an old favorite -- my Xfactor II. Great combo for me.

Also won 2nd place in survivor and 2nd game handicap. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Well done, Bosco.

Last night was a struggle for me. Very inconsistent carry for everyone involved on the pair. Had 5 splits the 3rd game...all on the right lane. Oh well. It's the mixed league with the wife, so it's more for leisure than competitive, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Last night also was a struggle for me. I had to attend a board meeting in Buffalo Grove.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:15 am 

redskingreg wrote:
Last night also was a struggle for me. I had to attend a board meeting in Buffalo Grove.

Board meetings suck. My wife is the treasurer for the neighborhood association. Half the time, she has the meetings at our house. Brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:22 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Board meetings suck. My wife is the treasurer for the neighborhood association. Half the time, she has the meetings at our house. Brutal.

I'm treasurer at my HOA, but we only meet four times a year. Usually no one is at the meetings, save for the board members and property manager. I had to attend last night's meeting for work. I go to this one every year, and every year it's a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Board meetings suck.

I agree. Hopefully this will change once Frank's disembodied head starts making the rounds.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:32 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Board meetings suck.

I agree. Hopefully this will change once Frank's disembodied head starts making the rounds.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:19 pm 

threw a 595 last night, pretty depressed about how it ended. i couldnt find a good strike line in game 1 and struggled to a 180-something. rebounded in game 2 and threw a 220 something. opened the first two frames of game 3, alternated strikes and spares for a few frames and put myself in a position where i needed a 3-bagger and a mark in the 10th to get my 600. i drilled the 3 strikes, thought i had secured the 600, then left a ringing 7 (im a lefty) on the first ball in the 10th, whiffed it, and came up 5 pins short. fuck, i was pissed. worse than that was we lost series by 10. faahhkk.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... -its-lanes

While you may think you know everything about the sport of bowling, there's one crucial aspect of the sport with which many people are unaware.

Bowling lanes, from the ones at your local alley to those on the Professional Bowlers Association tour, are coated with oil. This allows the ball a slicker surface on which to roll. And while many bowling alleys apply the oil in a way that makes it easier to hit the pins, in the professional leagues the oil is used to challenge the bowlers.

It might be applied one way on a certain day and a completely different way the next. This affects strategy and makes it difficult for the pros to get comfortable.

While the oil is transparent and difficult to spot in person (not to mention on television), the PBA has a cool new idea that may allow fans a better understanding of the sport.

Bowling's governing body announced that it will be dying the oil blue so fans can see what sort of pattern is present on each lane. The oil was tested at the World Series earlier this month, and fans will be able to see how it looked when the championship airs on ESPN on Dec. 1.

"Throughout its history, it has been difficult to describe the challenges players face in our sport," PBA
Commissioner Tom Clark said in a statement. "How oil is applied to the lane, and how it transitions as competition progresses, is something no one is able to see with the naked eye, and those are critical variables in scoring and player strategy.

"For the first time ever, we're going to add dye to the oil so that bowling fans on site and watching at home on ESPN will literally be able to see how the pattern of oil looks on the lane. We are sure it will be educational and insightful for all levels of fans tuning in and we hope to learn from this experiment and improve it moving forward."

The blue playing surface worked for Boise State, so we can see why the PBA thought it would be a good idea.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:23 pm 

i think this is a great idea as a one-timer or to do occasionally. it will be very interesting to see the carry-down as the tv show progresses. id rather not see blue lanes week after week. i wonder how the bowlers feel about being able to visibly see the oil pattern? i am sure that some of the pros are better than others at sensing the changing lane patterns, but i imagine it wont make much of a difference to them. i dont think they will actually be able to see very well way down at the end of the lane anyway, but i can see how it will be interesting for the viewing audience.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:34 pm 

I'll actually be interested in watching with this addition. I'd be even more interested if the dye were invisible except to the tv viewers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I'll actually be interested in watching with this addition. I'd be even more interested if the dye were invisible except to the tv viewers.

This

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 pm 

605 tonight on a tough condition. Lanes 15-18 at Poplar Creek tend to deteriorate rapidly when it gets cold out (they're right in front of the door). They held a little longer than normal, but not by much. I will take the 5 points my team got, happily because we're back to being tied for first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
man of few opinions wrote:
i am sure that some of the pros are better than others at sensing the changing lane patterns, but i imagine it wont make much of a difference to them.

I guess Pete Weber doesn't need those oil fluorescent glasses any longer!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I have bowled once in the last six weeks.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Took rogue jr for his first bowling excursion yesterday at that Funway place in Batavia. Neither of us broke 100 :lol: :cry:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:17 pm 

Spent the weekend in Muskegon, MI (former home of Brunswick). We went bowling Friday and Saturday at 2 different houses. 204/260 on Friday night. Threw all 12 balls in the pocket on the 260. 2nd and 4th frames were both solid 10 pins. Also found the house had $6 pitchers of PBR, which the wife and I enjoyed handily. Last night, different house, 150/214. Spent the first game fighting with the lanes and dealing with 2 kids running up on the lanes. Always fun to go bowling with the in-law family, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:54 am 

Cool

Sounds like it's coming together.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 pm 

Bowling discussion on WGN just now. A guy called in to say a 300 is far more difficult than a hole-in-one. I could not disagree more. What say you, CSFMB?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
For professionals, a hole in one is without question the harder thing to do.

For an amateur I'd say the 300 is more difficult. And I don't mean the guy who bowls in a league one night a week with an Elmhurstian type average. I mean the guy who bowls 4 times a year with friends or a kids Bday party. Thats 12 perfect shots in a row he has to make. While the odds are incredibly small to get a hole in one, anybody has at least a minute chance to take a hack with a golf club and have the ball roll into the hole. Ball could hit the cart path, a tree, skip over water, and still-- by pure dumb luck-- roll into the cup.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Frank Coztansa wrote:

For an amateur I'd say the 300 is more difficult. And I don't mean the guy who bowls in a league one night a week with an Elmhurstian type average. I mean the guy who bowls 4 times a year with friends or a kids Bday party. Thats 12 perfect shots in a row he has to make. While the odds are incredibly small to get a hole in one, anybody has at least a minute chance to take a hack with a golf club and have the ball roll into the hole. Ball could hit the cart path, a tree, skip over water, and still-- by pure dumb luck-- roll into the cup.

+268 ( my high score bowling ) I've gotten two hole in ones and multiple hole outs from the fairway.
I'll likely never sniff a 275 or higher game bowling.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Now I would say getting an 800 series is tougher than getting a hole in one.

Never gotten an ace, but have come within a foot about 5 different times.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Agreed. I'm a terrible golfer, and even I've had a couple near hole in ones. In bowling, I've never even cracked 200.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:15 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Agreed. I'm a terrible golfer, and even I've had a couple near hole in ones. In bowling, I've never even cracked 200.

NOT A ATHLETE!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:26 pm 

I don't play golf.

What I do know is that with a few lucky breaks, you have a better shot at a 300 than you do if you are perfectly in the pocket for 12 straight balls (just ask Doug. He saw me throw 24 perfect balls in a row, with no 300 to come of it).

I would assume that hitting that small of a hole from 150 or so yards away is a lot harder.

But what the hell do I know?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:17 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
I don't play golf.

What I do know is that with a few lucky breaks, you have a better shot at a 300 than you do if you are perfectly in the pocket for 12 straight balls (just ask Doug. He saw me throw 24 perfect balls in a row, with no 300 to come of it).

I would assume that hitting that small of a hole from 150 or so yards away is a lot harder.

But what the hell do I know?

I'm with you. I golf far most often than I bowl. And I know I'm a lot more comfortable with a ball in my hand, than my hands around a long slender club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next