It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
redskingreg wrote:
Bowling discussion on WGN just now. A guy called in to say a 300 is far more difficult than a hole-in-one. I could not disagree more. What say you, CSFMB?

Hole in one is so much more difficult.

I don't know anybody who has 50 holes-in-one.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:19 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I don't play golf.

What I do know is that with a few lucky breaks, you have a better shot at a 300 than you do if you are perfectly in the pocket for 12 straight balls (just ask Doug. He saw me throw 24 perfect balls in a row, with no 300 to come of it).

I would assume that hitting that small of a hole from 150 or so yards away is a lot harder.

But what the hell do I know?

I'm with you. I golf far most often than I bowl. And I know I'm a lot more comfortable with a ball in my hand, than my hands around a long slender club.

You would rather have your hands on balls, instead of shaft?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
A local guy has 5 perfect games this year already (and an 824 series), Jack has 22 holes-in-one lifetime.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
redskingreg wrote:
Bowling discussion on WGN just now. A guy called in to say a 300 is far more difficult than a hole-in-one. I could not disagree more. What say you, CSFMB?

that's crazy talk. i actually have done both (although the 300 wasn't sanctioned), and on any given league night i feel like i could possibly throw a 300 under the right conditions. i know i will never hit another hole-in-one that isnt mini-golf. in our league last night we had one 300, one 297, one 290 one 283 and and a couple 800 series. thats just one night. i have witnessed a grand total of 1 hole-in-one in person in 25-30 years of playing, granted that is playing with a wide variety of variously-skilled golfers (mostly weekend hackers like me). i have played in my share of outings with some pretty good golfers though and have never felt like "today is the day i see a hole-in-one".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:35 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Chus wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

I would loosely equate it to -- regular house = putt-putt; pro tour = real golf course

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Chus wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

There have to be more 300 games than holes-in-one. I have no idea if there are more games bowled than there are holes of golf played though.

A cycle is more difficult than a no-hitter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
A cycle is more difficult than a no-hitter.

Especially if you're out of Midol(TM).

My wife, I think I'll keep her.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Chus wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I don't play golf.

What I do know is that with a few lucky breaks, you have a better shot at a 300 than you do if you are perfectly in the pocket for 12 straight balls (just ask Doug. He saw me throw 24 perfect balls in a row, with no 300 to come of it).

I would assume that hitting that small of a hole from 150 or so yards away is a lot harder.

But what the hell do I know?

I'm with you. I golf far most often than I bowl. And I know I'm a lot more comfortable with a ball in my hand, than my hands around a long slender club.

You would rather have your hands on balls, instead of shaft?

Yep. Give me balls in my hands any day.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:08 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Had my first 600 series. Been close but usually had a clunker in there to ruin it. Couldn't even get it done a couple weeks ago with my 235.

But was consistent today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:11 pm 

No doubt a 300 game is more common. But for some average schmoe, he has a better chance at one lucky shot that ends up being a hole in one vs playing a game of bowling, and throwing 12 perfect balls.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Had my first 600 series. Been close but usually had a clunker in there to ruin it. Couldn't even get it done a couple weeks ago with my 235.

But was consistent today.

:cheers:

Douchebag wrote:
No doubt a 300 game is more common. But for some average schmoe, he has a better chance at one lucky shot that ends up being a hole in one vs playing a game of bowling, and throwing 12 perfect balls.

This

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yup.

Earlier this year, I (along with Chus and Doug) saw Ugie yank his tee shot on a par 3 into a tree, only have to it ricochet out of there and onto the green about 20' from the cup.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:51 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
There is better technology in golf, too. Better balls for more distance or accuracy, more/less spin, etc. There are literally dozens of smartphone apps that can give you the distance (within a yard or 2) from where you are standing to where the pin. Clubs are better and club heads are bigger which allows for more margin of error in hitting the ball. Hell just the fact that there is a tee as opposed to hitting off of a clump of dirt is better.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:20 pm 

So it looks like I'm spending Memorial Day weekend in Reno at Nationals.

Sitting right around 191 on Tuesdays. Wife is getting me a new bowling ball for Christmas...getting the Storm Hy Road Pearl.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:14 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

Sitting right around 191 on Tuesdays. Wife is getting me a new bowling ball for Christmas...getting the Storm Hy Road Pearl.

Wife bought me the Storm Sync.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:29 am 

Chus wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Wife bought me the Storm Sync.

That's the ball I shot 289 and 299 with over the summer. It's a terrific ball. It's just a little too aggressive for my Thursday league.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:32 am 

as i mentioned earlier in the thread the sync is the best ball i have ever thrown. it really hits hard. however, i must report, when it first came out last winter half a dozen guys in my league including me purchased it. i am the only one still using it. the report from some of the other guys who have it was that the back end was TOO aggressive. that is exactly what i was looking for, so it worked out great for me, but some of these other guys who crank say they have trouble with it being TOO jumpy on typical league conditions. i am a lefty, and i found all i had to do was adjust my start point and increase my speed slightly and it gives me a very repeatable shot. this is my first storm ball, and i love it.

tossed a 633 last night after hovering around 600 the last 4 or 5 weeks. average is holding at exactly 200, maybe ill gain a pin this week. after a blistering start to the season, i threw a couple low 500's before thanksgiving that really hurt the average. last night felt good, like i am back to where i can start throwing some big series again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:26 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
as i mentioned earlier in the thread the sync is the best ball i have ever thrown. it really hits hard. however, i must report, when it first came out last winter half a dozen guys in my league including me purchased it. i am the only one still using it. the report from some of the other guys who have it was that the back end was TOO aggressive. that is exactly what i was looking for, so it worked out great for me, but some of these other guys who crank say they have trouble with it being TOO jumpy on typical league conditions. i am a lefty, and i found all i had to do was adjust my start point and increase my speed slightly and it gives me a very repeatable shot. this is my first storm ball, and i love it.

I'm not an absolute cranker, so an aggressive ball won't be a problem.

I got a 15 pound ball, so I can throw it harder, to counter the aggressive hook.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:58 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
What does too aggressive mean? That it hooks too much?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:15 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
What does too aggressive mean? That it hooks too much?

Yes

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 pm 

chus, you get that sync drilled yet, have you used it? im interested to hear your thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 pm 

chus, you get that sync drilled yet, have you used it? im interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I did. I like it, but it's too much on dry lanes. I shot 629 with my old ball last Thursday.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:27 pm 

yeah, some days it is hard to get it out far enough. i have had to move my starting point about 7 boards to the right (lefty) just to get it out there. some weeks i have to go even further than that. it is consistent though once you find the line. 668 this week, back up to a 202.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 am 

217-244-213-674 last night.

3 opens, all splits...unfortunately, one was the 10th frame of the 3rd game...cost me my 700 series :x

I did win King of the Hill, though, so that was nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
sjboyd0137 wrote:

3 opens, all splits...unfortunately, one was the 10th frame of the 3rd game...cost me my 700 series :x

Hopefully season two. That's my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 am 

nice shooting boyd, that should help the average a little. im hoping to keep the good times rolling tomorrow night, its time to get a 700.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 am 

redskingreg wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Hopefully season two. That's my favorite.

nice shooting boyd, that should help the average a little. im hoping to keep the good times rolling tomorrow night, its time to get a 700.

Up 2 more to 193. Makes up for the nonsense that is my Thursday league.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:20 am 

threw a 205-188-245-638 last night. finally started dealing in game 3 but poor spare shooting almost did me in in game 2. had 5 or 6 opens last night, 3 of them in the second game. the good news is the strikes are coming back in clusters and that hides a lot of spare shooting mistakes. i chopped the 4 pin on the 4-7 twice last night and missed a couple other makable spares. didnt leave any 7-pins or splits though. prior to last nights series i am up to 203 average (granted on a blocked house shot). i feel like i could sniff 208-210 by the end of the year if i can clean up my spares just a tiny bit.

i'm looking into buying a plastic ball for spares - is it typical when one uses a plastic spare ball for corner pins to purchase it a pound or two lighter? i throw a 16 pound ball typically, but feel like if i had a 14 pound plastic ball drilled straight up i could put some mustard on that baby and take a much more direct line. any thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:44 am 

threw a 205-188-245-638 last night. finally started dealing in game 3 but poor spare shooting almost did me in in game 2. had 5 or 6 opens last night, 3 of them in the second game. the good news is the strikes are coming back in clusters and that hides a lot of spare shooting mistakes. i chopped the 4 pin on the 4-7 twice last night and missed a couple other makable spares. didnt leave any 7-pins or splits though. prior to last nights series i am up to 203 average (granted on a blocked house shot). i feel like i could sniff 208-210 by the end of the year if i can clean up my spares just a tiny bit.

599 last night - 191-194-214-this was at the house I've been struggling at all year. No consistency on the shot, and I'm having trouble on my left side single pin spares (left 2 last night...of course it was the 10th frame of the last 2 games...sigh). Had my usual 3 splits that shouldn't have been splits in this place, too...but we took 7 from the 1st place team, so I digress.

i'm looking into buying a plastic ball for spares - is it typical when one uses a plastic spare ball for corner pins to purchase it a pound or two lighter? i throw a 16 pound ball typically, but feel like if i had a 14 pound plastic ball drilled straight up i could put some mustard on that baby and take a much more direct line. any thoughts on this?

I've not heard of buying a lighter plastic ball to get speed up...and honestly, my pro shop guy talked me out of the plastic spare ball back in July. I was having problems with my ball hooking back on 10 pin shots, and he talked me through an adjustment of moving about 3-5 more boards left depending on condition...I went from shooting about 50-60% 10 pins to about 90%, and haven't thought twice about the plastic ball.

Have you tried an adjustment like that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:53 pm 

yes, i have tried moving my starting position and my release point, but i have a hard time controlling the roll-out on my current spare ball (a 25 year old 16 lb black hammer drilled straight up). i cant get the ball to go long enough, and it starts to roll out on me and i end up air-balling the 7-pin on the inside or ditching it. i cant get the speed up enough to hold a direct line. i need something that will hydroplane all the way down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next